Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Loid Forget should kiss his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

What time period is Spy x Family supposed to be? I just thought it was odd that Ostania's got the SSS to the point people are worried about being suspected of espionage, but the country still has punks milling outside or dance clubs for people to go to.

Good question, it's like the Incredibles. It somehow takes place in 1964 while there're orb robots the size of parade floats being flown into towns on a rocket.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
It's broadly a 60s-70s mishmash, with stuff from other eras thrown in if Endo can't find whether or not it was around in the period.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

Twenty years later, Anya's wedding day as he walks her down the aisle, her half-siblings with Yor applauding, Loid realises he's feeling genuine emotions.

If my man doesn't realize his feeling are real when he and Yor "seal the deal" that will be some impressive dedication to self deception. Doubly so if holding his firstborn child doesn't get him to crack.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The war is nominally like WW2, the setting is somewhat Germany, and it's roughly 20-ish years after the war.

But it's also not exactly WW2, just like it's not the exact same dynamic between East and West, so it doesn't exactly have to be strictly 1 to 1 with the real world. The setting will do anything from the late 60s to the early 80s as need be to hit the "Cold War Spy Shenanigans" tone it wants.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

The war is nominally like WW2, the setting is somewhat Germany, and it's roughly 20-ish years after the war.

But it's also not exactly WW2, just like it's not the exact same dynamic between East and West, so it doesn't exactly have to be strictly 1 to 1 with the real world. The setting will do anything from the late 60s to the early 80s as need be to hit the "Cold War Spy Shenanigans" tone it wants.

I think the anime even said that it was the 2020s, judging from Yor's biographical data.

(Which would be extra-funny, given how another Cold War Jump manga surprised people by being set in the 90s.)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah the East/West Berlin setting is used more for 'vibes' than for a 1:1 geopolitical expy. Endo will give Ostania some markedly West Germany features (or viceversa) if it'll make for a funny gag or entertaining plot point. Like:

amigolupus posted:

What time period is Spy x Family supposed to be? I just thought it was odd that Ostania's got the SSS to the point people are worried about being suspected of espionage, but the country still has punks milling outside or dance clubs for people to go to.

While it's not like the eastern bloc was entirely devoid of counterculture or night life (I remember interviews with the members of Rammstein, who all grew up in the East and would reminisce about the local punk scene, though that was in the late 80s), you can flip that to the West and that'd basically be 1977. Hell, even under the nazis you still had groups like the Edelweiss Pirates being a general nuisance and beating up Hitlerian Youths all the way to the end of the war.

Rody One Half posted:

I think Loid Forget should kiss his wife.

Loid will kiss his wife but he will use the top secret spy technique of crossing his fingers while he does it, so it won't count.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One of the main reasons Loid should kiss his wife is that the alternative is Yor kissing her husband, and I'm not sure Loid would be able to survive that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think Loid and Yor will kiss before or during chapter 100. It'll be in a "we gotta prove we're married and act like a married couple" situation, but it'll happen and Anya will be around to see it and hear both their brains exploding over it. I also hope for one of these scenarios:

-Yor initiates the kiss on Loid
-Anya spends the whole chapter, maybe multiple chapters, trying to set up situations that will force them to kiss (probably through various "prove they're married" situations), and it keeps not happening. Then they get home after having an exhausting day out at a fairground or something (the place that Anya's kept trying to set up kiss situations) and kiss each other absentmindedly before they head off to their beds to sleep.

The natural arc of the manga is for Loid and Yor to fall in love for real, and I think a "fake kiss to prove we're married" or them just plain kissing in some shape or form will be well past due by that point.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 2, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Eden Academy itself is pretty clear evidence that Ostania isn't even pretending to be any sort of communist state.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, Eden Academy itself is pretty clear evidence that Ostania isn't even pretending to be any sort of communist state.

Communist states have always had elites and institutions that cater to them, though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Communist states have always had elites and institutions that cater to them, though

Yeah, but they're not usually so open about being for capitalists and aristocrats, right down to the insanely aggressive classism of their entrance exam. Place makes Eton look like an inner-city comprehensive.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's a post WWII vibe but the conflict seems more WWI where everyone on every side was wrong and it was a hosed up political situation more than anything.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

amigolupus posted:

Vaguely central Europe of the 70s/80s?
Theres no shadow of the USSR or the US/Allies (or their equivalents) over both nations (or at least not shown yet), but that period of time is super influential to the story.

Also the stasi existing didnt mean people just didnt go along with their lives or had no entertainment. An extensive black market and a vaguely tolerated grey market were both facets of East Germany.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's best not to think too hard about this. Anya gets to her East German British academy in an American school bus. The books have English titles with Japanese words and the contents are in English or Hiragana. Loid has a reel-to-reel color TV recorder. The fashions seem to be early 60s plus whatever they think looks cool.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
It's a glorious hodgepodge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just want to remind everyone that regardless of what the date on the calendar is there is a dog that can see the future and a five year old girl that can read minds; and potentially more characters with superpowers beyond Yor that will be introduced as well.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's a refreshing hodgepodge mix of 50's-70's Cold War-era flavored setting compared to the gazillion super lite Dragon Quest/LOTR/vaguely European Victorian/magic academy settings with circular cities and villages.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

RareAcumen posted:

I just want to remind everyone that regardless of what the date on the calendar is there is a dog that can see the future and a five year old girl that can read minds; and potentially more characters with superpowers beyond Yor that will be introduced as well.

Anya is subject 007 that's at least 2 of those popping up at some point

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SirKibbles posted:

Anya is subject 007 that's at least 2 of those popping up at some point

Well gently caress, thanks for spoiling me on the fact she's going to grow up to follow her father's footsteps :argh:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

amigolupus posted:

Same time period as Archer.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Ninteen Dickedy Five?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Same time period as Archer.

And Chainsaw Man?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Another binged the manga after the anime guy here. Loids backstory arc was real good. Just good stuff, here, in this manga.

Yor is objectively a higher powerlevel than Loid and this question should always be the main subject of all posts

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mabels big day posted:

Another binged the manga after the anime guy here. Loids backstory arc was real good. Just good stuff, here, in this manga.

Yor is objectively a higher powerlevel than Loid and this question should always be the main subject of all posts

:hai:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Loid is as strong as Nam, but a little weaker than Bacterian, while Yor is stronger than Goku when he fought Nappa, as long as neither is using the kaio-ken.

Yeah, that checks out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Loid is as strong as Nam, but a little weaker than Bacterian, while Yor is stronger than Goku when he fought Nappa, as long as neither is using the kaio-ken.

Yeah, that checks out.

That is Yor's resting powerlevel, not her "someone threatened Anya" level.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

All we can say for sure is that Yor is probably stronger than Yamcha.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Can Anya beat Yamcha at baseball?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Annointed posted:

No. She would destroy the baseball when she hit it, getting her disqualified

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Anya's stubby 4 year old legs wouldn't get her around the bases fast enough.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Could Anya used her telepathy to adjust her batting posture every time in order to walk a base on Yamcha?

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 3, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

OnimaruXLR posted:

Could Anya used her telepathy to adjust her batting posture every time in order to walk a base on Yamcha?

She tries but Yamcha accidentally hits her with the ball. He feels so ashamed he takes himself out of play.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:getin:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Billy, Age 6 :Origins

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am so loving hype for this. Billy Age 6 is the best joke in the entire manga.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
they went nuts on this episode

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yor's training regiment is just as good as Saitama's

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forgot how good the dodgeball stuff was, I was cracking up the entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://twitter.com/noiseman2454/status/1534254630271451136The crossover I never knew I always wanted.