Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

You know what would be awesome?

If DePaul committed to this series of events.

But he won't.

Because he sucks.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 5, 1919

And He Did! June 17, 1919

Cat Tales May 18, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 13, 1936

Mopsy January 22, 1938

Up Front May 21, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Snark? Barfe! August 4, 1952

Those Were the Days December 29, 1960

Wee Pals August 6, 1966

Dogbert May 16, 1967

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I'm unsure if we're supposed to think the teacher is right for hitting her student or not. The 70s were loving wild.

quote:

Footrot Flats

Holy poo poo.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Snark? Barfe! August 4, 1952

Let's not ignore the Soviet "Grrsky"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 2-4, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (May 19-21, 1919)

Dok's "Hasn't Read A Paper Recently" Duck (March 7, 1914)

John Lind was Woodrow Wilson's envoy to Mexico during a fairly ticklish part of the Revolution...the part immediately after Taft's US ambassador became a key figure in the overthrow and assassination of Madera. So yeah, it'd be a big deal if Lind went quiet.

Little Lefty (October 5-7, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (March 28-30, 1932)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 15, 1951)

That one dickhead's daughter is going to be piiiiiissed

Poil posted:

Let me guess: She never gets any instructions for how to care for them and most if not all of them will die?

And it will be all her fault because she is a spoiled rich airhead who used to be mean in high school.

That's an easy no. You don't even like this bitch. But then, now that Team Evans has decided to "rehabilitate" Tiff's character, she is not allowed to say no to anyone who might ever, once in a while, be a little bit sad.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

And so the privacy hut became the privacy mansion-except-for-Tiffany's-room-maybe

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2022: Anti-Communist* Baseball League *Collier's Magazine, 9/12/36

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Yay Tauhid! Also:

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Carson is my spirit animal.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

That's an easy no. You don't even like this bitch. But then, now that Team Evans has decided to "rehabilitate" Tiff's character, she is not allowed to say no to anyone who might ever, once in a while, be a little bit sad.

Yeah, saw this coming a million miles away.

Get ready for a few weeks of "arrgh Stef is an inconsiderate/messy house guest!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Mahdoton epätoivo is Finnish for Unfeasible Sadness. Kinda. Impossible Despair would be the literal translation.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dustin is becoming Marvin.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 25, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, saw this coming a million miles away.

Get ready for a few weeks of "arrgh Stef is an inconsiderate/messy house guest!"

meh as long as she moves it or pays for it being moved who cares if some boxes take up space in one of the billion rooms

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Do we know what syndicate or papers he'll debut in?

Not yet. I'll ask and see if he knows.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (May 9-10, 1991)

Shut up Nate.

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 19-20, 1991)

drat, having Nate and Calvin in the same post really hammers home how much the former is the dollar store knock-off of the latter.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/1/02

Brenda Starr 11/8-10/48

So not only is he a stalker, he has a thing for feet?

Smokey Stover 4/4/48

Everyday Movies 3/21/35

"Just think! This would be my second anniversary if I were still married to George."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Payndz posted:

drat, having Nate and Calvin in the same post really hammers home how much the former is the dollar store knock-off of the latter.

What was the name of the comic that had not-Calvin as the janitor of a school?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samovar posted:

What was the name of the comic that had not-Calvin as the janitor of a school?

Frazz

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Oh yeah, we also have some :siren:Crabgrass:siren: news via Tauhid's Patreon!

You can find his Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/7auhid

:toot:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 22, 1951)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Medenmath posted:

That joke about Arf being Val's biographer, oh my goodness.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Frazz, the strip where he constantly talks about how magic and life-affirming running is but the artist routinely struggles with depicting this. Panel after panel of this dude with one foot firmly planted on the ground and all his weight placed firmly on that foot while the other leg flaps in the air.

Also everybody's doing jazz hands constantly to dress up the fact that it's a "two heads talking in a void" strip.

Frazz is among the worst.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 11/8-10/48

So not only is he a stalker, he has a thing for feet?

So there's a 90% chance that the borrowed coat had an engagement ring in the pocket and Brenda is going to just "have" to say yes when Natural accidentally proposes.

Medenmath posted:

This is a really funny and sweet self-indulgent turn. I'm glad Arf makes it!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Frazz, the strip where he constantly talks about how magic and life-affirming running is but the artist routinely struggles with depicting this. Panel after panel of this dude with one foot firmly planted on the ground and all his weight placed firmly on that foot while the other leg flaps in the air.

Also everybody's doing jazz hands constantly to dress up the fact that it's a "two heads talking in a void" strip.

Frazz is among the worst.

Wasn't Frazz the character interdependently wealthy but chose to work as a school janitor to, uh, share his wisdom with kids?

not, you know, one of the positions where that'd actually be his job, but a janitor.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Frazz is independently wealthy from some song he wrote, which is relevant to the strip approximately 0% of the time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Plus bonus content for today's classic A+J.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Karen Moy is pretty good at writing completely unlikable dudes.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

You've done a great service, but I'll take it from here:

Curtis

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zereth posted:

Wasn't Frazz the character interdependently wealthy but chose to work as a school janitor to, uh, share his wisdom with kids?

not, you know, one of the positions where that'd actually be his job, but a janitor.

GoComics posted:

Frazz by Jef Mallett follows the adventures of an unexpected role model: an elementary-school janitor who's also a Renaissance man. While he's sweeping the hall, he's whistling Beethoven. Or Lyle Lovett. He paints the woodwork in the classrooms; he paints a Da Vinci on the cafeteria wall. He's a trusted authority figure who is every kid's buddy. He took the janitor's job while he was a struggling songwriter, and when he finally sold a hit song, he decided to stay on at school.

"A few years back, I wrote and illustrated a children's book," says Mallett. "When I was traveling around reading it at school assemblies, I noticed that often, the most respected, best-liked grown-up in the building was the janitor. And I thought, 'Hmm, there's a comic strip in that.'"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

is the resolution really just going to be that she's out having fun with friends now

lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple – Brian's Insides

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Drawing the last couple of comics, I have begun to feel the creative exhaustion lifting and a bit of focus coming back. Light duties are a great tonic, much better than a dead stop for me. Unfortunately, today (April 13th, long in your personal past) I also began manifesting our old friend “the Covid” so we will see if this rally continues or if I have to be boiled down for glue. You’ll be able to see based on activity in the “Upcoming Comics” list whether it was glue for me.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fnunny Onlonlonlon Animanimani Slamina Enilno Ynnuf!

Confusing Cross-Dressing Gender Metaphors Because So Far The Main Lioness We've Seen Isn't Just Bald

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Shugojin posted:

is the resolution really just going to be that she's out having fun with friends now

lol

"resolution" implies the story went anywhere to resolve, literally all of last week was him creeping on her Insta and going "WOW TEACHERS HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Bad reward for good deed (42/1937)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

At that angle, the K2 on the mug could almost be Loss.

The Family Circus