Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Although I confess that one of the things I liked about AoW Shadow Magic, that 3 backed off on, is being able to just absolutely loving wreck the game by building supercombatant heroes that can single-handedly throw down with an entire nation.

To counterbalance that, experienced units get a lot more powerful. A lowly archer can become a deadly leader killer with enough levels. Casters get new abilities and some units even evolve. Protect your lovely spiders long enough and they turn into terrifying gigaspiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I've played Surviving Mars to death but lately I have a hankering to play a terraforming game. I know there's a ton of Mars themed games out there, but are there any others where you take on other worlds or climates? Real or fictional worlds is ok. I'm a little over Mars. Have also played Planetbase, but that's more basebuilding than terraforming.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Alga Centauri is probably the closest example. It’s still one of the best Civ games out there.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
i just played through pillars of eternitt 2, well most of it, but I haven't played the first kne. is it worth getting or will it feel too janky?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

i just played through pillars of eternitt 2, well most of it, but I haven't played the first kne. is it worth getting or will it feel too janky?

Unless you're playing 2 in turn-based they're like 90% identical mechanically, 2 is more of an iterative sequel than a revolutionary one

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Unless you're playing 2 in turn-based they're like 90% identical mechanically, 2 is more of an iterative sequel than a revolutionary one

That said, you will absolutely notice some missing features and QoL going back to the first one. The setting is also much more traditional fantasy, which, while not bad, is nowhere near as interesting or engaging as PoE2.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Nuclear War posted:

Pillars 1 is one of my favorite games, though Pillars 2 of course surpasses it in pretty much every way. You miss out on turn-based mode, multiclassing, various combat tweaks like the penetration mechanic and weapon modals, overworld exploration and naval stuff, some quality of life changes, etc. Also, most abilities are per-rest instead of per-encounter, so you need to rest in order to replenish your stockpile of casts. If you don't mind that stuff it's a really big and well-made RPG without much jank, unless you count the occasional issue with pathfinding that you get in tight quarters. It's certainly worth a playthrough especially if you can get it cheap, and you get some fun reactivity importing your Pillars 1 save into Pillars 2 if you're up for another playthrough of that.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The thing I didn't know about PoE 1 when playing it was that the flavor texts you get about the background of NPCs were completely optional and written by backers and I spent the first 20h of the game reading them thinking they would include useful stuff and absolutely hated reading them. Just skip them and the game is much better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, any character with golden label is there to be murdered with extreme prejudice, unless you enjoy reading pages upon pages of the worst Sonic OC, do not steal fiction.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The thing I didn't know about PoE 1 when playing it was that the flavor texts you get about the background of NPCs were completely optional and written by backers and I spent the first 20h of the game reading them thinking they would include useful stuff and absolutely hated reading them. Just skip them and the game is much better.

Oh yeah this is an essential tactic to enjoying Pillars 1. If you stop to read that poo poo you will regret it. Avoid and/or kill ALL NPCs that have a gold banner over their head when you mouse over them.

Another thing I'd recommend: Options > Auto-Pause > Combat Auto-Slow. Slowing down the game speed during combat, either automatically or by hotkey, really enhances readability and helps cut down on the pausing you need to do.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

New game V Rising is super popular right now. Survival like Don't Starve and Valheim, but with top down Diablo camera, and you're vampires.

Great recommendation - some friends and I picked up V Rising and it's been pretty fun as a PvE co-op game. Solo is a good bit more difficult, and I have no idea what PvP would be like but I bet you need a lot of spare time to be effective.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My optometrist wants me to cover my good eye and do close up work while only looking with the bad one to train it. She says video games work fine for the task, unfortunately my bad eye is hot garbage. Are there games that are high contrast and don't really have a HUD or anything like that? Preferably something more complex than pong since I have to do it for two hours a day.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ensign Expendable posted:

My optometrist wants me to cover my good eye and do close up work while only looking with the bad one to train it. She says video games work fine for the task, unfortunately my bad eye is hot garbage. Are there games that are high contrast and don't really have a HUD or anything like that? Preferably something more complex than pong since I have to do it for two hours a day.

Infinitode 2 is a free tower defense where everything has both a unique shape and color. That might do the trick.

Failing that, maybe something like a JRPG? Gear management might be a little annoying but worst case you can probably get by doing upgrades only once every 2 hours with both eyes. Ara Fell is fun and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Golden Treasure of the Great Green is a text-based CYOA with large font if I remember correctly. That may be a poor choice if you can't read with your bad eye, but there's no time pressure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Depending on how bad that eye is, Superhot. Maybe Doom with a high contrast mod or setting, or something else with a little aim assist. Old Atari 2600 games.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Maybe Picross. I’ve been on a real kick lately, so please forgive me if this is not sufficient for your eye training. It meets at least some of your criteria at least.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Superhot seems like a good match, someone else suggested Cyberhook and that seems to have worked pretty well.

LLSix posted:

Infinitode 2 is a free tower defense where everything has both a unique shape and color. That might do the trick.

Failing that, maybe something like a JRPG? Gear management might be a little annoying but worst case you can probably get by doing upgrades only once every 2 hours with both eyes. Ara Fell is fun and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Golden Treasure of the Great Green is a text-based CYOA with large font if I remember correctly. That may be a poor choice if you can't read with your bad eye, but there's no time pressure.

Reading is out of the question, I'm afraid.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hey I don't know if this is possible/would help but I was able to do some cool eye training (I have a refractive amblyopia) in VR - turns out with a screen right in front of my bad eye it sees even better than my good eye! So I spent some time with my good eye closed in VR and it made marginal improvements in my bad eye's sight and my overall coordination

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hi all,
I haven't played games for a few years and am looking for a relatively short one to play while I have an unexpected amount of free time this week and weekend.
Stuff that I've played in the past and enjoyed: Metroidvanias like Ori and the lost forest and hollow knight, action-adventure games like Oneshot and Hyper Light Drifter, very chill games like Undertale and Night in the Woods.
I know that basically boils down to "good indie games from 2016-2018," but ah well.
So, I guess what I'm mostly asking is: what are some good indie games from the last couple of years with simple graphics (pixel or 2D drawn a la Hollow Knight/Night in the Woods), good music, and a good story? e: and preferably in the single digits of hours of play-time.
Apologies if there's an easier way to get a good answer to this question, I don't spend much time in Games, but I thought I'd ask.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

smug n stuff posted:

Hi all,
I haven't played games for a few years and am looking for a relatively short one to play while I have an unexpected amount of free time this week and weekend.
Stuff that I've played in the past and enjoyed: Metroidvanias like Ori and the lost forest and hollow knight, action-adventure games like Oneshot and Hyper Light Drifter, very chill games like Undertale and Night in the Woods.
I know that basically boils down to "good indie games from 2016-2018," but ah well.
So, I guess what I'm mostly asking is: what are some good indie games from the last couple of years with simple graphics (pixel or 2D drawn a la Hollow Knight/Night in the Woods), good music, and a good story? e: and preferably in the single digits of hours of play-time.
Apologies if there's an easier way to get a good answer to this question, I don't spend much time in Games, but I thought I'd ask.

Chicory: A Colorful Tale
A Short Hike

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 2, 2022

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Hwurmp posted:

Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Seconding this

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Yoku's Island Express

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ori got a sequel in Will of the Wisps if you haven't played it. Is very good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

smug n stuff posted:

Hi all,

Rogue Legacy

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Please immediately play Shovel Knight.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Umurangi Generation if you’re willing to play a 3D game. It’s good, but I’d say the story is more up to you to ponder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does PC have any mecha games available that fit into the niche between Battletech "I'm just controlling a slowass tank on legs." and the typical Japanese "This is has absolutely zero weight."
I really want to play something in-between those two extremes but can't find anything.

I think the only game I played that fits that criteria is Front Mission Evolved and it wasn't that great.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

smug n stuff posted:

Hi all,

Donut County is short but cool. Hole-based mischief and shenanigans. 1-2 hrs
Celeste if you haven't tried it yet. Infuriating platformer with a great story. ~10 hrs
Coffee Talk is closer to a VN than a 'proper' game, but it really hits that relaxing spot and has nice pixel art. ~2-3 hrs 2064: Read Only Memories has a similar look and vibe but it's more of a mystery point-and-click adventure, if that's more your thing. ~8 hrs
Enter the Gungeon is a shoot-em-up roguelite. Very silly, with lots of gun puns. Nice pixel art too, though the screen can get a bit overloaded at times.
Oxenfree, maybe? It's a paranormal mystery, but it actually reminds me a bit of Night in the Woods in the way it's played. Good story. ~8 hrs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

smug n stuff posted:

Hi all,

Inside is short (you can complete it in an evening) but has an incredible atmosphere.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Does PC have any mecha games available that fit into the niche between Battletech "I'm just controlling a slowass tank on legs." and the typical Japanese "This is has absolutely zero weight."
I really want to play something in-between those two extremes but can't find anything.

I think the only game I played that fits that criteria is Front Mission Evolved and it wasn't that great.

My go-to for this is a PS2 emulator and an iso for Armored Core 2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shine posted:

My go-to for this is a PS2 emulator and an iso for Armored Core 2.

I don't know anything about Armored Core but why specifically 2?is it considered to be the best one?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know anything about Armored Core but why specifically 2?is it considered to be the best one?

To me, it is. AC3's maps felt obnoxiously small (I felt like I got "leaving mission area" far more), and I remember thinking Nexus was just okay. AC2 and AC2: Another Age are the series peak for me. I'm also partial to the old "shoulder buttons to strafe and raise/lower aim" control scheme, as it feels more like I'm controlling a toy robot than the more modern twin-stick controls, and it never frustrated me because most fire control systems have a large aim assist.

E: but yeah, that series in general sounds like what you're looking for. The mobility sits right in-between MechWarrior and weightless anime parkour robots. Mobile enough to feel dynamic, but still satisfyingly weighty. But sadly it's mostly a PlayStation series, with the final installments also on X360.

Shine fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 2, 2022

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations - lots of good options. I went and got Chicory, have played ~3 hours so far and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who made recommendations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Crossposting from the 40K thread in TG as I forgot we have a game recommendation thread here.
What 40K video games are worth playing? They seem to have churned out fifty or so the last time I blinked so I'm not overly familiar with whats out there and worth it.

I've played:
- The original Dawn of War and liked it okay? I'm not a huge RTS guy but the smaller squad focus was interesting.
- Space Marine, loving excellent, probably my favourite 40K game I've ever played

I've heard good things about Chaos Gate Daemonhunters but don't know that I want to buy that at full price, and I've heard good things about Mechanicus. I seem to recall one of the Battlefleet Gothic games getting talked up but I don't know what one? And then looking at the Skulls sale on Steam at the moment there's a bunch of poo poo I've never heard of like Gladius, Battlesector, Horus Heresy Legions, Battle Sister, and Inquisitor. Any of these worth picking up?

Fake Edit: Space Wolves. Sanctus Reach. Space Hulk Tactics. Armageddon. Two different Necromunda games?? Jesus there are a lot of 40K games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Crossposting from the 40K thread in TG as I forgot we have a game recommendation thread here.
What 40K video games are worth playing? They seem to have churned out fifty or so the last time I blinked so I'm not overly familiar with whats out there and worth it.

I've played:
- The original Dawn of War and liked it okay? I'm not a huge RTS guy but the smaller squad focus was interesting.
- Space Marine, loving excellent, probably my favourite 40K game I've ever played

I've heard good things about Chaos Gate Daemonhunters but don't know that I want to buy that at full price, and I've heard good things about Mechanicus. I seem to recall one of the Battlefleet Gothic games getting talked up but I don't know what one? And then looking at the Skulls sale on Steam at the moment there's a bunch of poo poo I've never heard of like Gladius, Battlesector, Horus Heresy Legions, Battle Sister, and Inquisitor. Any of these worth picking up?

Fake Edit: Space Wolves. Sanctus Reach. Space Hulk Tactics. Armageddon. Two different Necromunda games?? Jesus there are a lot of 40K games.

You've played the best already. BFG is pretty good, and Chaos Gate is apparently not bad buy has issues. Stay tuned for Space Marine 2 and the recently announced Rogue Trader rpg by Owlcat (the Pathfinder crpg guys).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mode 7 posted:

I've played:

Have you played Dawn of War 2 and expansions? It's less of a RTS than the first but it's still OK. I heard the 3 is garbage though

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Less of an RTS is a selling point for me so I'm likely to check it out as it's also been recommended a few times in the 40K thread!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Less of an RTS is a selling point for me so I'm likely to check it out as it's also been recommended a few times in the 40K thread!

It plays more like a real time tactics RPG. You have only a few units, all of which are characters either solo or leading a small squad, and they all level up and have gear slots. You move around like an RTS, use cover and stuff, but there is no base building or tech trees or anything. It's dope.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've heard the Battlefleet Gothic games are good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just got done buying, playing, and refunding Battlesector. It's apparently a pretty faithful recreation of tabletop 40k but I just didn't understand the rules or mechanics enough to follow what was going on, plus only 2 playable factions is a big bummer for me.

Dawn of War 2: Retribution is the best Dawn of War 2 campaign. It has several factions (6?) that all play differently. Unfortunately every faction has (I think?) the same campaign missions and it's pretty short (10 missions). It also has a fun co-op wave survival mode called Last Stand that I put way more time into than the actual campaign.

Dawn of War 1 had like 6 different versions, Dark Crusade had the best campaign but you have to like RTS to like it.

Necromunda: Hired Gun is a fun WH40k FPS but it's real short and stops doing anything new after like 4 missions
(Note: NOT Necromunda: Underhive Wars)

There's a Space Marine sequel coming soon.

Battlefleet Gothic is indeed pretty good and fun.

I haven't played the new Chaos Gate, I've heard mixed things with people either loving it or thinking it was mediocre.

The old Chaos Gate was a great x-com clone:
https://www.gog.com/en/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate

There's a cool 40k total conversion for the original X-Com UFO defense I've been playing recently:
https://openxcom.mod.io/40k

Gladius is a very combat-focused 4x game. I can't really get into it because it is like pure 4x combat nonstop which is not my kind of thing. But it seems like a good one.

Inquisitor is a fine Diablo clone with a WH40k theme but nothing worth going out of your way for

People like Mechanicus but I found it pretty flat because there wasn't much variety and the balance got way out of wack toward the end

And of course the upcoming WH40k Rogue Trader CRPG by the people who made the Pathfinder games.

I think that covers every 40k game that's worth even considering.

e: If you want to include Warhammer Fantasy:
Total Warhammer 1
Total Warhammer 2
(Not Total Warhammer 3... yet. Hopefully in the future)
Vermintide 1 & 2 but only if you have friends to play with

And that's uhh, I think that's about it.

e: My own request:
Can anyone recommend non-FPS online co-op or pvp games that can be played in short bursts (~20 minutes)? I play a lot of Legion TD2 right now to fill that niche but I need something new. I'm totally out of touch with multiplayer games. Prefer things that aren't all about fast reflexes and precision movements (so strategy games, turn-based stuff, etc is ideal).

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

chainchompz posted:

I've played Surviving Mars to death but lately I have a hankering to play a terraforming game. I know there's a ton of Mars themed games out there, but are there any others where you take on other worlds or climates? Real or fictional worlds is ok. I'm a little over Mars. Have also played Planetbase, but that's more basebuilding than terraforming.

Possibly Planet Crafter. It is basically Subnautica, but on Mars a desolate planet that starts off red. Terraforming is part resource sink, part research; you unlock new tools and buildings by reaching terraforming milestones.