Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Good soup! posted:

What in the gently caress are you talking about in any of your posts lmao

Lol yeah those posts are weird

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

This especially boggles my mind.

'Like as a person grows, what they like shrinks.'

This is the exact opposite of my experience.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

And Rap music boiled pop music down to its core of -just loop of some sound, and turn it down low enough, so the listener can bask in the glory of the words.

I'm sorry what

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It says something really horrifying that a song with a movie lore dump is very popular "We don't care about bruno."

It's a song from a popular musical you mother loving dork lmao

quote:

And the people who just use music as a lyric delivery system will slowly transition to other media.

Are you on drugs

quote:

And with the rise of podcasts and youtube, I think that took out a huge chunk of the audience that gave a poo poo about music.

And radio will never die, but it's lack of importance will make it feel like it died.

no seriously what in the gently caress are you actually talking about, are you unaware of the sheer, mind boggling, enormous amount of music being thrown online every single day

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I don't think of music in terms of good or bad anymore. My two categories are "respectable' and 'Stuff I like'

oh my god lol

quote:

And from a personal subjective review, there is a lot less great music coming out today, and a lot less great music that was made in the past.
Like as a person grows, what they like shrinks.
Every day there are more and more songs I regret wasting time on because they don't do something interesting, or because I didn't like it as much.

I'd wager my musical tastes have expanded massively since childhood and I'd wager a lot of other people's have as well???

Bro this poo poo is insufferable, shut the gently caress up hahaha

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm mostly mad nobody responded to my inaugural musicpost ITT which was about how Eric Clapton's version of "I Shot the Sheriff" is the worst cover of all time

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This reminds me of that guy who got laughed out of gbs years ago because he claimed he had no interest in listening to any other music other than his own because he had become "musically self sufficient" or some poo poo lol

gently caress I gotta find that thread

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

I'm mostly mad nobody responded to my inaugural musicpost ITT which was about how Eric Clapton's version of "I Shot the Sheriff" is the worst cover of all time

yeah it's super loving bad

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i prefer most of my music as a rhythm delivery system

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

loquacius posted:

That's a solid and correct opinion. I find it amusing that Clapton's biggest hits I know are JJ Cale covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNUJSuO-lgw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Terrified and shaking at hearing songs from Fiddler on the Roof on popops radio station, music I consider respectable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
at the end of the day, most normal people want music that can hold a steady job and raise a law-abiding family.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/janeosanders/status/1532131766072496129?t=Djv6E8VSlJKCPpj3pEgHQw&s=19

Let's go, Jane!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

lmao is that bernowife? :bernpop:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

i actually felt that trap music c. 2017-2018 really made the production the centerpiece of the track, much moreso than the rapping. i really dug the beats that metro boomin, buddah bless, etc. were making around that time, and they were often in service of rappers like 21 savage, who... are not exactly biggie smalls when it comes to lyricism or flow

rap music for the last decade has been insanely instrumental driven. the way beats have evolved from lex luger - chief keef - metro boomin - pierre bourne - the current uk/ny drill is a much bigger influence on how the music itself is constructed than the other way around

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Jun 2, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

playboi carti, easily one of the most influential rappers of the last five years, basically just does yelping adlibs to give his beats room

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Jun 2, 2022

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

lmao is that bernowife? :bernpop:

of all people she knows about expensive vanity projects

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

duomo posted:

lmao tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

duomo posted:

:bernget20:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://twitter.com/RacismFactory/status/1532100611042336768?t=bQ5Q4tAXHLenxBdaTD-iDw&s=19

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

duomo posted:

get her rear end!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Edit: wrong window, soup!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

drat. Now who's going to fund yet another attempt at recapturing the magic of Goodfellas with an even more decrepit De Niro and Pesci?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anything that's not billion dollar franchise slop is a vanity project

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There was merit to the idea of The Irishman, and there was a good movie buried in there somewhere, and it very well might have been the friendliest American movie toward organized labor since Newsies (which granted is saying very little) but they really did just refuse to tell Scorsese no on anything and he went all gamemaster anthony on it

If he was that committed to the digital age editing thing, he needed to be told to cast, at the oldest, middle-aged dudes that could be digitally aged up or down a little, not exclusively his ancient decrepit friends who really couldn't be effectively aged down fifty loving years, and the movie was literally twice the length it needed to be

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That said I really can't argue with the Pacino casting, he really just put in his sharpest dentures and went to loving town on that scenery with them. Every other casting sucked.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Seeing a de-aged Deniro attempt to appear young while moving like an elderly man emerging from a metamucil coma and looking for his Hoveround was completely worth hundreds of millions of dollars

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
it's a perfect movie. throw it on, and you're right there with em drooling in a senior care facility by the end

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will admit that I have a soft spot for The Irishman because my first time hearing about it was a donut twitter person calling it berniebro trash (lmao) but that doesn't get it that far in the end

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the de-aging stuff didn't bother me because it felt like they were supposed to look like busted old men even when playing a 40 yo. it is a little overlong but no more than wolf on wall street i'd say

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

That said I really can't argue with the Pacino casting, he really just put in his sharpest dentures and went to loving town on that scenery with them. Every other casting sucked.

Pesci was fantastic

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the de-aging stuff didn't bother me because it felt like they were supposed to look like busted old men even when playing a 40 yo. it is a little overlong but no more than wolf on wall street i'd say

Yea guys just looked like that back then, it was all the smoking. Irishman was fantastic, despite the anti fenianism inherit in it's casting decisions.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Good soup! posted:

I'm sorry what

don't be mean to mazzi chart czar, their posting is cool and adds a little spicy flavor to the pop culture thread no matter what the actual opinion they're espousing is

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
My beef with the Irishman is that it was firmly stuck in a very Boomer belief that the Mafia killed Kennedy.

A waste of Jesse Plemons too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I've only caught a couple details here or there as the whole thing went on but I think I saw somewhere today that the jury wasn't isolated? Just full access to all the memes and discourse and poo poo

lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this attempt to squeeze the depp/heard trial into a culture war framework provokes a reaction in me like i'm looking at an alligator with its jaws open beckoning me to stick my hand into it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Your hand huh

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know what johnny did or did not do but he looks like he could play a huge sleazeball if any movie needs that role filled

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Emile Hirsch can do anything Johnny Depp can do and better.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Good soup! posted:

I'd wager my musical tastes have expanded massively since childhood and I'd wager a lot of other people's have as well???

No, (gonna shoot for the moon) and say no, what people see as a massive expansive is skin deep.
Maybe from Birth to your teenage years there was a growth. But teenage years to now, that growth was tiny, maybe even some regression.

Good soup! posted:

I'm sorry what
It has a beat and you can dance to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RuIga3vdk

I am a shallow music listener.

Here is "Peg" by Steely Dan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo
and
"The music sounds better with you" by Stardust (A sample from Shaka Khan's fate) . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf244LCkkLc

Anybody who hears these songs would say they are completely and utterly different.
Two styles, decades apart. You would think I was dumb to say that these songs are pretty much the same song.

Do you hear it?

Dun Dun Duuuuun
Dun Dun Duuuuun
Dun Dun Duuuuun

There are a lot of differences, Peg has more flair with other instruments, and pitch changes, a more complex 4/4 dum beat, and .... of course Lyrics..."it's your favorite foreign movie"
But that core melody is the same.

How many bands are just Ramones, or Black Sabbath, rip offs? Or rip the kinks? Or chuck berry and Bo Diddly?
Axis of Awesome: 4 chord songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

Good soup! posted:

Bro this poo poo is insufferable, shut the gently caress up hahaha

Vsauce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAcjV60RnRw

Common Meter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZqR_M20Y48

Good soup! posted:

It's a song from a popular musical you mother loving dork lmao

That song is Weird. You live in side that culture where knowledge of that movie is assumed

It would be like if the song "Let it go" had lyrics about the other characters in the story and plot about the movie.
I didn't need to see the bodyguard to like the song from it, or see Batman to understand "Kiss from a Rose." by seal.
"Somewhere over the rainbow," doesn't even mention a Golden Road.

Good soup! posted:

no seriously what in the gently caress are you actually talking about, are you unaware of the sheer, mind boggling, enormous amount of music being thrown online every single day

So what if people throw out millions of songs a day onto the internet?
So what if people throw out millions of words onto the internet? People don't give a poo poo.

How many songs made in the last three years have you listened to more than 10 times that wasn't on the radio or some spotify playlists.
Look at deluge of Lofi Hip Hop youtube video and tell me that people would give a poo poo about knowing the name of the artist or song.
People loved vapor wave because it was disposable, and they didn't have to care about it.

Good soup! posted:

oh my god lol
I can't say "This song is good." Because there will be thousands of people who will so "No. That's is a bad song" to every song for billions of different reasons.
Do you have the arrogance to be the arbiter of what is good and bad art?
Because I can't do that any more. I can't tell that people a song is good and just watch them be bored out of their mind as they listen to it.
Go ahead. Post a bunch of "good" songs. It will be a messed up game of people ripping your taste apart like hunk of meat in front of dogs.

Good soup! posted:

Are you on drugs
Nobody reads poetry anymore because it's pussy poo poo.
But people like word play tho. Rappers are made in English classrooms reciting lines from Shakespeare, that is why they so easily go into film and television if they don't get into producing or general business.

How many instrumental songs do really like? How often do you hum along with a song instead of just yelling it's chorus?

Tom Multon "Hum a Jay Z song." See if anybody can recognize it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6014HuxcE

Here is a video of a stadium of people Mumbai India singing the most popular song in the world to an Indian cricket player, Sachin Tendulkar.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sBzZhnIJ9_g

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 11:12 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcfAlGuqVE

I like this song because it makes me think about Amsterdam