Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

You use a lot of acronyms without spelling them out, I am guessing anyone in lab pharma know terms like CLIA, RNA and DNA but just consider that you may be getting read by a non technical HR person and they, god forbid, may be the filter on which resumes are passed along.
Anyone who has lived through the last two years should know what RNA and DNA are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks (for reading my post this time :cheeky:)! I think the font consistencies may be because I screencapped the image, but I'll double check that again. Def included the certs and pubs still, I just didn't change anything there save for the omissions suggested earlier.

I'm definitely taking a complete look over the resume every morning, but I'm going to focus on the bullet point you singled out. I feel like it's maybe to do with the action verb "improved"? Hmmm.

I don't really understand that bullet point at all, and it could very well be that I lack context. Can you explain that maybe in a few sentences? From my process-oriented perspective it sounds like you made a pretty significant process improvement that took a big chunk of time out of a critical process, but I don't quite get the full read from what you wrote.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't really understand that bullet point at all, and it could very well be that I lack context. Can you explain that maybe in a few sentences? From my process-oriented perspective it sounds like you made a pretty significant process improvement that took a big chunk of time out of a critical process, but I don't quite get the full read from what you wrote.

Oh shoot, my bad on the delayed reply! I think your read on it is pretty accurate - I basically decreased the total time it takes from "researcher puts in resource request" to "delivering the resources to said researcher" by improving our labeling procedures, getting more appropriate/dedicated tools, that kinda thing. Part of what I'm struggling with here is the 'product' part of this stuff, cause I've never really considered the tissues/resources we send out as products, so it's more difficult for me to highlight these kinds of achievements in my career.

I'm taking a look at the resume again and I may change "Improved product request completion by..." to "Decreased product request completion time by..." Thoughts? Adding the 'time' in there I feel makes it a bit more clear that it's, like you said, process improvement oriented.

EDIT: one more wording question! I'm trying to make a bullet point fora the work I did in helping my first career job expand into Sao Paolo, Brazil, and I'm struggling to capture it concisely. I extracted >300 samples of DNA for the NIA grant that the laboratory required to get off the ground, but I also personally, and was the only technician, to train the future director of the lab. And I trained him on literally everything that we did in our lab at the time. The line that I spat out real quick is "Extracted >300 samples of DNA as part of an NIA grant for, and trained the director of, a brand new expansion laboratory in Sao Paolo, Brazil" but that's really bad. Any advice on this sentence?

I can't believe I forgot about it until just the other day, that's a significant accomplishment of mine that I just.. haven't thought about in like almost 8 years :psyduck:

SECOND EDIT: just came up with this for my wording question, it's better but still ehhhhh "Tasked as the sole technician to train the future director of an NIA-funded laboratory expansion in Sao Paolo, Brazil"

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 30, 2022

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I've negotiated and accepted a great offer today and drat am I glad to have finished the job hunt. I took a redundancy a few months back which gave me the luxury to be super picky about what jobs I've gone for. Obligatory Sankey diagram:

The two pre-interview withdrawals were roles advertised through recruitment agencies. Both sounded good on paper but when I got called back for interviews and found out what organisations they were for, I pulled out. One was a government gig which had the KPI of improving public perceptions of an agency which does everything it can to make its users' lives miserable, and the other was a for-profit aged care business which has a shocking record.

Post-interview withdrawal was for a medical research non-profit which sounded amazing but halfway through the interview I realised I just really, really did not like the vibe of the hiring manager - they were really patronising, spent most of the time talking at me about themselves, tried to start weird arguments about strategy, and had terrible organisation and time management. I should have walked out instead of having to sit through the rest of it.

The role I declined was because they wouldn't budge on salary. Having the redundancy cash gave me the confidence to negotiate hard, so I was happy to walk away when they wouldn't meet my needs.

And the accepted role is one I'm legitimately excited about and a great progression from my last job. I negotiated up to the top of the salary band (it's a university), benefits are excellent, and only two days a week in the office. Cha ching!

Jumpsuit fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 31, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That is an absurdly high hit rate my dude, congrats!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jumpsuit posted:

I've negotiated and accepted a great offer today and drat am I glad to have finished the job hunt. I took a redundancy a few months back which gave me the luxury to be super picky about what jobs I've gone for. Obligatory Sankey diagram:

And the accepted role is one I'm legitimately excited about and a great progression from my last job. I negotiated up to the top of the salary band (it's a university), benefits are excellent, and only two days a week in the office. Cha ching!

W2G and ty for the diagram!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sankey diagrams are dope

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Had a job interview I didn’t think went very well, and then mid-last week I got an offer. An offer that was…lucrative in terms of total comp, and a huge step up in hourly pay from my current job ($7/hr increase to be exact). Problem is, not sure the shift they wanna put me on will work for me and my family, which is my wife, me, and two young kids. It’s incredibly hard to walk away from this offer. Would it be acceptable to go back to them and say the proposed shift wouldn’t work, I could make it work with (x) shift? Pay increase notwithstanding, the benefits, especially the 401(k), are outstanding. I’m willing to walk away, though.

Now—how does one take an offer to their current employer and say, “hey, this company thinks I’m worth this much”? My current company gave some people raises but I didn’t get one despite being the second-best performer there, probably because my time there has been short compared to others. But their main problem is pay and they are hemorrhaging aircraft mechanics hard. I just don’t wanna overestimate my value to the company.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
1. Yes, you can negotiate shift. I would assume this is not a thing that commonly works super well since they can't really compromise on their own shift needs but if it's a deal breaker, tell them it's a deal breaker.

2. You can bring the offer to your current company. Some people will talk doom and gloom about how it means you'll be fired in 6 months, but I don't really think thats realistic, especially right now. However, it will probably not mean as big of a raise as you think, or maybe no raise at all. It is not the best way to change where you are in the comp curve and long-term probably means you will not be rewarded ("We gave LIKM that adjustment because of his offer, he doesn't need as big of a raise").

Also, if you bring another offer, they don't match, then you don't take the offer because of the shift you've now basically sunk any leverage you have because you just signaled to them you are perfectly ok with the total comp package. So don't ever bring an offer to your current employer unless you are willing to actually take it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Gonna have to continue my longstanding disagreement with Lockback on this subject, asking your current employer that has repeatedly slapped you in the face already to match another company's offer is a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, only one of which is they'll probably dump you as soon as they can find a cheaper replacement (the only thing that's changed in the current economy is it's taking a lot longer to find a cheaper replacement right now).

Much better idea: just jump to the company that values you, and leave behind the company that has made it clear they don't.

However--nothing short of actual starvation and homelessness is worth damaging your family life for. Did you go into the interview process knowing this is the shift they were hiring for, or did that come about later in the process? Was there never a discussion as to what shift you would be working before the offer came in? Or did you go through the process knowing it was for a shift you didn't want, for the exact purpose of getting an offer you can take back to your current employer? Be honest with yourself and us about this, it's important for the clarity you need to make this decision.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 31, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

1. Yes, you can negotiate shift. I would assume this is not a thing that commonly works super well since they can't really compromise on their own shift needs but if it's a deal breaker, tell them it's a deal breaker.

2. You can bring the offer to your current company. Some people will talk doom and gloom about how it means you'll be fired in 6 months, but I don't really think thats realistic, especially right now. However, it will probably not mean as big of a raise as you think, or maybe no raise at all. It is not the best way to change where you are in the comp curve and long-term probably means you will not be rewarded ("We gave LIKM that adjustment because of his offer, he doesn't need as big of a raise").

Also, if you bring another offer, they don't match, then you don't take the offer because of the shift you've now basically sunk any leverage you have because you just signaled to them you are perfectly ok with the total comp package. So don't ever bring an offer to your current employer unless you are willing to actually take it.

Well said.

Echoing: If you're just gonna say no, you can try to negotiate shift. If you bring an offer to your current, you better be ready to take it if they say no.

Also GJ on OP for realizing it aint worth trading life for a few bucks an hour. Sometimes you HAVE to, but hopefully you're not in that position.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I believe LIKM is an A&P and those dudes are not getting fired right now. You have a ton of market power, but it's very hard as an A&P to buck the salary structure of your current place without a concrete offer in hand and a credible threat to walk. That space just works differently from normal corporate office stuff and the normal expectation is that you get slapped in the face a bunch on pay raises. If you really want to stay at your place, you can ask to match. It may not be great long term but I bet your place will do it and you won't get fired, and they won't plan your replacement like they would at a white collar job. You are now also the guy who asked for a sizeable raise so you will not be well liked by management; make sure you have the capabilities and capital to deal with this.

The offer is for third, I presume, or some other night shift. You won't get the same pay for days (assuming that's what you are trying to do). You can always try to negotiate the offer but if you say "I can only do another shift" I doubt they will give you the same money. Also, if you try to match at your current place and the offer is for a different shift they will rightly tell you it's not comparable.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Did you go into the interview process knowing this is the shift they were hiring for, or did that come about later in the process? Was there never a discussion as to what shift you would be working before the offer came in? Or did you go through the process knowing it was for a shift you didn't want, for the exact purpose of getting an offer you can take back to your current employer? Be honest with yourself and us about this, it's important for the clarity you need to make this decision.

I had an idea from a former coworker who just went there, but decided it was worth the interview to hear from the supervisors what the shifts really were so I could make a decision. But there wasn’t a concrete discussion regarding the shift, just a general reference to discuss with my wife to decide what we’d be willing to make work. I took the interview with the express purpose of possibly taking the job should it be offered, but one thing I didn’t really know before interviewing was that it’s a line maintenance job, meaning I won’t be working in a hangar and the tasks will be different. I spent six years doing that in the military and I am not too keen on doing it again. That said, for total comp, I might be willing to make an exception for experience on a new larger airframe that would make me more desirable to major airlines down the line, I hope.

As an aside, we tend to be pretty open in my industry about hourly pay, so this former coworker told me his starting pay. Mine came in in that ballpark, slightly higher, so it would have been a crime to not interview when offered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I believe LIKM is an A&P and those dudes are not getting fired right now. You have a ton of market power, but it's very hard as an A&P to buck the salary structure of your current place without a concrete offer in hand and a credible threat to walk. That space just works differently from normal corporate office stuff and the normal expectation is that you get slapped in the face a bunch on pay raises. If you really want to stay at your place, you can ask to match. It may not be great long term but I bet your place will do it and you won't get fired, and they won't plan your replacement like they would at a white collar job. You are now also the guy who asked for a sizeable raise so you will not be well liked by management; make sure you have the capabilities and capital to deal with this.

The offer is for third, I presume, or some other night shift. You won't get the same pay for days (assuming that's what you are trying to do). You can always try to negotiate the offer but if you say "I can only do another shift" I doubt they will give you the same money. Also, if you try to match at your current place and the offer is for a different shift they will rightly tell you it's not comparable.

You are correct, I am an A&P.

One shift option is for days, but the info I have is from the supervisors related to me by the recruiter. The offer doesn’t have any other parameters or whatever, just the pay.

I’m on the fence about taking the offer to my current employer. Part of me wants more experience in general and possible promotion to lead at some point (though people are leaving us in droves, including leads—there’s a chance even at my current skill level I will end up being a lead since they will have trouble hiring people for the same pay that is causing others to leave).

I’m also going to school for my mech. engineering degree, or will be soon, so not sure a night shift is for me in any scenario, though my wife and I still are having a hard time not making it work for the comp.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If Kyoon is right about the market for A&P right now then sure what the hell take the offer to your current employer, if they fire you you'll be unemployed for about ten minutes sounds like.

One of the really crucial elements to general success in life is when you have leverage use it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is your current place a shitshow and do you want to stay there? No point in making lead at a place that's bad, all you will do is learn bad habits.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is your current place a shitshow and do you want to stay there? No point in making lead at a place that's bad, all you will do is learn bad habits.

They are kind of a poo poo show, but I like the lead I currently work for, he’s a walking airplane maintenance manual and he is about to teach me to run engines and taxi. Problem is, he says he’s taught others in the past and then they popped smoke and went to another company.

My hesitation with leaving is mainly some jitters, last-minute cold feet telling me I’m not ready to move on and need more experience before I do.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If Kyoon is right about the market for A&P right now then sure what the hell take the offer to your current employer, if they fire you you'll be unemployed for about ten minutes sounds like.

One of the really crucial elements to general success in life is when you have leverage use it.

True, it can still be pretty long and a lot of applications to get even a rejection email back though. Can’t really afford to be unemployed even for a little bit.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 31, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

life is killing me posted:

My hesitation with leaving is mainly some jitters, last-minute cold feet telling me I’m not ready to move on and need more experience before I do.

My dude if Donald Trump can fake his way to being president for four years you can handle a new job at a new company, you are way better at airplane maintenance than he has ever been at anything. Imposter Syndrome is real and everyone who isn't a sociopath feels it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Eric the Mauve posted:

My dude if Donald Trump can fake his way to being president for four years you can handle a new job at a new company, you are way better at airplane maintenance than he has ever been at anything. Imposter Syndrome is real and everyone who isn't a sociopath feels it.
Fukkan frame this advice LIKM.This is solid gold.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

life is killing me posted:

cold feet telling me I’m not ready to move on and need more experience before I do.

You'll GET that experience if you do. Faster than you think. It'll be NBD what you dont currently know so long as you're willing to learn and ask questions.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I've been offered and accepted a job, signed the paperwork and emailed it in, and haven't heard back even an acknowledgement of receipt. It's only been a week and my start date isn't until 7/18. What's the timing / etiquette for a follow-up email?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've been offered and accepted a job, signed the paperwork and emailed it in, and haven't heard back even an acknowledgement of receipt. It's only been a week and my start date isn't until 7/18. What's the timing / etiquette for a follow-up email?

Wow 6 weeks is a while off start date in the US. Give it two weeks and then tell them you’re excited to start and sent the paperwork on [date] anything else you can do to hit the ground running? Or some other peppy bs that is really asking, did you get my email?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

So, I am having some troubles getting a job. I thought maybe having everyone take a look would help. I censored it to remove any identifying info. What does everyone think?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not trying to be unkind, because I love you, but any hiring manager that completed the first sentence of that resume and didn't immediately chuck it has either more patience or more desperation than I do. I went back and forced myself to read the entire Qualifications section--not gonna lie, it hurt and as soon as I finish typing this I'm gonna need a drink--and my question is: yeah, but what did you do?

The work history definitely needs a lot of revision and tightening but to be honest I'd be surprised if anyone has ever read that far. If the eight lines of meaningless buzzwords preceding it are there to please algorithms maybe then maybe they have a purpose, but if so, you should still probably find a way to work them in further down the resume so a human will actually read it.

I don't know the tax prep industry nearly well enough to insightfully comment on most of the actual information. I will say that the poo poo about setting margin records, 25% margin and all that---that's the good poo poo. That should be at the top. Hard numbers that say "this person will make your bonus bigger next year if you hire them," that's what gets you interviews.

Repeated apologies if I'm being harsh, but bluntness is the only way I'm able to be helpful.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 2, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not trying to be unkind, because I love you, but any hiring manager that completed the first sentence of that resume and didn't immediately chuck it has either more patience or more desperation than I do. I went back and forced myself to read the entire Qualifications section--not gonna lie, it hurt and as soon as I finish typing this I'm gonna need a drink--and my question is: yeah, but what did you do?

What he said. I tried to force myself to read it and kept sliding off. The whole section needs to go.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
That's fine. Someone told me to put that in back in college and I never took it off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ignore that horizontal line. I'm going to fix that.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 2, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Go through each bullet and ask yourself how you can say the same thing in fewer words.

“Best margins the office had seen in years” should be “record margins” for example.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The "Brought on over a hundred new clients..." could easily be half as many words.

Edit: "studied obscure and specialized sections of the tax code" come on dude, you researched

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Btw qualification wise this resume seems pretty strong…if you actually bring a 100-client book with you though isn’t that pretty valuable?

Our business is tiny and spends like $4k/yr on accountants. So is that a $250k-$1M book?

Covok
May 27, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Btw qualification wise this resume seems pretty strong…if you actually bring a 100-client book with you though isn’t that pretty valuable?

Our business is tiny and spends like $4k/yr on accountants. So is that a $250k-$1M book?

I'm under contract not to solicit or work with my clients for two years after leaving.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, also, I am trying to get out of tax prep.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Last one for tonight. This is based on the "simplify it" approach.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Covok posted:

Last one for tonight. This is based on the "simplify it" approach.

I'm not a hiring manager, just a software dev who has read many resumes and helped colleagues write them. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

You've been out of college for like a long time. Unless accounting is somehow different, no one cares about your master's GPA. Also, I have heard that you are supposed to only put your graduation date and not a range of attendance, but there might be disagreement on that out there.

"Job hunts" is too casual of a phrase for a resume, in my opinion.

On the small firm, instead of "myriad" can you possibly say "over X clients"? I believe your average hiring manager loves numbers, not vocabulary.

You repeat this "Prepared forms XXX, YYY, ZZZ" several times. I don't know if any prospective employer is going to care what you prepared at which job, just that you have a history with it. Could it be possible that this would be better served in some sort of independent section that shows that? Like, a software developer might have a 'skills' section that says, "Javascript, Typscript, Python, NUnit, Boostrap" in bullet points or columns or whatever. I've also seen sections like that for non-programming languages understood where you get "English, Spanish, Mandarin" etc. Monster.com has an example here: https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/sample-resume-software-engineer-midlevel So maybe like "States Prepared: XX, YY, ZZ." and "Forms Prepared: ZZZZ, AAAAA" or something? I'd probably have to see it to know if it looked alright.

These next two might be covered by that previous one, but are worth mentioning all the same:

You first section might be a little too long, but I do not know what the common wisdom is for a max number of bullet points.

It might be difficult, but I prefer to not repeat an 'action word' and certainly not within the same section. I feel it makes the accomplishments and tasks look smaller when the word is repeated, even if that is a bit silly.

Covok posted:

Oh, also, I am trying to get out of tax prep.

What are you trying to get into? I assume something like normal corporate accounting? Try to think about any previous accomplishments you made that might impress someone who is looking to hire for a position that you wish to fill, and highlight those.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Take your GPA off for sure, 3.26 is not something you wanna be bragging about to be brutally honest with you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So 100% agree with the fact that your qualifications section was awful but you probably still need one if you're looking to switch jobs. What are you trying to get into? What skills do you have that are useful in that new area?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CarForumPoster posted:

Wow 6 weeks is a while off start date in the US. Give it two weeks and then tell them you’re excited to start and sent the paperwork on [date] anything else you can do to hit the ground running? Or some other peppy bs that is really asking, did you get my email?

It's a odd fellowship arraignment with a massive % increase in $pay and title, so all weirdness will be worth it.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 3, 2022

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

Quick question - I know that doing Federal resumes is A Whole rear end Thing that has their own rules, but what about State Governments? I'm putting together my resume to apply to a state-level IT position, and I'm trying to find out if that is more on the lines of a private sector resume, or more of a "step below a federal resume"?

This is going to depend a lot on what state - do you have any contacts with someone who works for the organization already? Could you ask them?

Barring that, read the resume requirements super carefully and follow them exactly. If the state website has a “resume builder” sort of thing, I’d use it because it will force you to include the level of detail they require.

Good luck!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Main bullet points for tonight then

Remove GPA
Just put graduation date
Add a Qualifications section
Tighten up languge and remove repeated phrases
Use more numbers

Qualifications will probably just become a skill section. I'll probably just list off things and how long I did them. Like 5 years experience working on these forms, etc. Maybe a list of softwares I know.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're pivoting I'm not sure how much specific forms experience matters. You want to showcase skills, how you deployed them, and how they are transferrable to the new environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're pivoting I'm not sure how much specific forms experience matters. You want to showcase skills, how you deployed them, and how they are transferrable to the new environment.

Yep exactly. A skills section is a good way to show this. Be less verbose on describing what the job was and use the space to talk about things you accomplished.