Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Cannabis is illegal. Period.
No, we cannot do a government investigation into possible medical uses of cannabis, like our department of health is suggesting.
Why? I just told you. Cannabis is illegal.

The people who are pro drugs being illegal are so bad at pr that drugs will soon be legal. Like the cops loving sent the child protective services at a woman who were pro legalizing. It was then revealed that they had a file on her despite admitting that she had broken zero laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The people who are pro drugs being illegal are so bad at pr that drugs will soon be legal. Like the cops loving sent the child protective services at a woman who were pro legalizing. It was then revealed that they had a file on her despite admitting that she had broken zero laws.

Harassing pro-legalization people is way easier and more fun than doing anything useful like providing passes or stopping gangs.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Jesus gently caress, I’ve been toying with involving myself with pro legalization causes here and uh, yeah, that’s loving horrifying. Might keep my radical opinion of “it’s pot you cowards” to myself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Politicians insist on keeping weed tax-free and letting it fund the gangs purely on ideological grounds isn't the brightest idea ever.

But no let's tripple tax the electricity instead.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Politicians insist on keeping weed tax-free and letting it fund the gangs purely on ideological grounds isn't the brightest idea ever.

But no let's tripple tax the electricity instead.

Look we don’t have a system, perhaps some form of bolag, that regulates a dangerous substance prepared in a variety of ways and encourages safe usage, preparation and even encourages cessation and mindfulness.

Other countries cannot handle how to regulate the sale, taxation and acquisition of such substances, it cannot be done so don’t bother trying

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, that's a myth. Norway became incredibly rich. But Norway wasn't super impoverished in a European context before that. Welfare state, highly educated populace and all that predate the oil by at least half a century.

Yeah, even in the 19th century when we exported all those economic migrants to America. They weren't, by and large, trying to escape crushing poverty and starvation. (Although arable land worth putting under the plow was becoming in short supply as the population expanded.)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Groke posted:

Yeah, even in the 19th century when we exported all those economic migrants to America. They weren't, by and large, trying to escape crushing poverty and starvation. (Although arable land worth putting under the plow was becoming in short supply as the population expanded.)

And the fact that that emigration option remained for Norwegians even as the US began restricting immigration from the rest of Europe (specifically for non-protestants and non-whites, so hey, Norwegians still get in) meant that that land shortage never really became as acute as it otherwise might have.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randarkman posted:

And the fact that that emigration option remained for Norwegians even as the US began restricting immigration from the rest of Europe (specifically for non-protestants and non-whites, so hey, Norwegians still get in) meant that that land shortage never really became as acute as it otherwise might have.

After the Black Death, tons of farmland was simply abandoned as survivors clustered together. Obviously, people would prefer to farm the best bits of land and leave the crappier ones alone... as the population came back over the next centuries, a lot of the abandoned farms were gradually reoccupied (basically anyone with a last name along the lines of "Ødegård" is descended from one of these)... but another lot of them have NEVER been farmed again to this day, because by the time there might have been someone willing to resort to farming the very crappiest bits of land, they instead had the option of going to America. Or staying in Norway but getting a job that did not involve growing your own food, since the number of such jobs was increasing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Growing up in Denmark I have literally never not been offered food if I was in someone’s home at dinner time, and my friends ranged from crushing poverty to moderate affluence to weird fundies.

I have, plenty of times. Maybe it's regional or an age thing, this was late '80s and early '90s, so their parents might have still been reeling from economic hardship, although it didn't seem dependent on wealth at all. Once I even experienced going out for ice cream and was offered a smaller one than my friend, because "I wasn't their kid". Never happened at my place, though, we were struggling most of the time, but my mom always offered and would surprise us with snacks or lunch.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I turned on the radio and I learned everyone was talking about this supposed scandal now and it was a viral thing. I am feeling more defensive about this culturual trait of ours now. loving judgemental southerners.

The real reason this happens IMO is because the other kids where expected to go home and eat dinner, that's really it. If they where sleeping over or something it would be different. And dinner is a separate thing from snacks.

They discuss this in a local podcast even, literally named "äta hos kompisar":
https://arenan.yle.fi/audio/1-3071751

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 2, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm baffled at how big of a deal this poo poo has become considering that it started as a single twitter post from an account spouting pro-Russian propaganda with their sources being "a random reddit post" and "a map that I made the gently caress up".

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And the ami's all jumping to conclude it being a universal thing including for adults who were specifically invited to come over by the ladies and lords of the house, and not as was stated from the beginning;
a thing specifically for kids in decades past were if you (a small child) would be invited to play with your friend at their house, the friends strange parents wouldn't extend your little friends invite to include their 17:00 dinner and you'd be sent home or oddly, be assigned a holding area. And that this also felt very very strange to most of us kids and our non-strange parents, since we fed our friends dinner or snacks before dinner time including kid-economy high status items like ice cream etc.
And how all? of us have vowed to not perpetuate this evil we experienced as children towards the younger generations

Scandinavians invite people over for dinner all the time. We're maybe more formal about the process than southerners still, but we god drat do it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Det er meget hyggeligt

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

a thing specifically for kids in decades past were if you (a small child) would be invited to play with your friend at their house, the friends strange parents wouldn't extend your little friends invite to include their 17:00 dinner and you'd be sent home or oddly, be assigned a holding area. And that this also felt very very strange to most of us kids and our non-strange parents, since we fed our friends dinner or snacks before dinner time including kid-economy high status items like ice cream etc.
And how all? of us have vowed to not perpetuate this evil we experienced as children towards the younger generations

It wasn't really weird as a kid, we understood it. My parents were home cooking my own dinner and I'd just have to run back home to eat dinner, I didn't want to eat two dinners, my parents didn't wanna cook food for a kid that had already eaten and I didn't wanna eat my friends parents weird looking food anway. Why would I eat here when I gotta go soon anyway to eat dinner at home? If it was a sleepover or something, it's different.

This is another thing most of the world probably don't get, that kids could (stil can) and would, where this is a thing, basically run to other peoples houses on their own all the drat time and there's not been any formal invitations and the kids live close enough that they will hear their parents bellowing that it's dinner time. We also had dinner times to be back home for.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur9qwjGU6pM

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

It wasn't really weird as a kid, we understood it. My parents were home cooking my own dinner and I'd just have to run back home to eat dinner, I didn't want to eat two dinners, my parents didn't wanna cook food for a kid that had already eaten and I didn't wanna eat my friends parents weird looking food anway. Why would I eat here when I gotta go soon anyway to eat dinner at home? If it was a sleepover or something, it's different.

This is another thing most of the world probably don't get, that kids could (stil can) and would, where this is a thing, basically run to other peoples houses on their own all the drat time and there's not been any formal invitations and the kids live close enough that they will hear their parents bellowing that it's dinner time. We also had dinner times to be back home for.

There was one part that was always weird to me though. The offer to wait in the friends room. No matter the other circumstances being left alone in their home always felt weird

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Yes, this is exactly how it was for me. Why the hell would anyone want to sit down with their friends family and eat their weird food. I mean this was Sweden in the 90's. Yeah I loved eating clumped up makaroner and ketchup while being forced to make small talk with my friends dad Lars / Bosse / Göran... We truly are monsters for denying people that experience...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Konec Hry posted:

Yes, this is exactly how it was for me. Why the hell would anyone want to sit down with their friends family and eat their weird food. I mean this was Sweden in the 90's. Yeah I loved eating clumped up makaroner and ketchup while being forced to make small talk with my friends dad Lars / Bosse / Göran... We truly are monsters for denying people that experience...

Lol yeah other people's cooking was always weird to me. And you really only got to experience it when it was an actual sleepover or such, as otherwise I'd go home and eat dinner at home as the cold-blooded monster Swede I am.

Case in point: visiting a friend's family for pasta night, and hear their parents with beaming pride proclaim that "in this house, after your first portion, YOU DON'T NEED TO ADD MORE SAUCE when you take seconds." Queue an entire family literally eating what can be called an alibi of a normal portion only to continuing pasta night eating just.... spaghetti. Like, plain spaghetti. Piles of it.

I'd happily stay away from such weird experiences and just enjoy my own family's weird food rituals, thankyouverymuch.

E: what sucked though was those kids whos parents did not also offer fika for the other kids. Like we would all eat dinner at our separate homes unless it was friends living far enough that you'd need a drive, but if there were kanelbullar or something, you'd get them too. Unless one kid's parents in my friend group. THAT was weird, everyone sitting in the basement waiting to continue our Drakar och Demoner session while he went upstairs to have an afternoon fika. So there are layers to this onion.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 2, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Konec Hry posted:

I was exposed to new foods, new food cultures, etc. via eating at my friends houses. Like eating is a fun communal experience, even as a kid? Even if it was baked ziti or whatever, you were always invited, you were included, and it was never seen as onerous? My mom always invited my friends to stay for dinner, like she was known for her sausage and peppers among my friends. My mom wanted to know who I was hanging out with and what they were like, and what better way to do it if not over a meal.

This phenomenon (organic or weird psyop) definitely explains why I’ve been weirdly rebuffed when I want to host a dinner party or potluck. I thought it was because I lived in Eskilstuna.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Swedes are the epitome of white people, in all the worst ways, and this is just the cultural aftermath.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm a goon so obviously I didn't have a lot of friends growing up, but the few times I did go home with a friend after school I was always offered dinner, and vice versa. And also at adult age, if I've been to a friend's/acquaintance's house for whatever reason I've usually been offered dinner if it's around dinnertime, so this whole thing is news to me.

That said who the hell wants to eat a swede's cooking. My mother thinks paprika is an exotic spice.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What the gently caress is even going on here?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Randarkman posted:

*points at sign* What do you think, friend?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

YT is at it again.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Swedes are the epitome of white people, in all the worst ways, and this is just the cultural aftermath.

The self hating root vegetable

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

When it comes to parenting, everyone has an opinion which does not have to be supported by facts.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also, has everyone forgotten grandparents? You can't visit mommo/fammo without getting food showed in your mouth. As kids in a small rural village we all where within walking distance of our grandmothers house (we where like 7 cousins living within a km of each other) and we'd visit there and she'd supply us with an endless stream of snacks and soda.

It even spawned a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FgCNV2yYOk

Or more than one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COSDz79zCeM

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Konec Hry posted:

Yes, this is exactly how it was for me. Why the hell would anyone want to sit down with their friends family and eat their weird food.

Lmao

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My cousins parents cooked some real dogdy looking food, boiled knackkorv å mos, or potatis with korvsås? Or pizza made with tunnbröd and felix ketchup? I was a picky eater as a kid and to this day I refuse to eat korvsås or korvsoppa.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I was a picky eater as a kid

Now here I think we're getting to the bottom of a lot of this

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
That poo poo happened to me exactly once when I was growing up. I don't remember who or where, but my parents will occasionally bring up "remember when you were at that weird kid's house and they made you wait in his room while they had dinner?"

One of the issues here I think is that swedes just don't loving talk to random people about poo poo like etiquette (let alone *correcting* someone), so a thing that might be perfectly normal in one household is completely compartmentalized from every other household.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Matdags!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Flygande jakob. Perfectly good ingredients, cooked by a madman

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Pindsvin!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Don't you motherfucker go disparaging Flygande Jacob! Though my parents called it "Galloperande Jacob" and put frozen spinach in it. loving hated spinach growing up, until I learned in my loving 30s that fresh spinach is awesome.

Why the hell did our parents only ever put frozen or canned vegetables in dishes? It's not like the Swedish social-democratic dystopia of 1988 didn't have supermarkets and refrigerators.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Don't you motherfucker go disparaging Flygande Jacob!

I love it, actually. Such a great encapsulation of how I'd imagine the seventies were. It even has that perfect brownish color.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'd be really glad for some social demoractic dystopia right about now, this neolib poo poo is way worse.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
But we got Pizza Hut now!
(dunno what the gently caress happened, if my pallette matured or if they started cheating on the ingredients, but I distinctly remember Pizza Hut pizzas being awesome like ten years ago. These days it tastes like two layers of cardboard under one layer of "cheese product")

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Add that to things I've never had, like starbucks and KFC.

One thing I would like to try is biltema hot dogs tho. Not because it's a culinary feast, just a bit WTF to us on the finnish side to hear biltema sells hot dogs in Sweden. Heard it from my cousins kids who visited a few years ago from Sweden, the boy almost only lived on biltema hot dogs they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/hallbergaxel/status/1532053630622261251?s=21&t=tvej_m45lSRK5V4bS4OXMg