Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Honestly? No I remember them really well. I did a rewatch a couple weeks ago.

Boba fett and parts of obi wan are just that bad.

I remember star wars nerds being angry all the time about EU stuff before the prequels came out, then they were mad about the prequels and EU stuff. Now they are mad about the sequels and have the internet to megaphone. The sequels are worse than the prequels but people were progressively more grumpy with each prequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Half of Book of Boba Fett kicks rear end. The half that was just The Mandalorian

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Anna_Giaritelli/status/1532081283915988992

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It’s not 2A so who gives a gently caress right?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1532008425860866049?t=qTIBYJkhgwYVCz9PT9pvXg&s=19

Netflix's venture capitalist days of spend spend spend are over lol

I barely even watch it now. Pretty much most of my streaming time is spent on Hulu and HBO.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Half of Book of Boba Fett kicks rear end. The half that was just The Mandalorian

Yhe half that kicked rear end was the mandalorian. The rest was rear end.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Star Wars biggest sin was trying to incorporate the original trilogy into everything, including dragging out the corpses of fisher, Hamil, and ford, cgi’ing the characters who’s actors were too decomposed, and making loving EVERYTHING come back to tattooine remote desert planets.

Obviously Star Wars was always just a money printing machine and the choice was a shameless ploy to boomer nostalgia but it locked them into a trajectory they’re unable to pull out of.

Writers and producers will always tell money they have good ideas instead of pointing out that we don’t need every single character to have interacted at every moment of their life before and after they met at what was supposed to be the worst bar on the most remote, worthless planet in the galaxy.

the prequels made similar mistakes but poo poo they at least did something new.

Prequels > every movie since

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 2, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Just have the journalists bring a gun, the police won’t do anything to stop them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Garland has completely abdicated his duties during his tenure at the head of the DOJ but breaking up this department and scattering it to the wind seems like a political/human decency no brainer

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you need a new album, the new album by Johan Lenox is very enjoyable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

Star Wars biggest sin was trying to incorporate the original trilogy into everything, including dragging out the corpses of fisher, Hamil, and ford, cgi’ing the characters who’s actors were too decomposed, and making loving EVERYTHING come back to tattooine remote desert planets.

Obviously Star Wars was always just a money printing machine and the choice was a shameless ploy to boomer nostalgia but it locked them into a trajectory they’re unable to pull out of.

Writers and producers will always tell money they have good ideas instead of pointing out that we don’t need every single character to have interacted at every moment of their life before and after they met at what was supposed to be the worst bar on the most remote, worthless planet in the galaxy.

If Lucas could’ve handed the reigns to someone competent, I think the prequels would’ve been decent movies instead of god awful. Rewrite or edit out some bad scenes, cut down on the CGI, and get rid of R2 and C-3PO. That and extract maybe some better acting performances and they’re at least watchable.

The new trilogy had the opposite problem. No one was in control, so the stories are all over the place, and it ends up being just a big nostalgia bait.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hey you need a coherent vision to pull off a multi movie story arc wild I know

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

FizFashizzle posted:

I still like Rogue One precisely because it's not tying together with every single original trilogy character up until, like, the last moment. And it's a solid war film in the meantime. But Star Trek and Star Wars both occupy the same spot in my mind of, "Vast stretches of this are just not going to be canon for me and I'm going to ignore their existence," when I didn't used to be that way for either franchise. Just too little quality control, too little attention paid towards the operating ethos of the original property, too much lovely fanfiction and shoutouts that add nothing to the overall narrative.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rogue one was a joyless slog that admittedly got butchered at the last second due to political concerns, and I would have enjoyed it more if they just made a space fighting movie. Like every space movie does t need to be Star Wars. Just make a good movie. Star Wars was one of the biggest movie franchises in the eighties and some coked up lunatic was still like “gently caress IT an arcade game is recruiting humans to be Star fighters!”

Plus they pulled the bullshit with cgi’ing tarkin instead of just recasting him. I suspect that was a last second decision as well because it’s very easy to see Ben Mendehlson playing that character. Or Mikkelsen having an actual role. If this is confirmed or denied in an interview somewhere I don’t care.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I don’t really touch Star Wars anymore outside of the original trilogy. There’s just nothing new or interesting and the prequels were rancid butt.

I think I was done when in Last Jedi they couldn’t do anything more original than “we dragged a Death Star laser into the desert to shoot this base.” Even ignoring the newer trilogy’s obvious problems that one got a huge groan from me.

And that’s ignoring too that they used a quasi Death Star in Force Awakens too.

Just painfully uninspired.

FizFashizzle posted:

Rogue one was a joyless slog that admittedly got butchered at the last second due to political concerns, and I would have enjoyed it more if they just made a space fighting movie.

Wait what’s the story here?

I loved Rogue One but I definitely agree it’s a joyless slog. I haven’t revisited it for that reason. It was the best post-trilogy movie by a mile.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What the hell Rogue One was great

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Wait what’s the story here?

I loved Rogue One but I definitely agree it’s a joyless slog. I haven’t revisited it for that reason. It was the best post-trilogy movie by a mile.

Apparently what’s her name was more explicitly a terrorist and they chickened out in post production.

Like they had to remove most of forest Whitaker’s role.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Apparently what’s her name was more explicitly a terrorist and they chickened out in post production.

Like they had to remove most of forest Whitaker’s role.

Ohhhh. Yeah I could see that. That’s dumb as hell. Just let them make movies.

Fifty Three posted:

What the hell Rogue One was great

Oh i loved it. It was bleak as hell though. It’s not pejorative coming from me but it is a heavy watch.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I hear that the 3D Star Wars cartoons are good (Clone Wars and Rebels) but I haven't touched them. Too much drat TV these days and I'm at the stage in my life where I don't really want or need to get emotionally invested in Star Wars.

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1532008425860866049?t=qTIBYJkhgwYVCz9PT9pvXg&s=19

Netflix's venture capitalist days of spend spend spend are over lol

I barely even watch it now. Pretty much most of my streaming time is spent on Hulu and HBO.

We've had Netflix on at the house a bunch over the last couple of weeks, because it has a bunch of Thai TV shows and my in-laws are apparently OK just sitting around the house watching TV while they visit. More power to em.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If they don’t green light expensive vanity projects then what else am I going to choose to not watch? I get Netflix with my T-Mobile contract but no way I would pay for it otherwise. It is the same as I get motortrend with my classic car insurance and would never pay for the 1 or two shows worth having on in the background check while doom scrolling.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Netflix hasn’t been great for awhile although sadly it has the best UI of any steaming service I’ve tried.

How’s the back catalog of movies on HBO?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The original trilogy is also pretty loving bad. It just hits all the nostalgia grooves for people.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Grim.

You’re getting HBO for the shows. I’m midway through season 2 of sopranos. I’d forgotten insanely Italian Furio was. Also how much of an over the top badass.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

The original trilogy is also pretty loving bad. It just hits all the nostalgia grooves for people.

Empire strikes back is legitimately a great film and arguably genre defining, whatever genre exactly you want to say it is.

ANH is a fine movie that was revolutionary in a lot of ways and was carried by performances and just how loving new it was.

ROTJ is complete trash and a similar film that wasn't the end cap to that trilogy would never have made it out of preproduction.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Of course nostalgia plays into it. ROTJ is the Temple of Doom of Star Wars.

Empire is incredible though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

Netflix hasn’t been great for awhile although sadly it has the best UI of any steaming service I’ve tried.

TCM is on there, so there's old movies to select. There's Warner Bros and DC on there, too I guess.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I mean the school shooting lawsuits are gonna bankrupt them anyways, what are a couple 1A suits gonna do? Might as well go for broke.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If anyone bothered to read the article the school district called the police to ask them to get the media off their property.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Empire strikes back is legitimately a great film and arguably genre defining, whatever genre exactly you want to say it is.

ANH is a fine movie that was revolutionary in a lot of ways and was carried by performances and just how loving new it was.

ROTJ is complete trash and a similar film that wasn't the end cap to that trilogy would never have made it out of preproduction.

ANH is a transformative Western movie that encouraged other films to play with setting

Empire is probably the bravest and best of the entire filmography

Return was fine but didn't capture the magic of either original runs

The prequels tried to be political dramas but the political setting was drab and boring. I think JJ Abrams is a hack and the sequel trilogy didn't disprove that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Forrest on Fire posted:

ANH is a transformative Western movie that encouraged other films to play with setting

Empire is probably the bravest and best of the entire filmography

Return was fine but didn't capture the magic of either original runs

The prequels tried to be political dramas but the political setting was drab and boring. I think JJ Abrams is a hack and the sequel trilogy didn't disprove that.

Oh so that's what we're gonna do today? We're gonna fight about Star Wars?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Star Wars movies gave us Jedi knight video games and kotor and that Nintendo 64 pod racing game.

Oh and that N64 DASH RENDARR Star Wars game

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I mean, basic topping? Pepperoni.

We have a local pizza chain mostly catered towards the late night bar crowd here, and their thing is extravagant pizzas, like Gyro pizzas, Thanksgiving pizzas, loaded baked potato pizzas, etc.

I usually get a slice of whatever looks interesting but I always get a pepperoni because nothing beats a classic ‘roni slice if you ask me

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Star Wars movies gave us Jedi knight video games and kotor and that Nintendo 64 pod racing game.

Oh and that N64 DASH RENDARR Star Wars game

Holy poo poo that pod racing game.

It’s working! It’s woooorkiiiiing!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Oh so that's what we're gonna do today? We're gonna fight about Star Wars?

I'm fighting? I thought I was agreeing with the crux of Fiz's opinion there.

Also that's about as milquetoast an argument about star wars as you'll find. Someone else can give a much more interesting opinion

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

pmchem posted:

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie

Yeah this barely qualifies as an opinion. It's practically fact.

It's really the only good Star Wars movie.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Sooooo my company is offering to move me to Copenhagen to start a new team there.

Huuuuge opportunity and it has my stomach in knots. I don’t know anything about Copenhagen either.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Sooooo my company is offering to move me to Copenhagen to start a new team there.

Huuuuge opportunity and it has my stomach in knots. I don’t know anything about Copenhagen either.

Beautiful. Fantastic quality of life. Very expensive. Sweden and Germany within a 45 minute drive. Surprisingly cosmopolitan, until you realize what a centrally located port it is.

I'm jealous.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

You're from the south so the casual racism of that part of europe won't be a surprise. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do it
Do it
Dooooo itttt