Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

njsykora posted:

I assume the wifi is so they can add netplay to stuff, though the Evercade in general is one of those things where I'm not entirely sure who it's for except people who really need the feeling of putting in a cartridge.

That's basically it. It's for people who want an 8-bit/16-bit Switch at a budget price. It's for the younger boomers and gen x-ers and millennials who want to capture a small part of their childhood.

But like, just get a RP2+ or Switch Lite or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The new portable is $150, the console is $100, and the carts are $20-30. It's in line with the last generation of mini consoles like the snes mini, genesis mini, tubrographix mini, playstation classic, etc. but it's also extensible.

Again that is way too expensive for what it is, it's the sort of thing that would be a fun novelty at say $60* or less(and the cartridges at say $10 to $15) but at $100 to $150(and $20 to $30 for the carts) it's just pathetic compared to what you can get for similar amounts from other handhelds

*though even that is honestly too high when things like the Miyoo Mini exist at that price

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

drrockso20 posted:

Again that is way too expensive for what it is, it's the sort of thing that would be a fun novelty at say $60* or less(and the cartridges at say $10 to $15) but at $100 to $150(and $20 to $30 for the carts) it's just pathetic compared to what you can get for similar amounts from other handhelds

*though even that is honestly too high when things like the Miyoo Mini exist at that price
drrockso are you comparing the price of a legitimate product that has to ensure everyone gets paid to the price of a pirate console?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Yeah I gotta agree here. Evercade is click and go. The Miyoo requires CFW and a trip to r/roms to even get working nicely.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Just got my Miyoo Mini and drat, it's really nice with MiniUI. Also more comfortable to use than I was expecting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m gonna order an Odin Loki AMD to mess around with.

The discount is too good to pass up. I already have a deck and an Odin pro so if the AMD is any good I’ll probably sell the Pro for a good discount to a goon.

If the AMD isn’t as good then a goon will get a good discount on that too lol.

I love messing around with these and a slight tax for me to do so doesn’t bother me much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I ordered a Loki because I think the form factor is gonna be better for me than the Steam Deck. The Mini Pro at under $300 is likely going to be an emulation beast though.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

sethsez posted:

Just got my Miyoo Mini and drat, it's really nice with MiniUI. Also more comfortable to use than I was expecting.

I just ordered one a few days ago, I'm looking forward to it. It seems like the perfect little pocket device for everything up to the 16-bit era. Or maybe even a little further, if the review videos are to be believed.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Lifepuzzler posted:

I just ordered one a few days ago, I'm looking forward to it. It seems like the perfect little pocket device for everything up to the 16-bit era. Or maybe even a little further, if the review videos are to be believed.

I can confirm that PSOne games also play pretty much perfectly.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Got my miyoo mini yesterday and after the initial shock of it being somehow smaller than i expected, i love it. Got onion fired up and its great-

Only issue is half my ps1 games dont show up- they are all bin/ cue format, and all the regular variables im aware of dont seem to come i to play (nested directories, loads of bin files etc) anyone have any insight in to this?

I would rather not have to convert everything to pbp (which as far i can tell works without exception)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Science_enthusiast posted:

Got my miyoo mini yesterday and after the initial shock of it being somehow smaller than i expected, i love it. Got onion fired up and its great-

Only issue is half my ps1 games dont show up- they are all bin/ cue format, and all the regular variables im aware of dont seem to come i to play (nested directories, loads of bin files etc) anyone have any insight in to this?

I would rather not have to convert everything to pbp (which as far i can tell works without exception)

Is it definitely to do with the format and not whether you added them to the card after first loading the PSX list on the device? It caches the game list, so you could try deleting "PS_cache2.db" from the "Roms/PS" folder. (At least this is true for OnionOS)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

This is half-remembered, but check to see if there are any special characters in any of the filenames. I seem to remember reading that apostrophes and dollar signs and stuff like that can gently caress it up.

If you do have to convert everything, I'd recommend using chdman and just batch converting everything to CHD, which has worked perfectly for me so far.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

All my bin/cue games are in their own subfolders. To get the simple stuff out of the way, you've tried manually refreshing the rom list for the console (press menu button while PSX is selected) and you have your games in the PS directory? I accidentally added some stuff to the PSX directory and was confused when it wasn't showing up, not sure why that folder even exists.

Looking at the issues board on GitHub it seems like games in subfolders with apostrophes or slashes aren't being found when refreshing the rom list. So like 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater'.

I believe all the games should still show even if you don't have BIOS but I would also check that you have all of the ones listed on the OnionOS wiki. https://github.com/jimgraygit/Onion/wiki/2.-Onion-Emulators-&-Ports

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Lifepuzzler posted:

The Miyoo Mini is so good and OnionOS is so easy to use, I love it. My only complaint is that the Miyoo is a bit uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time and any games that use shoulder buttons extensively are just really hard for me to play. OnionOS has spoiled me so much that I just want Miyoo to release a larger version of the Mini (Analogue Pocket clone plz) that can also run OnionOS.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Anyone know of the best utility to convert Dreamcast stuff to CDI? It seems redream for Android only recognizes that format, tried CHD and bin/cue to no avail.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Game Corps: Comparing the AYN Loki and AYANEO Air Plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0a_JTSCfU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

CRAYON posted:

All my bin/cue games are in their own subfolders. To get the simple stuff out of the way, you've tried manually refreshing the rom list for the console (press menu button while PSX is selected) and you have your games in the PS directory? I accidentally added some stuff to the PSX directory and was confused when it wasn't showing up, not sure why that folder even exists.

Looking at the issues board on GitHub it seems like games in subfolders with apostrophes or slashes aren't being found when refreshing the rom list. So like 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater'.

I believe all the games should still show even if you don't have BIOS but I would also check that you have all of the ones listed on the OnionOS wiki. https://github.com/jimgraygit/Onion/wiki/2.-Onion-Emulators-&-Ports

Thanks everyone. Got them all running now. Just in case it helps anyone...

Delete any special characters from the directory name (leave the file names alone)

Each game folder can only contain files, not another sub directory

Sometimes it also seemed to help to delete any html or txt files knocking about in the game folders

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Retro Game Corps: Comparing the AYN Loki and AYANEO Air Plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_0a_JTSCfU

The key detail he missed around the regular Loki is that the 128gb version only has 8gb of RAM while the 256/512gb have 16gb. I also wouldn't have assumed the 512gb model will get shipped earlier given that apparently even Valve has struggled to get enough 512gb SSDs for the Steam Deck. He is absolutely right that Aya needs to settle the gently caress down with the SKUs though, they announced like 6 Neos in the last few months. That's my biggest issue with the handheld PC surge right now, everyone's acting like a chip exists so they have to use it regardless of whether it makes sense or not (hello 1Ghz Celeron Loki).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like 8 gigs should be fine on the sub $300 devices.

My issue with his take is that he went with intel which he does have a point but intel is a huge battery hog and yeah we don’t know a lot about that AMD part but I can bet money it’s definitely more power efficient.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Most of the info he was getting was seemingly from Cary Golomb on Twitter who is big pushing that Intel is the one to go for on these sub-$300 devices since all they're going to be good for is emulation. Problem there is that Intel's integrated graphics are still so ungodly poo poo that even with the rumoured 2 GPU cores I'd wager the Mendocino chips are still going to be beating it. AMD also has a lot of form you can look at with regard to battery life with its mobile chips at this point, yeah Intel might be the better choice in a full desktop right now but I've yet to see any proof that their mobile chips are up to snuff. ETA Prime even did a comparison with a high level Intel-powered handheld PC and it just got smoked by the Steam Deck with lower power consumption and lower clock speeds.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The 1GHz Celeron is hilarious but 8GB of RAM is likely not going to be a limitation if you're only playing old games, 2D games, and older emulation. I have a 5 year old i3 laptop that can't run Windows 11 but anything that will run on it's very bad GPU is fine with 8GB. It's also the only computer Momodora III runs fine on for some reason, everything faster just chugs and hitches.

They both definitely want to hit a super low "introductory" price point that they can then upsell you on, so if that means a 1GHz Celeron Intel wasn't able to sell otherwise, well that's going to be it.

The Steam Deck is likely going to be more powerful than everything but their highest end SKUs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The Steam Deck is likely going to be more powerful than everything but their highest end SKUs.

Yeah well you would say that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a 1GHZ Celeron?? is it a packard bell computer from 2003

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Most of the info he was getting was seemingly from Cary Golomb on Twitter who is big pushing that Intel is the one to go for on these sub-$300 devices since all they're going to be good for is emulation. Problem there is that Intel's integrated graphics are still so ungodly poo poo that even with the rumoured 2 GPU cores I'd wager the Mendocino chips are still going to be beating it. AMD also has a lot of form you can look at with regard to battery life with its mobile chips at this point, yeah Intel might be the better choice in a full desktop right now but I've yet to see any proof that their mobile chips are up to snuff. ETA Prime even did a comparison with a high level Intel-powered handheld PC and it just got smoked by the Steam Deck with lower power consumption and lower clock speeds.

Also intel’s graphics drivers are hot poo poo.

The intel will probably be better for emulation but you’ll be seeing terrible battery life from it. Especially since it can go into turbo mode.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The 7th Guest posted:

a 1GHZ Celeron?? is it a packard bell computer from 2003
I wonder if they are leftover chips from back when they were trying to get into phones and tablets

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/2/11634168/intel-10-billion-on-mobile-before-giving-up

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's probably a Celeron 7300 or something like that, which is a 1.0 GHz Celeron that was first released a couple months ago (last February).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SubG posted:

It's probably a Celeron 7300 or something like that, which is a 1.0 GHz Celeron that was first released a couple months ago (last February).

It is literally that Celeron, and the 1Ghz thing is apparently a deliberate choice by Intel. It has to be some weird tax break thing where producing this kind of chip gets them some government money somewhere because what is that kind of chip good for these days?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

You mean that specific Intel chip? Because the use case for general low-power chips is mobile/embedded poo poo, which is literally several orders of magnitude larger than the market for high-end desktop processors.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

It is literally that Celeron, and the 1Ghz thing is apparently a deliberate choice by Intel. It has to be some weird tax break thing where producing this kind of chip gets them some government money somewhere because what is that kind of chip good for these days?

Chromebooks?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Photex posted:

Chromebooks?
And thin client/set-top poo poo in general. As well as generic SOHO networking stuff.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey I'm new at looking at these retro handheld consoles...I'm certainly interested but I'm not sure which one to get. Imma just lay out what I am looking for and if anyone has any helpful advice I'd be appreciative.

Anyway I'm lookin for a system that can reliably play Playstation and Nintendo DS games, preferably with a good quality screen and easy setup. I would love a larger screen if possible, since I'm getting older and I want to be able to read all the tiny text that'll be on the screen (I like jrpgs). Um beyond that I guess my pricepoint would hopefully be 150 USD or less but I can waver on that if the quality is good. If it can reliably play gamecube and Ps2 games I'd be even more ecstatic, but I understand that can be a bit more difficult to find. Anyway, any advice welcome, thanks!.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you want to play up to gamecube and ps2, there's nothing that beats the Retroid Pocket 2+ for price to power ratio. $99 US, though you'll have to sit in the waiting list for a few months if you want one at this point. There's more powerful handhelds for sure, but they start at triple the price and go up from there

From what you say you're looking for, though, my recommendation would be a hacked 3ds. They aren't hard to find, the instructions are foolproof, and any kind of ds emulation on a non-ds device is going to be full of compromises just because of the quirky hardware, so you might as well get the real thing.

The homebrew emulators for it can handle up to ps1 pretty well. N64 emulators exist, but there's like ten games that are actually playable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Madmarker posted:

Hey I'm new at looking at these retro handheld consoles...I'm certainly interested but I'm not sure which one to get. Imma just lay out what I am looking for and if anyone has any helpful advice I'd be appreciative.

Anyway I'm lookin for a system that can reliably play Playstation and Nintendo DS games, preferably with a good quality screen and easy setup. I would love a larger screen if possible, since I'm getting older and I want to be able to read all the tiny text that'll be on the screen (I like jrpgs). Um beyond that I guess my pricepoint would hopefully be 150 USD or less but I can waver on that if the quality is good. If it can reliably play gamecube and Ps2 games I'd be even more ecstatic, but I understand that can be a bit more difficult to find. Anyway, any advice welcome, thanks!.

Well as mentioned the Retroid Pocket 2 Plus would probably be what matches your needs the best, if you don't mind paying extra there's a listing on Amazon with Prime shipping for $150

flavor.flv posted:

If you want to play up to gamecube and ps2, there's nothing that beats the Retroid Pocket 2+ for price to power ratio. $99 US, though you'll have to sit in the waiting list for a few months if you want one at this point. There's more powerful handhelds for sure, but they start at triple the price and go up from there

From what you say you're looking for, though, my recommendation would be a hacked 3ds. They aren't hard to find, the instructions are foolproof, and any kind of ds emulation on a non-ds device is going to be full of compromises just because of the quirky hardware, so you might as well get the real thing.

The homebrew emulators for it can handle up to ps1 pretty well. N64 emulators exist, but there's like ten games that are actually playable

While I agree that a 3DS is the best way to handle DS stuff(besides an actual DS or DSi) you don't really need a hacked one, a DS flash cart will work just fine on even an unhacked model since the method they use just tricks the 3DS into thinking it's a proper DS cart since it has native backwards compatibility

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well as mentioned the Retroid Pocket 2 Plus would probably be what matches your needs the best, if you don't mind paying extra there's a listing on Amazon with Prime shipping for $150

While I agree that a 3DS is the best way to handle DS stuff(besides an actual DS or DSi) you don't really need a hacked one, a DS flash cart will work just fine on even an unhacked model since the method they use just tricks the 3DS into thinking it's a proper DS cart since it has native backwards compatibility

flavor.flv posted:

Hmmm, that Retroid Pocket 2+ does seem really nice, and the Indigo does look really good. But the 3ds is also promising, thanks for the help, I think this gives me a good place to start rather than trying to digest all the retro handheld console videos on youtube aimlessly. I think I am leaning towards the Retroid Pocket 2+, but I may just keep an eye out for a cheap 3ds and pick one of those up at a later date if I find the DS functionality poor.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Amazons finally got RP2+ stock at least.

https://www.amazon.com/Retroid-Pocket-Handheld-Multiple-Emulators/dp/B09Z2FWNBL/

At 150 it’s a bit more expensive than buying direct from retroid by like, 20 bucks or so but you also don’t have to wait for a couple weeks and deal with international shipping, so it could be a worse deal.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

20 extra dollars and not having to deal with DHL is a bargain.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Hmmm, that Retroid Pocket 2+ does seem really nice, and the Indigo does look really good. But the 3ds is also promising, thanks for the help, I think this gives me a good place to start rather than trying to digest all the retro handheld console videos on youtube aimlessly. I think I am leaning towards the Retroid Pocket 2+, but I may just keep an eye out for a cheap 3ds and pick one of those up at a later date if I find the DS functionality poor.

If you're not interested in 3ds games, jbone has a thread in SA Mart where he resells modded DSi XLs. They're around $40 currently. He also sells 3DS's on request but they're quite a bit more.

I'd avoid any R4 carts these days. There's so many fakes now.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Walla posted:

20 extra dollars and not having to deal with DHL is a bargain.

Yeah, people like to say "order from AliExpress, it's so much cheaper" but you really can't argue with the speed and quality of Amazon's shipping, and if something equivalent is even available from an AliExpress store it tends to cost more.

Also much easier to deal with if there's an issue.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

sethsez posted:

Yeah, people like to say "order from AliExpress, it's so much cheaper" but you really can't argue with the speed and quality of Amazon's shipping, and if something equivalent is even available from an AliExpress store it tends to cost more.

Also much easier to deal with if there's an issue.

Plus FedEx and UPS give you actual shipping updates. DHL's notifications loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Walla posted:

Plus FedEx and UPS give you actual shipping updates. DHL's notifications loving suck.

I feel like I’m the rare exception that’s never had a bad experience with DHL shipping ‘cause everybody else seems to really hate them.

On the other hand it sure ain’t Amazon speed, that’s for sure.