Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

in NFT-adjacent news, GME announced earnings today:

expected EPS: -$1.16

actual EPS: -$2.08

also their NFT marketplace opens this quarter.
clearly they need to print more shares to raise the EPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

kw0134 posted:

The interesting thing is that he's not charged under securities law, but under wire fraud to abuse his employer. The relevant cited statutes in the indictment don't require any element to be a security, merely that the act was "an intent to deprive of honest services" via wire.

Sounds to me like someone talked to OpenSea after this all became public (he got fired in a fairly public way), and they just through him under the bus for "misappropriating confidential business information".

(amazingly this is a single sentence)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Wire fraud is construed to mean many, many things, and it's a bit of a joke that you can be charged for a 1001 things and among them will be wire fraud, invariably.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Someone who loves commas as much as me! Maybe I missed my calling as a criminal prosecutor

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I assume part of the reason its so long is they are copying verbatim from 18 § 1343 instead of just saying "our guy here did a wire fraud"

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

I've been following StepN for like a week and in that timeframe those NFT shoes that u need to run for 10 mins a day went from 12-13 SOL ($750) down to 2.5 SOL ($100)

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

kw0134 posted:

Wire fraud is construed to mean many, many things, and it's a bit of a joke that you can be charged for a 1001 things and among them will be wire fraud, invariably.

I think mail fraud used to be much the same, back before the internet took over.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kill All Cops posted:

I've been following StepN for like a week and in that timeframe those NFT shoes that u need to run for 10 mins a day went from 12-13 SOL ($750) down to 2.5 SOL ($100)

I had someone mention this and remind me that a year of sweatcoin was worth maybe $20 and completely not worth it. What's funny is stepn being straight ponzinomics.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2022

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Rinkles posted:

Does the SEC cover this stuff?

if someone does it with real money, yeah

drk
Jan 16, 2005

:ughh:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

in NFT-adjacent news, GME announced earnings today:

expected EPS: -$1.16

actual EPS: -$2.08

also their NFT marketplace opens this quarter.
Like Tesla, GameStop’s share price has little to do with their actual profitability and everything to do with pure belief. That’s why this news basically made no difference to the share price after hours and why “apes” think this means the stock is always going to go up, uP, UP!

GME is in many ways a crypto stock imo, the share price is predicated on the continued shared delusion that it has value that transcends reality, and it doesn’t matter what they do now, only that they’ll go to the moon soon. Like crypto it is a self fulfilling prophecy, until it isn’t.

It is pretty funny that they’re getting into NFTs just as the balloon is deflating, though. They know their new masters well, but in keeping with their year on year decline are too slow to pivot to actually exploiting it.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

drat, Brexit really isn't going that well for them, is it

The only solution is to issue Brexitcoin that's tied to Poundtether.

Oh god, those probably are already things aren't they?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

It also says that they would be basically regulated the same as banks which loving :laffo: if the Bank of England starts telling stablecoins to show them exactly how they're backing the coins 1:1.
There will be funds released to "stabilise" the market while the paperwork is slow-rolled and this will end up with some rich people a few million pounds richer thanks to her majesty's bank

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

Viscous Soda posted:

The only solution is to issue Brexitcoin that's tied to Poundtether.

Oh god, those probably are already things aren't they?

There's a brexit coin but it's tethered on nostalgia for the old empire days.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I know my country was the one dumb enough to do Brexit but this really is mindboggling. Two ostensibly sensible, sober, financially tuned in men at the highest level of power in the nations finances deciding to go all in on loving shitcoins. Just incredible.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

smellmycheese posted:

I know my country was the one dumb enough to do Brexit but this really is mindboggling. Two ostensibly sensible, sober, financially tuned in men at the highest level of power in the nations finances deciding to go all in on loving shitcoins. Just incredible.

lmao they were dipshits the entire time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Literally the entire English ruling class are at least Bitcoin bro level failsons.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

The Treasury consultation referred to in this article is here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1079348/Stablecoin_FMISAR_Consultation.pdf

The gist is that the UK wants to set up a regulatory framework for stablecoins. This particular consultation is about how that regulatory regime would handle the failure of a firm with “systemic importance”. It’s initial thinking for how proper rules could be designed. It’s not about bailing out the idiots who’ve lost money on the unregulated pogs currently infesting the internet.

The suspect thinking seems to be that properly regulated stablecoins could act as a more efficient/convenient payment mechanism. In any event, all this requires new legislation “when parliamentary time allows”. There would then be a further period while the various financial regulators sort out the details. In other words, this is years away (if it happens at all).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

LifeSunDeath posted:

you get too innovative with your financial crimes and they'll burn you, you keep the fincrime at a medium level and it's unprosecutable. you get very innovative with your fincrimes and you become untouchable. it's the rush to bridge that gap I guess what motivates all these assholes.

Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman—a rope over an abyss. A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous shuddering and stopping. What is great in man is that he is a bridge and
not an end: what can be loved in man is that he is an overture and a going under. I love those who do not know how to live, for they are those who cross over. -Datalinks

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Surely it would be much easier, cheaper and more secure just to ban UK companies from trading in crypto.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Betjeman posted:

Surely it would be much easier, cheaper and more secure just to ban UK companies from trading in crypto.

But how are we going to transfer billions in government funds to banks and/or the prime minister's cousin that way?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Betjeman posted:

All the people who could make that decision are neck deep in crypto

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is Tank girl isn’t a Disney character. She’s from an 80s indie British Comic that was acquired by DC
IIRC Tank Girl is owned by the original creators nowadays. They occasionally do new things with it, like complain about the movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

IIRC Tank Girl is owned by the original creators nowadays. They occasionally do new things with it, like complain about the movie.

Dunno how they got upset, the movie implies the only thing I remember from the random comics of her I saw, which was kangaroo loving.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have to assume they wanted it to be shown on screen

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It was Judge Dredded/Super Marioed.
Movie execs didn't know poo poo about what they had, so changed it into a loving abomination.
It killed the UK magazine called Deadline (no relation to website), as they were funding some of it.
An excellent 90's anti-culture magazine back then.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Durzel posted:

It is pretty funny that they’re getting into NFTs just as the balloon is deflating, though. They know their new masters well, but in keeping with their year on year decline are too slow to pivot to actually exploiting it.

they're exploiting it from a different angle by having shareholders vote in a few hours to allow them to raise the total share count max from 300M -> 1B.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Yet another dumb "NFT" project that'll most likely fail to deliver anything, yet has amassed actual currency:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7w49m/sex-to-earn-startup-thinks-people-will-gently caress-for-crypto

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/sexn-crypto-startup-sex-to-earn-web3-nfts

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
well why else would you bother to have sex? I certainly can't think of a reason

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

There will be four “modes” for earning crypto on SEXN, according to the project’s whitepaper, each of which earn tokens at different rates and require users to own special combinations of NFTs to unlock. The NFTs are illustrations of condoms, dildos, and other sex toys, and holding them unlock different modes.

Masturbation Mode only requires users to wear their tracking bracelet, and earns fewer tokens.

this project is in serious trouble. they do not know their market at all

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

When you nutted but she keeps mining.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cyrano4747 posted:

When you nutted but she keeps mining.

What "she"? Crypto dating site didn't work because there were no women. No, the best possible outcome for this is a bunch of lonely incels go gay for pay and then chill the gently caress out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Facebook Aunt posted:

What "she"? Crypto dating site didn't work because there were no women. No, the best possible outcome for this is a bunch of lonely incels go gay for pay and then chill the gently caress out.

. . . gently caress. We finally found a use for crypto and it's an unmitigated, and even desperately needed, social good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
brb getting a lambo by wanking myself into a coma

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Golden Bee posted:

Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman—a rope over an abyss. A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous shuddering and stopping. What is great in man is that he is a bridge and
not an end: what can be loved in man is that he is an overture and a going under. I love those who do not know how to live, for they are those who cross over. -Datalinks

Man certainly is pushing rope for all his life, in one way or another.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
See this house? The car? The pool?

I wanked very hard for it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Lone Badger posted:

But how are we going to transfer billions in government funds to banks and/or the prime minister's cousin that way?

it's not just that, it's that all the fun bucks come straight from russia, so crypto has to be involved.

they got no mun eeeeee.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
So what's the ape to cum shot conversation rate atm?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 2, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
If you’re trading your cum to get coins who exactly is taking the cum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

this project is in serious trouble. they do not know their market at all

no, they know their market extremely well

the crypto nerds will spend weeks trying to figure out how to trick the sensors into thinking they're getting laid, leaving them far too distracted to notice when the devs take the money and run