Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Champions has always had a blatantly OP character, it's Dr. Strange lol. The 5-card sidedeck alone guarantees he's S-tier forever and I doubt we'll ever see anything that crazy in the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s not the side deck itself that made Dr.Strange OP IMO, it’s how powerful the side deck is and how easy it was to manipulate it. Oh look, 3 card draw for 0 cost and I can use cards in his deck to make it go to 6 or 9 in one turn if I’m lucky, then you can unload all the cards you got in your hand. Kneeling to fire off the side deck? Well that would be a pretty big cost, if he didn’t have a card that let him get back up. Then with the introduction of the Aerial defence card he can keep on going even more.

The combination of his entire kit just made him incredibly broken. I rarely play him these days because I know that he just break things open with little effort. However, I agree that I vastly prefer that compared to what happened with Hulk.

One of the designers quit the company and let the community know through the Facebook group and he answered some questions about the game in the post. One of the questions was about what happened to Hulk and it turned out he was pretty powerful and then right before printing him off they were like “oh no, he probably shouldn’t be this strong” changed him up completely and didn’t have much time for play testing before finalizing him. I think the reaction to Hulk made them err on the side of “a more powerful hero is better.” I think they try to make sure the hero isn’t completely busted, but they now will always let it overshoot a bit which is the way to go. I think they still have some misses now and then (Don’t care for Valkyrie much, Spectrum ultimately turned out to be meh) but their batting average is a lot better.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
If I'm remembering correctly the designer said 12 of Hulk's 15 cards were made weaker before printing without any further testing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Facing sinister six with a custom Maria Hill was great, as was hitting them all with an airstrike. Sorry crooks, It’s not called the military-industrial simple.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
For the last couple expansions I've been paying express shipping from Chaos Cards in the UK which has been well worth it as the cards left the UK on Friday and arrived here in Taiwan on Tuesday. Tonight, Wednesday, actually got to play with them and boy is Ironheart so much better than I thought. I imagined that her gimmick of building up these counters could be painfully slow but boy does she accelerate quickly. I built her with justice thinking I'd need the extra draw from One Way or Another but it might end up getting cut because she just speeds through the deck quick enough as is. I wedged the shield package on top of her and once everything is on the board between her 6 hand size, Champions Mobile Carrier, and Tony Stark AI, I was cycling my deck every other turn. I'm curious to see how she fares in multiplayer as her numbers are fairly low which works fine for true solo but less so when more people are involved.

I know people were saying she's strong and I can really see why. She might be the strongest Hero I've seen since Venom. Ghost Spider was pretty close to S tier but she just lacking a bit. First impressions and all, only took her against Standard1/Expert1 TaskMaster so I need to keep testing, tomorrow I'll switch to Venom Goblin and see how she fares there, but so far, she's very impressive.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm sure I've mentioned it here but the SHIELD package is just absurdly good. Global Logistics is game breaking to the point I may have to soft-ban or restrict it in true solo.

Either way, Ironheart put a beatdown on Expert Venom Goblin something fierce. After two fails runs where I started the game with that stupid glider as one of the opening encounter cards, I managed to stabilize and then control the rest of the game easily. Finishing him off with a blast of 9 counters plus some attacks after flipping him. New and Improved is just such an MVP; I really didn't give it credit the first time I saw it thinking it wouldn't be anything special but it is amazing. The major weakness in her deck is just a lack of healing in hero form so that's an easy fix with a first aid, which also helps keep Brawn around.

Just great. Looking back over the last year since Guardians we've had 16 heroes and the only misses for me were Groot(make his interrupt not Forced and he's good) and Valkyrie(make her attachment cost 0 and she's solid).

14/16 is pretty good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
For me I’d put Spectrum in the miss column. She’s okay but can be annoying to get to the form you want sometimes. Takes a bit too long to get going cause you really want both her resource generators out. Not bad, but def not great. Nebula I think as well I cooled on, but I think that’s more just I find her annoying to play, not that she’s bad.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

She’s one of the only released heroes who can give herself overkill on demand, which opens up a lot of fun strategies. And it’s funny to hit her obligation in a way that lets you keep all your upgrades for another turn.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

For me I’d put Spectrum in the miss column. She’s okay but can be annoying to get to the form you want sometimes. Takes a bit too long to get going cause you really want both her resource generators out. Not bad, but def not great. Nebula I think as well I cooled on, but I think that’s more just I find her annoying to play, not that she’s bad.

Right. I haven't played Spectrum since I found out that you can't energy form change via the once per turn rulebook rule. I wasn't too hot on her before but that could make her very garbage.

Nebula is solid but I don't really like her either. Same problem as Groot where you can't really control what is going to happen when. Not as bad but being able to trigger her upgrades as needed, even still being at the start of her next turn would have been fine. I feel like she'll be amazing if they print a "Make the Call" for upgrades.

There's no saving Groot in my mind unless they errata his hero form ability.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Yeah Groot could really use that errata. I've had great games with Spectrum and Nebula (we used Nebula + Gamora for the Mad Titan campaign and did well), and Valkyrie was an mvp with Gwen and Miles in our spider-verse campaign. I think she'd be broken on some enemies with free deathglow, but it sounds like Nova is broken in the same way.

Hulk is just really painful and I hope they can address him. The only other character I've had as miserable a game with as Hulk was Hawkeye. It was a 3 player game and his bow kept getting tapped down in the enemy phase in the same turn I had 2+ arrows in hand. I got the quiver out early then immediately lost it to another event card. None of the other players were playing any cancellation or it was only for themselves. So that was just a miserable game for me where the other two players basically two manned it. Thankfully they were playing Wanda and Dr. Strange. I think we were fighting Taskmaster? Can't remember now it's been a few months.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

One of the designers quit the company and let the community know through the Facebook group and he answered some questions about the game in the post. One of the questions was about what happened to Hulk and it turned out he was pretty powerful and then right before printing him off they were like “oh no, he probably shouldn’t be this strong” changed him up completely and didn’t have much time for play testing before finalizing him. I think the reaction to Hulk made them err on the side of “a more powerful hero is better.” I think they try to make sure the hero isn’t completely busted, but they now will always let it overshoot a bit which is the way to go. I think they still have some misses now and then (Don’t care for Valkyrie much, Spectrum ultimately turned out to be meh) but their batting average is a lot better.

I read that same Q+A segment, totally understand how they were still in a very early phase of the game and weren't sure how things would shake out. Judging by the last handfuls of heros and the last 2 expansion boxes, I feel like they are in a way better position than they were a year or so ago, even. It does suck they erred too close to caution with Hulk but sort of resolved that with Drax I suppose.

I'm wondering if maybe there's another setup card for Hulk further down the line to make him a bit better. 4-card hand isn't even the worst part, it's the constant discard that messes with his kit.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DLC Inc posted:

I read that same Q+A segment, totally understand how they were still in a very early phase of the game and weren't sure how things would shake out. Judging by the last handfuls of heros and the last 2 expansion boxes, I feel like they are in a way better position than they were a year or so ago, even. It does suck they erred too close to caution with Hulk but sort of resolved that with Drax I suppose.

I'm wondering if maybe there's another setup card for Hulk further down the line to make him a bit better. 4-card hand isn't even the worst part, it's the constant discard that messes with his kit.

Yeah, if FFG is unwilling to errata Marvel like they do Arkham, because it's so casual, then putting out starter cards in appropriate decks (e.g, Hulk in an Amadeus Cho deck or somesuch) would be fine.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

bagrada posted:

Thankfully they were playing Wanda and Dr. Strange. I think we were fighting Taskmaster? Can't remember now it's been a few months.

You were playing an OK character and they were playing the best characters, probably had an impact.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The most powerful deck I've ever played was a leadership Wanda deck that would go through her deck every turn and trivialized the game to the point where we kinda just stopped playing entirely for a very long time. Not even expert Ronin could stop her and her brother.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

I disagree about the discard. It would have been fine with a larger hand size and piercing. If they want Hulk to swing with everything each turn, I'm cool with that as long as I have stuff to actually play. The increased number of discard effects in the game wreck him worse than not being able to keep stuff from turn to turn. The things that make Hulk good: High HP/ATK/DEF are also the parts of the game where you end up needing the least amount of help.

My homerule errata was that he has +1 handsize but the more I thought about it, I feel like he should naturally have piercing as well. Tough is a status that should cause every hero in the game to work around in some way...except Hulk. Instead they printed that stupid piecing upgrade card that discards itself and you don't even get to choose when: ugh.

I really want to punch whoever came up with these awful "Forced Reaction" hero cards because they've all been coasters. The new one for Protection makes me want to vomit it's such a narrow design. Like if you're going to print cards that you're super worried could be broken so you restrict the power level to the extent that they only see play in cases where they are broken, re-evaluate your loving design.

At least FFG is doing a lot better with the "limit 1" stuff these days. IronHeart and Ghost Spider both have tutors for their power cards.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2022

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the first few games I tried with the starter Spider-Man deck rhino beat me bad. I had a real hard time with many of the rules as they were printed. Went back and read a bunch of this thread, then tried with the cap marvel deck, and fuckin smoked him first try. Now I’m hooked

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

I really want to punch whoever came up with these awful "Forced Reaction" hero cards because they've all been coasters. The new one for Protection makes me want to vomit it's such a narrow design. Like if you're going to print cards that you're super worried could be broken so you restrict the power level to the extent that they only see play in cases where they are broken, re-evaluate your loving design.

Are you talking about the new protection Aerial card that discards itself after a turn? I don’t think it’s completely awful and has its uses but it’s not great, I agree. The one I like a lot is regroup with leadership because it covers all the players. So you go ahead and chump block as much as you can because they’ll all come back to your hand.

That new protection card would have been good if it worked the same way where it’s a forced discard but it prevents 1 damage per hit to the entire table.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
what are the hero packs worth getting? I know “get who you like” but the only character available I really give a poo poo about is venom. much prefer street level marvel

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Look on Marvel database for venom decks, they’ll say what packs they hee. And go online to download the 38 different versions of daredevil people made. Many people may print and play materials with bleed so all you need to do is send the order to Kinko’s and sleeve them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Are you talking about the new protection Aerial card that discards itself after a turn? I don’t think it’s completely awful and has its uses but it’s not great, I agree. The one I like a lot is regroup with leadership because it covers all the players. So you go ahead and chump block as much as you can because they’ll all come back to your hand.

That new protection card would have been good if it worked the same way where it’s a forced discard but it prevents 1 damage per hit to the entire table.

Yeah my big gripe, I figured it out, is that all these upgrades feel like they could have just been events but for whatever reason the designer didn't want them to be. We've just seen the event that makes it so Champions can't take damage for a turn and that's a static effect that sticks around. Why don't the upgrades work similarly. There's not even a design space where the have uses so make in the future you could get two turns out of it. Just printing a card that gives me a total lack of agency and a roll of the dice in terms of how useful it will be on top of a restriction; like it could accept it if it was an event but as an upgrade these cards have seemingly no utility beyond make being able to eat a "discard an upgrade" effect.

I can get that you don't want to print too many cards with effects that continue phases after the card is played but this is just so narrow.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If go for champions was an upgrade, you could discard it when an encounter card tells you discard an upgrade, losing nothing.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

John Romero posted:

what are the hero packs worth getting? I know “get who you like” but the only character available I really give a poo poo about is venom. much prefer street level marvel

Venom is a cool and fun play experience, so a good start for sure.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Longest game I've ever played, and I couldn't take a break because I had little time to record it. This deck does indeed succeed against Thanos, but I never want to go through that again:

https://marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/19421/one-for-the-money-true-solo-nova-vs-expert-ronan-thanos-1.0

Got 2 hours to spare? If so, enjoy:

https://youtu.be/KVmxQlosPcE

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Romero posted:

Agent Venom owns in this game, absolutely get him. Also recommend Dr. Strange, Drax, Thor, and Scarlet Witch---all very different heroes and between them can cover villain activations, stunlocking, destroying minions, and big burst damage.

As for your Spidey difficulty---Rhino threats out the main scheme deceptively quick and Spider-Man, in the base deck he's given anyway, isn't that great with thwarting. In my opinion, Justice is not really his best aspect; he's way better with Protection or even Aggression, try giving him one of those aspects if you used his base premade Justice deck.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Premade decks are also intentionally not great to encourage deck building. You could try making some substitutions to his justice deck by replacing a few cards you had trouble using (cards like heroic intuition and interrogation room are often worth dropping down to a single copy) to pick up a third copy of a card you found useful and wish you saw more often.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You absolutely don’t need interrogation room if you’re playing Rhino now, I think he has three minions

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got myself a bunch of l5r cards for cheap since the LCG is no loner printing, and got the starter for the Netrunner fan continuation.

I wanna play them.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
do you think they do a deadpool hero pack or a whole box? feels like hes too big for a pack but too small for an expansion

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I didn't actually realize you could just get a fan lack printed of netrunner. Maybe I should break out my old decks!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jarvisi posted:

I didn't actually realize you could just get a fan lack printed of netrunner. Maybe I should break out my old decks!

It’s called NISEI, they can be found on drivethru card.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

John Romero posted:

do you think they do a deadpool hero pack or a whole box? feels like hes too big for a pack but too small for an expansion

It feels like a hero pack but I think they’re going to do a lot of the things he does with spider ham.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

John Romero posted:

He’ll be a hero pack for sure. They always reserve “known quantity but wouldn’t have people rushing to buy” for expansion sets. Except I think they somewhat got that wrong I think for Sinister Motives where people would have been better buying Miles and Gwen separately and Spider-Ham/Penny Parker would have been the inclusions. Looking at Mutant Genesis though proves it to be true again where Colossus and Shadowcat definitely wouldn’t have pushed as many hero packs as Cyclops and Phoenix.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe they'll do a 90s wave of X-Men and mutant affiliated characters with like, Cable and Deadpool either in the expansion or as hero packs and then some of the more recent (in relative terms) X-Men like Emma Frost with Apocalypse and his horsemen as the villain.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deadpool would certainly be a strong possibility. Cable could be a potential choice though I wonder if we'd get the Kid Cable version that's been the comics version for a few years since they seem to want to have a fair amount of young heroes. I'm pretty curious to see which guys get left behind in favor of the women or if they end up with an imbalance again. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious if we see characters like Hope or Armor before we see someone like Angel(preferably with Archangel form) or Beast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They could be weird and make Gwen poole/deadpool one hero.

There are a lot of people that you would never play separately, like quasar or cloak and dagger.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i think that a marvel knights or new avengers wave would be extremely sick

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they've said often that Moon Knight is one of their most requested heroes so I wouldn't be shocked to see Daredevil and Moon Knight after the X-Men

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought the Everytime I die album, radical

it is radical

Unfortunately I didn't realize I have no way to play CDs right now :\

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Is that the new Champions Villain? Must have missed the spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ran through a series of expert fights with Quicksilver and Ironheart both leadership. This was me testing out the "Go All Out" finisher and boy is it great. With 3x R&D Facilities on the board, using Black Panther to bank a copy of Go All Out, I was reliably hitting with it for 18 damage. Typically midway through the second pass through the deck, although one time I did get it out before cycling the deck. The key cards for the combo are as follows:

1x Always Be Running
2x Go All Out (one in hand and second copy on the board under Black Panther)
1x Maximum Velocity

On the board: three copies of R&D, Quincarrier, Helicarrier, Friction Resistance, and each of QS upgrades.

ABR pays for itself off Friction Resistance leaving us with 6 resources needed to be paid for. Friction Resistance can be triggered twice in a turn just due to QS ability, Helicarrier and Quincarrier contribute one each, and the two cards left over in our hand cover the other two.

Each Go All Out deals 18 damage (3 from QS base states, 3 from his upgrades, 6 from 1 use of each of the 3 R&Ds, and 6 more from Maximum Velocity).

You could even get another 3 if you started in base form and played Moxie but I wasn't doing that as my intent was to stay in hero form as much as I could to prevent double schemes(this would be much more viable in a 2 player situation). Similarly, there's a version of the deck on the database that uses Avengers Assemble, Symbiote Suit, and Morale Boost but I just found it overall inconsistent. The deck posted there is really more of a "what if we just threw in everything we can to boost Go All Out" and really isn't that great as it offers nothing while trying to build up it's board. There's real not much reason to boost your damage to 20 when 18 gets you close enough anyway. I found the R&D Facilities to be a lot better at helping keep the board clear of threat and minions until your damage turn.