Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Sons of Horus or Death Guard and WHY???

Someone answer that question and that's who I'll do as my Traitors. I'll even TOXX myself in the painting thread or something if I don't follow up

Sons of Horus special ability seems nifty but Death Guard have weapons of mass destruction and templates galore

Edit: OH GOD NEW PAGE!!!

Warhammer community is about Salamanders today

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-all-warhammer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They're Sworn Brothers (and in DG's case, SoH are their only Sworn Brothers).

Do both :getin:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm doing a new DG army, and it's purely because of how cool the Mk6 look with the DG pickelhauben

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Super tempted by SoH but I'm already deep in 3d-printed Alpha Legion iconography I'm staying the course.

That said permanently subtracting 2 from your enemy's charge distances and weapon ranges is still pretty good.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Their terminators having the line keyword which means they are scoring units right? That's pretty cool to have out of the box ( the lernaean terminators I mean). I also like the phantasm esque warlord trait, pretty excited overall for the boys in blue/green.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
think they're the only line terminators outside of the veteran RoW.

Banestrike bolters also got a bump in strength so Headhunters don't seem as bad.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, if I'm reading that Games Workship article correctly, the Horus Heresy Big Box is available for pre order this weekend?

I love that old Rhino with the independently mounted bolters; 30k effectively leverages it pseudo historical setting as nostalgia.

I'm thinking of relativity inexpensive ways to build out the box just a bit: maybe Rhino, heavy weapon sprue, and possibly one more marine squad?

Yeah the pseudo historical setting is a big appeal and its one of the reasons narrative gaming tends to dominate the scene- though the interpretation of narrative varies (the harshest dumpsterings I have received came from brutal cool fluffy themed armies)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Sons of Horus or Death Guard and WHY???

Someone answer that question and that's who I'll do as my Traitors. I'll even TOXX myself in the painting thread or something if I don't follow up

Sons of Horus special ability seems nifty but Death Guard have weapons of mass destruction and templates galore

Edit: OH GOD NEW PAGE!!!

Warhammer community is about Salamanders today

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-all-warhammer/

DG cos they're easy to paint. Mine are all white-ish, seraphim sepia, white-ish drybrush.

Goons recommend Death World Forest over Loren Green for, er, green.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

JcDent posted:

DG cos they're easy to paint. Mine are all white-ish, seraphim sepia, white-ish drybrush.

Goons recommend Death World Forest over Loren Green for, er, green.
They're also great in that while they have an easy scheme you can also go nuts with layering and weathering and get some amazing (and thematic) results:

(Not mine, I found it here when looking for some painting inspiration)

I'm still tossing up between whether I want to do Death Guard or Iron Warriors. I love the look of the MKIII stuff which fits either of them and both have fairly simple schemes that can be made as complex as I feel like through extra weathering.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
ok here's my DG, they need a pass with oils for the new edition but :effort:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

They don't need a pass with anything, they look fantastic

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One thing I have really noticed a lot is that probably 90 percent of people are starting a traitor faction. I suppose Loyalists are just too boring indeed.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Lord_Hambrose posted:

One thing I have really noticed a lot is that probably 90 percent of people are starting a traitor faction. I suppose Loyalists are just too boring indeed.

I imagine it will be easier to use a 30k traitor army in 40k than a loyalist one with the shift being towards Primaris. I keep waffling with getting Alpha Legion just so I can use them wherever and whenever.

Dark Angels will probably win the contest because power armor in robes is just a great aesthetic.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Crazy Ferret posted:

I imagine it will be easier to use a 30k traitor army in 40k than a loyalist one with the shift being towards Primaris.

In this legal in, say, these "[CITY] Open" type tournaments I hear about in the badcast? I imagine those are the most organized/formal I'd ever do, and I'd certainly considered running 30k minis in 40k.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Only the most depraved gamers would lower themselves to playing 40k.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I haven't played in a decade, and the current vehicle rules make me very mad, but when I recommitted myself to the hobby I swore I'd play games, including with strangers and at tournaments, and by default I figured that meant 40k. But hey, maybe this boxed set changes that??

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'd rather not play than play 40k.

Tangentially related, what are the best/most widely used Epic rules for HH? We tried Imperium Dominatus recently and it's a bit wild.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, at least in our league traitors have always been more popular. 40k is more a story about the loyalists, so maybe its not a surprise that people want to explore the stories of the traitors. Their rise and fall is often more tragic and interesting, and in the Heresy they're full fledged legions rather than homogenous spiky boys

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Got my Box and Kratos preordered. Extremely excited!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Is that new Corax art? I feel like that's new Corax art.

God, I wish any of the Raven Guard books were good.

In other news, my FLGS just doesn't do preorders; they get the boxes in and it's first come first serve. So I guess I'm ordering from GW.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stephenls posted:

Is that new Corax art? I feel like that's new Corax art.

God, I wish any of the Raven Guard books were good.

In other news, my FLGS just doesn't do preorders; they get the boxes in and it's first come first serve. So I guess I'm ordering from GW.

I actually talked to mine and they said they got their orders in to ensure that anyone who pre-ordered will definitely get it and they will still have tons more. They basically said they ordered as many as GW would allow.

It would be kind of funny if somehow this launch does better than ninth edition in terms of sales or something similar to that.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

JcDent posted:

I'd rather not play than play 40k.

Tangentially related, what are the best/most widely used Epic rules for HH? We tried Imperium Dominatus recently and it's a bit wild.

Epic Horus Heresy used the epicAU rules and some custom list that were incredibly balanced and very well done IMHO
I believe you can find them.....here
http://web.archive.org/web/20201112013556/http://epicau.com/mw/index.php/Legion_Astartes

Epic Armageddon with the Horus Heresy. Seriously good stuff

And also....Death Guard it is for me! Yay. Now to look up some more painting videos and get more ideas on my overall list.
Just. All the drat templates. All of em. Flame throwers with fleshbane to the face bitches

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I haven't played in a decade, and the current vehicle rules make me very mad, but when I recommitted myself to the hobby I swore I'd play games, including with strangers and at tournaments, and by default I figured that meant 40k. But hey, maybe this boxed set changes that??

Come to LVO.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Epic Horus Heresy used the epicAU rules and some custom list that were incredibly balanced and very well done IMHO
I believe you can find them.....here
http://web.archive.org/web/20201112013556/http://epicau.com/mw/index.php/Legion_Astartes

Epic Armageddon with the Horus Heresy. Seriously good stuff

And also....Death Guard it is for me! Yay. Now to look up some more painting videos and get more ideas on my overall list.
Just. All the drat templates. All of em. Flame throwers with fleshbane to the face bitches

Yeah, I'm looking into EpicAU, thanks.

Also: Fleshbane AND Get's Hot!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
** hog sounds **

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The plastic Leviathan kit is confirmed, with a fancy trailer! The amount of 30k support being pushed is impressive.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deofuta posted:

The plastic Leviathan kit is confirmed, with a fancy trailer! The amount of 30k support being pushed is impressive.

Hmm.

When Guerilla Miniatures Games boxed set review (I think) mentioned that the Contemptor Dreadnought can be outfitted in the new edition of Heresy with a bunch of weapon options not included in the box, together with GW removing the resin Contemptor weapons from the FW store, I had assumed this meant the stand-alone Contemptor kit would come with an extra weapon sprue not included in the boxed set, to motivate folks to pick up its stand-alone option. But here we have a Leviathan that seems to come with only three weapons in the box, all of which are guns -- no siege claw.

We're getting stand-alone dreadnought weapon upgrade boxes, aren't we?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Stephenls posted:

We're getting stand-alone dreadnought weapon upgrade boxes, aren't we?

I suspected as much when the plastic contemptor was revealed without a volkite option and volkite contemptors were still legal in 40k.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

AnEdgelord posted:

I suspected as much when the plastic contemptor was revealed without a volkite option and volkite contemptors were still legal in 40k.

Actually, I'm re-thinking this.

I think there's a chance the siege claw and siege drill will remain in resin because they're designed to be done with a resin cable running from the gauntlet to the dreadnought's back that you re-shape in hot water to fit your pose, you know, can't do that in plastic. And I think we're definitely getting an extra weapon sprue for the contemptor but I don't know if GW will sell it separately or bundle it exclusively with the stand-alone plastic contemptor kit, to reduce SKUs and ensure that even people who got a contemptor through the Age of Darkness box have a reason to buy the full stand-alone kit later.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah, at least in our league traitors have always been more popular. 40k is more a story about the loyalists, so maybe its not a surprise that people want to explore the stories of the traitors. Their rise and fall is often more tragic and interesting, and in the Heresy they're full fledged legions rather than homogenous spiky boys

My DG were always and will always be loyalists. My SoH were also meant to be that, but I got secret santa'd a Horus, and now I'm confused.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deofuta posted:

I’m hoping they’ll eventually do expansions for the Unification Wars, Solar Reclamation, and the Great Crusade. I mean the units generally work, at the very least for the Crusade.

Also Thunder Warrior Minis :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Just finished up some Justaerin termies for my Sons of Horus army. Can't wait for the BOX

(Bases aren't done)

Edit--
Oh, new folks. Well, I'm not new to Warhammer, just 30k

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BULBASAUR posted:

World Eaters or Blood Angels, honestly haven't decided yet. The Blood Angels have cooler unique units but I think they'll be a lot harder to paint well.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

World Eaters or Blood Angels, honestly haven't decided yet. The Blood Angels have cooler unique units but I think they'll be a lot harder to paint well.

I would argue that white is harder than red, but your mileage may vary. Blood Angels also benefit from having some great paints in the new Contrast line.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

Honestly, Ultramarines. I've never had an army of them even though they're the default, and I've liked them a lot ever since the fuff developed them out to be the Marines that value logistics. I really like that, and their emphasis on a balanced force of combined arms (with a slight bias towards infantry), and being generally good rulers and protectors who maintain the closest thing to a good place to live fine hundred works of Ultramar.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Honestly, Ultramarines. I've never had an army of them even though they're the default, and I've liked them a lot ever since the fuff developed them out to be the Marines that value logistics. I really like that, and their emphasis on a balanced force of combined arms (with a slight bias towards infantry), and being generally good rulers and protectors who maintain the closest thing to a good place to live fine hundred works of Ultramar.

Good news, in 30k, they have the added bonus of not being the "default legion" nor as bland as they can sometimes be in 40k. They aren't necessarily main players in a good chunk of the events of the Heresy, but they're still pretty important, and definitely have all the combined arms and logistical focus you could want, along with arguably the best legion-specific unit in the game with Invictus Suzerains.

Plus they absolutely hate Word Bearers, who are total dicks!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

I remain devoted to the Raven Guard, despite their complete lack of interesting novel content (except for that one bit where a traitor points out to Corax that the Primarchs are clearly warp-spawn, and Corax, who's possessed the ability to force people to ignore his presence his whole life with no obvious material mechanism, basically goes "poo poo, he's right"), so plastic beakies make me happy.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 2, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

BULBASAUR posted:

Night Lords! Mainly for the colours, but I like the iconography and aesthetic as well. I hate all primarchs tho, Curze included.

(I really like Solar Auxilia, if the new job I'm starting works out well, I might...)