Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Gnoman posted:

It is pretty clear in-game that the unsent are still the actual people. It just takes an extreme effort of will to retain your personanity under those circumstances, and most who try it become fiends.

My take on Seymour is that his increasingly monstrous transformations are because he doesn't have the same willpower that unsent like Mika have, and he's already degrading.

I've always been convinced his transformations are him deliberately half-fiending himself with recently-deceased pyreflies for more power, so the difference between Seymour and Mika is that Mika doesn't *want* to become a monster to fight people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
He definitely killed Kinoc and his guards just before the bossfights and that caused pyreflies to appear and fuse with him, so that might be the case. The question is, can he go back to normal now or is he stuck like that?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Seymour has the willpower. It's that he's also a summoner, and so is skilled at manipulating pyreflies to create new forms, and that includes his own.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Can't wait for his final form

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 43 - Here's Some Fast, Boyee

:geno:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Bad Breath is so loving brutal in this game. Confusion, Darkness, Silence, and Poison across the entire party. You got real lucky in that encounter that Kimarhi avoided confusion so that you could get Gooba& in for Flee.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never really thought of it to this extent; Sin's power is just so overwhelming that nothing can really stand up to it anyway. But I like your idea.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd give Seymour that much credit. It's clear at the current point in the game that no power can stand up to Sin except for the Final Aeon. If Seymour thinks he can control Sin once he becomes it, then there's really no reason for him to bother taking the Crusaders out. If he figures he can control Sin, then he's obviously not going to fall for the luring tactics that have been used so far.

Personally, my theory is more that Seymour encouraged Operation Mi'hen because it let him see for himself just how powerful/resilient Sin really is.

The Thread posted:

Pyrefly talk

All of the talk about how pyreflies work and dead people in Spira just being able to nope their way out of death if they really really want to reminds me about how much more stupid this concept becomes in FFX's expanded universe lore.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

you don't have to be euphemistic. Kimhari knows. Kimhari fucks

While I no doubt believe that Kimhari knows, I doubt that he fucks. He's the tiny hornless Ronso that's been living on Besaid as Yuna's protector for the last ten years. No way Kimhari has been tapping any Ronso rear end, and his non-Ronso options are real limited on that backwater island.

Now come FFX-2? That's a different story. X-2 Kimhari has definitely gotten some action at that point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how with the way the balls home and one getting instantly spawned on getting hit add together to make getting hit near the end much more painful than if you get hit early.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hyper Dodger is by far the worst, much more so than the one everybody complains about.

One of the tricks to these many games is that when the instructions show the D-pad for controls, they mean it. The analog stick will work, but majorly over-steers.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The controls are exactly as awful as the commentary would suggest, yes. And the balls/birds do indeed appear out of nowhere and change direction whenever, that's not a draw distance thing, the PS2 version was exactly as bad about it. The only saving grace, if you want to call it that, for this minigame is that it's short. You only need one lucky run.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, I don't know if I'd give Seymour that much credit. It's clear at the current point in the game that no power can stand up to Sin except for the Final Aeon. If Seymour thinks he can control Sin once he becomes it, then there's really no reason for him to bother taking the Crusaders out. If he figures he can control Sin, then he's obviously not going to fall for the luring tactics that have been used so far.

Personally, my theory is more that Seymour encouraged Operation Mi'hen because it let him see for himself just how powerful/resilient Sin really is.

My take was always simply that he felt it proved his point. Everybody went and got their hopes up and look what happened. There is no hope, only death awaits for everybody - and that's the "optimal" outcome in his warped mind.

Basically it serves as a good demonstration of how he and the other Maesters begin at a similar place but end up radically different places. Demonstrating that fighting Sin is pointless was their mutual goal but Seymour goes a step further into "we might as well just view Sin as our great liberator."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I should mention, this happened between episodes:

https://twitter.com/graciegr4c3/status/1528140982004461568?t=nMTiEMifFg94beJuYPjwJg&s=19

Thank god for the share feature or nobody would believe me

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The between episodes performance is incredible! The in-episode performance is... well, pretty much what happens to everyone in fuckin Hyper Dodger. I actually hate the race less, just because the drat balls don't explode into more balls.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Akratic Method posted:

The between episodes performance is incredible! The in-episode performance is... well, pretty much what happens to everyone in fuckin Hyper Dodger. I actually hate the race less, just because the drat balls don't explode into more balls.

The race birds are also mostly dumbfire. You can win that just by developing an optimal route that avoids them.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Prythian posted:

Mika doesn't *want* to become a monster to fight people.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Wobbly chocobo is a cruel idea. I would never mock you for it. I'll mock you for castrating Auron

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 44 - I Just Wanna Go To Rin's, Man

These lands aren't calm at all what the gently caress Maechen

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blitzball

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So still trying to catch up but Dan constantly using Auron to kill the agile evasive doggo enemies on the Mi'ihen Highroad was making me go hm.

And just now he killed two Cactuars in a row with Auron.

This is not how the game is supposed to work.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

NikkolasKing posted:

First Dan & Grace LP?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

NikkolasKing posted:

So still trying to catch up but Dan constantly using Auron to kill the agile evasive doggo enemies on the Mi'ihen Highroad was making me go hm.

And just now he killed two Cactuars in a row with Auron.

He did lead Auron a bit along Gooba&s path, which made him hit more consistently, but mostly it's brute force.
Anyway, it's really weird that the alledged main character hits about half as strong as Khimari, while that guy also steals (Rikku's job)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Arguably, Yuna's the main protagonist character of this game even if she's not the viewpoint.

But the MC of FF games often isn't the hardest hitter mechanically. Here, his gimmick is supposed to be accuracy, not power - he offsets the Nimble status naturally, which is very hard to offset with raw stats.

Khimari is supposed to be the character who can do a little bit of everything, so him hitting between Gooba& and Auron in both accuracy and damage is pretty much what he's supposed to be. It really feels like the expert Sphere Grid does a much better job at letting Khimari actually do that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love how you were so disillusioned by this minigame that you didn't even want to pick up a bird when you went away from it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The triumphant return of BLIBAWWWWWW

(but yes, the plight of Auron pains me eternally, and my hatred burns everlasting, I live for the day when Auron finally gets to move)

And yes, you have seen the power... and limitations of Brother. He could be great on Defense, but his mediocre attack score means that would-be shooters on the enemy team tend to just break through him and not deal with his monstrous block score. He's better off in the Midfield replacing Letty (even if Letty is one of the better default Aurochs) due to his incredibly swim speed and the fact that both of his offensive scores are just as sky-high as his block.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 1, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

There's a Fortune Sphere coming soon! The upcoming optional area, and the next story area, both have a Fortune Sphere.

Also Dan, seriously, don't waste one on a Luck node that isn't +4 it is shameful. I would literally use a Clear Sphere on that node and replace it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I really want Dan to use that upcoming fortune sphere only to place a new luck sphere right next to it. Unfortunately, I don't think he'd be willing to do that bit.

Edit:That lame pun wasn't intended.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 1, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Auron is fine he just needs this one luck node is all

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Now that BLIZZZBAAAAWWW is back, here's what I mean when I say Brother can be easily used to just humiliate most other teams:

They get the ball, move forward, he blocks their pass or tackles them, flies past all defenders, takes an open shot, scores, repeat.

If I could get... looks like 2? more, I could see whether they start scrolling or just print past the bottom of the screen.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Anyway, it's really weird that the alledged main character hits about half as strong as Khimari, while that guy also steals (Rikku's job)
Rikku's job is to get All Of The Turns. At equal levels, normal grid Rikku gets turns like hasted Auron. Then you spend them on anything that doesn't care about her crappy Strength/Magic (steal/phoenix downs/buffs/demi/...)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 45 - That Thing Dan Always Hits

Look I COULD wire the controller to the ps5 and eliminate the input lag, but like then I'd have to lean forward a bit and I don't want to

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am glad you randomly stumbled across the cheese tactic for that boss after you noticed that he wasn't immune to provoke.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

If you decide that you're going to do postgame super-fight stuff, the Monster Hunter mechanic is pretty central. In particular [mechanical spoilers] it's a source of triple AP weapons, which if you spruce them up with Triple Overdrive and Overdrive->AP, then set Overdrive mode to Comrade (overdrive for ally taking damage) and fight an enemy that can do 99999 damage, will give you literally 60-70 sphere levels per fight so that you don't have to spend too much time grinding out levels... though you have to grind some to get to a point where you can reliably beat One Eye, the special arena monster that drops the weapons

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Even as a huge FFX fan, this whole thing is the worst. "The maester doesn't need you alive"? Um, yes, hs specifically does. The fight itself is boring as poo poo - terribly designed enemy visually, with about three attacks which are all just PUNCH.

This is the definition of padding

Anyway, that's interesting to hear Dan never actually beat X? So this will be a whole new experience for both of you soon enough. That's awesome.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Next time, probably: The best/worst line read in the game

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've experienced the rest through LPs and stuff, but as a kid I never managed to beat Seymour Flux so everything after that I've never personally played myself.

I can't wait :geno:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

I've experienced the rest through LPs and stuff, but as a kid I never managed to beat Seymour Flux so everything after that I've never personally played myself.

Many summoners players are bested by the harsh journey through Mt. Gagazet.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's definitely a game that Brother can accomplish.

In addition to that, he has a really good pass stat, so you could even share the goals. It would probably end up in less goals overall because of the pass time but hey....

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Danaru posted:

Poison is absolutely broken.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That boss is a genuine pain in the rear end.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would say there are four notable roadblock story bosses to average players, two coming up and SinSapwn Gui and Evrae before.

But something I realized in my last run of FFX is that every boss worth remembering has a fixed pattern. I don't know if they all do but Seymour always does, Gui did, Evrae did, and so-on.

It helps a lot knowing this, especially for these upcoming roadblocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

btw