Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

People generally advise reading the first three books even if they're variable in quality, and then...

First Heretic is probably the one I read the fastest, loving devoured it, and it's about those assholes Word Bearers.

Master of Mankind is also fairly neat.

Can't talk much about the rest except that anything by Graham McNeil will have the worst battle scenes known to man, just utter garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of the novels, What are the best three books in the Horus Heresy? I hear some people swear X is great, some people think X is actually bad; I'm a bit on the picky side when it comes to fiction but I liked Eisenhorn, and I figure if I get a cross section of what people think is the best of the best I can't go far wrong.

I'm listening to Scars right now and, besides laughing at a white guy doing Asian voices, its good!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

BULBASAUR posted:

Which legions are you new folks thinking of starting?

Salamanders because they're black and so am I

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ijyt asked earlier, but would you new folks like us to do a legion by legion breakdown?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

Ijyt asked earlier, but would you new folks like us to do a legion by legion breakdown?

Yes, absolutely. I've read the goonhammer articles and have a general osmosis level of knowledge, but I'd love to an effort post on them.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

BULBASAUR posted:

There's too many I'm interested in, but here they are.

Loyalists:
Ultramarines: I like the colour scheme and the rules for them seem general enough to not shoehorn me into a specific play style
Slamanders: Fire weapons are cool and I like that they seem like the closest thing to a good guy a space marine can be
Iron Hands: Cyborgs are neat

Traitors:
Thousand Sons: I'm more interested in the 40k counterpart but the look of their units are still cool and the have rad robots
Alpha Legion: that rule where you can take a unit from another faction seems like it could add a lot of variety
Iron Warriors: Cyborgs are neat

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 2, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

I half jokingly want to do Loyalist Emperor's Children and Traitor Iron Hands

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Betrayer goes on the list.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Know No Fear

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I have an embarrassingly large collection of custodes, but from two games with them half a year or so ago they ended up feeling far too powerful to find the right balance for casual gaming against Marines.

I'm in on Alpha Legion. The color is sweet, I've been working on airbrushing to get the right shade of blue, and I love the endless circles within circles nonsense lore. Also the scale themed terminators and primarch look very, very cool.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm doing Salamanders, but I was considering White Scars (because I got the Khan's primarch book in a humble bundle and it rocks) and 1k Sons (because I got a Burning of Prospero box a while back). Maybe as allied detachments down the line (especially if they do plastic Legion Outriders).

Going to nab a box of Rubric Marines for Kill Team at some point and test the heresy-era scheme on them (there's precedent for that scheme). Then maybe nab some Scarab Occult termies if that scheme works out to use as Sehkmet.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JcDent posted:

People generally advise reading the first three books even if they're variable in quality, and then...

First Heretic is probably the one I read the fastest, loving devoured it, and it's about those assholes Word Bearers.

Master of Mankind is also fairly neat.

Can't talk much about the rest except that anything by Graham McNeil will have the worst battle scenes known to man, just utter garbage.

Know No Fear is a loving blast. It explains why Ultramarine Sgts wear red helmets, how being the tactical perfect bros. works in battle, and shows that Guilliman has a little of that warp rage in him when he gets pushed to far.

Also overall the first 3 books are a great set up. Mechanicum is fun if you like Titans. A Thousand Sons & Prospero Burns are a good duology if you like the T.Sons vs. Space Wolfs thing. First Heretic, Know No Fear, and Betrayer make a nice loose trilogy about Word Bears & Ultramarines. Master of Mankind is cool if you like Custodes or to find out more about the Emperors webway project / The Imperial Dungeon.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 2, 2022

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jack B Nimble posted:

Scars, First Heretic, Betrayer. EZ.

Shout out to Know No Fear for also being incredible

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Know No Fear makes a great standalone novel, I think I read it before any of the other HH books and only needed limited knowledge of the background. I don't know if it's the best but it's an excellent entry point.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
On the other hand Im listening to the Fulgrim book and its been an absolute chore

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BULBASAUR posted:

I keep waffling back and forth between Traitor Death Guard and Loyalist Iron Warriors. I love the look of the MKII/MKIII armour and really like using dreads and tanks, both of which work with both (although Death Guard aren't quite as heavy on the tanks as Iron Warriors but they'd still use Spartans/Rhinos/Land Raiders/etc).

I already have some Iron Warriors in 40k because I liked the idea of a Chaos faction that doesn't see Chaos as anything other than a tool. Maybe I should just grab some of the plastic MKIII marines and Terminators from the new box and use them to make the equivalent of Chaos Marines, Havocs and Terminators to go with my 40k IW Daemon Engines and go all in on Death Guard for HH.

E: Hmm, Imperial Fists and Ultramarines might also work since Heresy colour schemes tend more towards gritty and desaturated and that’s one of the things I don’t really like about them in 40k.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 2, 2022

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnEdgelord posted:

On the other hand Im listening to the Fulgrim book and its been an absolute chore

I hated almost all of that book. In hindsight its kind of neat how it shows their slide into Chaos but the entire time I just wanted to smack some common sense into them. The ending is pretty sweet though.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

BULBASAUR posted:

I painted Saul Tarvitz earlier this year because I love his character. Might as well reinforce him with some loyalist Emperor's Children to make the traitors pay for every inch of ground. :black101:

Commissar Canuck fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 2, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

BULBASAUR posted:

Either Oldhammer Smurfs or Tacticool Alpha Legion

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

jassi007 posted:

I hated almost all of that book. In hindsight its kind of neat how it shows their slide into Chaos but the entire time I just wanted to smack some common sense into them. The ending is pretty sweet though.

Ferrus shoulda given his bro a couple more hugs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I think if the emperor had just come by and hugged horus a few times after he became warmaster the whole mess woulda been avoided

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think if the emperor had just come by and hugged horus a few times after he became warmaster the whole mess woulda been avoided

tbh he didn't even need to hug him, he just had to call him or send him a letter once a week

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnEdgelord posted:

tbh he didn't even need to hug him, he just had to call him or send him a letter once a week

Dear Hourus,

Heard you got stabbed by a knife. Lol, your supposed to be an immortal demi-god. Anyway, hope you get better soon. Conquer the galaxy, for me!

Love,

Dad.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hi, I’m here to strongly recommend attending the Las Vegas Open, and playing 30k with the 20 of us that show up. It’s cheap to get there and we’ll go to a burger place where a 3’ tall woman will paddle us on the rear end.

We’ll be playing Zone Mortalis, which means you only need to cough up 1,000 points, easily achievable with the new Box!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

panascope posted:

Hi, I’m here to strongly recommend attending the Las Vegas Open, and playing 30k with the 20 of us that show up. It’s cheap to get there and we’ll go to a burger place where a 3’ tall woman will paddle us on the rear end.

We’ll be playing Zone Mortalis, which means you only need to cough up 1,000 points, easily achievable with the new Box!

Can confirm, LVO with the 30k thread is both a tradition and a great time. Met some great people, wore some matching T-shirts, and disrupted at least one well-attended dinner theater performance with a whole gang of black-out drunk goons from all over the world.

EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

gently caress THE PRINCE HE'S A COWARD!!!

EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

BULBASAUR posted:

Still all in on Loyalist Emperor's Children. New to the hobby in general, working my way through a box of CSMs to get the hang of assembly and painting, and I'll probably start working on a 40k army of Emps Children or a Fabius Bile army comprised mostly of OG EC

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons, Flight of the Eisenstein are probably my picks.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 3, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
In terms of doing a legion for 30k that I've never painted or played in 40k before, I'm thinking of doing Imperial Fists. Partly because I've painted/played their two most well-known successor chapters (Crimson Fists and Black Templars) before in 40k, so I figure I should give the OG kids of Dorn a try; and partly because my brother is a huge Iron Warriors fanboy, so it'd be neat to pit the two legendary rivals against each other 30k-style.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Glad to see so much interest! Seeing how much there is, the Slack hivemind is working on an overview of each legion. We won't cover everything in depth, but it should give you new folks an idea of how they play, changes from the 1st to 2nd edition, and that sort of thing. We hope to do one every few days starting this weekend.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

panascope posted:

The paddling is true. there's video evidence. this will be shown to you upon initiation into our cloister.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Saturnine is probably way up at the top for me but it’s pretty deep in the endgame of the series.

First heretic and betrayer follow each other and are also really good.

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I already have some unlovable garbage nerds (the Word Bearers) in 40k, so I'll be collecting their loyalist counterpart and starting a Dark Angels army.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this the LVO that start Jan 26th 2023?

https://www.lasvegasopen.net/home-1

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I'm excited to get back to my XXth Legion. They've lain fallow for a couple years as I was pretty dissatisfied with they way they played in 1.0. I either had a list that was horribly unfun to play against or vanilla models with an extra movement phase. The initial leaks brought me back in and I'm looking forward to finishing upscaling my Headhunters, now that they're useful. I even got enough done to head out to what was one of the last local events in 1.0 (and get my rear end beat).

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

why hello my fellow impaled-IF enjoying friend

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm going to be going Word Bearers because I really like their religious aesthetic and things like thr Gal Vorbek and the possessed dread look awesome. Plus, depending on how the rules for demon summoning/allying work they kinda remind me of the old 3.5 CSM rules. Plus their scheme looks awesome.

As for my 3 favorite books from the Heresy series, it's definitely First Heretic, Betrayer, and Know No Fear. And no, I didn't choose these because I like Word Bearers, its actually the other way around. These books made me like the Word Bearers(as well as like the Ultramarines). The portrayal of the World Eaters in Betrayer is also awesome and makes them very sympathetic and fleshed out beyond just mindless berserkers.

Titandeath was also a fun read and led me to choosing Legio Vulpa for my Titanicus legio.

Even though it will always be the second best game set in the Horus Heresy, behind Titanicus of course, I am definitely excited about finally getting into 30k. (I still wish they went epic scale though)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Really appreciating all the book recommendations, as someone who already knows they enjoy Dan Abbnet and who also has vague recollections of the first few books from read up through Flight of the Eisenstein when it was published, I jumped straight into Know No Fear. However, I don't want to neglect this other author who's so well regarded so I'm probably going to make betrayer my next choice.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Calling these Justaerin done.

Tomorrow is BOX DAY

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hixson posted:

why hello my fellow impaled-IF enjoying friend

Well Emperor be damned, I feel motivated. The paintjob I have to aspire to!

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

This might be a stupid question. But, could I just paint the box set as crimson fists and use them in 40k official tournaments as classic marines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AchtungBaby posted:

This might be a stupid question. But, could I just paint the box set as crimson fists and use them in 40k official tournaments as classic marines?

I don't play 40k, but I can't imagine Marines in a mark of armor that exists in the fluff as being somehow not allowed in a 40k event.