Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Hammerite posted:

You can't transfer items from generation to generation.

IIRC the Gen 3 -> 4 transfer does in fact allow items, that's why the first 50 Gen 4 TMs are identical to their Gen 3 counterparts. But yeah they dropped that pretty quickly after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

i kind of hate how the human models look in game compared to the character art. they look like they're ripped from pokemon go and are missing the anime look of characters from past games that were charming

Not gonna lie I'm not thrilled about this either but the NPC's look reasonable enough and the designs are still good. But seriously I don't think I want this going forward.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I can’t figure out exactly which cartoon lizard the red dragon reminds me of, besides Guilmon. It’s the face specifically. Any ideas?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Flyndre posted:

Just doing the story and otherwise collecting rare and cool Pokémon. Not completing the Pokédex. I was thinking mainly if there were specific Pokémon that are really hard or impossible to get later on, that makes sense to pick up along the way

when i went through all the games i found it useful to use the previous game to setup HM users for the next one in advance

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

IIRC the Gen 3 -> 4 transfer does in fact allow items, that's why the first 50 Gen 4 TMs are identical to their Gen 3 counterparts. But yeah they dropped that pretty quickly after that.

I didn't know that. I took a break from pokemon after playing the original Ruby and started playing again with White.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/itsmigdalltime/status/1532381492336381953?s=21&t=wtlFMyldV16wWzKtAPrw7A

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nanigans posted:

I can’t figure out exactly which cartoon lizard the red dragon reminds me of, besides Guilmon. It’s the face specifically. Any ideas?

Got some Shoutmon, from Xros Wars vibes too

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

After watching the trailer on a proper screen, I think teh game looks fine.

It's still ugly, but it's not like... borderline insulting like SwSh.

I'm still not convinced to buy it, but it's so much nicer to look at than SwSh was, and seemingly no routes is very welcome.

Being better than Sw/Sh is an incredibly low bar to clear.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Flyndre posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Violet/Scarlet hype chat. I’m playing through Leafgreen and Heartgold now, and I have Emerald, Platinum and White waiting for me. My plan is to bring my Pokémon through the different generations as I go along. Are there any particular Pokémon or items that are particularly worthwhile to bring to the newer generations?

There is almost no point in doing this, from a practical perspective. Just, you know, so you're not wasting a ton of time doing this with a ton of mons. Might be useful to carry whatever legendary pokemon you grab along with you so you end up with duplicates to trade away for other things you might want. And like everyone's already said, you can't carry items forever but I mean carry forth Master Balls as long as you can, and save them for shinies that might otherwise escape or selfdestruct.
From a non-practical perspective, though, I am all about carrying pals along. I have boxes and boxes of Pokemon hanging out in my copy of Sun that are just pals from older versions, many of whom were painstakingly bred and trained and then rendered obsolete by how much easier breeding and training became. I never bothered moving them up to Shield because it was too much of an effort to sort through who would and wouldn't be stuck in Pokemon Home for all eternity, so they can all just hang out with my character in Sun til the end of time, I guess.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I just realized 2 things about new Pokemon names:

-Pawmi might not be a Pikaclone, its JP name is Pamo which is kinda different, and all Pikaclones till now keep the japanese name iirc.

-Koraidon and Miraidon are literally ancient and future lol, talk about on the nose names.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dpulex posted:

Being better than Sw/Sh is an incredibly low bar to clear.

Better to go up than down I say.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

-Pawmi might not be a Pikaclone, its JP name is Pamo which is kinda different, and all Pikaclones till now keep the japanese name iirc.

-Koraidon and Miraidon are literally ancient and future lol, talk about on the nose names.

There's at least 4 puns going on here

- Kora and Mira being ancient / future
- They have "ride on" in their name
- Don is a respectful title in Spanish
- The -don or -on suffix could be related to them being dragons / dinosaurs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by they have the same Japanese name. cause the website lists it as a "mouse pokemon" and it's electric type with circle cheeks. I'm kinda struggling how it'd not be a pikachu clone by some naming technicality.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/tsurudraws/status/1532060884339945472 what's your favorite flavor?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I’m pretty sure it’s not the Pikaclone, they usually don’t get showed this early and it’s face doesn’t fit for a Pikaclone. It’s just a random electric rodent that’s unconnected, most likely, and will probably evolve into something else.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by they have the same Japanese name. cause the website lists it as a "mouse pokemon" and it's electric type with circle cheeks. I'm kinda struggling how it'd not be a pikachu clone by some naming technicality.

Pikaclones all have English names that are equal or almost equal to their Japanese name (Pachirisu/Pachirisu, Morepeko/Morupeko, Dedenne/Dedenne). Pawmi's Japanese name is パモ which transliterates to Pamo, and even if you add the W it ends differently to the English name.

....that said Emolga's JP name is Emonga, so it still could be a Pikaclone.

WarpDogs posted:

There's at least 4 puns going on here

- Kora and Mira being ancient / future
- They have "ride on" in their name
- Don is a respectful title in Spanish
- The -don or -on suffix could be related to them being dragons / dinosaurs

Oh yeah, it's just that they're literally called Past/Future+dinosaur in Japanese, that's naming on the level of Lizardon or Shocks.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

It's just an odd break from tradition that makes some people (myself included) suspect that it might not be the Pika clone.

Because it's lacking any strong design elements that make it unique among the clones, it also looks like it might evolve, which would be another nontraditional aspect of it.

Of course if it does evolve, the evolution might have the original Japanese name.

I'm 50/50 on it myself

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maybe it'll evolved into the region's Chansey/Audino? The defibrilator theming and Natural Cure ability give it a real medic vibe, and it seems more active than the other Pokecenter mons, which would make sense if they've got freestanding outdoor pokecenters in this one.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Strawberry?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Okay guys, hear me out here.

What if, instead of yet another shoehorned in combat gimmick, this game gets an exploration gimmick? Maybe, say, riding the legendaries like Deloreans to time travel in certain spots? I'm imagining basically Dive, But Cooler here, rather than anything like "make the entire game map three times!"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Bee posted:

Okay guys, hear me out here.

What if, instead of yet another shoehorned in combat gimmick, this game gets an exploration gimmick? Maybe, say, riding the legendaries like Deloreans to time travel in certain spots? I'm imagining basically Dive, But Cooler here, rather than anything like "make the entire game map three times!"

I'm honestly half wondering if this plot somehow connects back into the Legends plot line. I mean I'm fairly sure time travel is gonna happen in this one too and there's hisuian pokemon confirmed in the game.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The ride Pokemon in Legends were amazing to control, especially Sneasler and her ability to just climb almost any surface.

So something like that coming back for Scarlet and Violet would be great to see.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I loved riding Ursaluna :kimchi:

Honestly, with the past/future gimmick I wonder if this is a way to keep the forms from PLA relevant, since they would technically be Past-forms. Assuming those rumors are true, which is looking likely. Absolutely need more Hisui Growlith, that design is too good to leave in that one game.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Zuzie posted:

The ride Pokemon in Legends were amazing to control, especially Sneasler and her ability to just climb almost any surface.

So something like that coming back for Scarlet and Violet would be great to see.

Back when I was bingeing PL:A I was doing some sick Sneasler-Braviary switches off of mountains and jumping off cliffs willy-nilly. I'd personally want a rideable Gliscor that does both: scaling walls and flap-gliding.

Going back to a playthru of SwSh after PL:A, I was mortified to remember that you can't bike up certain "walls" in the Wild Area in that game that are just mild inclines, and you have to go the long way around. Feels bad.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
If there's any one change I hope makes the leap over from Arceus, it's the more nimble and seamless-feeling movement in the overworld. It's not something I ever realized the series needed until I experienced it myself. There's no sign of ride Pokémon or an equivalent system in Scarlet/Violet, so I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see. They haven't showcased many systems yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The sign of ride pokemon is Koraidon's wheel chest.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im getting the old one

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Forsythia posted:

If there's any one change I hope makes the leap over from Arceus, it's the more nimble and seamless-feeling movement in the overworld. It's not something I ever realized the series needed until I experienced it myself. There's no sign of ride Pokémon or an equivalent system in Scarlet/Violet, so I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see. They haven't showcased many systems yet.

They'll probably reveal more in later trailers/news updates.

We don't even have a name for the region the games take place in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The sign of ride pokemon is Koraidon's wheel chest.

Their names are literally (Suffix) RIDE ON! and they're both motorcycle dragons. You're gonna be able to ride those dragons around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope Miraidon is a hover bike and not a jet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jetbike?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Guess that makes Wes from Colosseum Miraidon's canonical trainer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'll stick with latios, thanks

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

Vinylshadow posted:

Guess that makes Wes from Colosseum Miraidon's canonical trainer

Wes's bike still have a kind of wheel (making it short of a bad rear end Unicycle). I'm more thinking of Michael's scooter after a Desert upgrade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope there's a regional Roserade.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope there's a regional Roserade.

Regional Matador Roserade and regional Tauros that are opposing elements.

Something like Grass/Water Roserade and Fire/Poison Tauros? They’re both weak and resistant to each other somehow.

Even better, do like Gardevoir/Gallade and have a male-only Rosalia evolution that’s Grass/Fighting and then make Tauros Fire/Normal. Ohhhh man that would be really cool

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 3, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I hope the gym leaders look cool

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I hope the gym leaders look cool

Given the trend established by the Profs and a decent number of recent gym leaders, they too will all be inexplicably hot

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Asterite34 posted:

Given the trend established by the Profs and a decent number of recent gym leaders, they too will all be inexplicably hot

All is as it should be :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the new electric monster is going to evolve into kotora