Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
At least my chances of dying in a mass shooting are less than my chances of dying of COVID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

ikanreed posted:

At least my chances of dying in a mass shooting are less than my chances of dying of COVID

idk about mass shootings specifically but statistically if you’re an American under 40 you’re more likely to be killed by a bullet than covid.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

TheSlutPit posted:

idk about mass shootings specifically but statistically if you’re an American under 40 you’re more likely to be killed by a bullet than covid.

The comorbidities are kind of opposites when you think about it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ikanreed posted:

good thing nobody gives a poo poo about either

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

TheSlutPit posted:

eh this is only because the data for "statistical" cause of deaths is a wildly inconsistent system of independent coroners glancing at a corpse and filling out a form without doing any standardized tests for bacterial or virus related biomarkers.

bullets are an easy autopsy report. a 30 year old dying of a heart attack isn’t initially obvious that the blood clots were the direct result of a covid infection that created a bunch of blood clots that can’t be cleared naturally alongside vagus irregularities leading to heart arrhythmia and the coroner can’t be bothered to even run a standard covid test because that costs them time and money and there’s more corpses that need death certificates

:negative:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2021/12/22/covid-deaths-obscured-inaccurate-death-certificates/8899157002/ posted:

Short-staffed, undertrained and overworked coroners and medical examiners took families at their word when they called to report the death of a relative at home. Coroners and medical examiners didn’t review medical histories or order tests to look for COVID-19. They and some physicians attributed deaths to inaccurate and nonspecific causes that are meaningless to pathologists. In some cases, stringent rules for attributing a death to COVID-19 created obstacles for relatives of the deceased and contradicted CDC guidance.

Lafayette Parish’s chief death investigator, Keith Talamo, acknowledged that most people who die at home are pronounced dead over the phone. He said his office lacks the resources to test every death for COVID-19. In a departure from widely accepted death investigation practices, Talamo said he typically writes down “what the families tell us” and doesn’t push further.

for data on covid deaths you have to look at excess mortality rates

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...ZAF~CHE~SWE~THA

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Lol that the Discourse remembered that mass shootings are constant here and lol that they'll move on in a week

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Computer Serf posted:

eh this is only because the data for "statistical" cause of deaths is a wildly inconsistent system of independent coroners glancing at a corpse and filling out a form without doing any standardized tests for bacterial or virus related biomarkers.

bullets are an easy autopsy report. a 30 year old dying of a heart attack isn’t initially obvious that the blood clots were the direct result of a covid infection that created a bunch of blood clots that can’t be cleared naturally alongside vagus irregularities leading to heart arrhythmia and the coroner can’t be bothered to even run a standard covid test because that costs them time and money and there’s more corpses that need death certificates

:negative:

for data on covid deaths you have to look at excess mortality rates

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...ZAF~CHE~SWE~THA

Unless you think covid deaths are being underreported by a factor of 2x or more, this doesn’t do much but shift the age cutoff a little. If you only look at children 1-17 the official CDC count is 1086 deaths over the entirely of the pandemic, compare this to 4368 gun deaths in 2020 alone in the same age group, 2811 of which were homicides. For under 40, the official covid death count (again over the entirety of the pandemic) is 25710, compared to 24531 for gun deaths in the same age group in 2020 alone. It’s definitely tough to compare the statistics accurately due to differences in how theyre tracked and how accurate the numbers are, but it’s really not even that close.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TheSlutPit posted:

Unless you think covid deaths are being underreported by a factor of 2x or more, this doesn’t do much but shift the age cutoff a little. If you only look at children 1-17 the official CDC count is 1086 deaths over the entirely of the pandemic, compare this to 4368 gun deaths in 2020 alone in the same age group, 2811 of which were homicides. For under 40, the official covid death count (again over the entirety of the pandemic) is 25710, compared to 24531 for gun deaths in the same age group in 2020 alone. It’s definitely tough to compare the statistics accurately due to differences in how theyre tracked and how accurate the numbers are, but it’s really not even that close.

life expectancy <60 years by 2030 with more NYT's "connect all the dots except the last" gaping hot takes

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Palladium posted:

life expectancy <60 years by 2030 with more NYT's "connect all the dots except the last" gaping hot takes

Breaking: The White House has released a statement encouraging would-be mass shooters to focus their efforts on retired Americans, saying “while we condemn all acts of mass murder, violent psychopaths should consider their patriotic duty to our fine American industries”

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Covid deaths are undercounted by 10-20%, so it's still correct to say that if you're under 40, you're more likely to be killed by a gun than by covid. Unlike cops, who are more likely to die of covid than by shooting.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

TheSlutPit posted:

It’s probably higher than 2x. In 2020 the CDC was estimating they were undercounting cases by a factor of 2.9x and that excess deaths were a clearer indicator of actual covid deaths. Now that we’ve stopped trying to get an accurate count on cases it’s reasonable to assume excess death is still a better indicator of actual covid deaths.

US Covid cases may be 30 times higher than reported
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/01/us-covid-surge-cases-rate

Preliminary data shows a higher death rate and an increase in excess deaths in 2021
https://usafacts.org/articles/covid-excess-deaths-causes-2021/

If I have to choose ideally I would never die but if I have to die I want to die of euphoria at an old age but if I have to choose gunshot or covid its going to depend on context.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

blaming the teacher didn't work so they're going to try blaming the 911 operator who had to listen to children dying

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
No way to know that the gunman in the school was causing problems without access to those 911 calls

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JulianGi11/status/1532451964457566210?s=20&t=Z0Y2b4gvqfTfLJ378krWdg

the bikers were threatening to arrest that reporter for assault. I'm fine with motorcycle weirdos harassing the press with police permission, but saying you're an EMT and bumping into you is a felony should be a capital offense.

quote:

By J. David Goodman
June 1, 2022
UVALDE, Texas — In the final moments of her life, Eva Mireles, a teacher at Robb Elementary School, was on the phone with her husband, Ruben Ruiz, a school district police officer, the senior county official said on Wednesday.

They spoke for the last time from opposite sides of the school walls: She was with her fourth-grade students in a pair of adjoining classrooms taken over by a gunman; he was outside the school, amid the fast-growing throng of armed officers who rushed to the scene.

“She’s in the classroom and he’s outside. It’s terrifying,” the Uvalde County judge, Bill Mitchell, said on Wednesday after being briefed by sheriff’s deputies who were at the shooting that left 19 students and two teachers dead.

The call was among several new details that have added to — and, in some cases, significantly altered — the shifting portrait of the shooting in Uvalde that has been offered by top officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott and the head of the state police, Steven McCraw.
Mr. McCraw’s agency, the Texas Department of Public Safety, oversees both the state police and the Texas Rangers, and it had been leading the investigation into the shooting and the response by the police until the Justice Department stepped in with its own review.

On Wednesday, a spokesman for the state police, Travis Considine, referred questions to the local district attorney’s office and said that going forward the department would not be providing updates on the investigation. The district attorney, Christina M. Busbee, did not respond to requests for an interview.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/01/us/uvalde-shooting.html?smid=tw-share

The New York Times says a cop at the scene was talking to his wife inside the classroom when it was going down. Also the DA is is now handling all inquiries and she is avoiding the press.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1532361200805232640?s=20&t=Z0Y2b4gvqfTfLJ378krWdg

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So it was actually a hostage situation? What the gently caress was going on

Next thing we know uvalde is going to say no one was dead until the border patrol went in

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol just amazing amounts of cover up.

Can't say I'm bothered about the graveyard one though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mastershakeman posted:

Next thing we know uvalde is going to say no one was dead until the border patrol went in

we’re gonna find out the 18 year old was a cop

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mastershakeman posted:

It is astounding how murky this has been. It could be weeks before we have a clear picture.

This story is just going to keep getting weirder. This is going to end with the slain kids all appearing alive in Jarden, TX and it will be a miracle.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

We're never gonna get a clear picture, they're spending as much effort as possible to muddy the waters

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

did they ever find out what was behind the 2020 attacks in nova scotia where the guy got like tons of cash out of a brinks and then pretended to be a cop and killed a bunch of people and the mounties covered it up? that one was wild

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

what i mean i guess is that if the dang canadians could cover up that successfully the americans should have no trouble with this one

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mia Wasikowska posted:

did they ever find out what was behind the 2020 attacks in nova scotia where the guy got like tons of cash out of a brinks and then pretended to be a cop and killed a bunch of people and the mounties covered it up? that one was wild

you've got it. he was an informant for the police and the operation went sideways. or not?????

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

look we know u just wanted to teach but heres 40k a year and a Glock 19 to likely kill one of your students in the future

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'm ok with it

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/cartoonlka/status/1532597778345598978

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Google Butt posted:

look we know u just wanted to teach but heres 40k a year and a Glock 19 to likely kill one of your students in the future

Also if a student steals said Glock and shoots someone you will be charged with felony murder

Giving teachers guns, even if that eliminated all mass shooting deaths, would still probably get more kids killed by filling schools with guns

And in return it wouldn't even eliminate any mass shooting deaths

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I saw someone pointing out last night that more and more shootings are being reported on as "mass shootings" even though they don't really qualify under the standard definition so that they can muddy the statistics that mass shooters are overwhelmingly white.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
giving guns to one of the most repressive occupations is a good idea

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mia Wasikowska posted:

Recently they allowed the two lead RCMP officers to not be cross examined by the families lawyers and just give their statements via recorded streams and said they'd take questions at another time.

Evidence also came out that the RCMP warned family members and friends that there was a gunman on the loose before alerting the public.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Retromancer posted:

I saw someone pointing out last night that more and more shootings are being reported on as "mass shootings" even though they don't really qualify under the standard definition so that they can muddy the statistics that mass shooters are overwhelmingly white.

“how do we roll all black homicides into theses statistics so everyone blames the right people” - neo nazis in every level of govt

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Retromancer posted:

dont school shooters roughly reflect the overall male demographics, so since there's more white males than other races there's more white shooters

just looked and of the top 10 school shooters in usa history only 4 were done by white men - lanza at #2, whitman at #4, harris+klebold at #6, Pagourtzis at #7.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Google Butt posted:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Isn’t the strongest correlation just being a dude. Like there’s…zero or close to zero? Mass shootings by women

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Isn’t the strongest correlation just being a dude. Like there’s…zero or close to zero? Mass shootings by women

MORE *CLAP* WOMEN *CLAP* MASS *CLAP* SHOOTERS

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That and prior history of domestic violence

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

From wikipedia:

quote:

Gun Violence Archive, frequently cited by the press, defines a mass shooting as firearm violence resulting in at least four people being shot at roughly the same time and location, excluding the perpetrator.

I think that is how most press outlets define "mass shooting," especially in the weeks after a particularly bad massacre means gun violence is getting more attention. Lots of mass shootings by this definition are because the shooter is reckless about their attempted murder of one or two people, rather than purposely trying to maximize casualties.

People do think of instances where the shooter intentionally wants to harm the maximum number of people differently, but that doesn't really have a name. Like, was Uvalde a terrorist attack? The killer didn't have a manifesto.

The US is a cool place. Where else are these distinctions relevant.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
How long until we have a mass shooting at a mass shooting? Like... Duels of the Gunwalkers.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tiberion02 posted:

How long until we have a mass shooting at a mass shooting? Like... Duels of the Gunwalkers.

depending on the number of Uvalde 4th graders killed by cops, it may technically have already happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

From wikipedia:

I think that is how most press outlets define "mass shooting," especially in the weeks after a particularly bad massacre means gun violence is getting more attention. Lots of mass shootings by this definition are because the shooter is reckless about their attempted murder of one or two people, rather than purposely trying to maximize casualties.

People do think of instances where the shooter intentionally wants to harm the maximum number of people differently, but that doesn't really have a name. Like, was Uvalde a terrorist attack? The killer didn't have a manifesto.

The US is a cool place. Where else are these distinctions relevant.

We should just bump the number up. Presto, mass shooting crisis over