Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

MetaphorDemocratRepublican.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Tempora Mutantur posted:

the only legitimately sad/kind of funny point about make believe heavenbanning is that it only works against totally alienated individuals insofar as people who care enough to post so much they trigger it, but they have no actual friends they post with to know that they're in the hugbox

that and as mentioned how if that actually happened it would just be to streamline FBI efforts to get people with untreated mental illness to commit acts of stochastic terrorism for added TLA funding

e: vvv also that very obvious point, guy who is definitely not my alt account

computerized gaslighting 2.0

this is going to make a lot of targeted individuals/gangstalking people worse off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Hey man, what’s with the gun?”

“Hunting police drones.”

“Understandable. Have a nice day.”

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/501604968067760148/981932745393573948/cyber2_Full_HD_1080p_MEDIUM_FR60.mp4

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

computerized gaslighting 2.0

this is going to make a lot of targeted individuals/gangstalking people worse off

I do like the idea of random posts appearing which amount to desperate screaming into the blank white void, but which everyone else sees as unhinged internet terrorism

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

On the plus side the robot cops will actually go in where the children are dying. Whether they will do any good is still up in the air, but the won't sit outside pissing themselves.

So were just going to not program the drones to wait outside and piss themselves with fear?

Lame.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat posted:

So were just going to not program the drones to wait outside and piss themselves with fear?

Lame.

They will absolutely program them to do domestic violence, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Lame.

Nah they'll storm inside and shoot all the black kids. Only now it can be blamed on The Algorithm.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/birnbaum_e/status/1532808973937688577?s=20&t=-7-czN4bcZ0ZwcqUCPzlSg

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

https://i.imgur.com/sKwDJrK.mp4

sound on

tokin opposition has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Jun 4, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jesus christ.

Not sure I've ever seen cyberpunk used as a way to highlight the American conservative "back in the good ol' days" mentality, but it suddenly makes a whole lot of sense.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That ad has been running for a few years.

There just aren't as many fire dragons around to fight with a sword in dress whites anymore.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

feedmyleg posted:

Jesus christ.

Not sure I've ever seen cyberpunk used as a way to highlight the American conservative "back in the good ol' days" mentality, but it suddenly makes a whole lot of sense.

Why do you think cyberpunk is so full of scary Japanese megacorps?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That ad has been running for a few years.

There just aren't as many fire dragons around to fight with a sword in dress whites anymore.

It was more of an elemental I'd say

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

it was his inner demon

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Sure, but the cyberpunk fiction I've read has all seemingly come from a leftist perspective criticizing how progress is made, not that progress is made.

That ad conjures up in my mind cyberpunk fiction coming from the right that pushes for a regression to societal heteronormativity and pushing for the value of the nuclear family and points a finger at race mixing and science-based education for how this nightmare world came about. Pro-fascist cyber"punk" fiction that is cool with deregulated megacorps as long as they can still own a truck that runs on leaded gasoline and their kids go to a public school that teaches the bible.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, Yellow Peril stuff is pretty baked into Western cyberpunk. It was pretty seamless for them to switch out "Japanese" for "Chinese" in recent years. It's interesting that it's not something that scans quite as well to most 21st century readers, in the 80s "Japanese" was automatically menacing while today it's read more as "cool" and that can gently caress with the intended reading.

feedmyleg posted:

The cyberpunk fiction I've read has all seemingly come from a leftist perspective criticizing how progress is made, not that progress is made.

That ad conjures up in my mind cyberpunk fiction coming from the right that pushes for a regression to societal heteronormativity and pushing for the value of the nuclear family and points a finger at race mixing and science-based education for how this nightmare world came about. Pro-fascist cyber"punk" fiction that is cool with deregulated megacorps as long as they can still own a truck that runs on leaded gasoline and their kids go to a public school that teaches the bible.

That's generally the way it goes, hence the "punk" part. But that's also not contradictory with xenophobia, misogyny, an other reactionary trends. And of course one of the most interesting things about what this thread is about and for that matter the 21st century experience is that because cyberpunk is so associated with the 80s, the content of its critique has become less visible than its nostalgic aesthetics. That's why elements of cyberpunk fiction just serve as straightforward inspiration for modern corporate excess, that this thread goes "that's horrible" and a non trivial number of the weirdest guys on twitter all go "that's so cool."

IDK I think it's interesting that any cultural movement can be put in a big ol tumbler and battered about and broken up and then get sifted through for semi-functional parts that get reused in ways that seem terrifying if you treated the original as divine.

Tulip has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Jun 4, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

Yeah, Yellow Peril stuff is pretty baked into Western cyberpunk. It was pretty seamless for them to switch out "Japanese" for "Chinese" in recent years. It's interesting that it's not something that scans quite as well to most 21st century readers, in the 80s "Japanese" was automatically menacing while today it's read more as "cool" and that can gently caress with the intended reading.

Yeah but 80s anime also had bad rear end mega corps and I don't think the Japanese were making their animes to menace western audiences

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

If Cyberpunk had been invented in the 70s it would have been disco dominating world culture. They took all the trends and drew them out in perfectly straight lines. They were lucky that this happened to fit technological progress if nothing else.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

feedmyleg posted:

Sure, but the cyberpunk fiction I've read has all seemingly come from a leftist perspective criticizing how progress is made, not that progress is made.

If you take a leftist perspective on accurately portraying racism, the portrayal is still accurate. If you read the politoons thread, you'd know this as reverse AGC.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but 80s anime also had bad rear end mega corps and I don't think the Japanese were making their animes to menace western audiences

Yeah Japanese cyberpunk is pretty different. Also sometimes Western cyberpunk had western megacorps. I don't think the two elements are like fundamentally linked, just fairly common in Western cyberpunk to basically go "Oh no the future is under threat because [Toyota] is going to displace [Ford]"

Basically I'm thinking about that scene from King of the Hill where Hank is feverishly repairing an American TV and Bobby says "why not just get a Japanese TV" and Hank reacts with utter horror. Most of us today are Bobby.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tulip posted:

Yeah Japanese cyberpunk is pretty different. Also sometimes Western cyberpunk had western megacorps. I don't think the two elements are like fundamentally linked, just fairly common in Western cyberpunk to basically go "Oh no the future is under threat because [Toyota] is going to displace [Ford]"

Basically I'm thinking about that scene from King of the Hill where Hank is feverishly repairing an American TV and Bobby says "why not just get a Japanese TV" and Hank reacts with utter horror. Most of us today are Bobby.

doesn't help that a lot of cyberpunk just mindlessly copies stuff and "everywhere is covered with neon signs in some language you can't read" is a common texture for aesthetic coolness, and sometimes thematically to capture the late-capitalism alienation of living in a strange world where nothing makes sense and wherever you go there's no place to feel like you really belong

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A lot of Gibson's work involves non-Japanese megacorps too, and they're functionally the same.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1532802352427810818

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1533106970630270982?s=20&t=1f44Mbd7dTEinyQk6E3KlQ

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

löl

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

some hacker just really wants to be left holding the bag i guess

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLWbrOircQ

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

a7m2 posted:

A lot of Gibson's work involves non-Japanese megacorps too, and they're functionally the same.

Sort of? I mean, look at Snow Crash for example by Stephenson. It has the megacorps angle, really in some was the megacorps angle, and a lot of what it's doing with its meditations on global politics is Yellow Peril stuff, 1980s style (as opposed to 1880s style). And I wouldn't say that mingling your anticapitalist critique with Yellow Peril xenophobia is actually the same as anticapitalist critique that doesn't use Yellow Peril xenophobia. These accomplish different literary and political goals, even if they overlap considerably.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
diamond age is probably the better example of weirdass Orientalism in science fiction

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tulip posted:

Sort of? I mean, look at Snow Crash for example by Stephenson. It has the megacorps angle, really in some was the megacorps angle, and a lot of what it's doing with its meditations on global politics is Yellow Peril stuff, 1980s style (as opposed to 1880s style). And I wouldn't say that mingling your anticapitalist critique with Yellow Peril xenophobia is actually the same as anticapitalist critique that doesn't use Yellow Peril xenophobia. These accomplish different literary and political goals, even if they overlap considerably.

I don't remember much about asian megacorps in snowcrash other than mr lee was allied with enzo against the megapreacher/murdoch analogue

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't remember much about asian megacorps in snowcrash other than mr lee was allied with enzo against the megapreacher/murdoch analogue

there was the whole thing about refugees being treated as basically subhuman (par for america i guess) and the fact the plot turned them into a literal plague

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

snow crash holds up incredibly well because its satire is targeted at suburban america imo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://www.rtx.com/news/2022/05/17/for-raytheon-technologies-lgbtqia-inclusion-means-freedom-to-be-yourself

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

at raytheon, you can be a missile, mrisle, or anything in between 💕❤️😘

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Farm Frenzy posted:

snow crash holds up incredibly well because its satire is targeted at suburban america imo

its easily a top 5 book for me because it doesn't take itself seriously either

a lot of miserable fuckers want cyberpunk to be edgy and scary, snowcrash's version really shows the absurd and alienating nature of consumerism and it does this incredibly well with the burbclaves

this is because america hasn't loving changed and it will still be more relevant than ever because we already have burbclaves in a loose sense such as The Villages~ :razz:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not even Stephensonn could have predicted HOAs

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://twitter.com/malonebarry/status/1533451042070876161

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love our computer gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Jesus how gaudy and tasteless can you be. This is raising small-r republicanism in me like nothing else