Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chompwad
Sep 3, 2002

>[
Can anyone comment on what "This assignment is a X month period to Y year non-reimbursable assignment." competitive is like for currently excepted/competitive employees?

This is just a contract then.. ? And I'd have to leave my current federal position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Max Peck posted:

I've gotten 60 61 emails saying my mobile phone number was added, changed, or removed since going through the new account process

Would it kill them to use login.gov?

Seriously. How TF do you re-make a website in 2022 and not integrate it with login.gov.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Chompwad posted:

Can anyone comment on what "This assignment is a X month period to Y year non-reimbursable assignment." competitive is like for currently excepted/competitive employees?

This is just a contract then.. ? And I'd have to leave my current federal position?

Uh would have to see the posting in question, but the last one I did that sounded similar, you just got paid at your current grade/step for however many months the temp assignment was. No break in service or anything like that.

El Mero Mero posted:

Seriously. How TF do you re-make a website in 2022 and not integrate it with login.gov.

Just wait for the next version of eqip...

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What's the deal with the new mutual fund options? Is this something worth pursuing over the lifecycle funds? All i saw is that the new options carry higher fees

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Thesaurus posted:

What's the deal with the new mutual fund options? Is this something worth pursuing over the lifecycle funds? All i saw is that the new options carry higher fees

It feels like it would be... difficult just to overcome that $150 annual fee, when you definitionally have access to the regular TSP options.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

EmployeeExpress even switched to login.gov. I'm gonna blame OPM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

The fees are beyond ridiculous. If you want to invest in mutual funds, get an IRA with a brokerage.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Endless Mike posted:

The fees are beyond ridiculous. If you want to invest in mutual funds, get an IRA with a brokerage.

My understanding is TSP doesn't want the rest of the account holders paying for those who went into mutual funds. Fine by me.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://twitter.com/tsp4gov/status/1532105146007789568

The comments are just wild

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
IDK if it's just the new site or if I've been feeding it something odd but I can't get anything other than this after going through the last step of choosing a username and password.

Site just goes totally blank. Guess I'll just keep trying it and maybe eventually something works!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It seems bizarre to me that they seem to have remade the entire site including the backend feathers like user authentication. Guessing the contractor oversold and over promised TSP leadership.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lol

https://twitter.com/chris_kuang/status/1526559844974616579

The irony of having a big, backslapping event about providing great digital services while internally everyone's pension and investment portal is FUBAR is delicious

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 3, 2022

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Apparently a big VIP, unnamed for security reasons, is visiting my lab in a couple weeks. Probably secretary Haaland or maybe a senator or something? My boss tells me this is an opportunity that only comes once or twice in a career, and that I should have my research summary practiced and ready and dress nice and look busy the whole time they're here, but also nothing matters and this world is a fart so instead of impressing them I'm soliciting ideas for the most embarrassing poo poo I could possibly do. Please advise.

how ticklish do you think secret service people are? I bet I could get them to giggle

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is fascinating, it must be quite the thing to work somewhere small enough that a secretary visiting means you might meet her/him rather than in my case where it means you might later be able to piece together how many aisles away the secretary once briefly walked

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

treat posted:

Apparently a big VIP, unnamed for security reasons, is visiting my lab in a couple weeks. Probably secretary Haaland or maybe a senator or something? My boss tells me this is an opportunity that only comes once or twice in a career, and that I should have my research summary practiced and ready and dress nice and look busy the whole time they're here, but also nothing matters and this world is a fart so instead of impressing them I'm soliciting ideas for the most embarrassing poo poo I could possibly do. Please advise.

how ticklish do you think secret service people are? I bet I could get them to giggle

Give Biden noogies until he agrees to $50k of student debt relief

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Eat a lot of chili the night before and ask the VIP to pull your finger and you can fart really loud and they'll laugh and you'll laugh and your career will be made!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

treat posted:

Having been personally manhandled by the President's detail years ago during a training exercise, seriously don't mess with those guys. But if you can tee up a good one liner with really dry delivery and get a chuckle out of the principal it's a good way to get noticed by seniors in your organization and that can pay off in unexpected ways later in your career.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

treat posted:

What's your area of research? What equipment do you have on hand?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Regarding VIP visits, they won't remember you if you're funny or interesting or boring. They'll maybe remember you if you're doing a personal briefing on something significant routinely. But everyone will remember you if you do something embarrassing. Just be professional and pleasant.

This year, I've briefed 2 secretaries, 1 assistant secretary and a congresswoman. I have a second briefing with the same secretary next week. I may be hosting a 7 person CODEL delegation tour at my office next week too. It's the staff who you need to work best with so they know to call you if their principal needs something. Of course, address the principal, but make sure the staff gets info as well.

And nope, I am nowhere near being a Hill or department liaison. Just a supervisor in an agency field office, not even the person in charge of the office. :shepicide:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Ali Mayorkas and John Kelly have both been through here. I don't think they had their big jobs at the time. There are only 5 facilities that do what we do in the country, so odds are good our agency director will pull through here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Elaine Chao came to our Christmas party one year.

I was not exactly happy with that!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

What's your area of research? What equipment do you have on hand?

rangeland ecology & wildfire restoration. We've got some augers and chainsaws, a ton of rusty barbed wire, and a little electric tuk tuk for moving things around the back lot that tops out at 4mph. I bet I could find a way to drive that thing all the way through the lab to my desk while only destroying maybe 3 doorways and scraping up all the walls, then complain about how poor the wheelchair accessibility is.

but I think I've settled on spending the whole day following the agency director around and repeatedly interrupting conversations with admin & senior researchers to show him all the funny internet videos I've saved on my work laptop, then throwing a childlike tantrum whenever anyone gets mad at me.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

treat posted:

rangeland ecology & wildfire restoration. We've got some augers and chainsaws, a ton of rusty barbed wire

I’m sure the VIP would be really interested in a display board with different examples of barbed wire, the years of production, the difference in manufacturing methods, effectiveness, history of the range wars, etc.

I joke but I’d be interested in that. My grandma had a barbed wire collection and it was pretty neat.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Joburg posted:

I’m sure the VIP would be really interested in a display board with different examples of barbed wire, the years of production, the difference in manufacturing methods, effectiveness, history of the range wars, etc.

I joke but I’d be interested in that. My grandma had a barbed wire collection and it was pretty neat.

My friend, RUN, don't walk, to the Devil's Rope Museum on Route 66 in McClean Texas! https://barbwiremuseum.com/

Or, to quote their website, "If you happen to find yourself in the Texas Panhandle, be sure to stop and visit!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

treat posted:

rangeland ecology & wildfire restoration. We've got some augers and chainsaws, a ton of rusty barbed wire, and a little electric tuk tuk for moving things around the back lot that tops out at 4mph. I bet I could find a way to drive that thing all the way through the lab to my desk while only destroying maybe 3 doorways and scraping up all the walls, then complain about how poor the wheelchair accessibility is.

but I think I've settled on spending the whole day following the agency director around and repeatedly interrupting conversations with admin & senior researchers to show him all the funny internet videos I've saved on my work laptop, then throwing a childlike tantrum whenever anyone gets mad at me.

You should just follow them around on the tuk tuk.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just sort of skimmed this page so I am looking forward to this barbed wire tuk-tuk deathmatch you are having with Secretary Mayorkas or whatever

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

treat posted:

I just want to say your job sounds cool as hell, and further makes me wish I could go back in time and focus on something even tangentially related to the outdoors (where I spend my weekends anyway). I'm sure I'm overly romanticizing it, but you're closer to touching trees and grass than I ever am doing tax nerd poo poo.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

incogneato posted:

I just want to say your job sounds cool as hell, and further makes me wish I could go back in time and focus on something even tangentially related to the outdoors (where I spend my weekends anyway). I'm sure I'm overly romanticizing it, but you're closer to touching trees and grass than I ever am doing tax nerd poo poo.

90% standing around in bad weather in semi-developed areas, rural enough to have nothing around but not rural enough to be able to poop in the woods. That’s what it’s like in New England anyway

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Leon Sumbitches posted:

My friend, RUN, don't walk, to the Devil's Rope Museum on Route 66 in McClean Texas! https://barbwiremuseum.com/

Or, to quote their website, "If you happen to find yourself in the Texas Panhandle, be sure to stop and visit!"

That’s fantastic! I know what I’m doing this summer!

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
so this is included in the mutual fund options ...tsp is doing what the gov is going after 401ks for. Crypto in retirement accounts.

DOL warning about this breaching fiduciary trust:
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/employers-and-advisers/plan-administration-and-compliance/compliance-assistance-releases/2022-01

Terror Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 4, 2022

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I think I’m good with the 2040 fund

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I was happy when I heard I could move my contributions to an ESG fund, but then I read the cost and stipulations, and I'm back to keeping it mostly in C funds. Some day.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Getting close to wishing investment in cryptocurrency were a capital crime

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Terror Ninja posted:

so this is included in the mutual fund options ...tsp is doing what the gov is going after 401ks for. Crypto in retirement accounts.

DOL warning about this breaching fiduciary trust:
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/employers-and-advisers/plan-administration-and-compliance/compliance-assistance-releases/2022-01

That is absolutely insane.

Also, holy gently caress how did that fund get 5 star sustainability ranking

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Regarding VIP visits, they won't remember you if you're funny or interesting or boring. They'll maybe remember you if you're doing a personal briefing on something significant routinely. But everyone will remember you if you do something embarrassing. Just be professional and pleasant.

Absolutely. We had Linda McMahon come out during the last administration and have 2 hour meeting with all of the staff in our office soliciting feedback. It was quite surprising how much time she dedicated to getting to know people, but there was a guy in our office who went nuts in that meeting talking about corrupt hiring practices within the agency and making a bunch of pretty wild accusations based on conspiracy theories he'd been reading online.

The one exception is if you're acting as tour-guide, in that case it's your job to line up entertaining things. (we took Linda McMahon skydiving at a small business we supported)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I heard some interesting stories about Linda McMahon that fairly well confirm she had to be about the least-awful appointee between 2017 and 2020. Probably helps that she had actual knowledge of the mission of the agency she was appointed to lead.

For 2016 Election Remix we should appoint her to lead the Navy instead

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

incogneato posted:

Field work itself is 90% a "flintstones pterodactyl licking stamps endlessly then mugging the camera to say 'it's a living!'" level monotonous, and though being in nature and the fun big boy toys are great, it's more of a little bonus or a nice distraction from the routine than the highlight of the job. The real perk is the autonomy. Being granted the trust and respect to design experiments on the fly and make scientific & logistical judgement calls without any sort of supervision or vetting can be stressful but it lends a huge feeling of ownership and commitment to the projects that I design and manage while making me feel valued and capable even when imposter syndrome is flaring up. My direct supervisor and the only person I would call my "boss" is essentially just an advisor who reviews and critiques my papers and gives me tips on where to find funding, so as far as I'm concerned his entire job is to help me bring research to a publishable state and give guidance wherever I feel like I need it. Every job should be this way, and I believe most people would really defy the limits of what others think they're even capable of if given the opportunity to run their own show and take charge over something challenging, regardless of whether they even like the work or not. Seize the means of labor value and all the stuff like that.

So yeah, it is a cool job, but it also sort of has to be when paychecks come around because woof. People definitely don't do this for the money.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dr. Quarex posted:

I heard some interesting stories about Linda McMahon that fairly well confirm she had to be about the least-awful appointee between 2017 and 2020. Probably helps that she had actual knowledge of the mission of the agency she was appointed to lead.

For 2016 Election Remix we should appoint her to lead the Navy instead

Yeah, I really felt like we dodged a bullet what with what was going on everywhere else at that time.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So my agency opened applications for remote work reclassification.

And then blanket denied 100% of the applications and sent out an email saying they'd determined nobody was eligible.

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Just out of curiosity, is having an extension on your taxes a red flag/disqualifier for applications with the IRS?