Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - I haven't heard much about this foe. 2/9/22

I don't know anything about SpaceGodzilla either so I look forward to hearing about it.

I watched Bullitt and was pleasantly surprised by how much style it had outside of just McQueen himself. In pop culture you mostly just see clips of the iconic car chase, which is obviously a great scene. But I enjoyed how well the cinematography showed off the setting and it becomes one of those movies where the setting is almost a character in itself. San Francisco is certainly a unique place and Bullitt has that transportive quality I love in film where you really do feel like you were taken on a trip to a specific time and place that you'd never have a chance to visit otherwise.

I will say that McQueen isn't really my cup of tea the way he is for some people. I don't have any particular dislike for him, he's fine, but I don't necessarily feel the charisma I'd expect from a guy who is often held up as some sort of icon of masculinity. That being said, he's still very good in Bullitt and overall the film was extremely entertaining.

Current List

1. Singin in the Rain: I've always avoided musicals but recently that's changed and I've been enjoying them. Not all of them, but I'm willing to roll the dice.
2. Bonnie and Clyde: One of those movies where I've seen the iconic ending but never actually sat down to watch the whole thing. It won a bunch of awards though so I guess I should.
3. Watership Down: I've often heard this one come up in discussions of some of the greatest animated films of all time
4. A Streetcar Named Desire: This is a big iconic Brando performance that I haven't seen.
5. Oliver Twist: David Lean is one of my favorite directors so I'd like to fill in the gaps I have left with his filmography.
6. Bullitt: I actually haven't seen much McQueen and this is obviously a big one
7. For All Mankind: I want to check this out because there's a Criterion UHD release so if I like it I may want the UHD
8. The River: I love India as a setting for film and I've read a lot of good things about this one.
9. Mon Oncle I loved Playtime but for whatever reason it's the only Tati I ever saw, not sure why I haven't followed up on that
10. Castle in the Sky: More Miyazaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Basebf555 posted:

1. Singin in the Rain: I've always avoided musicals but recently that's changed and I've been enjoying them. Not all of them, but I'm willing to roll the dice.

I was bouncing between this and Watership Down and I think there should be a little more joy in the world before tackling bleak rabbits so enjoy this!

Solaris (1972) - A man is sent to a space station orbiting a (possibly) living planet to figure out why the remaining crew are going crazy. This was a great movie - surprisingly not quite the slow burn I was expecting, but not that quick either. It ruminates on identity and perhaps moreso on how people (and planets?) relate - I like another review I read afterwards that talked about how it asks how well can you truly know someone - I felt that in spades.

My Shameful List:
Stalker (1979) (classic scifi) - Keeping the Tarkovsky train rolling - another classic that I haven’t seen
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I have never seen, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (neonoir) - A newish classic, shows up on a lot of lists, feel like maybe I should see it, at least the first one?
Breathless - It always seemed like I would find it boring so I avoided it forever. That should change!
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Crimes And Misdemeanors - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them - and I changed this from Manhattan based on this thread’s discussion
Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more bergman

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

smitster posted:

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (neonoir) - A newish classic, shows up on a lot of lists, feel like maybe I should see it, at least the first one?

I was tempted to give you Stalker but maybe it's better to let Solaris percolate for a little while and you can watch Stalker later. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a great thriller, hard to imagine someone not being hooked by it's mystery, although fair warning it does have some graphic scenes involving sexual assault.

The timing couldn't have been better for the Singin in the Rain selection, because I recently bought it on UHD. I don't blind-buy a ton of stuff but classic Technicolor on UHD is always an exception. Well this blind-buy definitely worked out because I loved the movie! It was actually a more engaging and even sometimes emotional story than I was expecting, it's far from just song and dance numbers stitched together with a token plot. The characters are very well written and memorable, and of course when it does get into the song and dance stuff it's some of the most impressive I've ever seen.

I really would recommend picking this up on UHD though, if you're into that. The use of color in the film is eye-popping, which was clearly intentional. They really went out of their way to use bright, vivid colors wherever possible.

Current List

2. Bonnie and Clyde: One of those movies where I've seen the iconic ending but never actually sat down to watch the whole thing. It won a bunch of awards though so I guess I should.
3. Watership Down: I've often heard this one come up in discussions of some of the greatest animated films of all time
4. A Streetcar Named Desire: This is a big iconic Brando performance that I haven't seen.
5. Oliver Twist: David Lean is one of my favorite directors so I'd like to fill in the gaps I have left with his filmography.
6. Bullitt: I actually haven't seen much McQueen and this is obviously a big one
7. For All Mankind: I want to check this out because there's a Criterion UHD release so if I like it I may want the UHD
8. The River: I love India as a setting for film and I've read a lot of good things about this one.
9. Mon Oncle I loved Playtime but for whatever reason it's the only Tati I ever saw, not sure why I haven't followed up on that

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

"We rob banks."

Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - This one goes back to Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) in some respects. Psychics with telepathic and telekinetic abilities are back. And most of the little characters are once again debating whether Godzilla should be controlled or killed. One in particular has a vendetta against Godzilla.

But suddenly a large and menacing clone of Godzilla appears in space. It could be called Crystal Godzilla based on its appearance. Supposedly it grew from cells that were transported into space by Mothra or Biollante. Nearly adjacent to spontaneous generation if you ask me. So Godzilla must once again save the planet.

PS MOGERA is kind of junky robot even after being rebuilt.

James Bond versus Godzilla (44/64 completed):

Hesitation (99 completed):

#73 Bug (1975) - A horror film that may or may not be good. 8/12/21

#93 The Naked City - Another Jules Dassin film I haven't watched. 1/23/22

#99 Dirty Pretty Things - Some say it's an essential film. 3/1/22

#100 My Life to Live - I believe this is the last major Godard film I haven't seen. 3/1/22

#103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

#105 Scarlet Street - A Fritz Lang film with a good reputation. 4/4/22

#106 The Roaring Twenties - Another one of those James Cagney gangster films I haven't seen. 4/13/22

#107 The Woman in the Window (1944) - Some say this is the best noir of all-time. :eyepop: 4/13/22

#108 Cabiria - This old epic was supposed to get a restored Blu-ray release many years ago but it never happened. I guess I'll just watch the available version. 4/23/22

new #109 Little Caesar - Not the greatest pizza company. 5/2/22

Time Out's 100 Best Movies of All Time (98/100 completed):

#54 The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - I haven't seen a Fassbinder film lately. 4/23/22

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The Tree of Wooden Clogs

This might be the best film about spirituality and faith that I've ever seen. I can see why Mike Leigh holds in such high regard - much like in his own movies, the characters here are drawn with clear strokes, and then are set free to develop, slowly changing through repetition and variation. It's a bit daunting to approach as a movie, being over three hours, with limited dialogue and subdued cinematography, but the observation of the people is what fills the time. We get a wonderful sense of their community, their beliefs, and their personalities, and it never feels dour or trudging. Small moments, like the illness of a cow, take on mammoth dramatic proportions because we've spent so much time becoming intimately familiar with these people and how such small things can make or break them.

The soundtrack works in a similar way, and contributes to the theme of faith. There is, from what I recall, only one real nondiagetic musical element, which is a series of Bach organ pieces. They are, like the lives of the characters, austere, and it's also fitting that this kind of music is likely the only kind of music, besides their own singing (of which they do some), that they would hear regularly. It floats over the flat landscapes and the ragged interiors, often just a solitary note followed by two or three in somber harmony, but, as is typical of Bach, these spare harmonies sound like echoes from heaven, an earthly reflection of a kind of purity that we can't comprehend, and as such, are laid over with a gentle melancholy. There is very little to be faithful for, the music seems to suggest, but what there is is absolutely essential.

There is also a repeated touching on the human connection element of spirituality. The building all the characters live in is owned by a rich landlord who exploits their poverty, and this comes into play in various ways, including the title of the film - a child's clog breaks, and the father, in need to good carving wood, is forced to chop down and steal one of the landlord's trees. These things are woven into the film's spare tapestry, and in a worse film could come across as cheaply anecdotal or even flismy proselytism, but because it works on such a small (and long) scale, the points come across organically. We come to really, deeply understand the sense of community between these people, and how this network of giving, and forgiving, is what, on the most basic level, keeps things going.

A note on the restoration used by Criterion: it loving sucks! I've seen many lousy Ritrovata restorations (particularly The Color of Pomegranates), but this has to be the most appalling so far. There are almost no scenes that look remotely passable - at best, they do a decent job of capturing the dewy freshness of a morning, or the yellow, dusty heat of midday, but elsewhere scenes are crushed with weird, muddy shadows and pukey teal highlights. The scenes in the church are some of the worst offenders. Apparently there's an alternate restoration that's much better, and I would absolutely suggest seeking it out if you intend to watch this.

11/10

shamezone

1) Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - doll movie
2) The Blue Angel - Dietrich movie
3) Daughters of the Dust - movie i want to see movie
4) The Deer Hunter - wedding movie
5) The Sixth Sense - ghosts!!
6) The Times of Harvey Milk - milk movie
7) The Long Good Friday - hoskins movie
8) Nomadland - recent movie
9) Alexander Nevsky - ice movie
10) A League Of Their Own - baseball movie

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10, The Rite 5/10, The Piano Teacher 10/10, Ashes and Diamonds 7/10, Meantime 9/10, Carnival of Souls 8/10, La Notte 10/10, Frances Ha 10/10, L'avventura, Again 10/10, A Room With a View 9/10, Laura 8/10, Marjorie Prime 10/10, Ex Machina 8/10, Tampopo 10/10, Pickpocket 4/10, Harlan County USA 10/10, The Spirit of the Beehive 10/10, Heaven's Gate 4/10, A Short Film About Killing 9/10, The Pillow Book 6/10, Desert Hearts 9/10, Alice in the Cities 10/10, Yi Yi 10/10, Rififi 9/10, Children of Paradise 10/10, A Poem is a Naked Person 8/10, Late Autumn 8/10, Chimes at Midnight 10/10 Watership Down 9/10, Ugetsu 9/10, Veronika Voss 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 7/10, Close-Up 10/10, Journey to Italy 10/10, L'Eclisse 7/10, Andrei Rublev 11/10, Vagabond 9/10, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari 9/10, Shoplifters 10/10, Escape From New York 10/10, Die Hard 10/10, The Last Picture Show 9/10, Mr Smith Goes To Washington 8/10, Saturday Night Fever 9/10, First Blood 7/10, Mad Max 7/10, Come and See 10/10, Friday the 13th 7/10, Predator 5/10, Sicario 10/10, Grizzly Man 9/10, Cache 10/10, The Evil Dead 9/10, Tetsuo: The Iron Man 10/10, One Sings, The Other Doesn't 8/10, The Last House on the Left 10/10, Cries and Whispers 10/10, Salesman 10/10. The Tree of Wooden Clogs 11/10 (total: 187)

Zogo gets My Life To Live

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

5) The Sixth Sense - ghosts!!

"I'm feeling much better now."

My Life to Live - This one is broken up into twelve brisk segments. It's a clinical look at Nana (Anna Karina) and how relational and financial troubles lead her to a life of prostitution. The old determinism vs. free will debate plays a part as well.

Of all the segments I found one near the end offered the most. Nana meets an old man (Brice Parain) and he imparts some interesting philosophical tidbits upon her.

It's a Godard film so it's no surprise there are atypical camera choices and little bits of celluloid terrorism sprinkled around.

Also watched:

Dirty Pretty Things - This is one of those films about the plight of immigrants. Their discordant, unseen lives and just how dirty a world it can be out there. This time we're in London. A transactional world of womanizing organ brokers is slowly revealed. You want a passport to get into the US? That could cost you your virginity or perhaps a kidney.

Okwe (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is a harried character who's facing a few ethical dilemmas. I was reminded of the tragic circumstances found in 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) and Code Unknown (2000) at times. Some mysteries are never solved.

The Woman in the Window - A professor (Edward G. Robinson) drinks a little too much and makes a series of bad decisions after admiring a portrait in a display window. It's a straightforward but prototypical noir.

I had to laugh as the protagonist makes so many mistakes to ruin his potential alibis. And then the title character (Joan Bennett) makes further mistakes when trying to outwit the clever blackmailer. They're in over their heads. Kind of like the pair in True Romance (1993).

The ending felt watered-down with it all being a dream. Perhaps they had to relieve audiences considering the potent levels of tension.

Hesitation (102 completed):

#103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

#106 The Roaring Twenties - Another one of those James Cagney gangster films I haven't seen. 4/13/22

#108 Cabiria - This old epic was supposed to get a restored Blu-ray release many years ago but it never happened. I guess I'll just watch the available version. 4/23/22

#109 Little Caesar - Not the greatest pizza company. 5/2/22

new #110 The Great Silence - I recently watched a documentary with Tarantino talking about Sergio Corbucci films. I've only seen Django so there are many others to watch. 5/26/22

new #111 The Sure Thing - Rob Reiner directed this between This Is Spinal Tap and Stand by Me and it's supposedly good. 5/26/22

new #112 Pickup on South Street - An early Samuel Fuller film I need to see. 5/26/22

Time Out's 100 Best Movies of All Time (98/100 completed):

#54 The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - I haven't seen a Fassbinder film lately. 4/23/22

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

I remember liking this quite a bit, and EGR is almost always a good watch.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009) - An unflinching movie, no joke about the sexual assault warnings - the brutal rape was just that, brutal. It was at times harrowing, but during some of the investigative portions felt a little flat to me - the interactions with the Vanger family felt lifeless at times. I was watching with subs, maybe it was just not knowing Swedish. The lead performances were tight, though. The plot did its job of twisting and turning just enough to provide interest, but the pendulum of suspicion didn’t swing between enough of the family members often enough. But I also felt it was maybe a bit longer than it needed to be, and can’t really have it both ways. I liked it well enough that I’ll need to check out the rest of the Millenium trilogy, regardless.

My Shameful List:
Stalker (1979) (classic scifi) - Keeping the Tarkovsky train rolling - another classic that I haven’t seen
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I have never seen, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
The Bad Sleep Well (neonoir) - Crime, Thriller, Drama - close enough, and late enough maybe to get the neo- prefix. I’ve seen Kurosawa before, but not many that aren’t period pieces.
Breathless - It always seemed like I would find it boring so I avoided it forever. That should change!
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Crimes And Misdemeanors - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them - and I changed this from Manhattan based on this thread’s discussion
Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more bergman

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

smitster posted:

Not any more.

Finally watched Patton and, while I get why people like it and it's fine, it just wasn't for me. George C. Scott is fantastic in it and I found it somehow added to the satire of his performance in Dr. Strangelove (which I've been told Scott didn't know was a comedy). I'm not a huge fan of the take no prisoners, straight shooting, rebellious institutional leader who only needs all those regulations and procedures to get out of his way and allow him to kick rear end. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like and sympathize with him or think he's an rear end in a top hat. It's also way too long. I think you could easily lose 20 or 30 minutes and not sacrifice much.

Made in 1970, it also seems to be subtly suggesting that the reason we were losing in Vietnam was because we didn't have more Patton's, and that rubs me wrong. Glad I watched it but probably won't do it again.

I think I'm also burned out on war movies and probably picked too many of them, which reminds me that I also watched The Bridge on the River Kwai even though no one picked it for me. I liked it a lot better than Patton because I like prison and caper movies and felt it was more...gritty...and had a lot more depth to it where it wasn't quite as jingoistic.

My list

Casablanca - I've seen "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen" but can take or leave Bogart. Plus I know the gist of the story and the ending, so just never felt the urgency.

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando so not sure how I never got to his one

High Noon - Not a huge fans of westerns in general so never piqued my interest but I like GOOD westerns.

The Producers - I usually like Mel Brooks and somehow never got around to this one

Pan's Labyrinth - Sounds dumb but I need to be in the mood to deal with subtitles

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Need to be in the mood for a war movie too. Apparently I'm moody.

The Thin Red Line - Speaking of war movies, this one has been recommended to me and has drawn favorable comparisons to "Apocalypse Now", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Platoon" so I am very interested. Might watch it soon anyway if no one suggests it.

Patton - Another war movie. Was always worried this would be hokey and too "USA! USA!". The people I know who love it tend to be authoritarian types.

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if it's the main thrust like "Chicago", "Dreamgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" which I liked a lot.

Should I replace the ones I watched with new ones to get back to ten?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if it's the main thrust like "Chicago", Showgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

I was in the same boat as you. Loved Altman but was hesitant about Nashville for the same reasons. Nashville blew me away and I ended up watching like 5 or 6 more times in the span of only a few years because I was so hooked on it. Watch Nashville.

I watched Bonnie and Clyde.

I'd seen the iconic ending before, kinda hard to avoid that in pop culture, but Bonnie and Clyde surprised me in terms of how much of a character piece it was. A lot of times with period pieces and bio pics about historical figures, you get a more rote retelling of events that kinda just moves along from event to event without stopping to properly examine the characters. Not so here, the dynamic between Bonnie and Clyde is at the center of the film and Clyde in particular is such an enigmatic and interesting character. It's hard to pin him down or really say you know what makes him tick, but you get little bits and pieces of it in almost every scene.

If I have a criticism it's that I think the pacing could've been better, there's a lull in the middle where maybe some stuff could've been cut out. But overall it's an excellent combination of an interesting period setting with compelling characters and of course a very impactful ending in the context of violence on film and what audiences would come to expect in the modern era.

Current List with some new entries to replace the old:

1. The Big Sleep: I've used this thread a few times already to pad my Bogart resume so here's another one
2. Fantastic Planet: This is I think supposed to be like a cult classic of weird offbeat animation.
6. The Fisher King: I enjoy Gilliam as much as the next guy(Brazil is one of my favorite movies), but never got around to this one for some reason.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

It's up to you. Most keep a list of ten unseen ones but some have fewer than that at times.

Probably ~99% of people will have between five to ten films on their list at a given time.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Just stumbled onto this thread the other night, and it seems like a lot of fun. I guess my first duty is doling out an assignment, so:

Basebf555 posted:

2. Fantastic Planet: This is I think supposed to be like a cult classic of weird offbeat animation.

I just saw this one myself some months back, and it's a trippy good time.

As to my own list of shame, for Christmas a few years ago one of my brothers got us all one of those scratch-off posts with 100 classic movies, and we've been having an ongoing competition ever since. I am in the lead at the moment, but I still have a lot of ground to cover. I'll draw my initial list from the poster:

1. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939): I need a civics lesson. I like Jimmy Stewart, but I primarily know him through his work with Alfred Hitchcock. I've actually never seen It's a Wonderful Life, either, but I'm saving that for a Christmastime viewing.

2. Singing in the Rain (1952): I'm simply not a musicals guy, but even I know this titan is practically synonymous with the genre.

3. The Searchers (1956): Although I like westerns, I do not think I have ever seen a John Wayne movie.

4. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957): I like war films, but when we get back to the fifties and earlier we are getting to the point where I have seen a handful of classics and things by directors I like but otherwise have a lot of blind spots.

5. Lawrence of Arabia (1962): I am not often going to sit down to watch a three-and-a-half-hour historical epic.

6. Midnight Cowboy (1969): It's wild to me there was a time when an X-rated film could pull in Best Picture at the Oscars.

7. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982): This movie is only a few years older than me, so I am surprised it wasn't in our VHS library somewhere when I was growing up.

8. Schindler's List (1993): This is the only film in the IMDB top 20 I have never seen.

9. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000): I like martial arts films, but I don't think I've ever seen one you would classify as wuxia.

10. Brokeback Mountain (2005): I would have to consider myself a Jake Gyllenhaal fan, and of course we lost Heath too soon. I vaguely remember finding Ang Lee pretentious and annoying in the press cycle/Oscar buzz period for the movie, which may have contributed to missing out on it at the time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Haven't watched a movie or participated in this thread in like 8 years, but I want to do it again.

Crescent, watch Midnight Cowboy. It's a masterpiece.

Movies:
1. Le Samourai - I tried several times but my attention span was short. It's been getting better lately.
2. Cries and Whispers- Love Bergman, haven't seen this one.
3. La Dolce Vita Continuing with more Fellini
4. Stalker Never seen a Tarkovsky
5. Magnolia Always wanted to, but never did
6. Fitzcarraldo Love Herzog, need to see this
7. 400 Blows More stuff I haven't seen.
8. Passion of Joan of Arc Same as before
9. Blowout - early De Palma
10. I Saw The Devil Wildcard choice, Korean horror

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Amélie, The Big Chill, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Casablanca, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, The Elephant Man, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Knife in the Water, Koyaanisqatsi, La Strada, M, The Man Who Wasn't There, Memento, North By Northwest, Notorious, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Touch of Evil, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Zelig
(33 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 3, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seconding that Midnight Cowboy is fantastic.

Depressing as all hell, but still fantastic.

Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman are amazing in it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BiggerBoat posted:

Seconding that Midnight Cowboy is fantastic.

Depressing as all hell, but still fantastic.

Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman are amazing in it.

I had no idea what I was watching and it was a strange story, yet I was enraptured from the beginning of that Harry Nillsen song.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yes! I think most of us put a new one on the list once we scratch one off.

Someone pick a movie for me! It's Friday night. I got nada on the agenda.

HBO Max has a nice selection of classics.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2022

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

escape artist posted:

Someone pick a movie for me! It's Friday night. I got nada on the agenda.

I know it's not Friday anymore (where I am) but if you're still searching, Blowout is awesome. I've really come to love de Palma, and that's one of his absolute best.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

escape artist posted:

HBO Max has a nice selection of classics.

Yes, I've been impressed with their catalog lately.

BeefSupreme posted:

I know it's not Friday anymore (where I am) but if you're still searching, Blowout is awesome. I've really come to love de Palma, and that's one of his absolute best.

That's what stuck out on that list to me as well.

escape artist posted:

9. Blowout - early De Palma

"It's a good scream."

Scarlet Street - Christopher Cross (Edward G. Robinson) is living a tough life. On one side he's stuck in a nightmarish marriage where he's berated nonstop and on the other he's up against a couple of comically evil scammers. In short, he's double henpecked.

I won't detail the scams but his revenge comes in a fit of rage. Near the end we get a flurry of subjective court testimony that exonerates him. But he ends up in his own personal hell. Much more could be said...

Free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVGimYN9uk

Hesitation (103 completed):

#110 The Great Silence - I recently watched a documentary with Tarantino talking about Sergio Corbucci films. I've only seen Django so there are many others to watch. 5/26/22

#111 The Sure Thing - Rob Reiner directed this between This Is Spinal Tap and Stand by Me and it's supposedly good. 5/26/22

#112 Pickup on South Street - An early Samuel Fuller film I need to see. 5/26/22

new #113 Brute Force - A prison film with good ratings. 6/4/22

Time Out's 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Time Out's 100 Best Movies of All Time (99/100 completed):

You have me at a disadvantage, because I have not seen anything on your list. But I have seen some Fassbinder films, and you're so close to finishing the Time Out list!

Watched Midnight Cowboy (1969):

In this X-rated Best Picture winner, Joe Buck (Jon Voight), a tall glass of water from Texas, moves to New York with nebulous plans to become a gigolo and making a living off of lonely middle-aged ladies. He soon runs into and teams up with another two-bit hustler, Enrico "Ratso" Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman). The great strength of this movie is the lead performances (both Voight and Hoffman got Best Actor nods at the Oscars). They're an odd couple drawn together by sheer ineptitude and desperation. Joe is so hapless that his first trick ends with HIM giving his client some cash for cab fare. And it's not the only time he forgets to negotiate payment up front, either. Ratso isn't much better. He fancies himself as street smart, but the only person we ever see him put one over on is Joe. His main skills appear to be petty theft and pickpocketing, which keep him alive but can't elevate him past squatting in a condemned building. Aside from the iconic "I'm walkin, here!" line, I didn't know much about this movie. I was surprised at how tame it is given the X rating, even considering the standards of the time. From what I gather reading up on it, the fact that Joe has some gay encounters pushed it over the edge, but the rating didn't stick and it was re-rated to R only a couple of years later. I live in New York, so I do enjoy seeing movies from days gone-by. This film shows off the seedy days of Times Square, and the characters end up at a Warhol-esque happening. Ultimately, this was a solid watch, but definitely a performances movies for me first and foremost.

LIST OF SHAME:
1. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939): I need a civics lesson. I like Jimmy Stewart, but I primarily know him through his work with Alfred Hitchcock. I've actually never seen It's a Wonderful Life, either, but I'm saving that for a Christmastime viewing.
2. Singing in the Rain (1952): I'm simply not a musicals guy, but even I know this titan is practically synonymous with the genre.
3. The Searchers (1956): Although I like westerns, I do not think I have ever seen a John Wayne movie.
4. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957): I like war films, but when we get back to the fifties and earlier we are getting to the point where I have seen a handful of classics and things by directors I like but otherwise have a lot of blind spots.
5. Lawrence of Arabia (1962): I am not often going to sit down to watch a three-and-a-half-hour historical epic.
7. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982): This movie is only a few years older than me, so I am surprised it wasn't in our VHS library somewhere when I was growing up.
8. Schindler's List (1993): This is the only film in the IMDB top 20 I have never seen.
9. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000): I like martial arts films, but I don't think I've ever seen one you would classify as wuxia.
10. Brokeback Mountain (2005): I would have to consider myself a Jake Gyllenhaal fan, and of course we lost Heath too soon. I vaguely remember finding Ang Lee pretentious and annoying in the press cycle/Oscar buzz period for the movie, which may have contributed to missing out on it at the time.
(and introducing...)
11. Tootsie (1982): Shame might be a strong word, but it IS on my 100-movie scratch-off poster. And it does have an appearance by my favorite actor, Bill Murray, smack dab inbetween Stripes and Ghostbusters.

SHAME OVERCOME:
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

"I'll be right here."

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - This one covers a love triangle of fashionistas and their tensions. They talk through some of their personal preferences and philosophies. And then they go through a typical cycle of love before getting stuck in emotional quagmires.

The lovelorn title character is stuck in various negative emotional states. So it feels like a German companion piece to The Mother and the Whore (1973) at times. With the birthday breakdown and dose of angst it reminded me of a few Bergman films.

Hesitation (103 completed):

#110 The Great Silence - I recently watched a documentary with Tarantino talking about Sergio Corbucci films. I've only seen Django so there are many others to watch. 5/26/22

#111 The Sure Thing - Rob Reiner directed this between This Is Spinal Tap and Stand by Me and it's supposedly good. 5/26/22

#112 Pickup on South Street - An early Samuel Fuller film I need to see. 5/26/22

#113 Brute Force - A prison film with good ratings. 6/4/22

new #114 Dreamscape - Dennis Quaid and dreams. 6/11/22

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Oh, man, I haven't seen this one, but I've just got to hear how Klaus Kinski handles himself in a Western.

Watched E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982):

I thought there was an off-chance I'd seen this at a very young age and just forgotten, but after watching it I am now fairly certain I just never saw it period and only knew the broad outlines from cultural osmosis. You, too, must know the story: some kids take in the titular alien visitor after he is accidentally left behind during a visit to the Earth, and soon it's a race against time to help E.T. "phone home" to his ship for rescue before the government snatches him up. Even without any nostalgia, it's not hard to see why this is why this is arguably the most iconic and acclaimed work even among Spielberg's many heavy-hitters. It's a family-friendly movie in the sense that it has things to appeal to viewers of any age. I figured it would have that Spielbergian sense of wonder, perhaps with a coating of schmaltz, but I also got some good laughs (no one told me, for example, there's a scene where E.T. gets drunk), and I bet I would have gotten a few scares if I had seen it as a little kid, too. I was surprised by the look and design of E.T., which still holds up and was way more expressive than I gathered just from seeing random photos here and there. And, despite the obvious craftsmanship and skill in the filmmaking, I also appreciated the relatively small scale of the story. We're firmly in "kids on bikes" mode for our protagonists here. Even in the final act, when government doctors in hazmat suits descend upon the family's house, the result is a few cop cars chasing kids peddling as fast as they can down suburban streets. The little kid logic does get slightly silly at times, and E.T. is as smart or as stupid as the script needs to be for any given scene. But there's also something charming, even joyous, about touches like using a Speak and Spell as the main component in a communications array. Too bad I can't send this VHS back to my young self.

LIST OF SHAME:
11. Tootsie (1982): Shame might be a strong word, but it IS on my 100-movie scratch-off poster. And it does have an appearance by my favorite actor, Bill Murray, smack dab inbetween Stripes and Ghostbusters.
(and introducing...)
12. The Prestige (2006): I missed this when it came out, and I may have gotten a spoiler, which made it lose momentum in terms of a must-watch. It looks like a stellar cast, though, and someone did give me a copy on Blu-ray that's just sitting on my shelf.

SHAME OVERCOME:
Midnight Cowboy (1969); E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Crescent Wrench posted:

Watched E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982):

I really like reading someone’s thoughts about seeing a movie that I’ve seen so many times (and i saw E.T. in the theater when it came out as a kid)

I’m going to say you should watch The Prestige next

And I’m going to join this thread with my own (very) shameful list so I can see some of these I’ve never watched. Pulled from AFI’s top films and in no particular order:

1. Mr Smith Goes to Washington
2. Casablanca super shameful I know
3. Lawrence of Arabia long!
4. Singin’ in the Rain never been a fan of musicals
5. All About Eve
6. North by Northwest Hitchcock!
7. The Maltese Falcon Bogart!
8. The Philadelphia Story
9. It’s a Wonderful Life
10. The Princess Bride have started this a few times and never got far

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 19, 2022

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Finally sat down to watch 'The Godfather' after I watched the Paramount+ show 'The Offer'....a dramatized telling of the creation of the movie. Show was good....not great. The movie on the other hand was excellent....not that I thought it wouldn't be. Always had it on my list....but for some reason I never got around to finding the motivation to flip it on. I'll be watching Part II tomorrow. Even though Part III is said to not be up to par with the first two....I'll wrap up the trilogy prior to the end of this next weekend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Hassler posted:

10. The Princess Bride have started this a few times and never got far

I'll give you a break on Lawrence this time, I feel kinda bad assigning a 3.5 hour movie to someone. I'm confident that if you watch The Princess Bride from start to finish you'll understand why it's so beloved.

I watched Fantastic Planet. This was oddly coincidental timing because I ended up also watching two other pieces of unique, offbeat animation this past week in The Wolf House and Mad God. Of the three, Fantastic Planet probably has the least "impressive" animation but maybe the most engaging story. It's always fun to just be dropped into a completely alien world and that's what makes Fantastic Planet compelling. The scale of the gigantic blue people can actually be pretty scary at times and there's plenty of weirdness around every corner to keep things interesting.

I will say that I'm glad that I did watch it on HBO rather than blind-buying the Criterion blu ray which I had considered at some point in the past, because it's one of those films that I'm glad I saw but don't necessarily feel like I'll want to revisit it any time soon. In college it would've been different story though, this would've been one of my group's go-to movies to put on when you do mushrooms or whatever.

Current List:

1. The Big Sleep: I've used this thread a few times already to pad my Bogart resume so here's another one
6. The Fisher King: I enjoy Gilliam as much as the next guy(Brazil is one of my favorite movies), but never got around to this one for some reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Finally sat down to watch 'The Godfather' after I watched the Paramount+ show 'The Offer'....a dramatized telling of the creation of the movie. Show was good....not great. The movie on the other hand was excellent....not that I thought it wouldn't be. Always had it on my list....but for some reason I never got around to finding the motivation to flip it on. I'll be watching Part II tomorrow. Even though Part III is said to not be up to par with the first two....I'll wrap up the trilogy prior to the end of this next weekend.

I think part 3 gets a bit of a bum rap. It's not as good as the first 2 and Sophia Coppola is god awful in it but it's not a turd.

It's more just that the first two are incredible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I think part 3 gets a bit of a bum rap. It's not as good as the first 2 and Sophia Coppola is god awful in it but it's not a turd.

It's more than just Sophia Coppola, a lot of the dialogue comes across almost like a Godfather parody at times and some of the actors have a hard time delivering it convincingly. Joe Mantegna is actually worse than Sophia Coppola imo when you take into account the fact that he actually was an experienced actor so he had no excuse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's more than just Sophia Coppola, a lot of the dialogue comes across almost like a Godfather parody at times and some of the actors have a hard time delivering it convincingly. Joe Mantegna is actually worse than Sophia Coppola imo when you take into account the fact that he actually was an experienced actor so he had no excuse.

That's a decent point but I thought Joe was OK (despite the scenery chewing) and Andy Garcia was above average.

The movie is just too slow, clunky and saddled with having to live up to its predecessors but it's not the pile of trash people make it out to be. I've seen far FAR worse movies, even the very year it came out. And Sophia's acting was some of the worst I've ever witnessed - at least in a supposedly prestige movie that had very high expectations with a director that should know better. She's gne on to do some fantastic stuff as a director though. Apparently, Winona Ryder was cast in her role but dropped out at the last minute, which would explain a lot. Francis Coppola fought for Al Pacino in GF1 and got great performances in the first two films from Duval, Caan, Keaton, Cazale, Strasberg, Kirby, Deniro, Shire and of course Brando as well, even though Marlon was lazy by then. There's not a single weak link in the acting in GF 1 or 2, even though I'm not wild about Diane Keaton at times, but everyone was good to great.

GF3...you can't say that for (and I don't think the screenplay was as strong either) but if it had come out as a stand alone and not in the shadow of two legendary, historic Oscar winning films, it would just be remembered as a mediocre or slightly decent mob movie instead of a giant horrible piece of poo poo.

What's odd is we KNOW that Francis can get fantastic performances from good actors (see: Apocalypse Now, The Rainmaker, The Outsiders) and we know they're cast here, but GF3 felt like he just didn't feel like doing another take when he didn't get the scene or something. I don't think his heart was in it.

Then again, speaking of Winona Ryder and acting, that reminded me of Dracula, which I also liked, but that had some dreadful acting performances dragging it down like a motherfucker as well so maybe FFC's eyes and ears aren't as sharp as I like to think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a decent point but I thought Joe was OK (despite the scenery chewing) and Andy Garcia was above average.

This scene in particular always stood out to me as an example of Mantegna not being able to properly sell the dialogue, and also the dialogue is definitely just kinda weak and not nearly as good as the first two films. But it's just a tough thing to really judge because like you said, in the first two films the dialogue was more often than not being delivered by iconic acting titans, a powerhouse cast the likes of which we've seen only very rarely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6M-YT5kkio

The way he says "I say to all of you, I have been treated this day with no respect" just rubs me the wrong way, it's very clunky, and I feel the same way about most of his dialogue in the film. I agree with you though that the movie isn't like, irredeemable garbage. It's a decent movie that people can get over the top about for obvious reasons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm back, baby. And I'm changing up my list after... Three years.

I currently have 170+ films and short films I own on physical media, with more being bought immoderately. So I am making a list of films from my unwatched pile and letting the thread pick them.

Being There (1979) - I love Hal Ashby, and I just keep putting this one off.

Bob le Flambeur (1956) - Jean-Pierre Melville . I've seen Le Cercle Rouge and thought it ruled.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) - I hear it's funny and surreal.

Wild Strawberries (1957) - Love the Bergman I've seen, just too lazy to get that heavy box off the top shelf.

The Holy Mountain (1973) - Big fan of Jodorowsky

Shadows (1959) - Still haven't seen a Cassavetes-directed film.

Who's That Knocking On My Door? (1967) - An early Scorsese I haven't seen. I have this one on DVD.

RAN (1985) - the 4k UHD. There's a lot of Kurosawa I haven't seen, and this one is long.

Short Cuts (1993) - Love the Altman I've seen, and I like Raymond Carver, but it's 3 hours long.

The Wild Bunch (1969) - Grumpy ol' Peckinpah is cool, but it's also long.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God | Casablanca | After Hours | Schindler's List | Ikiru | F for Fake | Raging Bull | The Seventh Seal | Treasure of the Sierra Madre | Lawrence of Arabia | The French Connection | In The Mood For Love | Stalker | Tootsie | M. | The Thin Red Line | Network | The Godfather Part 2 | Monsier Hulot's Holiday | Nashville | Akira | Y Tu Mamá También | Bicycle Thieves
Letterboxd

Basebf555 posted:

If I'm due for a pick, I think this is one of the best use of Robin Williams in a film, and I'm surprised it hasn't gained a bigger following with his passing. I hope you like it!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

This scene in particular always stood out to me as an example of Mantegna not being able to properly sell the dialogue, and also the dialogue is definitely just kinda weak and not nearly as good as the first two films. But it's just a tough thing to really judge because like you said, in the first two films the dialogue was more often than not being delivered by iconic acting titans, a powerhouse cast the likes of which we've seen only very rarely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6M-YT5kkio

The way he says "I say to all of you, I have been treated this day with no respect" just rubs me the wrong way, it's very clunky, and I feel the same way about most of his dialogue in the film. I agree with you though that the movie isn't like, irredeemable garbage. It's a decent movie that people can get over the top about for obvious reasons.

Yeah, that's pretty rough. It plays like "here's what a gangster would say!" than the natural flow of the first two films.

But funny, what stood out to me more in this scene you linked as a weak element is the star.

How we went from Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico or GF1 and 2 to the bombastic and over stated delivery that comedians use to do impressions of him. He's barely even Michael anymore and more like Pacino doing a Pacino impersonation. There's no more of the cold, quiet, calculating Michael we've come to know that speaks mostly in soft, measured tones. Mantegna is not really a great actor but I like him in things. House of Games comes to mind but it's not like he shines there either so much as it's a good script. He's perfect on The Simpsons but I've never come to know him as elevating a film.

TL/DR: Godfather 3 is OK and has some bad acting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

RAN (1985) - the 4k UHD. There's a lot of Kurosawa I haven't seen, and this one is long.

I only watched this for the first time recently, and I loved it. One of the best and most visually stunning films of all time.

Rio Bravo

Very nice and relaxing movie good for a hangover or just a lazy afternoon. I liked it, but definitely wasn't enamoured with it. It seemed odd to me that the stakes were so high yet John Wayne goes over to the saloon like five different times to flirt with Angie Dickinson - also, eww. The characters were mostly excellent but the old man was super irritating it was almost painful at times. My least favourite film I've seen as part of this thread so far but still a good watch with cool characters and good Hawks dialogue.

I actually ended up watching almost every single film on my previous shame list before Rio Bravo on account of, like, not really being very interested in watching Rio Bravo. So here's an almost entirely new list!

Shame List:

- A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

- Double Indemnity: I love Wilder and I love noir but I haven't seen this one yet. Was waiting on the UHD but now it's here!

- All About Eve: I don't really know much about this one other than it's highly acclaimed and won a billion Oscars.

- Ikiru: Gonna keep a Kurosawa slot open for a while I think.

- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: My Bunuel knowledge is extremely lacking so let's fix that huh?

- Tropical Malady: Memoria was my first Joe and I loved it. This is also the highest-ranked movie on the TSP 21st Century list I haven't seen.

- The Turin Horse: Love love LOVE Satantango and Werckmeister but just. Haven't watched this. Have probably download it about six separate times at this point. And I just. Never watch it.

- Sans Soleil: Don't know a lot about this one other than it's by Chris Marker and I think it's a documentary?

- The Lives of Others: Another highly acclaimed 21st century movie I missed.

- My Winnipeg: An Ebert fave I've always been interested in. No idea what to expect.

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing, Close-up, Rio Bravo

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I never got the feeling that the 3rd was bad from what I read. Just that it didn't live up to the first two.

Watched Part II last night....and no question....a great movie. Think if I had to pick however, I liked Part I a tad bit better.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Posting to find my last post. It’s, uh, been a while.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Escobarbarian, check out Double Indemnity

Tokyo Story was very good. I hadn’t seen anything else by Ozu, so I don’t know if this is his style or specific to this movie but I thought it was interesting to always use a static camera and have the characters dead center of the frame speaking directly into the camera. Very slow paced, but it eventually comes together and hits pretty hard.

I also watched Akira a while back. I’m no anime fan but I enjoyed it. I like cyberpunk and body horror so this worked for me. I guess I enjoy movies where guys named Tetsuo turn into hosed up freaks.

The List:

NEW 1. Touch of Evil: I hear this Orson Welles guy is pretty good.

2. Andrei Rublev: More Tarkovsky.

3. Sanjuro: More Kurosawa

4. McCabe and Mrs. Miller: Just making this my Western slot.

5. Lolita: This one seems essential but I can never work up the nerve

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie. As of 2020 I have seen a few Wes Anderson movies.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

NEW 8. The Piano: The only Campion I’ve seen is Power of the Dog, which I really liked.

9. 8 1/2: I've scrolled past this on Criterion Channel so many times.

10. The General: Never seen any Buster Keaton.

Watched (68): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter, Blood Simple, Eyes Wide Shut, Memories of Murder, Sunset Boulevard, City Lights, The Artist, The Hudsucker Proxy, Stalker, Barry Lyndon, Stagecoach, Solaris, Reds, The King’s Speech, The Seventh Seal, The Man Who Wasn't There, Throne of Blood, Tokyo Story, Akira

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Alfred P. Pseudonym watch North Dallas Forty!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm confident that if you watch The Princess Bride from start to finish you'll understand why it's so beloved.

Just finished this! Had a hard time getting into it but the last 1/3 or so really was wonderful. So many references I now know the source of

Shame List

1. Mr Smith Goes to Washington
2. Casablanca super shameful I know
3. Lawrence of Arabia long!
4. Singin’ in the Rain never been a fan of musicals
5. All About Eve
6. North by Northwest Hitchcock!
7. The Maltese Falcon Bogart!
8. The Philadelphia Story
9. It’s a Wonderful Life
10. The Princess Bride have started this a few times and never got far Unshamed

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 25, 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

^^^Check out Singin’ in the Rain. I’m also not a huge musical fan but it’s great.

North Dallas Forty felt a lot like Rollerball but on a smaller scale. I enjoyed how it portrayed the grind of football and how it slowly destroys everyone who plays, but never those who profit. Nick Nolte looks like he’s in terrible pain every frame of this movie.

The List:

1. Touch of Evil: I hear this Orson Welles guy is pretty good.

2. Andrei Rublev: More Tarkovsky.

3. Sanjuro: More Kurosawa

4. McCabe and Mrs. Miller: Just making this my Western slot.

5. Lolita: This one seems essential but I can never work up the nerve

6. The Life Aquatic: I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie. As of 2020 I have seen a few Wes Anderson movies.

NEW 7. Bullitt: I’ve started this twice and gotten distracted and turned it off but it seems up my alley.

8. The Piano: The only Campion I’ve seen is Power of the Dog, which I really liked.

9. 8 1/2: I've scrolled past this on Criterion Channel so many times.

10. The General: Never seen any Buster Keaton.

Watched (69): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes, Shane, Léon: The Professional, Trainspotting, The Conversation, Miller's Crossing, A Fish Called Wanda, City of God, Psycho, Singin' in the Rain, Witness for the Prosecution, Se7en, The Wild Bunch, Oklahoma!, Cool Hand Luke, Paths of Glory, The Night of the Hunter, Blood Simple, Eyes Wide Shut, Memories of Murder, Sunset Boulevard, City Lights, The Artist, The Hudsucker Proxy, Stalker, Barry Lyndon, Stagecoach, Solaris, Reds, The King’s Speech, The Seventh Seal, The Man Who Wasn't There, Throne of Blood, Tokyo Story, Akira, North Dallas Forty

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

^^^Check out Singin’ in the Rain. I’m also not a huge musical fan but it’s great.

North Dallas Forty felt a lot like Rollerball but on a smaller scale. I enjoyed how it portrayed the grind of football and how it slowly destroys everyone who plays, but never those who profit. Nick Nolte looks like he’s in terrible pain every frame of this movie.

At first I thought this was a really weird comparison but then I realized you're right. I love North Dallas Forty. IIRC, the NFL was not too happy with the film or the book and I think that was why none of the football scenes were filmed in stadiums or something like that.

My favorite line in it is "Every time we say it's a game, you say it's a business and every time we say it's a business, you say it's a game" and athletes still put up with that poo poo. I never understood the perception of pro athletes as spoiled, coddled and overpaid. Those guys bust their loving asses and put their health on the line but rich owners mostly get a pass.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Wes Anderson has a really good to great collection of movies. But I've always felt that 'Rushmore' is his one movie that I'd consider excellent.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

1. Touch of Evil: I hear this Orson Welles guy is pretty good.

This is a good one.

Finished: Blowout, 400 Blows and Stalker. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons.

Blow Out - I had only seen the first 20 minutes of this and it never grabbed me, but drat. I was so excited to see Lithgow as a villain. I see why Quentin Tarantino loves this movie. This is definitely my favorite De Palma of the ones I've seen so far. I thought the character development was a little lacking, felt like things were trying to move too fast for me to really like the characters. That being said, the movie felt like it was ahead of its time in many respects.

400 Blows - I watched this while baked after re-watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me for the billionth time. It was a nice antidote to the darkness. Despite the plot of the film, there was a whimsical feeling throughout. The movie was so easy to watch and it blew by me on my screen.

Stalker - I had to watch this one in two parts. It really had a "Waiting for Godot" feel to me. The dialogue was spectacular and I had to rewind it several times to just listen to the amazing dialogue. My first Tarkovsky, definitely won't be my last. This is a deep, ponderous, beautiful film which requires your attention. I expect to watch it again soon.

1. Le Samourai - I tried several times but my attention span was short. It's been getting better lately.
2. Cries and Whispers- Love Bergman, haven't seen this one.
3. La Dolce Vita Continuing with more Fellini
4. Ivan the Terrible (I and II)- Russian stuff
6. Fitzcarraldo Love Herzog, need to see this
7. Tokyo Story - Need to try some Ozu
8. Passion of Joan of Arc Same as before
9. Klute - thriller I've always wanted to check out
10. I Saw The Devil Wildcard choice, Korean horror

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, The 400 Blows, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Amélie, The Big Chill, Blow Out, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Casablanca, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, The Elephant Man, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Knife in the Water, Koyaanisqatsi, La Strada, M, The Man Who Wasn't There, Memento, North By Northwest, Notorious, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Stalker, Sunset Blvd, Touch of Evil, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Zelig
(36 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 26, 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

At first I thought this was a really weird comparison but then I realized you're right. I love North Dallas Forty. IIRC, the NFL was not too happy with the film or the book and I think that was why none of the football scenes were filmed in stadiums or something like that.

My favorite line in it is "Every time we say it's a game, you say it's a business and every time we say it's a business, you say it's a game" and athletes still put up with that poo poo. I never understood the perception of pro athletes as spoiled, coddled and overpaid. Those guys bust their loving asses and put their health on the line but rich owners mostly get a pass.

I did think it was weird that they were practicing in a basketball gym. And yeah, that line is great.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Sixth Sense

By the time I was old enough to see this, I knew the twist, and so I just never got around to seeing it because nothing else about it compelled me. That's the problem with films that are notable for having a twist - you develop the impression that everything else about it is secondary to the twist. Sometimes you're right, but a film that's good and is capped with a decent twist remains watchable even if you know how everything is upended.

In a lot of ways, The Sixth Sense is a fairly good film in its own right, but I found myself deeply enjoying it in the same way that I enjoy Columbo, where you obtain pleasure from seeing how things move towards a predetermined conclusion. Part of me is sad that I'll never get to experience it the way audiences did when it premiered, which must've been pretty amazing, but Shyamalan has so much fun using the language of film to create a kind of alternate universe movie up to the point where Willis realises he's been (spoilers, I guess) dead the whole time that deconstructing this fakery becomes its own form of entertainment. There are some fairly obvious moments, like the scene at the restaurant where his wife doesn't talk to him and we're meant to believe she's being standoffish because he was late to their anniversary dinner, but also more subtle touches.

I think my favorite was when he appears at Cole's house, sitting opposite his mom in the living room, when Cole comes home from school. The way it's shot is perfectly standard film shorthand that implies that he's been there for a little bit and they've been talking, even though she never says anything to him or even acknowledges him at all. The viewer is trained to understand this as Willis's character does. This all ties in to the suggestion that the dead don't know they're dead, because they only see what they want to see, and I was thrilled by the way that the medium of the film is used to convey that, and the idea that we, in our lives, are unable to see outside of our own perspectives. Willis shows up in a scene via a shot that suggests he's always been there, though we later know that that's not the case - he wasn't in the scene until the film put him in the scene. We often move through our lives in the same way, always in the moment, always having been here, oblivious to the bigger picture.

As a film, on its own terms, it's not perfect. If it was the straightforward drama thriller it pretends to be, it would be maybe a little flimsy, though the relationship between Cole and his mother, played (and knocked out of the park) by Toni Colette, is wonderfully rendered. There's also the gradual development of Cole as a kind of benevolent helper of ghosts, which has a certain Stephen King/Roald Dahl spirit to it that comes to a head in a scene (the funeral) that's both blissfully silly and dramatically gripping. And, again, in that scene, is the idea that we aren't able to conceive of what we don't know. Unless someone tells us.

8/10

shamezone

1) Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - doll movie
2) The Blue Angel - Dietrich movie
3) Daughters of the Dust - movie i want to see movie
4) The Deer Hunter - wedding movie
5) Amour - elderly movie
6) The Times of Harvey Milk - milk movie
8) Nomadland - recent movie
9) Alexander Nevsky - ice movie
10) A League Of Their Own - baseball movie

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10, The Rite 5/10, The Piano Teacher 10/10, Ashes and Diamonds 7/10, Meantime 9/10, Carnival of Souls 8/10, La Notte 10/10, Frances Ha 10/10, L'avventura, Again 10/10, A Room With a View 9/10, Laura 8/10, Marjorie Prime 10/10, Ex Machina 8/10, Tampopo 10/10, Pickpocket 4/10, Harlan County USA 10/10, The Spirit of the Beehive 10/10, Heaven's Gate 4/10, A Short Film About Killing 9/10, The Pillow Book 6/10, Desert Hearts 9/10, Alice in the Cities 10/10, Yi Yi 10/10, Rififi 9/10, Children of Paradise 10/10, A Poem is a Naked Person 8/10, Late Autumn 8/10, Chimes at Midnight 10/10 Watership Down 9/10, Ugetsu 9/10, Veronika Voss 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 7/10, Close-Up 10/10, Journey to Italy 10/10, L'Eclisse 7/10, Andrei Rublev 11/10, Vagabond 9/10, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari 9/10, Shoplifters 10/10, Escape From New York 10/10, Die Hard 10/10, The Last Picture Show 9/10, Mr Smith Goes To Washington 8/10, Saturday Night Fever 9/10, First Blood 7/10, Mad Max 7/10, Come and See 10/10, Friday the 13th 7/10, Predator 5/10, Sicario 10/10, Grizzly Man 9/10, Cache 10/10, The Evil Dead 9/10, Tetsuo: The Iron Man 10/10, One Sings, The Other Doesn't 8/10, The Last House on the Left 10/10, Cries and Whispers 10/10, Salesman 10/10. The Tree of Wooden Clogs 11/10, The Sixth Sense 8/10 (total: 188)

escape artist posted:

And now you will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Well now there's been an eruption!"

The Great Silence - You can't trust anyone with a gun in this one. Recursive revenge pits a bunch of hunters against a bunch of outlaws. The mute protagonist named Silence (Jean-Louis Trintignant) goes up against a bounty hunter named Loco (Klaus Kinski). It's tragic and violent and full of snow.

What makes this one great is that it breaks many story conventions. There's no good guy with a gun versus bad guy with a gun dichotomy. And there's no helpless townsfolk either. All the factions are bad and the dynamics are dark. This is the Wild West.

I've seen a handful of films where the protagonist dies but very few where he/she loses and dies in such a manner. An impactful and indelible ending.

If you're looking for a fresh take on this genre then look no further.

Also watched:

Brute Force - Burt Lancaster stars in this one as someone living through dreary penitentiary life: slop food, overbearing staff, drain pipe drudgery, making license plates etc. Most of the men want to escape back to their former lives. I've seen my share of prison escape films and what stuck out with this one was the memorable and dreamy flashbacks of some of the inmates.

There's a decent amount of psychological sparring going on between the leaders of the prison. And Hume Cronyn is memorable as the villainous captain. The prison escape is a big failure (and more violent than expected) but still kind of compelling.

PS The Hole (1960) is one of the better prison escape films I've watched recently.

new Casino Royale - I remember people raging because Daniel Craig's hair was the wrong color. Then came the news articles demanding that he dye his hair or drop out of the role etc. 6/26/22

Hesitation (105 completed):

#114 Dreamscape - Dennis Quaid and dreams. 6/11/22

new #115 Prophecy - I've heard it's an underrated monster movie. 6/26/22

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 26, 2022