Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
>Dan gets told that Auron is supposed to have Armor Break which the boss isn't immune to
>looks at Auron on Gooba&'s sphere grid instead of his own
>looks at Auron with 30 unspent sphere levels
>awkward silence from Dan

IT IS A GOOD PAIN, BECAUSE DAN IS SUFFERING FOR HIS SINS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like that the reason that Evrae is even remotely a roadblock is because people generally don't use items in JRPGs. Al Bhed potions kind of poo poo on that fight really hard, but if you don't use them, you're both minus your regular healer and are working off of a severe action economy deficit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also Dan and Grace talked about how "old man" is a weird way to refer to your father and I was thinking on it. I think it's maybe something an older generation would have said, like my dad about his dad, but I don't mind it.

Anyway, it reminded of a somewhat infamous moment from Xenogears' translation where the hero says "My father? Yu mean my dad?" Like, Japan has multiple wasy to refer to parents, some respectful and formal, others not. I don't know what Tidus calls Jecht in Japanese but I asked awesome SA user Kanfy

quote:

That sounds about right, Tidus refers to Jecht as 'oyaji' (親父) which is a very informal and largely masculine way to refer to one's father, especially in a language and culture that has always been historically big on parental respect. Informality isn't inherently negative though, it can range from openly scornful to deeply affectionate, so it's a pretty tone- and context-dependent deal. It also has other uses that aren't directly relevant here, like you can refer to someone else's father with it in a humble manner, yakuza underlings can refer to their superiors as oyaji as a sign of parent-like respect and such. Also a frequently disrespectful way to refer to older guys in general, and used for male shop owners and such too. Adding -san to it in that kind of context where you're referring to someone unrelated makes it clearly polite, like Cloud and Aerith in FF7 refers to the guy who runs the place that makes their dresses in Wall Market as 'oyaji-san'.

That said, in the written dialogue Tidus' oyaji is actually written in katakana (オヤジ) instead of the more "proper" kanji version above which you could definitely read as emphasis that he's never thought much of the guy. For example Rufus in FF7 primarily refers to his father with katakana oyaji, as does Yuffie most of the time (although she uses both). On the other hand Bartz in FF5 is an example of using kanji oyaji when referring to his dad. Incidentally that Fei line also features the word, Grahf refers to Fei's father with the standard word for father 'chichioya' (父親) while Fei refers to him as 'oyaji' (親父).

Even as a non-native English speaker I never really found Tidus using 'old man' that weird myself though, it's just casual slang for one's dad which you can even find in dictionaries. Guess they could've also gone with 'pops' or something, but I'm not sure if that would've sounded less odd.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I wouldn't refer to my own dad as my old man in any context, but it's also not weird to me because I watched a lot of 80s movies growing up where dads were referred to as exactly that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 46 - You Should Steal From It

You should not, under any circumstances, steal from it

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

You've fallen for one of the classic blunders!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

This game lets you have plenty of fun :colbert: For example, did you know Seymour Natus is vulnerable to Provoke, so then you cast Reflect on Gooba& and watch Seymour blast himself in the face with his own spells because he's just so mad at Gooba&? Like and subscribe for more fun facts!

You have the death cat equipped on Lulu right? From what I can tell Epaaj shouldn't be immune to that so what the gently caress. This is bullshit actually

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Procrastine posted:

This game lets you have plenty of fun :colbert: For example, did you know Seymour Natus is vulnerable to Provoke, so then you cast Reflect on Gooba& and watch Seymour blast himself in the face with his own spells because he's just so mad at Gooba&? Like and subscribe for more fun facts!

You have the death cat equipped on Lulu right? From what I can tell Epaaj shouldn't be immune to that so what the gently caress. This is bullshit actually

Nope for some reason he recently replaced it with something lame like poison plus silence.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Death touch barely ever worked and poison and silence are two for the price of one and it sounded cool

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Death touch barely ever worked and poison and silence are two for the price of one and it sounded cool

To be fair, *any* "touch" effect on Lulu's weapons are almost never going to be meaningful because it requires her to use her regular attack which

a) means the Black Mage is not using magic
b) Is almost never going to hit because she's less accurate than even Auron
c) even when she does hit, "touch" effects are only a "sometimes" thing. What you really wanna look out for are status-strike weapons (status-strike is nearly every hit, as opposed to status-touch which is only occasional), though I don't think you can find any yet at this point in the game.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My gods, that Ghost fight. Intentionally bumblefucking your way through it, just because you wanted to see if you could slap it in the face with its own spell. Dan, you make every episode an adventure.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I see you found the absolute shittiest encounter in the whole game!

Magic Urns are just loving stupid. It's a guessing game where the prize is something worthless (I usually seem to get a Phoenix Down) and the penalty is massive damage. Just a completely pointless waste of time. You can't even kill them for real and get AP. And I guarantee when you come back to catch fiends in the cave, you will not stop finding more goddamn urns.

edit: By the way, a "fun" fact: the capture weapons don't come with Piercing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Piercing is one of the cheapest abilities to add to a weapon, at least. I usually give it to at least one other character in addition to Auron, for those high-defense enemies that don't answer to Armor Break.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

iirc there's a cap of 99 sphere levels stored up before that character stops gaining AP

also fuckin :lmao: at the ghost fight, it was wonderful

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Danaru posted:

It genuinely isn't the worst notion if you don't have a good magic-booster for her. Something that might apply multiple useful status effects can be handy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Nidoking posted:

Piercing is one of the cheapest abilities to add to a weapon, at least. I usually give it to at least one other character in addition to Auron, for those high-defense enemies that don't answer to Armor Break.

I just thought of the idea of a ball with Piercing and laughed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 47 - Fortune Sphere

Here's your goddamn sphere grid

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Great ending to the episode.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

:gizz:

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

:cawg: It's everything I dreamed it would be

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I hate everything. You finally did a good thing and then erased all of it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So much for that additional luck.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Best episode ever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This might surprise you guys, but I was in fact one of the kids who stuck a fork in an electric socket more than once

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I was shocked at the sensible way you spent Auron's sphere levels, but the classic ending restored my faith.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

loving incredible i love it :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Who could have seen this coming?!?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
For future refference: You can mitigate the effect of devasting random encounters, if one of your characters runs away. If only two people remain and both die instantly, it's not a game over.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 48 - Eat poo poo, Biggs

I was real excited before I noticed the missing zero. I don't... think we're getting Yojimbo any time soon.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

cant cook creole bream posted:

For future refference: You can mitigate the effect of devasting random encounters, if one of your characters runs away. If only two people remain and both die instantly, it's not a game over.

Which is hilarious, given that there are always four other people not in the battle. I guess the acceptable casualty rate for guardians is strictly 1/3 maximum.

...........blizzbawwwww

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Which is hilarious, given that there are always four other people not in the battle. I guess the acceptable casualty rate for guardians is strictly 1/3 maximum.

...........blizzbawwwww

I was surprised when FFXII did it differently. I didn't really die all that often during that game, but when an optional boss wiped me out, I realized that I could switch all those dead guys with the B-team.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Venom Shot can definitely score and not just Poison the goalie. The poison thing is just a delightful bonus if you aren't close enough to score.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Does poisoning the goalie do anything? (Does poisoning anyone effectively do anything? It never hindered any of my players.) I feel like Nap is obviously good on goalies, Wither has a 50/50 chance to be good, if it withers CA instead of BL, and Venom is just... they don't need their HP for anything so who cares?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't believe Poison does anything to Goalies, no. However, I think Venom Shot costs the least HP out of all the "shot" techniques. Plus you can use it to potentially learn any anti-venom techniques the opponents might have?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Nojimbo :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

I don't believe Poison does anything to Goalies, no. However, I think Venom Shot costs the least HP out of all the "shot" techniques. Plus you can use it to potentially learn any anti-venom techniques the opponents might have?

Technically, poisoning a goalie might mean that he might be to exhausted to continuously use catching skills, but that seems a bit unhelpful, all things considered.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That was a very fun fact, Grace! Thank you for brightening up my day!

Also, gently caress you, Biggs.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I'm just going to say that FF14 has forever ruined Yojimbo for me, by the way...

And I choose not to elaborate as to why :saddowns:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 49 - Do You? Should You?

Turns out this fight is a lot easier when you actually use Kimahri :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

WithYunabymyside

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZUT77L_fgI

If you hack the game so Kimahri has max stats then Biran and Yenke have a few million HP each so you're in for a fairly long fight, fortunately Doom kills them in 20 turns or so.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 6, 2022