Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Opening Fiorina for the first time in a long time for Deirdre’s birthday party! Leif is here for all your flower, start and vegetable needs, buy what you see in Nooks, sadly the turnip prices are garbage. Free DIYs on the path next to Resident Services!

I’ll be AFK as I catch up with college assignments.

Dodo: Closed

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

There was a code here, but it’s gone now!

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 8, 2022

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I'm getting a second switch, and I'm giving mine to my son to just always use. All the digital games have been purchased under my name, so he'll still be able to play them all as long as I don't make the new switch my home switch right? My question about animal crossing is what happens? I believe the islands are tied to the switches, so I want to leave that island there because he has stuff there, but I don't want to start all over from nothing , so I'm happy to start a new island but I want my money. And NMTs and stuff. Can I just start a new island and it won't break anything then like have him come visit and drop off a bunch of my crap? What happens when somebody tries? Mailing me stuff And I live on two islands, does it just go to whichever mailbox logs in first?

cats
May 11, 2009

RodShaft posted:

So I'm getting a second switch, and I'm giving mine to my son to just always use. All the digital games have been purchased under my name, so he'll still be able to play them all as long as I don't make the new switch my home switch right? My question about animal crossing is what happens? I believe the islands are tied to the switches, so I want to leave that island there because he has stuff there, but I don't want to start all over from nothing , so I'm happy to start a new island but I want my money. And NMTs and stuff. Can I just start a new island and it won't break anything then like have him come visit and drop off a bunch of my crap? What happens when somebody tries? Mailing me stuff And I live on two islands, does it just go to whichever mailbox logs in first?

EDIT: so I realized that when writing my reply, I had assumed that your son was already living on your old island with you. If that's not the case, disregard all the words below - you should be able to just transfer your island using the Island Transfer tool.

----

Yep that should work, even with just one digital copy of the game (speaking from experience). Just a few things to keep in mind:

First off, yes, you'll want to set/keep the old Switch as the primary Switch, and your new one will become secondary.

If you don't have one already you'll want to make sure you have a family online plan (or multiple individual ones I guess). You can't visit "yourself" on the other island, so you'll have to use your son's character as the mule to help transfer all your stuff. And you can't visit each other locally with just a single digital copy of the game, you have to use the online option. Both of you can be logged in and playing at the same time no problem, you just can't be logged in on both systems at the same time.

To transfer your stuff, money, etc, you'll need to log in as yourself on the old island, drop whatever items/bells you're taking with you on the ground outside, then log out and log back in as your son. Then either he can drop everything off on your new island, or your new character can go back to the old island (while your son is "hosting") and take the stuff back with you. Nook Miles don't "cash out" so you'll need to convert them into NMTs or whatever.

Your mail boxes don't overlap, people can mail stuff to "RodShaft on Old Island" or "RodShaft on New Island."

One last thing to be aware of is that if your son is not the Island Rep on the old island, he may be limited in what he can do. I don't know exactly what that encompasses, but for example I think only the island rep can terraform or make paths. Not sure how old your son is and what he likes to do in the game, so you might want to do some research there.

cats fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 12, 2022

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

cats posted:

One last thing to be aware of is that if your son is not the Island Rep on the old island, he may be limited in what he can do. I don't know exactly what that encompasses, but for example I think only the island rep can terraform or make paths. Not sure how old your son is and what he likes to do in the game, so you might want to do some research there.

Alts are able to unlock terraforming and laying paths for themselves. The main thing they cannot do is enact ordinances and I think request to move villager houses

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Thanks. My son's 9 so he'll be fine. He has his own account and developed the island with me. So I'm all setup.

I had no idea we could both use the same copy of digital games. Does that work on all switch games? Because I just bought a second copy of Diablo 3. I may have to sell some physical games and get the digital copy. (I actually went hard for physical copies because I always planned on getting him his own switch. Now I'm dumb.

cats
May 11, 2009
I don't think I've tried it with any games besides Animal Crossing and maybe Splatoon once, but I would imagine it works the same across the board.

One other thing, and you might already know this, but since your new switch is the secondary console it needs to do an internet connection check every time you start up a digital game even if you're playing offline. If I'm not home I'll just turn on my phone hotspot for a minute, then disconnect once the game launches.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

cats posted:

I don't think I've tried it with any games besides Animal Crossing and maybe Splatoon once, but I would imagine it works the same across the board.

One other thing, and you might already know this, but since your new switch is the secondary console it needs to do an internet connection check every time you start up a digital game even if you're playing offline. If I'm not home I'll just turn on my phone hotspot for a minute, then disconnect once the game launches.

Yeah I figured that's how it worked, but I was going to test if I could like sleep it with the game active and whatnot. I always hotspot to my current switch to play Diablo in the school pick up line anyway so it's not like it's going to be much different.

cats
May 11, 2009
Leaving the game open in sleep mode works to an extend. It will still do a check the first time you start it up each day, and after that it seems to be on some sort of timer.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Turnips for 264 Bells on Fiorina in case anyone’s looking for a last-minute minor spike!

Dodo: closed due to lack of interest

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 13, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Stealing from the PYF Tweets thread:

https://twitter.com/SirEviscerate/status/1526702452703219714

:same:

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Opening up Fiorina to offload a bunch of snacks and DIY recipes. All laid out in front of Mr Plinkett’s house.

Dodo: Closed

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 20, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I finally got the nook mile reward for seeing one hundred KK performances! I know I could have gotten it a few months ago but I missed a few back before I realized how difficult it would be to get without time traveling.

Now to 100% Animal Crossing I just need to catch 800 fish, 2100 bugs, and 800 sea creatures, craft 1500 tools, and 1600 pieces of furniture. And "help villagers" 60 more times. That ones going to be the hardest as I'm not really sure how to grind it out, and my rate seems to have gone way down since I started playing less and less.

I'm glad those achievements are so ridiculously grindy. It gives me a good excuse to break out animal crossing and just wander around my town catching bugs or whatever in the background while I listen to audiobooks or chat with friends. Feels like I'm making progress.

Though shaking trees for sticks and mashing a to craft tools/furniture is probably going to be less engaging, when I'm down to just that. Oh well.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Eiba posted:

I finally got the nook mile reward for seeing one hundred KK performances! I know I could have gotten it a few months ago but I missed a few back before I realized how difficult it would be to get without time traveling.

Now to 100% Animal Crossing I just need to catch 800 fish, 2100 bugs, and 800 sea creatures, craft 1500 tools, and 1600 pieces of furniture. And "help villagers" 60 more times. That ones going to be the hardest as I'm not really sure how to grind it out, and my rate seems to have gone way down since I started playing less and less.

I'm glad those achievements are so ridiculously grindy. It gives me a good excuse to break out animal crossing and just wander around my town catching bugs or whatever in the background while I listen to audiobooks or chat with friends. Feels like I'm making progress.

Though shaking trees for sticks and mashing a to craft tools/furniture is probably going to be less engaging, when I'm down to just that. Oh well.

My strategy for crafting is setting up an x-mark of black flowers, watering them once with a golden watering can, then setting the ordinance to beautiful town (talk to Isabelle to do this). Make sure to block all other flowers off with pathways so they don’t spread everywhere. The x-flowers will then generate gold and black ones constantly (use golden can again if they spawn only black repeatedly after a few days), and you can just sell or trash the black flowers. With each gold petal you make 1k, and if you have the golden wreath recipe you make 20k for every ten you craft together. I have over 140 golden flowers now, so I get 240k by crafting 14 times every three days. It gets you money and makes crafting back and forth less tedious, so you can afford to re-create Leyndall like I’m working too.

You can just also craft scattered papers to document stack repeatedly but that is boring as hell.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

My strategy for crafting is setting up an x-mark of black flowers, watering them once with a golden watering can, then setting the ordinance to beautiful town (talk to Isabelle to do this). Make sure to block all other flowers off with pathways so they don’t spread everywhere. The x-flowers will then generate gold and black ones constantly (use golden can again if they spawn only black repeatedly after a few days), and you can just sell or trash the black flowers. With each gold petal you make 1k, and if you have the golden wreath recipe you make 20k for every ten you craft together. I have over 140 golden flowers now, so I get 240k by crafting 14 times every three days. It gets you money and makes crafting back and forth less tedious, so you can afford to re-create Leyndall like I’m working too.

You can just also craft scattered papers to document stack repeatedly but that is boring as hell.
I've actually bred blue roses and got the blue rose wreath recipe, so I actually had a much easier time of setting something up something like that and I made a whole absurd ton of money... but I didn't like the look of having a huge field of blue roses in my town, especially since they spent most of their time regrowing if I kept picking them, so I killed them all.

Though now that I think about it, I have a bunch of backup special flowers hidden behind my back cliff- things like purple windflowers that I think are pretty but have no place for at the moment. At this point I'm pretty sure I won't need them since my town is pretty well done up at this point. I could fill that area with blue roses and chip away at my furniture crafting a little bit at least picking them all the time.

In any case, the document stack cycle is a good (boring) backup at least. Tools are going to be a little more effort. I only need about 300 more flimsy nets and rods to catch all the fish and bugs i need, so I'll need to grind out over a thousand more tools purely for the sake of this achievement.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 29, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I got my last golden tool recipe today!

Now I'm concentrating on getting a complete set of art for the museum. I figure I'll putter around and try to get my remaining pieces organically for a month or so, and then head to the discord.

My husband asked if I had "finished" Animal Crossing when I made my axe, so I definitely need to show him your post, Eiba:

Eiba posted:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Grats! Let me play my favorite victory jingle from the AC series

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Edit: Island closed now.
I picked up the Sanrio amiibo cards recently so if anyone's interested in furniture from them post in the thread and I'll order it for next time I open up

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 3, 2022

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

LonelyMudkip posted:

Dodo Code: D0X3B

Heya, I've got a bunch of extra stuff cause I am a hoarder and can never sell anything that might be of use to someone else. So I'm gonna open up for a bit. I've got 4 legit pieces of art, a few songs and an assload of recipes
Southern Hemisphere, cherries native, evening. Help yourself to fruit and veg, I've got a tonne of pumpkins. Also, if anyone has a blue rose they could spare it would be very appreciated. I've got one already, just need another to breed it with.

Art: Moving, Serene and Famous paintings and an Ancient Statue
Music: KK Soul, Stroll, Folk, Oasis, Ballad and Blues, Forest Life, My Place and DJ KK
Food Recipes: Seafood Ajillo x2, Carrot-tops Curry x2, Pretzels, Frosted Pretzels, Mixed Fruits Tart, Pear Jam
Crafting Recipes: just typed it out and it was an awful wall of text so I'll just give highlights. Some Bamboo, Shell and Glowing Moss stuff, Starry-sands flooring, Water flooring, Woodland wall, Western-style stone and a bunch of other junk

Edit: I also picked up the Sanrio amiibo cards recently so if anyone's interested in furniture from them post in the thread and I'll order em for next time I open up

Sorry I wasn't awake for it but if you still need it, I can give you a blue rose

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

That would be awesome! I'm just AFK-ing so I'll be open for a while unless the internet craps out

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh, same dodo code? Okay i'll try now

Edit: I'm in! Blue rose south of the playground, just above your yellow/white roses.

Morter fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 3, 2022

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Thanks so much! That's the last colour for my rainbow rose garden sorted!

lightly beaten
Oct 26, 2004

HappyfeetHappyfeetHappyfeet

Fun Shoe

LonelyMudkip posted:

Thanks so much! That's the last colour for my rainbow rose garden sorted!

I have so many blue roses that I trash them. Let me know if you need a bunch more.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Come on down and get some recipes/DIYs, real art, Sanrio stuff and cataloging done.

CLOSED

Only new item for cataloging is the Throne (which is the most expensive usable furniture in the game, I think? 800,000 bells or 720,000 Poki).

If anyone has an extra Great statue, that would be awesome. It's the last piece of art I need to complete my museum and Redd has yet to offer it. :argh:

Real art is on Redd's beach and in front of Zucker's house.

Turnips are trash. Buy what you want at Nooks.

Sanrio stuff and star pieces are in front of my house.

I'll be AFK but the Switch and the gate should stay on until about 11am EST. Ping me if there's a problem.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 4, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Does anyone have Pink Wrestling Shoes? It's apparently the last pair of shoes my daughter needs.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

TheMadMilkman posted:

Does anyone have Pink Wrestling Shoes? It's apparently the last pair of shoes my daughter needs.

I have them. I've ordered a pair (had in catalog but not on hand) and can put up a dodo code tomorrow at some point (probably evening EDT).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Edit: Disregard, please have my sassy outfit

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 10, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

I have them. I've ordered a pair (had in catalog but not on hand) and can put up a dodo code tomorrow at some point (probably evening EDT).

Kicks was on her island today and actually had them in stock. I do truly appreciate your willingness to help, though.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Marina of Fiorina is celebrating her cake day!

Dodo: 82JPL

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Turnips are 549 on my island right now

9T149

Closed now

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 13, 2022

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Y'all. I have a lot of hours in Animal Crossing - was addicted from day 1 of New Leaf, and that continued over into ACNH. But after so many hours, inevitably the same thing happens: I eventually get bored, and reset my island, just so I can start anew and have something to do again that's not waiting to get lucky on Furniture/Items/Fossils, etc.

Since I adore the flower breeding in ACNH, I usually dive into hard each time, and starting with my first ACNH island, I have always had a decent sized meadow of Purple Flowers (sans "purple" roses, which are decidedly NOT purple), just because I love the color and how it looks.

So this current island hadn't been up that long (gotten a 4-star, but not 5 yet), and boredom was already starting to set in. My purple meadow already had a decent start:

But after neglecting it for a few weeks, I conceptualized a new thing I could do on my island: let purple flowers take it over. Thus was born:

The Purple Creep
-or-
"pray to every god you can for rain, friend..."

I decided that purple flowers are an invasive alien species that eventually take over everything. They also have a limited form of mind control which compels you to water them EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. MUST. WATER.

If we're gonna have this alien menace eating everything in site, we're gonna need some rules for how it "eats".

This is what I went with. Feel free to adapt at will:

- you MUST water any Creep that is eligible to breed*
- when the Creep touches** any other flower, that flower dies.
- when a path is touched by 2 squares of Creep, the path is removed
- when a tree is fully surrounded in all 8 spaces by Creep, the tree is removed
- when an object/decoration is fully surrounded, it is removed
- Gyroids are immune, including any item which has a gyroid on it
- if you want to "seed" a new area, use a cluster***
- if a purple flower spawns on your island, you must immediately make it into a cluster (by adding the other 4 flowers), and apply the rules above

* a flower can only breed/clone if it has empty space around it
** in this case "touches" means "occupies one of the flower's adjacent squares"
*** a cluster is what I have been calling 1 each of the 5 flowers, planted. I just added one the other day and took a screenshot:

So I have been doing this since...I think mid April or so. Haven't time traveled. it starts to go REALLY fast after a while. Like there's a tipping point for sure. I now go thru a full watering can and almost all of another one per day. So - get SUPER efficient with your watering. Don't waste uses. Figure out how you can lay out the 6 or 9 pattern of the can to hit the most eligible things.

I don't have a Golden Can, but it would actually be less efficient in this case, as once you have a large enough block of flowers, you only need to water the edges, and that's at most 2 flowers deep, so the other 3 uses would just be wasted.

So I have taken some screenshots over time, so you can get an idea of the progress. I would estimate my island is maybe...25-30% covered?

this was when I first "committed" to doing this, watering every day.

less than a month later, things are in full swing... ALL HAIL THE CREEP

And some super recent ones:

So the western edge here is completely filled from the bottom to just where the cliffs start. That's where the original purple meadow was.

A bit more easterly, you can sort of see how full this one is. That upper level you can see in the back is 90% full at this point. When it fills in, I will put a cluster up in the 3rd level.

I grabbed a short video of me running around but while Switch's method for sending pics to your phone is good, it's not so great for sending video, it seems.

Once I get a bit further along I can post a dream code or something. :)

Anyway - thought y'all might enjoy me slowly destroying my island over time.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I just checked my total in-game time that I've clocked up having played since maybe a week after the game was released.

3,940 hours.

I may have a problem.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I just checked my total in-game time that I've clocked up having played since maybe a week after the game was released.

3,940 hours.

I may have a problem.
lmao, I'm almost at 1,000 hours myself

It's probably the game I've put the most time into in many years.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

3,940 hours.

I may have a problem.

e: wrong thread lmao

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 4, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finally got my golden shovel DIY recipe for helping Gulliver after like 2 years of playing on and off lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7126901706780314926

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

After 2 and a half years, I finally want to start building some roads and pathways to connect all my villager's houses. Does anyone have some kind of template for that? I don't mean custom patterns but something to loosely follow to get decent looking roads and paths.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tonight was the Third Annual Fireworks Marathon in my town!

The contestants were Oliva, Annalise, Raymond, Cesar and Muffy. Who do you think will win the first race this year?

The race begins:
https://twitter.com/eiba80636022/status/1556454841500647424

The first across the finish line!
https://twitter.com/eiba80636022/status/1556455039501185024

And the stragglers:
https://twitter.com/eiba80636022/status/1556455207512391687

(I wish I could easily splice that all together, but while I've got enough time to set up a whole race track lined with gyroid spectators, I ain't got that kind of video editing patience.)

Here's a bonus video of how I set it up:
https://twitter.com/eiba80636022/status/1556455537046274049

The trick is that a villager that's programmed to be in the plaza for the fireworks is programmed to run to the the plaza during fireworks. If you shove them out of the plaza and block their path back in, they'll have to find another way. A charming race around your town is the result, if you set it up right.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lmao that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/animalcrossing/status/1560990041874354176