Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I have to say, I am really loving my Char-Griller Gravity 980. If anyone is considering a new smoker I think it's definitely worth a look.

Yeah those gravity smokers are pretty slick. Costco has the Masterbuilt 800 (without griddle) on sale for $499 in-store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today Woot has a 30" electric smoker by Cuisinart for $130. I remember when equivalent Masterbuilts were that price, now they're up around $200. Anyway, is this worth a roll of the dice? Or avoid at all costs?

Edit: just saw that this one is normally $200+

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lester Shy posted:

Crosspost from the general questions thread:

If it's not the ECB as mentioned, it could be a WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain). Could repurpose parts from them as well.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/burning-questions/where-can-i-find-replacement-parts-for-my-smoker/weber-35558.html

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This question may get me shunned.

For my first foray into smoking, I intend to try a whole spatchcocked chicken. The instructions I've seen say to apply a rub and refrigerate overnight. I am one of those people that does not like chicken skin - how might skinning the thing beforehand affect this? I assume that the skin serves as some sort of barrier normally, but will I be able to manage without it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i would definitely smoke it with the skin on and just pull it off after

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't spatchcock my chickens for smoking anymore. I get better smoke flavor with a whole chicken. They take longer to cook which means more smoke. Spatchcocking is still great for normal grilling though.

I've never heard of smoking a skinless chicken. I imagine it's going to get really dry.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would leave the skin on and just season under it prior to smoking.

And when you remove the skin after smoking, at least post it for free on Craigslist or something so it doesn’t go to waste.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kaddish posted:

I don't spatchcock my chickens for smoking anymore. I get better smoke flavor with a whole chicken. They take longer to cook which means more smoke. Spatchcocking is still great for normal grilling though.

I've never heard of smoking a skinless chicken. I imagine it's going to get really dry.

This. I would truss the chicken (plenty of videos out there - basically tie the whole thing into a football-like shape to help keep the extremities from drying out before the breasts finish cooking) and leave the skin on. Remove the skin afterwards if you must, but it's very different from other chicken skins.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody ever leave their electric smoker completely unattended? Doing my first smoke and gotta pick up the kids from school. I decided to unplug it and finish later. Internet seems a bit divided. I know wife would say unplug it. I should have started first thing!

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody ever leave their electric smoker completely unattended? Doing my first smoke and gotta pick up the kids from school. I decided to unplug it and finish later. Internet seems a bit divided. I know wife would say unplug it. I should have started first thing!

I have a Bradley electric and a Pit Boss pellet grill.

I would never leave the Bradley unattended, because it has a sensor error that will cause it to continuously feed the wood pucks into the water pan. It can burn through $20 of pucks in a few minutes if you don't intercede.

My pellet grill I'm fine leaving for short periods of time if I'm doing low and slow.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

If it's in a place where there's no grass or whatever to catch on fire I would think it's fine but probably best to make sure someone can keep an eye on it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Comb Your Beard posted:

Does it use pellets/chips for heat?

I have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and if I don't have any chips or pellets in it, it's basically just an outdoor Crock-Pot, really.

My mother (and probably wife) would argue that crock pots should not be left unattended but (imo) that's kinda the entire point of the device so . . . live within your risk tolerance where you're comfortable!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I've left my WSM completely unattended multiple times for what it's worth. :shrug:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I have a Masterbuilt electric and I’ve definitely left it running overnight while I slept.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have a Masterbuilt electric and I’ve definitely left it running overnight while I slept.

Oh, yeah, that too. Big same.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This question may get me shunned.

For my first foray into smoking, I intend to try a whole spatchcocked chicken. The instructions I've seen say to apply a rub and refrigerate overnight. I am one of those people that does not like chicken skin - how might skinning the thing beforehand affect this? I assume that the skin serves as some sort of barrier normally, but will I be able to manage without it?

I've done a skinless bird because I was making chicken salad and wanted to just fry up the skin separately. Having done it... I'd keep the skin on. It kind of creates a new skin which is drier than you'll probably want. Just work the seasoning under the skin beforehand and it'll be fine.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did my first time smoking anything. Got the smallest pork butt available at the local Giant. Rubbed with deli mustard, Montreal steak seasoning, Tony's Cajun, Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. Put it in the masterbuilt. 250 F. Used just apple wood from a 4 wood set I got. Had to leave after like 4-5 hours, unplugged. Then when I got home I put it in the oven inside 400 convect. Still took quite a while longer. 195 F internal temp. Cut the crispy exterior with scissors as I pulled it to mix it in with the soft interior.

Questions:
Most of the grease was in the water pan, that expected? Not much on the bottom. Cleaning easy.
When you load chips do you do 2 loads at a time?
How often you add more wood chips? I was thinking every 30 minutes. When I cleaned up the amount of wood ash looked kind of pathetically small. I got about 4 wood loads in. More would have been better.
Kept top vent open the whole time. I think you have it wide open to smoke and close it to finish/concentrate heat?
How about just doing the master built max temp 275 F if the pork shoulder takes long as gently caress?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Did my first time smoking anything. Got the smallest pork butt available at the local Giant. Rubbed with deli mustard, Montreal steak seasoning, Tony's Cajun, Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. Put it in the masterbuilt. 250 F. Used just apple wood from a 4 wood set I got. Had to leave after like 4-5 hours, unplugged. Then when I got home I put it in the oven inside 400 convect. Still took quite a while longer. 195 F internal temp. Cut the crispy exterior with scissors as I pulled it to mix it in with the soft interior.

Questions:
Most of the grease was in the water pan, that expected? Not much on the bottom. Cleaning easy.
When you load chips do you do 2 loads at a time?
How often you add more wood chips? I was thinking every 30 minutes. When I cleaned up the amount of wood ash looked kind of pathetically small. I got about 4 wood loads in. More would have been better.
Kept top vent open the whole time. I think you have it wide open to smoke and close it to finish/concentrate heat?
How about just doing the master built max temp 275 F if the pork shoulder takes long as gently caress?

HOW DID IT TASTE???

-All my grease always ends up in the water pan. Some people like the flavor from the grease dripping on the charcoal.

-Less is more when it comes to smoking wood. Meat only absorbs good smoke flavor for so long. Too much and it will add a bitter taste. For one rack of ribs I’ll usually only add two fist sized chunks at the start of a cook and that’s it. Three chunks for something bigger like a pork butt. I imagine the same principal would stand for an electric smoker using chips, but I’ve never cooked on one of those, so someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

-What’s the deal with the ash? Less ash seems to be a good sign for me. Let’s me know the wood is burning clean and not leaving a bunch of poo poo behind. Also more ash will block airflow.

-On my kettle smokers I usually always leave the top vent full open all the time. Keeps the air moving. Closed vent can also increase bitter smoke flavor. The only time I touch my top vent is to close it fully with all the other vents when I want to extinguish remaining coals after a cook.

-You can do pork shoulder at 275. Even if you start off lower plenty of people bump the temp up to 275 to help push through the stall faster.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

So my neighbor was downsizing, and I can no longer feed my ravenous kids from my Weber in one shot, so I got an offset smoker for 40€.

I've smoked various things on my kettle grill before (pork shoulder mostly). Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? Obvious leaks, of course, but anything else? I guess probably feed it with lump charcoal and then whatever wood pieces I want to use? I have a ThermoWorks dual probe thermometer, so probably put one probe in the middle for ambient temp and the other in the meat on the far side/move it around?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nope! Used grill is preseasoned and an excellent score. Just know that an offset smoker requires you to move meat around to cook evenly. It will be hottest at the fire box and vise versa on the chimney side. You'll have to spin it or put the thicker side of whatever you're making towards the firebox.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

HOW DID IT TASTE???

Definitely good. My old way to cook this cut was pressure cooker. So much faster but not as flavorful. And the fat on the top doesn't render lovely. I think the hot oven finish may have wiped out a bit of smoky nuance.

So far done sandwiches with potato bun, muenster cheese and coleslaw and also put directly in ramen.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 3, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I didn't even use the chip tray when I had my MES, I just used a smoke tube with pellets. Worked well.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Definitely good. My old way to cook this cut was pressure cooker. So much faster but not as flavorful. And the fat on the top doesn't render lovely. I think the hot oven finish may have wiped out a bit of smoky nuance.

My pressure cooker does an amazing job at replicating slow-braised meat in the oven with some wine and veggies, but there’s just no substitute for actually smoking meat.

As far as finishing in the oven, after it’s been on the smoker all day there’s no shame in finishing it in the oven. Especially if your coals are cooling off and you don’t feel like starting up another chimney. Or if you’re on a deadline and you need power to the finish. I’ve put plenty of pork shoulders in the oven for the last hour or two. I think it’s pretty common.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My best buddy back home had been furnishing me with stories of sous-vide pulled pork for the last two years now, and I actually had the chance to try a serving of his last year.
All told, it was pretty decent, but it didn't entirely live up to the absolute cream-of-the-crop I expected from pulled pork.

So when my old man offered me his sous-vide stick two weekends ago, I went "You know what, why the gently caress not?" and tried my hand at it.
First try last weekend didn't yield the results I was looking for. Went with the recommendation of my buddy to go 24h at 64C/150F and finished the butt on the smoker for 2h.
Had rubbed the butt with my own concoction previously, and the taste came out excellent, but the consistency wasn't on point. Meat was juicy as hell, but still pretty tough to pull.

I went "uh, well loving duh, of course it's still tough to pull, the collagen didn't break down" and put on my dunce cap, because I had somehow expected "something else" to do the magic when I'm immersion-cooking pork for a full 24 hours.

So I went in for a second try this weekend, again with a small prototype-butt of3.5lbs/1.6kg (which is actually the normal size you get in the store here unless you actually go to your trusted butcher), but this time did 24h at 73C/165F, then basted it in some light BBQ-sauce I drew from the drip-juice, and finished it off at around 150C/300F for another 90 mins.

Bark wasn't as developed as if I'd run it for the whole length on the smoker (as expected), but the taste was amazing, and the consistency was absolutely ridiculous. Even better than if I'd gone full-smoker, I'd almost say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn5ls1Rec0o

Overall, I'm impressed by the results, even as someone that was originally fiercely-opposed to sous-vide "cheating" (for absolutely no reason whatsoever).
You don't come as close to the thoroughly-permeated smoke flavor as you would when you run the thing entirely on the smoker and the bark is much less aggressive, but at the end of the day, the taste and consistency were pretty drat good.
Selling point is definitely the hands-off approach. Rub meat, vacuum meat, throw in tub for 24 hours, top off water twice, finish on smoker for 2h. Definitely an option for when I can't get up at 3AM to fire up the smoker in order to serve food to guests in the evening.

Might do another run soon-ish and see if I can't get more smoke-flavor into it by reducing the sous-vide time and just increasing the "finishing period" on the smoker.

Also made a bunch of ribs that came out amazing after 6 hours as usual:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You could also add a few drops of liquid smoke into the sous vide bag.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My best buddy back home had been furnishing me...

Since I also see you in the Deutschgoons thread, where do you typically source wood for smoking? I (also?) live in Bavaria, but far enough outside the major population centers where even the Baumarkts have pretty limited selection of smoking woods.

Just hit up Amazon?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ABen posted:

Since I also see you in the Deutschgoons thread, where do you typically source wood for smoking? I (also?) live in Bavaria, but far enough outside the major population centers where even the Baumarkts have pretty limited selection of smoking woods.

Just hit up Amazon?

I've worked my way through a couple of brands, most off Amazon, but the best wood chips for my requirements are the Mr.Gardener brand that i get from the local Hagebau.

They're not too pricey and they have all the basic kinds one would want, beech, hickory, apple, and mesquite, available as proper wood chips or Räuchermehl.

Keep in mind I'm doing some under-the-radar stealth smoking, so I do brief, repeated smoke periods where I chuck in a handful of chips that are relatively uniform enough that i can predict exactly how much "neighborhood-annoyance" I'm generating.

If you're in a more rural area of the CSU-hellscape and can get away with some proper smoke emissions, I'd recommend looking at a brand with somewhat chunkier wood. Alas, i don't really have any experience with those.

If you're fine with intermediately-sized wood chips, i can absolutely recommend the Mr. Gardener brand.

Also, post more in the Deutschgoon thread so I'm not the only one with an apparent slow-cooking addiction.
:colbert:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 5, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Keep in mind I'm doing some under-the-radar stealth smoking, so I do brief, repeated smoke periods where I chuck in a handful of chips that are relatively uniform enough that i can predict exactly how much "neighborhood-annoyance" I'm generating.

The first time I smoked anything was in my lovely old apartment behind an Italian restaurant. My smoke caused their fire alarm to go off and the restaurant got evacuated :q:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m smoking a full brisket for Father’s Day, which is currently 13 days away. How early should I buy and start to prep it? I’ve never done one before, gonna hang it overnight in the PBC. Usually I would dry brine uncovered in the fridge, I’m just not sure how long I should go for a brisket.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I’m smoking a full brisket for Father’s Day, which is currently 13 days away. How early should I buy and start to prep it? I’ve never done one before, gonna hang it overnight in the PBC. Usually I would dry brine uncovered in the fridge, I’m just not sure how long I should go for a brisket.

Doing my first brisket this week. So I have the same question.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

To both of you:

Split the point and the flat and smoke em separately. This will lead to better overall cook, as the flat will be closer to a uniform thickness, and the point will be the point.

Dry brine/put your dalmation rub on about 48 hours before you plan on serving, so you can get an overnight rest (you can go more, but not a big deal).
Start your smoke before you go to bed the night before.
It's always easier to hold a done brisket for service than it is to rush one to the end.

if you want a more detailed write up:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style/

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I do a brisket I dry brine for 24 hours then rinse it off. Inject with beef broth to get salt in deep, wet the surface (I use the same broth) and rub it with a beef rub (you can just use salt and pepper if youre lazy). I cut as much fat out as I can including the fat that connects the flat and point without separating the two. Smoke at 225, adding wood chunks every 30 mins for the first two hours, then letting it just go. I do not wrap and let it go naked through the whole stall all the way until 203. I wrap it afterwards for about an hour so the bark doesnt turn to mush, pull the point off the flat (you shouldnt need a knife, it should just pull right off) and cut thinly against the grain. It's a pretty simple recipe based on the Amazing Ribs cook, just lazier. I start around midnight the night before and serve for dinner the next day. You could serve for lunch if you get a small enough brisket (10ish pounds untrimmed).

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm all about chuck roast over brisket these days unless I'm going to feed a gathering. No, it's not as good but it's close enough and cheap!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Kaddish posted:

I'm all about chuck roast over brisket these days unless I'm going to feed a gathering. No, it's not as good but it's close enough and cheap!

Chuck roast works well as burnt ends, if you've never tried that. I improvised mine by using trimmed chuck steaks tied together as whole chuck roasts aren't really a thing here.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I wet age my packer brisket for up to 3 weeks ahead of time, trim well and salt and pepper the night before.

Start at 6am, let her rip at 275 to 300. Done by 4pm, rest wrapped tight in a cooler. Eat at 6. Easy.

I trim pretty lean to get a uniform thickness but don't separate.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Y'all are wild with your brisket prep! If I'm feeding a big group, I'll do the full packer. Trim all the excess fat off the point, leave about 1/4" on the flat. Dry brine overnight. Throw on the smoker. Leave enough time for a rest in a cooler before serving.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lawnie posted:

If you start tomorrow you should be done in time

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

NomNomNom posted:

I wet age my packer brisket for up to 3 weeks ahead of time, trim well and salt and pepper the night before.

Start at 6am, let her rip at 275 to 300. Done by 4pm, rest wrapped tight in a cooler. Eat at 6. Easy.

I trim pretty lean to get a uniform thickness but don't separate.

You're brave. I would be so furious with myself if I tried to wet age then opened it up and found it spoiled.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It's always a bit nerve wracking. They just definitely smell a bit cheesy when you first open the package but it goes away quickly.

I really dislike the smell vacuum packed pork has when it's first opened (fresh, not aged).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I trim and salt and pepper two days before serving, start cooking the day before serving, and wrap and rest in the oven on a keep warm setting until ready to go.

Sometimes this means that I'm resting for 12+ hours. That's fine, if you wrap with tallow it'll stay nice and moist for you. The oven will keep it at a safe resting temp without cooking.