Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

I seem to remember in high school my best friends little sister would put the cordless phone in a Ziploc bag and take 3-5 hour showers and take conference calls in there talking about spice girls endlessly

He would come to my house (two streets over) to use our bathroom periodically as a result

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I don’t want to use that bathroom it’s dirty. Yeah it full of your clothes cause you don’t pick up. Build a concrete stall if you have teens.

Hmm this triggered a lot of repressed memories about a teenage girls bathroom I once saw in high school, like three years of makeup caked... Everywhere. :psyduck:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sanity check. Bathroom ceiling is going to be repainted. This is an ideal time to replace the noisy 20 year old bathroom fan with a Panasonic right? I assume the dimensions won't be exactly the same as the generic Broan in there now, so the pro who is painting can touch up what needs to be done after they replace the fan, whether it's a bit of drywall mud or paint etc.

Part of me is resisting the change to a quieter fan because a louder one covers up noises for those who are pee shy! :lol:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure if Panasonic offers this, but get the ceiling fan with the built in space heater + heat lamp while you're in there doing surgery. This is apparently common in California but I haven't seen it elsewhere for whatever reason

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hadlock posted:

Not sure if Panasonic offers this, but get the ceiling fan with the built in space heater + heat lamp while you're in there doing surgery. This is apparently common in California but I haven't seen it elsewhere for whatever reason

Ehhh I get the appeal, but I am avoiding gimmicks I think and just looking for a basic model maybe with a humidity sensor. I still need to change the on/off switch to the Leviton timer switch I bought (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Preset-Resistive-Inductive-60-Minute-Countdown-Timer-White-R22-LTB60-1LW/316126725)

It's a small master bath, I already have a basic ceramic space heater on the floor that works fine. I think of it like a modem and a router, I never liked the all-in-one gateways since I like being able to switch one or the other if needed.

But regardless if you have a fan model recommendation, can't hurt to consider it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 2, 2022

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

raggedphoto posted:

A 1,500 sq. ft. house with 3 bathrooms seems excessive.

I just looked closer, and for some reason they list "3 bath" at the top and then in the detail section they break it out with "full baths = 2, half baths = 1, main floor baths = 1". So really the third bath is just a toilet and sink on the main floor so you and your guests don't have to go upstairs to use the bathroom every time. Also it divides the house more into "public" and "private" spaces. It does make sense through that lens.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inner Light posted:

Ehhh I get the appeal, but I am avoiding gimmicks I think and just looking for a basic model maybe with a humidity sensor. I still need to change the on/off switch to the Leviton timer switch I bought (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Preset-Resistive-Inductive-60-Minute-Countdown-Timer-White-R22-LTB60-1LW/316126725)

It's a small master bath, I already have a basic ceramic space heater on the floor that works fine. I think of it like a modem and a router, I never liked the all-in-one gateways since I like being able to switch one or the other if needed.

But regardless if you have a fan model recommendation, can't hurt to consider it.

I just installed a Panasonic FV-0511VF1 in my bathroom a week ago (along with all of the ducting in the ceiling and attic space), and am very happy with it, though I'd probably be happy with just about anything since this is the first time in 81 years this bathroom has had an exhaust fan. I have it set to 80cfm and it is pretty quiet, you could probably bump it up to 110 if you are wanting it to be a little noisy, assuming you have enough make-up air.

Edit: For some reason that model seems to be out of stock everywhere right now, FV-0811RQ1 seems to be basically identical except for the ability to choose the 50cfm speed.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 2, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You need a dedicated 20A circuit for these so they're a real pain in the dick to retrofit if you can't run that easily. I installed one and getting an electrician to hook that part up is sitting on my backlog.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sirotan posted:

I just installed a Panasonic FV-0511VF1 in my bathroom a week ago (along with all of the ducting in the ceiling and attic space), and am very happy with it, though I'd probably be happy with just about anything since this is the first time in 81 years this bathroom has had an exhaust fan. I have it set to 80cfm and it is pretty quiet, you could probably bump it up to 110 if you are wanting it to be a little noisy, assuming you have enough make-up air.

Edit: For some reason that model seems to be out of stock everywhere right now, FV-0811RQ1 seems to be basically identical except for the ability to choose the 50cfm speed.

What happens if you don't have enough makeup air, or rather what are the symptoms that would make you notice you don't have enough?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Motronic posted:

You obviously don't have a wife and two teenage girls. Because I assure you, a 1:1 bathroom ratio might not even be enough. I don't care what size the house it. If most of the floor space has to be bathrooms that's preferable to the alternative.

Fair enough!

Sirotan posted:

I am about to install an exhaust fan in our 75 year old house that has never had one before but to be fair older homes leaked so much air they basically dried themselves out.

Inner Light posted:

What happens if you don't have enough makeup air, or rather what are the symptoms that would make you notice you don't have enough?

My understanding is bad things can happen with gas creeping into the house from appliances but I though it was mostly a concern with range hoods that pull over 400 CFM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIqKGsF2ZA

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inner Light posted:

Honestly I don't know and probably should not have even mentioned that, lol. Guessing it is probably fine at 110cfm.

raggedphoto posted:

I am about to install an exhaust fan in our 75 year old house that has never had one before but to be fair older homes leaked so much air they basically dried themselves out.

See this is what I thought too but after buying a CO2 meter I've learned my house isn't quite as leaky as I had thought, or hoped. Now I gotta figure out how I want to handle getting fresh air indoors in the summer beyond opening a window once a day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Look into an ERV or HRV if you're in a cold climate. They exchange air with the outdoors to keep your house fresh.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SpartanIvy posted:

Look into an ERV or HRV if you're in a cold climate. They exchange air with the outdoors to keep your house fresh.

Yeah I will probably end up installing an HRV. Just not sure if I want to install that this/next year or wait until the rest of the HVAC needs to be replaced.

I am kinda curious to see how much having the bathroom fan might help with the stack effect, maybe I can just run that for an hour a day to help things a bit.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Sirotan posted:

Honestly I don't know and probably should not have even mentioned that, lol. Guessing it is probably fine at 110cfm.

See this is what I thought too but after buying a CO2 meter I've learned my house isn't quite as leaky as I had thought, or hoped. Now I gotta figure out how I want to handle getting fresh air indoors in the summer beyond opening a window once a day.

Our house has new windows and blown-in insulation so I am sure we are having CO2 issues as well.

Here are two of the rooms that we removed 4-5 layers of wallpaper, skim-coated, sanded and primed! I was great to remove all the rosin paper and see the floors we just refinished again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd get that painter's tape peeled pronto. The longer you leave it, the more likely it is to rip up a ragged edge of paint along with it... and the sun accelerates that process.

It's best to peel it after the paint has had an hour or so to dry and no longer. If the paint is still soft and tacky, that's the ideal time - you won't splatter paint, but you'll also not rip a ragged line.

https://tapemanblue.com/blogs/tips-tricks/how-to-remove-tape-after-painting

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Homeowner gripe: I'm so sick of tool companies discontinuing cordless tool lines.

I've got an assortment of batteries from DeWalt, Toro, and Worx. Only the DeWalt line is still being produced and only because I got that cordless drill/screwdriver set for Christmas last year.

I'll probably just continue to buy into that since one of the Worx batteries I've got is dying but the Toro battery just feels like a waste. I didn't use it much (hedge trimmers) and it had really great battery life. I'd happily buy into their leaf blowers and string trimmers if they just had kept making the 24V versions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

raggedphoto posted:

Our house has new windows and blown-in insulation so I am sure we are having CO2 issues as well.

Here are two of the rooms that we removed 4-5 layers of wallpaper, skim-coated, sanded and primed! I was great to remove all the rosin paper and see the floors we just refinished again.

Hell yeah, looks great. I did basically the exact same thing, and it was sooooooo satisfying to remove the Ram Board from the floors as I went room to room and completed everything.

Too bad it is still down in the dining room 2 years later. :negative:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I've got an assortment of batteries from DeWalt, Toro, and Worx. Only the DeWalt line is still being produced and only because I got that cordless drill/screwdriver set for Christmas last year.

No, it's because DeWalt has only changed battery format/compatibility exactly once, when going from nimh to lion batteries.

This is typical of more trade/pro level tools.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Thwomp posted:

Homeowner gripe: I'm so sick of tool companies discontinuing cordless tool lines.

I'll probably just continue to buy into that since one of the Worx batteries I've got is dying but the Toro battery just feels like a waste. I didn't use it much (hedge trimmers) and it had really great battery life. I'd happily buy into their leaf blowers and string trimmers if they just had kept making the 24V versions.

First string trimmer/blower I bought were cheap Craftsman. They discontinued that battery technology. Kind of expected it, but was still annoyed.

Second string trimmer/blower I bought were Kobalt. They discontinued that battery technology. Wasn't expecting that since they had a full line of tools that took that battery.

So on the Kobalt I'm already down to 1 battery because the other one died, and when this one goes I'll have to find replacements for my $400 worth of tools that are maybe 3 years old.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Inner Light posted:

Part of me is resisting the change to a quieter fan because a louder one covers up noises for those who are pee shy! :lol:

No lie our master bathroom is semi loud and annoying. Mid giant poo poo I was like...that might be on purpose so the people in bed don't have to hear one another taking a particularly loud dump.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your local TV repair shop (do those still exist?) ought to be able to swap in new 18650 lithium cells into your old battery. Quality Samsung or Panasonic cells are $3-5 each and most non-leaf blower/lawn mower tools only use 2-7 cells

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Leperflesh posted:

I'd get that painter's tape peeled pronto. The longer you leave it, the more likely it is to rip up a ragged edge of paint along with it... and the sun accelerates that process.

It's best to peel it after the paint has had an hour or so to dry and no longer. If the paint is still soft and tacky, that's the ideal time - you won't splatter paint, but you'll also not rip a ragged line.

Thanks for the heads up, tape came off right after the photo was taken but yeah it was on there too long.

Sirotan posted:

Hell yeah, looks great. I did basically the exact same thing, and it was sooooooo satisfying to remove the Ram Board from the floors as I went room to room and completed everything.

Too bad it is still down in the dining room 2 years later. :negative:

Thanks! Hopefully our living spaces will be mostly done by the end of the year but my timing has been way wrong so far...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

I needed to know that! Thanks.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Inner Light posted:

My father in law took it upon himself to replace our half bath fan with a much quieter one and I didn’t really think about it til later but noise is probably the most-valuable contribution of a fan in a guest bathroom.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

DaveSauce posted:

First string trimmer/blower I bought were cheap Craftsman. They discontinued that battery technology. Kind of expected it, but was still annoyed.

Second string trimmer/blower I bought were Kobalt. They discontinued that battery technology. Wasn't expecting that since they had a full line of tools that took that battery.

So on the Kobalt I'm already down to 1 battery because the other one died, and when this one goes I'll have to find replacements for my $400 worth of tools that are maybe 3 years old.

Buy the Costco sets. They'll take returns three years later if the manufacturer is the one who bricks the product, even with heavy use.

I just did that with a router that Netgear discontinued servicing after bricking (the old Orbi model, which was otherwise fantastic), and a Roomba. All this expensive stuff that I have to trust companies not to gently caress up I buy from Costco.

You too can plan for planned obsolescence!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Thwomp posted:

Every one of these batteries will have no-name replacements available online. Batteries + Bulbs will also swap the cells for you if you bring them a battery pack. I am still rocking a bunch of dewalt tools that started as 18v nicad. Just replaced the cells in my 10 year old mower.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Well gently caress me, first big "gently caress you" in home ownership.

We have an area around one of our second story windows that needs to be repointed, but we were slow rolling the project until later this summer. Clearly that's not going to happen because a bunch of water just dumped in through/around the window frame during a really, really bad storm for the first time since we've owned the property. Part of this is our neighbors loving horrible tree clogged up our downspout and the lowest point of the roof (where the downspout is) is right over the window, so rain was SHEETING down (it was like an insane waterfall) directly onto the brick, but this definitely just moved this to the top of the list. What a shitshow. The water was dripping through the blinds and I took them off after the storm was over, and probably all of the water came through a tiny little hole at the top, and then the volume was so high it forced itself around the frame.

I guess the "good" news is that its not an unexpected expense. The plaster in that area is already hosed and needs to be replaced anyway, so it getting soaked a few times isn't going to make a difference in the long run, but I'm definitely going to have to pay a premium to get the masonry done ASAP (especially because our good mason who is cheap and quick isn't available until July).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BigHead posted:

Buy the Costco sets. They'll take returns three years later if the manufacturer is the one who bricks the product, even with heavy use.

I just did that with a router that Netgear discontinued servicing after bricking (the old Orbi model, which was otherwise fantastic), and a Roomba. All this expensive stuff that I have to trust companies not to gently caress up I buy from Costco.

You too can plan for planned obsolescence!

I was thinking Ego next time. We'll see!

KS posted:

Every one of these batteries will have no-name replacements available online. Batteries + Bulbs will also swap the cells for you if you bring them a battery pack. I am still rocking a bunch of dewalt tools that started as 18v nicad. Just replaced the cells in my 10 year old mower.

Yeah, looks like it. I'm not a big fan of knock-offs based on experience with replacing phone batteries, and the prices are ridiculous, though that may be a supply chain issue.

I did some digging and apparently as part of picking up Ego tools, Lowe's had to get rid of the 80V Kobalt stuff in store, but looks like it's all still online. I think they still have the 40v stuff, though. So I'm... less pissed, I suppose.

In other news, we have some company:

Right by the garage... noticed them a few days ago while the kids were playing in the driveway. Heard some rustling... first thought snakes, since they've been around that area before, but looked closer and saw a bunch of fur among the leaf litter... so then we thought mice. Carefully moved the leaves and found these little guys.

Left them covered up, but noticed today they were uncovered again, so I decided to take a picture since it wouldn't require harassing them. Still alive, so mama bunny must have left them uncovered I guess?

Google tells me that they'll be gone in a few weeks, so it's not worth calling anyone to have them relocated. Just leave them be, it seems! Only downside is playing around there with the kids will be off limits for a bit, and the dog especially can't go near that area...

edit: whoops, a thought occurs... the neighbors across the street have an outdoor cat, who has already graced us with several piles of feathers scattered around our lawn in the year they've lived here. Welp, we'll see what happens!

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 3, 2022

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

DaveSauce posted:

I was thinking Ego next time. We'll see!

Yeah, looks like it. I'm not a big fan of knock-offs based on experience with replacing phone batteries, and the prices are ridiculous, though that may be a supply chain issue.

I did some digging and apparently as part of picking up Ego tools, Lowe's had to get rid of the 80V Kobalt stuff in store, but looks like it's all still online. I think they still have the 40v stuff, though. So I'm... less pissed, I suppose.

In other news, we have some company:

Right by the garage... noticed them a few days ago while the kids were playing in the driveway. Heard some rustling... first thought snakes, since they've been around that area before, but looked closer and saw a bunch of fur among the leaf litter... so then we thought mice. Carefully moved the leaves and found these little guys.

Left them covered up, but noticed today they were uncovered again, so I decided to take a picture since it wouldn't require harassing them. Still alive, so mama bunny must have left them uncovered I guess?

Google tells me that they'll be gone in a few weeks, so it's not worth calling anyone to have them relocated. Just leave them be, it seems! Only downside is playing around there with the kids will be off limits for a bit, and the dog especially can't go near that area...

edit: whoops, a thought occurs... the neighbors across the street have an outdoor cat, who has already graced us with several piles of feathers scattered around our lawn in the year they've lived here. Welp, we'll see what happens!

We've been getting rabbit burrows and baby bunnies in our yard the last couple years. One of the joys of home ownership, even in the suburbs we get a nice little mix of rabbits, birds, skunks, possums, groundhogs and an occasional fox. I get a simple joy of scrolling through my ring camera to see who visited us last night.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I had to clean/repair the chimes today after installing my replacement doorbell. Popped off the cover on the chime unit, and got a beautiful taste of 2+ paint jobs ago, where someone had painted the place deep grey. The opposite wall was, based on a previous discovery, poo poo-brown.

One of the POs here lived a deep grey life with poo poo-brown accent walls. :wtc:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

tomapot posted:

We've been getting rabbit burrows and baby bunnies in our yard the last couple years. One of the joys of home ownership, even in the suburbs we get a nice little mix of rabbits, birds, skunks, possums, groundhogs and an occasional fox. I get a simple joy of scrolling through my ring camera to see who visited us last night.

Yeah we got a poo poo ton of rabbits around here. Been 6 years and this is the first time we've found babies. I'm sure they're everywhere, just not usually so close to the house.

But in addition to the neighbors cat, we do have some hawks that hang around as well... So these little guys better learn to run quick!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah we got a poo poo ton of rabbits around here. Been 6 years and this is the first time we've found babies. I'm sure they're everywhere, just not usually so close to the house.

But in addition to the neighbors cat, we do have some hawks that hang around as well... So these little guys better learn to run quick!

A few years ago I saw the cutest little bun and he ran away from me directly into a basement window well. I put on a welding glove and rescued him, which was extremely interesting for my two cats. I let him loose outside further from the window well.

My neighbor texted me the next day to be careful because her dog flushed out a baby bunny and it was in my grass. She was afraid I'd get him with the mower. That baby bun had a death wish.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

raggedphoto posted:

Bravo, lookin sharp

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The amount of rabbits we have this year is noticeably higher. I think they've started a combine under my shed. You're guaranteed to see at least two every time you look at the yard.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

I had to clean/repair the chimes today after installing my replacement doorbell. Popped off the cover on the chime unit, and got a beautiful taste of 2+ paint jobs ago, where someone had painted the place deep grey. The opposite wall was, based on a previous discovery, poo poo-brown.

One of the POs here lived a deep grey life with poo poo-brown accent walls. :wtc:

I like earth tones a lot and that doesn't sound too awful, plus a poo poo accent wall is a great conversation sharter :imunfunny:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

No bunnies near me but we do have an opossum who seems to have forgiven me for ripping out his old house under the dilapidated shed in my backyard. It likes to scare me when I’m taking the trash out at night :3:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

StormDrain posted:

A few years ago I saw the cutest little bun and he ran away from me directly into a basement window well. I put on a welding glove and rescued him, which was extremely interesting for my two cats. I let him loose outside further from the window well.

My neighbor texted me the next day to be careful because her dog flushed out a baby bunny and it was in my grass. She was afraid I'd get him with the mower. That baby bun had a death wish.

Rabbits have less of a survival strategy and more of a breeding strategy.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We have tons of rabbits and any given time you can look in the backyard and see a couple munching on grass. They eat the poo poo out of the hostas too.

Two years in a row a pregnant bunny has dug a hole to have her babies in the middle of the front friggin lawn. Big holes. We have a lawn service and I have to put out stakes around the hole so they don’t get wholesale slaughtered by the mower.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DaveSauce posted:

If you have a lawn that you cut with a mower: don’t let your grass get too high. Bunnies will nest right on the ground, in tall grass. Please don’t ask me how I learned this.

BonerGhost posted:

Rabbits have less of a survival strategy and more of a breeding strategy.

Years ago, when I still let my cats out, the one cat caught a bunny & brought it in the house. Turned it back outside, where he was caught again & had one of his ears mangled.

I took him about a half-mile away & turned the dumb fucker loose.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid our dog would run in front of the mower and drop her ball so we would be obligated to stop and throw the ball for her. She also waged an unceasing war of extermination against the small critters. One day instead of dropping a ball in front of the mower, she dropped several dead baby groundhogs.