Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

My most recent tome purchases arrived yesterday. Not a ton of new lore in the Nighthaunt but the DoK one has some really amazing plot updates that fully commit to us being in the Oh No phase of Morathi’s genius plan,

In no particular order:
The leader of the Kraith sect publicly declared her a false goddess and Morathi had to personally kill her
A hardliner group called the Crone Heralds has formed an underground resistance to her built around the prophecies of Morai-Heg
She no longer trusts her spy network because the Khailebron have been heavily influenced by the Heralds
Bloodwrack Medusae explicitly aren’t originally Scathborn, they’re Witch Aelves transformed by the power of the Shadow Queen half of her and explicitly loyal to the Shadow Queen
Which wouldn’t be a problem except the Shadow Queen is explicitly developing her own free will
Van Brecht and a bunch of the Anvils have sworn never to rest or accept honors until Anvilgard is free, despite there being a temporary truce between Sigmar and Morathi
Oh and after Morathi got mad at losing a fistfight to Kragnos, the Shadow Queen took off solo to demand an enraged rematch
And Morathi didn’t notice until someone told her

That's all pretty cool info. Particularly the parts where Morathi and the Shadow Queen are increasingly dividing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

My most recent tome purchases arrived yesterday. Not a ton of new lore in the Nighthaunt but the DoK one has some really amazing plot updates that fully commit to us being in the Oh No phase of Morathi’s genius plan,

I've never really engaged with the AoS fluff but I remember Morathi and Malekith having the classic recurring dark lord problem in old whfb. Like every big event in their back story was some variation on:
-set up everything perfectly, overwhelming force, treachery/surprise, couldn't possibly lose
- invade your good guy enemies, crush resistance, win some battles, all seems lost for the goodies
- forces defeated by pluck or ingenuity of heroes
- lose the final duel because of your lack of true dedication/bravery/commitment relative to aforementioned heroes
- cowardly slink off, abandoning your forces and vowing revenge.

And this is all inevitable if the villainous big bads are recurring characters, and it doesn't make them very good protagonists in my opinion. No one really wants to see their army led by Malekith in the wya they'd envision their own custom general as their avatar on the tabletop. Cause you know that ultimately he's a prick who will gently caress it all up like he's done so many times before.

Then they did the end times thing and it turns out the villainous gobshite was the rightful king of the elves all along, who knew?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The gimmick this time is she got everything she ever wanted and pulled off the full jump to becoming a god...and now she's having to solve the problems that come from being the dog that caught the semi truck.

e: and is very, very bad at doing so.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its also more interesting seeing her have an EXTREMELY tenuous alliance with the "heroes" than having her be an outright villain

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

One of the greatest things about AoS is the way the different Grand Alliances interact with each other and among themselves. I mean, Order is not always the good guys, they just want to build civilization and are against (sometimes) the other Alliances, especially Chaos. I mean, the Idoneth are basically soul-vampires that raid coastal towns and still are part of Order.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

On one hand I'm not the biggest fan of things having to be morally gray. On the other hand, even "bad good guys" tend to have at least some level of sympathetic traits that allow you to empathize. Also Aos avoids "hard man making hard choices" narrative of 40k. Every time someone tries to "hard man" it backfires, while every time people get down and work together it is at least a partial success

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Getting some zombies done

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

These have got a classic He Man / She Ra vibe to them and I loving love it

Then you're going to love the rest of the scheme I'm painting

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/03/find-strength-in-numbers-with-battletome-skavens-new-clan-based-battle-traits/

Skaven getting a more modular approach.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Just let us bring clan battleline if we have a hero in our army and this will be good

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

It is hard to figure all this out with the limited information, but I am glad to see new mechanics. This seems to lean towards the Skaven clans being a bit more flexible. Let's hope that's the case!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does that read like you can spend a cp to max your run and then use that maxed run for everyone? Or does a roll have to take place?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Has there been a book yet that hasn’t had a That Needs A FAQ in the previews

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Deified Data posted:

Does that read like you can spend a cp to max your run and then use that maxed run for everyone? Or does a roll have to take place?

At the double days it changes a run roll to a 6, so I don't see why it couldn't. Could use a faq to clarify, yeah, but it'd be pretty sweet to have an entire army auto run 6. This ability seems like its pretty powerful, it's not just a turn 1 thing, and if you roll hot for your first charge you could do some wacky poo poo across the board. Plus a universal army pile-in rules could be good for positioning

GIRL BRAINS fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 3, 2022

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Is there a rule against piling in multiple times? If not, does this mean every skaven unit(after the first) can pile in twice every turn?

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Ristolaz posted:

Is there a rule against piling in multiple times? If not, does this mean every skaven unit(after the first) can pile in twice every turn?

I think most fight twice/first/last rules specify in the text of the specific ability how they limit it, I don't think the core rules say one way or another how many times a unit can pile in and fight in a phase or turn. You could technically do three pile-ins in a turn with death frenzy as well.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Genghis Cohen posted:

I've never really engaged with the AoS fluff but I remember Morathi and Malekith having the classic recurring dark lord problem in old whfb. Like every big event in their back story was some variation on:
-set up everything perfectly, overwhelming force, treachery/surprise, couldn't possibly lose
- invade your good guy enemies, crush resistance, win some battles, all seems lost for the goodies
- lose the final duel because of your lack of true dedication/bravery/commitment relative to aforementioned heroes

And this is all inevitable if the villainous big bads are recurring characters, and it doesn't make them very good protagonists in my opinion. No one really wants to see their army led by Malekith in the wya they'd envision their own custom general as their avatar on the tabletop. Cause you know that ultimately he's a prick who will gently caress it all up like he's done so many times before.

Then they did the end times thing and it turns out the villainous gobshite was the rightful king of the elves all along, who knew?

The two times Malekith invaded in the novel series (Tyrion and Teclis trilogy, and Defenders of Ulthuan series) he got defeated because of the good guys taking advantage of his hardcoded problems. In the first invasion Malekith was actually on the field with his main army and Teclis figured out how to 're-activate' the flames of Asyuran in his body, basically threatening to cook him alive again if he didn't retreat. The second time Malekith was leading the sea-part of his invasion while his main army was led by Morathi elsewhere, and Morathi's dumb dumb dumb plan to stop the Vortex meant all the Dragons woke up and curbstomped his naval fleet, forcing him to retreat again.

Losing multiple times does seem to be a thing for him though, but that second time was totally his mom's fault. Without the Vortex destabilizing, no dragons means his sea invasion would have worked.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I bought some kairic acolytes for my tzeentch army and was wondering if it was worth giving them any alternate weapons or keeping them all sword and shield. The bird that hurt wizards is tempting but I worry they'll be too fragile

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 4, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Lucinice posted:

So I bought some kairic acolytes for my tzeentch army and was wondering if it was worth giving them any alternate weapons or keeping them all sword and shield. The bird that hurt wizards is tempting but I worry they'll be too fragile

Models with scroll or birb can still take sword and board. Guys with glaives are still carrying shields so only time you are replacing shield is when giving them dual weapons.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Models with scroll or birb can still take sword and board. Guys with glaives are still carrying shields so only time you are replacing shield is when giving them dual weapons.

Ah okay the book didn't make it totally clear. So pretty much no reason not to take those options.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Genghis Cohen posted:

The realms are large, incomprehensibly large.

The big bads should have a lot of space to succeed in their plans with little or dire repercussions if the writers want to do it that way. Since the timeline advances each edition it really doesn't really matter if someone wins. They're only unlikely to permanently kill off a named character with a model. It would be funny to me to see "Nagash is not available in this edition while he regenerates" or he takes a major cut to his power.

The writers could spend several editions with the thrust being the conquest of one or nearly all realms only to have it all collapse because the conquering force can't supply its armies, or some other non-BS reason. I can dream.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The Tzeentch Acolyte kit is real weird about its composition and I think its one of the only units like that?

IIRC in the previous battletome you couldn't actually build the listed configuration with a single kit or something similar.

that said all upgrades are free anyway

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Anyway here's a Mourngul I painted last week.

Lots of pinning, green stuff, then deciding it needed more pins and green stuff.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That a resin beasty? Impressive either way

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Marmaduke! posted:

That a resin beasty? Impressive either way

Thanks, it is resin. Not too difficult to paint similar to assembling spirit hosts it's "glue one piece today, glue the next piece tomorrow."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/07/organised-play-returns-claim-glory-and-exclusive-prizes/

Organized Play kits coming for AoS and Underworlds, and we might see a return of the AoS Grand Narrative tourney maybe?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/08/quicker-than-a-flash-the-spiterider-lancers-strike-at-foes-before-they-can-react

Spiterider rules preview for those looking to expand their army of angry trees.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Era of the Beast cover and info for Soulbound.

quote:

The Mortal Realms quake as Kragnos, the End of Empires, escapes his centuries-long imprisonment and rampages across the realms.

Era of the Beast offers players and GMs a chance to follow the ongoing narrative of the Age of Sigmar universe, and brings the timeline forward to the Era of the Beast and the emergence of Kragnos, the End of Empires. This book recounts the events of the Broken Realms saga and updates the lore of major cities and the status of the gods of the realms. Era of the Beast details the lands of Thondia, allowing players to adventure in Ghur, the Realm of Beasts and includes new Archetypes to add to your Soulbound game. Lastly, from the swamps of the realms come the terrifying Kruleboyz — twisted, swamp dwelling Orruks who slink from the mire to cut their enemy’s throats! The book includes:

- A complete retelling of the Broken Realms saga
- Advice on playing and running games during the Era of the Beast, and how the emergence of a new god (and the rise of a goddess!) have affected your character
- Detailed information on Ghur, the Realm of Beasts, gives players a whole new realm to explore!
- Ten new Archetypes to play, includingthe Knight-Relictor of the Stormcast Eternals, Warsong Revenant of the Sylvaneth, and the Melusai of the Daughters of Khaine.
- A new Species, complete with their own Archetype — the Draconith, bitter enemies of Kragnos!
- Over a dozen new statblocks for the Kruleboyz give GMs a deadly new foe to unleash on their players.

Yes you can be a Dragon

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I had a hunch that they might've done a dragon archetype with how prominently it shows up, but it almost seems a bit too much to have as playable.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
y'know what gently caress it I am the dragon dude that they're all targeting and yes I think it's cool you can play a dragon

there is no level of dragon pandering I am immune to

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I want them to give us Drogrukh rules. Be the guy who is cooler than Kragnos! The real last survivor, who isn’t a whiny tantrum baby!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Benagain posted:

y'know what gently caress it I am the dragon dude that they're all targeting and yes I think it's cool you can play a dragon

there is no level of dragon pandering I am immune to

I just learned they can also get Loyal Companion Stormcast Eternal. So the rider is the pet instead of the mount, that's great.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I'm going to play dragon and will eat anyone that wants to stop me from doing that

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/12/sunday-preview-dig-for-victory-with-roots-rats-and-rock-drillers/

Lot's of AOS pre-orders next weekend, Sylvaneth and Skaven battle tomes, General's Handbook, new Sylvaneth units, Vanguard Boxes for Skaven, Daughters, Nighthaunt, old battlebox units and dice.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That Vanguard box is what I needed to start a Skaven army, but my favorite unit is still metal... what to do? What to do?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

With how GW does releases, likely the soonest we'll see new Skaven models is with the next edition's battletome. (Outside of a stand-alone release of the assassin) So if you like it, may as well grab it now in metal.

Out of curiosity, what model is it? Some of the metal ones are pretty good. The details and scale are good, they're just heavy.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Out of curiosity, what model is it? Some of the metal ones are pretty good. The details and scale are good, they're just heavy.
Poisoned-Wind Globadiers. I mean, that unit doesn't even have rules in AoS, I just like it from when I played TWW2 a lot and it hopefully will make a return someday. My second favorite is Warplock Jezzails, so that's not much better...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

There are tons of good third party miniatures for Skaven and other neglected ranges out there. A lot of these are 3d printed, but even if you don't have access to a 3d printer there are services that will print them for you for reasonable prices. I'd suggest checking it out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Talas posted:

Poisoned-Wind Globadiers. I mean, that unit doesn't even have rules in AoS, I just like it from when I played TWW2 a lot and it hopefully will make a return someday. My second favorite is Warplock Jezzails, so that's not much better...

Actually, they have rules. They're called Acolytes now, and they are a 5-model-minimum battleline unit for Clan Skryre.

Which is still sold as a solo metal model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, they have rules. They're called Acolytes now, and they are a 5-model-minimum battleline unit for Clan Skryre.

Which is still sold as a solo metal model.
Wow, never realized, thank you. I wonder who picks those names?