Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amazing. It looks even worse than I imagined.

God dammit Sonic Team you've actually had a huge budget and 5 years to get this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Each new video is worse than the last.:lol:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The game looks like a complete void of nothingness, there isn't even a game there. This is seriously the jankiest game footage I've seen in years.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Palette cleanser: check out this in-development Sonic 3 AIR mod where you play as Eggman and he has his own unique mechanics

https://twitter.com/RobotnikThree/status/1532753981390331904

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How is it all so boring.

If this is really Sega recording their own footage and not letting IGN record their own then... wow. It looks like there's at least some interesting gameplay going on here, if only because it looks like we're playing the whole game as '06 Shadow but with more moves. There's clearly some kind of skill system at work. I think I saw some dodge rolling in there too? But none of that is really obvious from watching the footage unless you're really scrutinising it. Also... it's not really Sonic, is it? The whole reason we got into Boost Sonic in the first place was so we could not have to be stopping all the drat time.

The fight with the big guy was the first time in any footage of this game I felt like someone had an actual plan for how to make a game that's both recognisably Sonic and something new and something with immediate appeal, like it mashes up the typical Sonic obstacle dodging sections from
Unleashed et al with this NieR-ish bullet hell except the bullets are all boost gates? Cool idea. Instantly graspable. Easy to branch it out into spectacle. There's clearly some other stuff going on with these encounters but the video did a piss poor job showing that - I don't understand what attacking the big guy's feet actually accomplished, since it looked like they went right back to trying to reach his head anyway. Video should've had more of this, but instead we get even more minutes of fighting the one flower looking guy.

Also the enemies are boring. There's just, like, we've got Dudes, we've got Many Small Spheres, we've got Big Spheres. What are these? Even the big guy wasn't really very interesting to look at other than for being big.

My diagnosis: terminal lack of vision.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
lmao at the music not changing at all during calm boring times and you hitting one armored enemy for 2 minutes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That looks amazing. I’m really bummed that the Genesis controllers for the Switch are sold out. That’d have been a lovely way to play the classic games.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Love to play Red Light Green Light and call it combat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vookatos posted:

lmao at the music not changing at all during calm boring times and you hitting one armored enemy for 2 minutes.

the music doesn't change between cuts so for some reason this is just the one theme overlaid over all footage

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any word yet on what’s going on with Sonic 3’s soundtrack for the collection?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

That looks so tedious. You just know there's going to be some necessary resource you can only get by fighting enemies. Otherwise why take the time to fight them?

I prefer enemies that take 1 hit to kill but require you to dodge their attacks to get close enough to hit them like SA1 and 2. I'd still take the combat from Heroes to 06 over this since there's at least quick ways to beat most of the enemies.

In 06 I just use Sonic's slide and just spin in a circle inside the enemy's hitbox. You'll take damage if the slide stops but if you get the timing right you can usually kill even the toughest enemies in that time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Larryb posted:

Nope, either they’re oblivious about people wanting to know or they’re intentionally hiding what they’re doing either as a surprise or as damage control

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

No explicit word, though the livestream segment that played part of Sonic 3 had the Sonic 3 opening with the Sonic & Knuckles versions of Knuckle's theme and the mini-boss music. Like how the prototype Sonic 3 had it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St86PQwccgc
They play it about 29 minutes in. They also show off a bit of mirror mode after that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Sonic team cannot be reformed they have to be shut down, there’s no excuses this time for how awful and broken and boring this game looks.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think the first half of the combat footage for Frontiers was awful. The enemies looked tedious and like they took too long to kill. The second half looked fine, though somehow I knew the game would have Shadow of the Colossus enemies once I saw the massive open fields.

Heh. Shadow of the Colossus.

In a vacuum it looks bad or dull, but I can still see how it might work; if Ball Made of Smaller Balls and Tornado Tonion were centerpieces of larger fights, maybe.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I can't believe they decided to give this footage to IGN, not just that the game looks jank AF but also whoever's playing just kinda sucks too.
Someone at IGN didn't play and record this, but someone at Sega recorded this and decided this is how they wanted to show the combat off. Missing jumps, just attacking an invincible enemy over and over before doing the thing to make it vulnerable.

Why didn't they just put together a highly edited gameplay trailer or some edited showcases of the gameplay instead of "here are a few unedited clips spliced together".
I mean it helps to show us the game is probably mediocre at best, but why would they think this would sell the game?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you cannot shut down sonic team you will regret this

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Sonic team cannot be reformed they have to be shut down, there’s no excuses this time for how awful and broken and boring this game looks.

In the grim darkness of the future Sonic games will be designed by an AI bot trained on Iizuka interviews. Every game will alternate between nostalgia pandering and a bold new direction for the series.

In the latest game Dr. Eggman has turned the world into candy. To combat this threat, Sonic will need to eat his way through Eggman's creations while making sure to administer the correct amount of insulin.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's the most depressing thing about this. If this was another Sonic 06 situation where the game was rushed about a year before it was ready and made by a skeleton crew, I'd be sympathetic. I'd completely understand why the game is like this. I'd be angry at Sega for letting it happen.

But it's not the same situation. It's a game that's been in development for 5 years, had an extra year of development because it was meant to come out last year and Frontiers still looks like this. This is honestly Sonic Team doing their absolute best. And that's horribly depressing. So yes. Please dissolve Sonic Team. They just can't make good Sonic games anymore.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Sonic Team" is basically just a brand name for whoever sega's running through the wringer to pump these out at the moment, people leave the studio constantly. Big reason forces was so mid despite working with established formulas is that people had been leaving around and after lost world if not before.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think the regular goons, the ones in the middle o fthe trailer that attack you, seem fine. Sonic's kit is wide enough that potentially once you're good at the game you can be running around, see a group of these guys and pick what of your movelist you wanna use to immediately destroy them in style and keep running. But that's a big maybe.

The armored enemies look extremely boring to deal with, and this is them not even attacking.

The boss thing looked like a potentially interesting concept, but not like, something that fun to do at its current state.

that one move that turns sonic to the opposite direction and then flies him to the enemy looks like a nightmare to use lmao

https://twitter.com/AL_theBoi/status/1532769627884904450

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 3, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This game's been "in development" as four words on a whiteboard for four years and rushed into something you can actually play over the past year

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
One thing that stuck out to me was the lighting and color work. Everything is just a bit too desaturated and it makes even the interesting parts of the world boring to look at. The haze over everything isn't helping either.

Other than that it looks... ok I guess? I don't think it will be a 06 style trainwreck at the very least. I'll be curious to see how it works as an actual experience rather than isolated fights. I'm also not seeing a lot of personality or charm on display which makes me nervous, though that could just be because they were focusing on gameplay over stuff like that. Compare this to Elden Ring which despite having a fairly grounded and serious aesthetic still has a ton of fun with location and enemy designs.

Origins on the other hand looks rad and hope the series embraces that Tyson Hesse 2D animated aesthetic more going forward.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It’s worse than a train wreck at least a train wreck is entertaining, this is just nothing it’s not even trying. It’s just so boring.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hogama posted:

No explicit word, though the livestream segment that played part of Sonic 3 had the Sonic 3 opening with the Sonic & Knuckles versions of Knuckle's theme and the mini-boss music. Like how the prototype Sonic 3 had it.
They play it about 29 minutes in. They also show off a bit of mirror mode after that.

I'm not sure this footage really says anything about which soundtrack is being used, they were playing S3&K which I thought used the S&K versions of Knuckles' theme and the mini-boss music over the S3 ones already?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I was joshing but I messed up anyway since that's the usual S3&K intro. :dice:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

I was joshing but I messed up anyway since that's the usual S3&K intro. :dice:

The footage we saw did apparently use the vanilla Sonic 3 title screen music though so maybe they’re doing a mix of both

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The first half of that video was so bad. The enemies were just so stupidly tanky and had these long rear end immunity periods, how could you ever think that belongs in a Sonic game, muchless want to show it off. Sonic used like seven different moves on them and it looks like none of them had any appreciable difference from each other in effect. If Sonic has a full new kit with a bunch of different moves don't you want to like. Make them accomplish different things and then show off the different things they do? gently caress.

The second half was better. I liked Sonic using his wind gust move to blow three goons into the air and then instantly dispatch them. The big shadow of the colossus guy where you have to hit the right rings on his arm was easily the best part of the video. Sonic platforming on a big enemy and you have to use some quick reaction time to get to the point where you can damage the enemy. Got it. That fits the character perfectly.

The loving ball enemy and the shell enemy though....holy poo poo, those look bad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hogama posted:

They've used the Mania option to have the ring counter go down and not up in blue spheres, which is cool

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Combat trailer was absolutely radiating Sonic 06 vibes, from the way the camera was snapping 180 degrees for no reason, to the awkward jank animation, to the giant boss who you fight by running up the side of it and then mashing homing attack

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic has different quill lengths at different points in the video. Wonder what's up with that.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't know why y'all are giving Sonic Team such a hard time over those Sonic Frontiers videos. I for one applaud them for single-handedly creating a cure for insomnia sufferers the world over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chillgamesh posted:

Combat trailer was absolutely radiating Sonic 06 vibes, from the way the camera was snapping 180 degrees for no reason, to the awkward jank animation, to the giant boss who you fight by running up the side of it and then mashing homing attack

The ball enemy gave me the absolute worst Heroes flashbacks. Spam homing attack during the 2 second window you can then wait for it to be invulnerable for five minutes. AWFUL.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I struggle to understand why they use physics'd fragmentation of objects. That's got such a terrible history, and never benefitted the games.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

An improvement, honestly. This isn't interrupting any good music

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you look at the history of 3D Sonic, you can see that the higher the expectations are, the worse the game turns out to be, and the lower the expectations are, the better it turns out to be. Based on this pattern, I predict that Sonic Frontiers will be the best game in the series, bar none.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Augus posted:

if you look at the history of 3D Sonic, you can see that the higher the expectations are, the worse the game turns out to be, and the lower the expectations are, the better it turns out to be. Based on this pattern, I predict that Sonic Frontiers will be the best game in the series, bar none.

Well, the expectations for Frontiers flipped already. It was highly anticipated and hyped until a few days ago. Compare that to Colors which nobody was hyped for and then people were surprised it was good when it came out. Same with Generations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

You just triggered my PTS:UD.
I already loving hate dealing with the enemies whose vulnerable state you need to trigger twice to dispatch them. Sonic doesn't need combat, enemies should be stepping stones on the way to the exit. The wind trail-ring thing looks cool, but why do enemies need so many hits and two different supers to defeat? This doesn't look like fun, there doesn't seem to be any timing or skill involved, it's just "mash button as long as you can" and the enemy dies or knocks you back.

That's not a good first look, I have no faith in this game.

Origins looks good tho.

Discendo Vox posted:

I struggle to understand why they use physics'd fragmentation of objects. That's got such a terrible history, and never benefitted the games.

You mean the rings? Yeah I noticed that they really went flying in that first fight, this will be a problem I bet. Unless you lose rings in bundles of 20 again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, the expectations for Frontiers flipped already. It was highly anticipated and hyped until a few days ago. Compare that to Colors which nobody was hyped for and then people were surprised it was good when it came out. Same with Generations.

Thaaaaaaat is not true at all, both of those games were well anticipated and looked at as potentially very good games during prerelease, Generations particularly had a ton of (deserved) hype around it from the very first trailer.