Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

That's just perfectly flavorful. Why would some chivalrous knight obey the orders of some unwashed foreigner who has the gall to fight with gunpowder?

It is, but would make one of the coolest new features of WH3 a bit less useful.

Not that this will stop me once I've reached a certain point in the campaign that I'm rich enough to afford Bretonnian cavalry from forming the best anvil with all my dawi frontliners, and then have some grail knights being the big hammer to smash the enemy against that anvil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I look forward to Nurgle armies with Skaven artillery to back them up. Ku'gath + Nurgle grinders + plague catapults + warp lightning cannons? Nothing will survive long enough to get into melee.

I've done it with Moulder in WH3 but they never got to the lightning cannons thanks to Kostaltyn.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I can't imagine sullying my dawi army with any other races units--who needs cav when you have artillery and gyro bombers? I could maybe see war wagons or mounted gunpowder troops but i'd honestly just rather have more artillery or weapon teams. I'd be running the more knightly orders mod as empire so why would i need those elf worshipping cav? I'll rock my reiksguard and knights of morr. I could see some monsters in my dawi army like how thorek had that chained carno because they'd be amazingly fast tarpits for my artillery to shoot into.

Vampire counts and orks i could see because they definitely have some holes, artillery in my vampire army would be amazing same with orcs. As nurgle i don't see why i wouldn't just want more grinders because they're amazing and far better than other races artillery. I could see recruiting warriors of chaos or demons to my warriors of chaos army--it'd be amazing to run WoC with norscan and demons of chaos units in there

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arghy posted:

I can't imagine sullying my dawi army with any other races units

I'm not suprised.

I wonder if WoC will be on the IE map from the start. It doesn't really make sense to spawn the faction later when Skarbrand, Kairos and co. undoubtedly will be on the map from turn 1.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They're getting reworked so it's very likely WoC will start on the map like a conventional faction or they get folded into the daemon factions and they make a new Undivided grouping for Archaon and Kholek. Unlikely but who knows at this point.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Choyi posted:

Seeing as Daemon faction already can deal just fine with a faction like Wood Elves (aka High elves but way more deadly when it comes to shooting) which also has several units with magic ranged attacks, I really don't get why people freaking out over the whole "But how will the daemon factions ever be able to deal with wh2 factions?! Won't someone think of the Nurglings!!!".

Even Kislev, a faction were near every unit can shoot and most of their units having AP ammo, feels far more lethal when it comes to ranged then most any WH2 races will be, and currently Kislev feels no more OP then any other race when you face them as an enemy.
This is from campaign point of view, and while I don't play much MP from what I've heard balance there seems mostly fine too?
Kislev doesnt really have huge amounts of ranged AP though, and what units they do get require a flat trajectory (and are, in the case of sleds, considered some of their best units).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most powerful Bretonnian unit is the blessed trebuchet not the expensive cavalry

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jokes posted:

The most powerful Bretonnian unit is the blessed trebuchet not the expensive cavalry

While that's true, the "no friendly fire" trebuchet is not half as cool as the fancy cavalry!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I’d like to see a mechanic where you could pay a poo poo ton for an allied hero or two. For some reason the caravan ones don’t seem to level up though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
I mean, against the A.I you can do almost whatever you want. The A.I is stupid as hell, of course you'll be able to trounce every single enemy faction no matter what faction you play.

Multiplayer balance on the other hand, once all factions are active will be... a mess, no doubt.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

jokes posted:

Here's a question related to this I'm not sure of the answer for, but pretty much all heroes that buff artillery and such just generically buff artillery right? So any other factions artillery brought in via alliance, would they also receive the buffs or does it retain them for faction only?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zzulu posted:

I mean, against the A.I you can do almost whatever you want. The A.I is stupid as hell, of course you'll be able to trounce every single enemy faction no matter what faction you play.

Multiplayer balance on the other hand, once all factions are active will be... a mess, no doubt.

They'll have to really fiddle with unit costs.

I don't really think its possible to have every faction be viable, though. Nurgle is gonna get completely poo poo on by most factions, I feel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

I’d like to see a mechanic where you could pay a poo poo ton for an allied hero or two. For some reason the caravan ones don’t seem to level up though.

I absolutely would love to have an empire army with a dwarf engineer, a high elf mage, dwarf artillery, and high elf monsters.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

jokes posted:

I absolutely would love to have an empire army with a dwarf engineer, a high elf mage, dwarf artillery, and high elf monsters.

Just saying folks, the Dogs of War mod for Warhammer 2 lets you do this already.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1910430680

Pretty works well with other mods too in case you want some Mousillon men-at-arms or TEB units or whatever in the mix too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hubba hubba thank you very much!

E: seems to not allow heroes :smith:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

jokes posted:

Hubba hubba thank you very much!

E: seems to not allow heroes :smith:

Oh drat you're right, sorry to get your hopes up I never noticed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No worries thanks for the heads-up on it though, I’ve always wished there was a more substantive collaboration between factions so I’m digging it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't wait to get AC-130 eagle riders on every faction

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Azran posted:

They're getting reworked so it's very likely WoC will start on the map like a conventional faction or they get folded into the daemon factions and they make a new Undivided grouping for Archaon and Kholek. Unlikely but who knows at this point.

Sigvald is gonna be made Slaanesh, while the two-headed chicken will go Tzzentch, next to two-headed bird Fateweaver. Archaeon is definitely going to have his faction completely redone to fit into all new W3 chaos stuff. Pretty sure the roadmap mentioned Warriors of Chaos getting a big rework.

I'd assume that Warriors of Chaos will have some sort of EverChosen mechanic, where they can via battle vassalize other chaos factions, and then gain access to their units. Archaeon will never pledge to just one chaos g., so being able to subjugate them all makes more sense.

EDIT: VVV Ah see I didn't know that in the lore, good to know VVV

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 3, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Kholek might go Khorne, but Archaeon is definitely going to have his faction completely redone to fit into all new W3 chaos stuff.

Dragon ogres are about as Chaos Undivided as units come, though. It's sometime even implied that the oldest Shaggoths are older than the Chaos gods, or have seen them come and go. Making Kholek a Khorne lord would feel weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dogstile posted:

They'll have to really fiddle with unit costs.

I don't really think its possible to have every faction be viable, though. Nurgle is gonna get completely poo poo on by most factions, I feel.

Honestly Nurgle is going to be pretty solidly mid-tier or better, especially with the recent Kugath changes. Kugath is absolutely disgustingly OP right now.

The real losers in the current MP are factions with overpriced and underperforming infantry like the Helves and Delves. AP missiles are a much, much bigger deal in campaign than in MP where most of your army will be lower tier units and you don't get the frankly insane lord bonuses.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

I really don't think so. If you're thinking of Sisters of Avalorn (and for that matter phoenix guard) yes they do magic damage and even fire damage - but they also pay the cost for an AP unit when AP is almost worthless against most demons. Ignoring 40% physical resist isn't all that when you cost over twice as much as a unit of basic archers. Honestly? Sisters of Avelorn have only ever been good in campaign where your number of units is critical, your cost isn't, and multiple units of them can melt just about any elite. Against chaff infantry they've never been much better than basic archers - but basic archers can melt chaff just fine if you bring as many units as they do.

And if you're thinking of dragons they have the normal strengths and weaknesses of flyers in domination - moving easily from point to point but they can't take objectives.

Multiplayer is a different game to single player - and popular multiplayer units included White Lions and Empire Knights.

No, I was more thinking Dragon Princes and their 80% fire resist. And then looking at the Tzeentch and Khorne rosters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

Honestly Nurgle is going to be pretty solidly mid-tier or better, especially with the recent Kugath changes. Kugath is absolutely disgustingly OP right now.

The real losers in the current MP are factions with overpriced and underperforming infantry like the Helves and Delves. AP missiles are a much, much bigger deal in campaign than in MP where most of your army will be lower tier units and you don't get the frankly insane lord bonuses.

Efficient holding infantry is also super important in domination because it frequently involves big messy blob fights where you have to stick on a point and trade blows. High elves are complete dogshit in that kind of fight and will struggle hugely. Dark elves have it a bit better because of soul stealer existing and Morathi being really great in blob fights, I suppose.

Wood elves will probably do great because dryads absolutely wreck the poo poo out of the vast majority of cheap holding units while also being cheap themselves, and they have some of the best large expensive target removal in the game to counter more elite builds.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, Turin said HElves will be dead last in MP. While Wood Elves will be one of the top pics, together with Greenskins and the clear number 1, Vampire Counts. How those nearly fire immune HE units figure into this, I'm not sure yet. But I have a hard time seeing somebody doing well in Domination with just cavalry and fliers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like lothern sea guards would be absolutely killer in domination

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jokes posted:

I feel like lothern sea guards would be absolutely killer in domination

Too few models.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Eh in defense of pure dawi builds you have pretty specialized armies and nothing is gonna fill the role better than units you already have. I wouldn't trade my grudge throwers and cannons for any other races artillery, bugmens rangers and thunderers are pretty drat amazing only out classed by knife ears. Other more flexible offensive races would benefit far better from a mixed army but races like skaven which can build an army to do anything won't really need other races units.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That isn't a defense but more of a reason to nerf them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Human riflemen can shoot over the heads of a dwarf line, and that makes them better than thunderers imo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bullshit, that sounds like more of a reason to use both Thunderers and human gunners in a double layer gunline to me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

There should be voice functionality where you can scream HOLD THE LINE into your mic and your boys get a small temporary ward save

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There should be voice functionality where you can scream HOLD THE LINE into your mic and your boys get a small temporary ward save

that'll be in Total War: Age of Sigmar.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Human riflemen can shoot over the heads of a dwarf line, and that makes them better than thunderers imo.

Yeah but they won't get the redline skills which you'll likely take for the crossbow buffs plus you can use formations to ensure they get a clear LoS.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

Bullshit, that sounds like more of a reason to use both Thunderers and human gunners in a double layer gunline to me.

I didn't say you couldn't, but personally I'd rather have ironbreakers in front and streltsi/handgunners behind

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I didn't say you couldn't, but personally I'd rather have ironbreakers in front and streltsi/handgunners behind

ranges mean you could literally do both

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You mean there isn't??

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Unpopular opinion: Sack the redline skills completely. They are way to good while being boring at the same time.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 3, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, most redline stuff blows. The only ones they should keep are the ones that buff low tier units for specific gimmick lords like Skarsnik buffing Gobbos a bit. Or the ones that don't do raw stat improvements but add something interesting like Vanguard deployment or poison or something.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Here's a question related to this I'm not sure of the answer for, but pretty much all heroes that buff artillery and such just generically buff artillery right? So any other factions artillery brought in via alliance, would they also receive the buffs or does it retain them for faction only?

Stat changes to units on the campaign and battle are given via unit sets in the database and most red line buffs are designed just for the unit sets of the faction itself. So the answer is no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Red line is a way to trick the player into thinking they are good and that harder difficulties that give the AI stats is a good thing.