Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Fair enough, I tend to come back to it every several years, so I don't mind the repetition, its still more nostalgia than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It all boils down to whether you want to do without those mods. Once OpenMW supports them there's no contest, but for now I'd stick with MWSE. If it is your first time playing I figure just go with OpenMW but if it's not, try some of the new mods, they're awesome.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Counter argument the stability and performance is significantly better and worth it over gimmick mwse mods.

I'm playing morrowind for old school charm I don't give a gently caress about 95% of the mwse mods, most of the essentials (graphical herbalism) are either baked into openmw or have a comparable openmw version, gimme content.

i never have issues with stability and my morrowind folder is a mess :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

:staredog:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

can whole rear end questlines with dialogue and whatnot be implemented purely mwse-lua? the cs dialogue editor makes me want to kill myself

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Proletarian Mango posted:

can whole rear end questlines with dialogue and whatnot be implemented purely mwse-lua? the cs dialogue editor makes me want to kill myself

yes but don't. the cs dialogue editor is easy and fun when you get used to it

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mr. Crow posted:

Counter argument the stability and performance is significantly better and worth it over gimmick mwse mods.

I'm playing morrowind for old school charm I don't give a gently caress about 95% of the mwse mods, most of the essentials (graphical herbalism) are either baked into openmw or have a comparable openmw version, gimme content.

Cool beans. I'm going to stick with swift casting.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Today in Morrowind i woke up early and did some fishing. Caught two big fish, set up my cooking zone outside my shack and grilled the fish and made some tea. Played on a lute while I waited for food to cook. After that, I went inside and did some alchemy, which now takes 15 minutes in game per potion, so after that it was dinner time. Had some leftovers and wine while watching the sunset, then went back inside and made my first attempt at enchanting an item (now takes 5 in game hours to complete) and then passed out very tired in my hammock.

All I want is a cute and fun dollhouse I can also do adventures in and that's apparently a genre no one wants to make games in but obsessed Morrowind modders lol rip

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I’ve found OpenMW is worthwhile just from the point of view of it just never crashing on me and save games being rock solid. I miss a handful of fancy MWSE mods but there’s not been anything I’ve felt was more worthwhile than having a version of Morrowind that’s not crashed on me once this play through.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Do people really get crashes that often? I'll crash like once or twice a day at the absolute most, and it's almost always my computer running out of memory.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

mbt posted:

i never have issues with stability and my morrowind folder is a mess :shrug:

Yeah I don't get crashes or particularly noticeable performance issues either and there's so many cool lua mods that have come out in the past few years.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FlocksOfMice posted:

Today in Morrowind i woke up early and did some fishing. Caught two big fish, set up my cooking zone outside my shack and grilled the fish and made some tea. Played on a lute while I waited for food to cook. After that, I went inside and did some alchemy, which now takes 15 minutes in game per potion, so after that it was dinner time. Had some leftovers and wine while watching the sunset, then went back inside and made my first attempt at enchanting an item (now takes 5 in game hours to complete) and then passed out very tired in my hammock.

All I want is a cute and fun dollhouse I can also do adventures in and that's apparently a genre no one wants to make games in but obsessed Morrowind modders lol rip

I've had this experience in both modded Morrowind and the Wildlander Skyrim overhaul; it's explicitly the sort of play experiences the Wildlander author wants to create. It's also due for a major new release (which will require a fresh install), so maybe keep an eye out for that release and try it then.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is the skill gain multiplier a lot bigger on mods that make alchemy and enchanting take 15 minutes/5 hours or something?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I lost my drive with all my fancy mod setups about a year ago and recently got the urge to play again. OpenMW+TR+a few QOL mods is so quick to setup, no issues, no crashing, game is still great. I think it's a combination of there being so many mods that you can change the gameplay to whatever you want, and that vanilla MW does things that no other game really does. I love the hell out of the vanilla fast travel systems. I love how you could play the whole game without even knowing that one of the fast travel systems exists (propylons). I love all the weird rear end lore. I love the huge range of skills and how there's overlap. If I don't want to learn Levitation for some reason, I can get it from alchemy or I can buy potions, or I can enchant/buy/find an item that lets my fly. Hell, I love that Levitation is something you can just do whenever you want (except the one expansion). I love how most towns have unique architecture and/or geography (Hla Oad and Gnaar Mok are the same but they're also the two shittiest towns so...). Playing it with a ton of mods is great, playing it with very few mods, also great! Playing with no mods is insanity.

I would love to see a game that's a spiritual successor to Morrowind. Take all the money you'd nowadays spend on voice acting and cutting edge graphics and balance testing and put it into moddability and drugs for the writers and artists. Would probably be my favourite game.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I don't get crashes or particularly noticeable performance issues either and there's so many cool lua mods that have come out in the past few years.

having tested them both the other day, i think once you add distant land and shadows to openmw it performs about the same as standard morrowind with those features added via MGE. stability with standard morrowind seems like a very all or nothing thing; you can very easily get the game into a state with kids that it doesn’t like if you’re not careful. i’ve never seen this happen with openmw

i would say that if you’re on mac or linux obviously openmw is the only way to go. if you’re coming back to the game after like a decade or playing it for the first time then i think the stability and out-of-the-box quality of life improvements in openmw are really nice. they’ve even added diagonal walking animations!

there are still some weird inconsistencies with it which i mostly noticed regarding npc placement, since it’s not a pixel perfect recreation. and that quickloot menu mod is so nice that i’m not sure whether i could live without it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, quickloot is by far the main reason I won't use openmw until it's got the same mod support. I would probably still not use it if quickloot didn't exist, but it wouldn't be quite as easy a decision.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

There are quite a few Magicka Regen mods, is there a thread favorite. I played a few hours yesterday and realized it's one of the few gameplay mods I want. But so few specify how they work, if they're based on a flat rate or a percentage, take any attributes into account and so on.

I think I would like one that is percentage based but also quite slow, unless you've built a very magic focused character. There's one MWSE, is that one very configurable?

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Okay, is there a stupid guide for babies on how to set up mods in OpenMW? I was following a Steam guide but it seems to kinda.... gloss over anything past "choose a folder, put mods in there" - just unzip them from there? Do I need an order for unzipping in case stuff overwrites each other? And for the stuff that creates double-digit starting folders, how do I handle those - leave them alone?

EDIT: I think I get it now, just make separate folders for everything and direct the .cfg file to them?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

There are quite a few Magicka Regen mods, is there a thread favorite. I played a few hours yesterday and realized it's one of the few gameplay mods I want. But so few specify how they work, if they're based on a flat rate or a percentage, take any attributes into account and so on.

I think I would like one that is percentage based but also quite slow, unless you've built a very magic focused character. There's one MWSE, is that one very configurable?

There's "Purist-friendly Magicka Regen" which may meet your needs?

Torokasi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 9, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48129
this one, its fully customizable

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Torokasi posted:

Okay, is there a stupid guide for babies on how to set up mods in OpenMW? I was following a Steam guide but it seems to kinda.... gloss over anything past "choose a folder, put mods in there" - just unzip them from there? Do I need an order for unzipping in case stuff overwrites each other? And for the stuff that creates double-digit starting folders, how do I handle those - leave them alone?

EDIT: I think I get it now, just make separate folders for everything and direct the .cfg file to them?

exactly. worth noting that if you’re on windows there’s a plug-in for mod organiser 2 that does this for you

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Has anyone here used the Famed Warrior background on Merlord's Character Backgrounds? I've been playing this Redguard for a while and haven't run into a single rival. Are they randomly generated or preset? Where should I be looking?

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46795
oh yeah he updated it a week ago to fix it lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mbt posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46795
oh yeah he updated it a week ago to fix it lol
Nice, time to play more Morrowind

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Generic Monk posted:

exactly. worth noting that if you’re on windows there’s a plug-in for mod organiser 2 that does this for you

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642/

Thanks. Time for me to decide if I want more mods than I already have, I guess...

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks, this had the settings I was looking for!

I reinstalled Glow in the dahrk through MO because i thought it was out of date along with Magicka Regen and Better Fonts and that caused my PC to hard lock the first time I attempted to play and now I get warnings that my master esm have been changed for all my save games. I also get two pop-up windows for vegetation containers, one showing the number of ingredients and one showing the alchemy attributes of said ingredients. I think I only got one before? Morrowind modding is weird, man.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/UESP_net/status/1536908662505189377

lmfao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tag yourself, I'm "i would like a plugin that turns the cliff racers into nice guys"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm the big paragraph about the name Morrowind not "meaning anything"

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
"Grimoire will be out soon enough. Then the readers of this newsgroups will get to see what a decent RPG actually looks like." (Grimoire was released 15 years later to Mixed rating on Steam)

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Respect to the guy who recognised its modding potential on release. Still being proven right 20 years later

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
What's the best NPC schedule mod these days? Combining Grumpy's NPC Schedule with LDones' Nighttime Door Locks? I'm mostly interested in something to give the night/day cycles more meaning, with shops closing at night and wandering NPCs going back to their homes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

:goonsay:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corn haver posted:

"Grimoire will be out soon enough. Then the readers of this newsgroups will get to see what a decent RPG actually looks like." (Grimoire was released 15 years later to Mixed rating on Steam)

I unreservedly recommend playing Grimoire, but not because it's a good game

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
"morrowind: a poor man's ultima 9 with weaker character interaction and a flimsy storyline" Holy poo poo my dude your comment could not have aged any more poorly.

I don't disagree with the people saying the game is absurdly easy, I'm sorry it took me 20 years to release mdmd lol.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 15, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

easy games are fine if they're fun

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Bolingbroke posted:

What's the best NPC schedule mod these days? Combining Grumpy's NPC Schedule with LDones' Nighttime Door Locks? I'm mostly interested in something to give the night/day cycles more meaning, with shops closing at night and wandering NPCs going back to their homes.

I've been using Morrowind NPCs Go Home for a minute now without any issues. There's a good number of options to tweak, though I've been using the default settings. The "send homeless npcs to temples/inns" option is unfinished, but that's disabled by default anyway.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've been continuing on my character that had just started Tribunal and I have to say, it isn't as bad as it's made out to be, at least not as boring as I remember it.

Some fun little quests in the districts and some quite expansive dungeons with actually challenging enemies. Even with the Tribunal rebalance I have to be careful when facing off against multiple lich enemies. Then there's Barilzaar and the Black dart gang, which, while more gimmick fights than anything, are still more complex than most OG Morrowind battles.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I wonder if this guy ever found it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Node posted:

I wonder if this guy ever found it.

Searching for an answer to that question sometime between Tribunal and Bloodmoon coming out eventually lead me to discover SA for the first time.

Not joking.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've been continuing on my character that had just started Tribunal and I have to say, it isn't as bad as it's made out to be, at least not as boring as I remember it.

Some fun little quests in the districts and some quite expansive dungeons with actually challenging enemies. Even with the Tribunal rebalance I have to be careful when facing off against multiple lich enemies. Then there's Barilzaar and the Black dart gang, which, while more gimmick fights than anything, are still more complex than most OG Morrowind battles.

the tribunal rebalance doesn't change liches :eng101:
pretty much everything after the first sewer diving portion is the same. I like that there's higher level content but I hated how durzogs and goblins were stronger than every vanilla npc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When Oblivion came out I was surprised that goblins were huge pushovers because my only experience with Elder Scrolls goblins was Tribunal where they were complete beasts even for my fairly high level Orc Barbarian.

Made a similar build for Oblivion and was surprised and s bit disappointed that I could clear out entire Goblin tribes at level 2 without too much trouble.