Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember a basil gimlet in this thread and forgot to mark it. Now that I have basil I want to make some again. Was it just a regular gimlet with basil muddled in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Strange Matter posted:

I whipped up a batch of Morganthaler's Lime Cordial and now I'm desperate to find more things to put it in other than gimlets because that stuff rocks.
It was something of a miss for me. Made it today and I just found it a bit too much everything. Too tart, too sweet, and oddly vegetal. I might have overzested the lime and gotten rind?

It's not undrinkable it's just not super fun.

I tried it with beefeater, 2:1 ratio.

Then tried a daiquiri with Bacardi, and it was again too much. Made my typical daiquiri afterward and it was so much more balanced.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember a basil gimlet in this thread and forgot to mark it. Now that I have basil I want to make some again. Was it just a regular gimlet with basil muddled in?

That would work and can be tweaked easily. I would fine strain it and garnish with a slapped basil leaf.

What you should do though, is make a basil syrup. Blanch/shock the basil, purée with water, strain, and then add the equal amount of sugar. It makes an absolutely delicious syrup that will stay a beautiful deep forest green (or it’ll be a lovely light green or somewhere in between depending on how much basil you use).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What do you use to puree the basil? I've tried to puree some blanched mint with an immersion blender and the results have been...mixed. The blender in question might just be poor quality, but I'm wondering if I need a Vitamix to properly puree here.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

I whipped up a batch of Morganthaler's Lime Cordial and now I'm desperate to find more things to put it in other than gimlets because that stuff rocks.

I love it so much, I've done it with lemon as well and that works too. But honestly it's pretty great as a x and cordial drink, so instead of gin use rum, whisky or rum, etc. I think the best thing if it's simplicity but you could totally sub it in for anything that calls for lime and sugar. You'd need to balance and report back, but it's a cool concoction.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve always done it at work when I had access to a VitaMix. It’s pretty easy to over-boil the herbs or to not shock it fast enough/with cold enough/just plain enough ice water, I think the few times I’ve screwed it up has been because of that.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’m sure I’ve proselytized the “blanch and blend” in this thread. I always have done a super short blanch, like a 10 count. Then directly into ice water. I like to put a large mesh strainer in my boiling pot so I can just lift everything out at once and keep the ice from getting caught in my herbs. Press excess water then throw in a traditional style blender and fine strain, possibly through a nut milk bag if available(note: bags look gnarly afterwards, rinse it and throw it in the dishwasher)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
💯

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pander posted:

It was something of a miss for me. Made it today and I just found it a bit too much everything. Too tart, too sweet, and oddly vegetal. I might have overzested the lime and gotten rind?

It's not undrinkable it's just not super fun.

I tried it with beefeater, 2:1 ratio.

Then tried a daiquiri with Bacardi, and it was again too much. Made my typical daiquiri afterward and it was so much more balanced.

I take this back. I think it's a matter of taste. I eased back for a couple drinks today, lowered the ratio, and it ended up great.

Margarita was pretty good, 2oz tequila, 3/4 oz dry Curacao, and ~1/2 oz of lime cordial mix.

Then I went for a rum drink that, while a touch on the sweet side, was delicious
3/4 oz smith and cross
1 oz dark rum (seale 10 yr)
1 oz light rum (Bacardi)
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz orgeat
1 oz lime cordial

Might be off by 1/4 oz for the last three each, can't remember exactly what I did but I think that's close.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pander posted:

I take this back. I think it's a matter of taste. I eased back for a couple drinks today, lowered the ratio, and it ended up great.

Margarita was pretty good, 2oz tequila, 3/4 oz dry Curacao, and ~1/2 oz of lime cordial mix.

Then I went for a rum drink that, while a touch on the sweet side, was delicious
3/4 oz smith and cross
1 oz dark rum (seale 10 yr)
1 oz light rum (Bacardi)
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz orgeat
1 oz lime cordial

Might be off by 1/4 oz for the last three each, can't remember exactly what I did but I think that's close.
Glad you took another swing at it! Also glad that my pallet isn't so off that I'm enjoying something objectively bad lol

The other day I realized that I'm 3/4 of the way towards being able to make Paper Planes. The only ingredient I'm missing is Amaro, which is hard for me to justify since:

a.) I'd be buying it just to make a Paper Plane, basically, and
b.) the only liquor store that carries it around me (and anything else interesting) is way out of my way.

But I thought about the flavor profile for Amaro (Nonino specifically): bitter root and a litlte sweet with notes of orange and other spices. So I came up with the idea of mixing Campari with an orange liqueur to sort of simulate something in the vicinity of Amaro Nonino. I used Triple Sec because I'm both basic and cheap, you could probably get better results with cointreau or dry curacao (I'd use curacao but I only have it in blue). BUT the result was actually very good! I can't really say how it compares directly with a Paper Plane but I really liked it. Quite orange forward thanks to the triple sec and aperol playing nicely together, but well grounded by the campari.

The Amaro M.I.A, or the No-Nino Paper Plane
1oz bourbon
1oz aperol
1oz lemon juice
.5oz orange liqueur
.5oz campari

I might experiment with the ratio but I really enjoyed it. Mainly bitter but with just enough sweet and tart to balance it out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Use the amaro to make a Fallback!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I got some Nonino but it doesn't quite agree with my taste buds on its own, a little too funky. But Meletti is real nice, probably does real well in a Paper Plane.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

obi_ant posted:

Use the amaro to make a Fallback!
Is there any real difference between apple brandy and applejack? It could be fun to grab some applejack and make some real old school mixed drinks and colonial era nonsense.

Data Graham posted:

I got some Nonino but it doesn't quite agree with my taste buds on its own, a little too funky. But Meletti is real nice, probably does real well in a Paper Plane.
I'm pretty sure my Good Liquor Store doesn't sell Nonino but it definitely has Amaro Montenegro, on account of it being in a bottle that looks like a genie should pop out of it. How interchangeable are Amaros when it comes to mixed drinks?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Strange Matter posted:

Is there any real difference between apple brandy and applejack? It could be fun to grab some applejack and make some real old school mixed drinks and colonial era nonsense.

I'm pretty sure my Good Liquor Store doesn't sell Nonino but it definitely has Amaro Montenegro, on account of it being in a bottle that looks like a genie should pop out of it. How interchangeable are Amaros when it comes to mixed drinks?

They are and they aren’t. But I’d generally lump Montenegro, meletti, and nonino together. In that order of softest/sweetest to more herbal.

If you’re looking at American, like lairds, then applejack isn’t necessarily 100% brandy.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

Don't worry about if it's labeled "apple brandy" or "applejack" IMO, the important thing is that it's all apples (and not mostly grain neutral spirit with some apple distillate mixed in, or worse, apple flavoring). Get Laird's Bottled In Bond (not their "Applejack" which is 65% GNS) or a nice calvados.

Amaro is a super broad category and generally speaking you can't substitute them, but substituting within particular families of amari (e.g. two different fernets, or two different alpine amari, or two different red bitters, etc.) keeps you closer. Montenegro and Nonino in particular are somewhat similar to each other (I like Montenegro better, actually), and you can probably sub them fairly safely (but also lots of drinks call for Montenegro specifically, too). That all said, you can often swap amari in a spec and get a new drink that's also good, even if it's not a direct sub (sometimes you'll have to adjust sugar etc., but that's not hard).

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Montenegro makes a great Paper Plane. I use it over Nonino generally as it's my preference.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Montenegro absolutely works in a Paper Plane, in fact it's how they make it at my local restaurants since you basically can't find Nonino here.

On a trip to Miami I finally found a bottle, so I'm making Planes the proper way now, and... To be honest I can't really taste the difference.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Strange Matter posted:

I prefer Amaro Montenegro to Nonino in a paper plane.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't the Amaro Nonino the key ingredient? I mean, you can use pretty much any lemons or any bourbon and I guess it has to have Aperol, too. But the Amaro Nonino is what makes it a paper plane. So using something else would make it a different drink, wouldn't it?

Kinda like a Dark n Stormy but if you use Hamilton Black, it is no longer a DnS.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'll happily make a DnS with Appleton Estate and nobody is gonna stop me.

I think some wiggle room is necessary in mixology, otherwise the entire practice becomes hopelessly granular. There are a million different rums and all of them taste different, some wildly different even though they fall into the same category of spirit. If using Appleton vs Smith and Cross in a Mai Tai is going to result in a formally defined different drink then i think the entire thing becomes kind of inaccessible.

If folks are saying that Nonino and Montenegro are closely related that one can be subbed for the other with approximately similar results then it should be seen as fine.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

If folks are saying that Nonino and Montenegro are closely related that one can be subbed for the other with approximately similar results then it should be seen as fine.

Gonna disagree. Nonio and Montenegro aren't similar at all imo and I would not call the drink a paper plane if it were made with Montenegro. I'm sure it's fine, but you're subbing out a full 25% of the recipe with something very different than the original ingredient.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's really weird because you can get endlessly specific about how the CORRECT Paper Plane is made and with what exact proportions of what specific brand-name ingredients, and then you can go to three different bars and they'll all make them wildly differently.

I've seen like ten different basic-understanding concepts of Aviations or caipirinhas from ten different bars each.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How do you make a different aviation :psyduck:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
There aren’t a lotta bright lines in cocktails, but fortunately/unfortunately the “bright line” concept itself turns out to be pretty loving hard to draw bright lines around. (Ask me about my philosophy degree. Preferably over cocktails.)

I say that yeah, it’s technically a different drink, but who cares about mentioning that? If it’s tasty, make it, if it’s not, don’t. Call it a Paper Plane (if you want) when your normie friends come to your house and you make ‘em some drinks, call it a Paper Plane With Montenegro on cocktail nerd forums.

I just got a Vitamix and I’m hyped about it. Gimme your best frozens! (And/or tips about how to frozenify existing recipes. I can tell they want more sugar, obviously, but don’t know a starting point conversion ratio yet.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've seen them so light as to be almost clear, so blue as to look like straight curaçao; full of citrus pulp, totally pulpless; with cherry, with different kind of cherry, no cherry; coupe, martini glass, other weird glasses — really never the same twice

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Some recipes don't include the creme de violette at all because it's hard to find. Which IMO is a way bigger flavor difference than the Nonino vs. Montenegro thing. I think there's more history behind it, but purely considering the experience of drinking it, I'm much more particular about that one than the Paper Plane, even though technically that's a greater % of the drink.

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

Scythe posted:

I just got a Vitamix and I’m hyped about it. Gimme your best frozens! (And/or tips about how to frozenify existing recipes. I can tell they want more sugar, obviously, but don’t know a starting point conversion ratio yet.)

I've made some pretty tasty Dirty Bananas (banana liqueur can be substituted for Triple Sec depending on the coffee liqueur you use -- I don't think it would work well with Kahlùa, for example), as well as Bananas & Cream (the few times I get a bottle of Bailey's it's for this). Coco batida and piña colada are other usual suspects but I've never gotten the sweetness right with proper cream of coconut, it always errs on the side of too sweet and I think real coconut milk or cream is better for more control w/r/t coconut flavor/sweetness.

And just an advice for binging on hot summer days: be very, very careful as you will invariably make smoothies with any kind (and amount) of hard liquor poured into them and don't know what hit you 30 minutes later. Frozen drinks are almost too easy to make very, very drinkable.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Gonna disagree. Nonio and Montenegro aren't similar at all imo and I would not call the drink a paper plane if it were made with Montenegro. I'm sure it's fine, but you're subbing out a full 25% of the recipe with something very different than the original ingredient.

It’s a Paper Plane of Theseus

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I've seen them so light as to be almost clear, so blue as to look like straight curaçao; full of citrus pulp, totally pulpless; with cherry, with different kind of cherry, no cherry; coupe, martini glass, other weird glasses — really never the same twice
That all sounds like an aviation though, nothing swapped, just bad bartenders. I disapprove of the cherry but coupe or martini is acceptable imo.

Sir Lemming posted:

Some recipes don't include the creme de violette at all because it's hard to find. Which IMO is a way bigger flavor difference than the Nonino vs. Montenegro thing. I think there's more history behind it, but purely considering the experience of drinking it, I'm much more particular about that one than the Paper Plane, even though technically that's a greater % of the drink.

It took a while for Ohio to have it at all, so I feel this. it's not an aviation.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

sur le web posted:

I've made some pretty tasty Dirty Bananas (banana liqueur can be substituted for Triple Sec depending on the coffee liqueur you use -- I don't think it would work well with Kahlùa, for example), as well as Bananas & Cream (the few times I get a bottle of Bailey's it's for this). Coco batida and piña colada are other usual suspects but I've never gotten the sweetness right with proper cream of coconut, it always errs on the side of too sweet and I think real coconut milk or cream is better for more control w/r/t coconut flavor/sweetness.

And just an advice for binging on hot summer days: be very, very careful as you will invariably make smoothies with any kind (and amount) of hard liquor poured into them and don't know what hit you 30 minutes later. Frozen drinks are almost too easy to make very, very drinkable.

These are good calls, but I'm also looking for like "here's how I turned a negroni into a Frozen Negroni" kind of nontraditional options as well.

(And yeah, good call on being careful with drinks. We're good, as people who like a lot of stirred, spirit-forward drinks and know we have to pace/limit ourselves and have a big glass of water with each cocktail, but it's still good to flag.)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Scythe posted:

There aren’t a lotta bright lines in cocktails, but fortunately/unfortunately the “bright line” concept itself turns out to be pretty loving hard to draw bright lines around. (Ask me about my philosophy degree. Preferably over cocktails.)

I say that yeah, it’s technically a different drink, but who cares about mentioning that? If it’s tasty, make it, if it’s not, don’t. Call it a Paper Plane (if you want) when your normie friends come to your house and you make ‘em some drinks, call it a Paper Plane With Montenegro on cocktail nerd forums.
Sensitivity of pallet also matters too, I guess. I enjoy a nice gin cocktail but I'm not going to pretend that I notice a massive difference between the 1.5L bottle of Seagrams I bought for $23.00 and the 750ml Bombay Sapphire that I was gifted. Rum, on the other hand, loudly broadcasts its different flavor profiles to me personally, whereas my wife could care less about whether I use Bacardi or Appleton to make her a drink. Along those lines one person could easily say a Nonino Paper Plane tastes more or less the same as a Montenegro one, while to someone else they're entirely different beverages.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I enjoy seeing different bartenders’ takes on drinks. I’m sure there’s an ABA sanctioned recipe for everything but just because a bartender uses 1/2 oz crème de violette instead of 1/4 oz and Meyer lemon juice doesn’t mean it’s suddenly not an aviation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For sure, one of the main reasons to even go out for me is trying people’s creative and idiosyncratic variations on things, especially if they use stuff I don’t have or would never think to try. It’s not like it has to be exactly to spec or I’m flinging it in your face

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There’s always gonna be the person who’s pissed at you for serving a proper Mai Tai and not an unbalanced sugar bomb of OJ and pineapple.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The Maestro posted:

There’s always gonna be the person who’s pissed at you for serving a proper Mai Tai and not an unbalanced sugar bomb of OJ and pineapple.
I love how people have such a mistaken idea of what a Mai Tai is. Do restaurant bars just not carry orgeat and just throw whatever fruits they have together which has created the misconception of the drink?

Everyone I've made a real Mai Tai for always reacts the same way, which is usually just shock.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Strange Matter posted:

I love how people have such a mistaken idea of what a Mai Tai is. Do restaurant bars just not carry orgeat and just throw whatever fruits they have together which has created the misconception of the drink?

Everyone I've made a real Mai Tai for always reacts the same way, which is usually just shock.

I'm pretty sure no one who isn't an upscale bartender or cocktail nerd has even heard of orgeat.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

my kinda ape posted:

I'm pretty sure no one who isn't an upscale bartender or cocktail nerd has even heard of orgeat.

Weirdly I learned about it from my dad (who was neither, but was French) because it was one of the few things he liked to drink when he was doing chemo. Some water flavored with orgeat. He used to mix it into his pastis and I think it gave him happy memories.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
EDIT: Pastis with Orgeat is the frenchest thing I've ever heard of.

Speaking of orgeat is there an appreciable difference flavor wise between making it with fresh almonds vs almond milk?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

If you cruise the beach bars in Hawaii you’ll find the touristy juice bombs, so that’s what people are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Speaking of orgeat is there an appreciable difference flavor wise between making it with fresh almonds vs almond milk?
Commercial almond milk is made in part or entirely using bitter almonds, which consumers don’t typically have access to. I’ve had much better results using almond milk out of the carton rather than making my own from blanched almonds.