Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There were never any little Mutas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Venomous posted:

the difference between Sting and Muto is that Sting doesn't actively draw attention to how old he is in the ring

if AEW put the world title on Sting then there would be grounds for a comparison. Instead Sting is booked as "legendary but not omnipotent" and pretty much has matches to elevate Darby.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If it came to a Sting / Darby match ever Sting would do the job is what I'm saying.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella posted:

If it came to a Sting / Darby match ever Sting would do the job is what I'm saying.

I have definitely fantasy booked Sting's last match being against Darby who is the only one to have never betrayed him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Muto is one of my top 5 favorite wrestlers of all time but I don't disagree with anything anyone has said so far. If NOAH booked him like AEW books Sting it would be way better

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

(in an extremely Canadian voice while chewing gum violently): FOR OVER TWELVE WEEKS DADDY MAGIC MATT MENARD HAS BEEN THE PREMIERE HYPE MAN IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

*ENNERDAINMEN

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

don't spell out my accent phonetically please. And gently caress you I was thinking about having that as an av.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/AkiraDiazoo/status/1532396613708259328?t=G-uQ4yFwtrT6NBg41zE-hQ&s=19

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

mandatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0x73WcAmY

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Michael Cole, known for his savant like ability to remember wrestlers moves. Assuming said move is a blue Thunder driver or falcon arrow.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Isn't Mutoh like their world champion?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Isn't Mutoh like their world champion?

No, right now their world champ is Go, thank God

just you wait tho, sooner or later they'll job Go out to Muto for the belt. Again.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Venomous posted:

No, right now their world champ is Go, thank God

just you wait tho, sooner or later they'll job Go out to Muto for the belt. Again.

Welp!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I liked when Michael Cole worked with Taz on Smackdown back in the day but that might just have been my love for Taz. I also liked Cole's call of Bryan's win at Wrestlemania 30

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There was some Australian house show for SmackDown in 2002 that got some sort of DVD release. I think it was called Global Warning Tour or something. It was a pretty short show, but interspersed with some very amusing bits inbetween like Kurt Angle, Christian and Lance Storm going to the zoo. It had Taz and Michael Cole on commentary, and very clearly Vince McMahon hadn't bothered to show up. Cole sounded infinitely more relaxed, and Taz had a bunch of the silly banter, like arguing with Cole about whether or not a camcorder counted as an appliance, that made him so entertaining on AEW Dark twenty years later.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lid posted:

Michael Cole, known for his savant like ability to remember wrestlers moves. Assuming said move is a blue Thunder driver or falcon arrow.

He also knows what an enziguri is!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Skios posted:

There was some Australian house show for SmackDown in 2002 that got some sort of DVD release. I think it was called Global Warning Tour or something. It was a pretty short show, but interspersed with some very amusing bits inbetween like Kurt Angle, Christian and Lance Storm going to the zoo. It had Taz and Michael Cole on commentary, and very clearly Vince McMahon hadn't bothered to show up. Cole sounded infinitely more relaxed, and Taz had a bunch of the silly banter, like arguing with Cole about whether or not a camcorder counted as an appliance, that made him so entertaining on AEW Dark twenty years later.

Taz was great on Sunday Night Heat back in the day, basically proto-Dark. I'd post a link to SNH commentary highlights but I can't seem to find it anymore, alas. He sure did hate the solar system, though.

Edit: found an archive of the archive: https://deadicatedfans.com/forum/topic/24652-quotes-from-the-brilliant-taz-matthews-commentary-team/

Cole was also good on the house shows that streamed on the Network, and maybe some of the tournaments.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Skios posted:

It was the same when he did the WWE UK Championship Tournament in 2017, working with Nigel McGuinness. He just sounded like a normal human being rather than a guy having a senile old man yelling in his ear for hours without a break. Far from the greatest commentator ever but still much better than normal Michael Cole.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I refuse to grade Michael Cole on a curve here, Vince isn't the one calling every move in his ear as a modified something.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

It was the same when he did the WWE UK Championship Tournament in 2017, working with Nigel McGuinness. He just sounded like a normal human being rather than a guy having a senile old man yelling in his ear for hours without a break. Far from the greatest commentator ever but still much better than normal Michael Cole.

It's kind of bonkers that after working the way he has with Vince in his headset and all of the bullshit that comes along with that for 20+ years that he's still able to switch that off and commentate like a regular human when Vince isn't there. I'd have thought everything terrible that he gets dragged for would just have become ingrained in him by this point.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

I refuse to grade Michael Cole on a curve here, Vince isn't the one calling every move in his ear as a modified something.

I'm not going to tell anyone to go watch WWE content (well, except when I told people to watch the A-Kid Charlie Dempsey match from NXTUK the other day...) when there is actually good wrestling you can watch with that time instead. But every WWE commentator should be graded on a curve of "with senile control freak in their ear" & "without".

I'm explicitly not saying Cole is a perfect commentator, but he's absolutely acceptable. Talking about Pete Dunne spending time training at the Michinoku Pro dojo & poo poo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If Michael Cole called the moves correctly Vince would poo poo on him for it. Its better for his career to call things wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

^Isn't that more or less what happened to Matt Striker?

Cole is fine when he doesn't have Vince screaming at him over a headset. He also works well with specific people, like Taz, and I really liked their work on the Eddie vs Brock match at No Way Out 2004.

Honestly, I hope he's paid shitloads, because I can't imagine it is anything other than loving miserable when he's doing his main job.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
To be fair Matt Striker also just made up dumb poo poo.

But yeah, I remember the audio of Michael Cole asking if he needed to repeat something he said fifteen times already, a minute silence and then Cole apologising profusely for daring to question the boss.

Mick Foley also said it was the worst job he did.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 2, 2022

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
most galaxy brain take on the MJF thing

https://twitter.com/Dizzy_Hogan/status/1532448795622944770

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Rarity posted:

There were never any little Mutas

well, there was at least one. Some warning - Little Abdullah is uhh problematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVsnZfFqvW8

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 2, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Duke Pukem posted:

:ohno:

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
oh that’s where they came up with the dragonball z guy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Duke Pukem posted:

Little Abdullah was also corpsing hard

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/MADCRAZYNESS/status/1519121913741824001

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Horny makes people do some dumb poo poo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That dude’s timeline is pretty brutal

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"I'm tired of people slandering this woman I like. On an unrelated note yay Johnny Depp!"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

"I'm tired of people slandering this woman I like. On an unrelated note yay Johnny Depp!"

:negative:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

"my friend's"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1532920716277915648

Yeah it sums up that Ex is good at his job!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that guy's name backwards is e-mad rovert so ignore

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This guy is just sick of all these drat Mox vs Tanahashi matches!

https://twitter.com/WrestleCringe/status/1533031415817949185?t=MUZ1eQpcFFfr0FS9bJV3lQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Seams posted:

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1532920716277915648

Yeah it sums up that Ex is good at his job!!!
It's a fair point. Either something has changed recently, or I've just become hyper aware that the show has become very intense with Excalibur hyping the next four matches and 3 shows doing every undercard match, gotodraftkingsdotcomandwecontinueLIVEINPICTUREINPICTURE. It feels way heavier than it ever was before, all while trying to maintain a commentary both that probably averages 4.2 people.