Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Doom Eternal has several cosmetic things tied to beating the campaign, DLCs, and extra-hard remixes of certain levels on Ultra Nightmare, but they aren’t achievements.

The actual hardest thing in that game would be 100 multiplayer kills. is an asymmetrical mode where one player is Doomguy and two others are demons, and you go best 2/3 rounds. So you aren’t getting a lot of kills, if any, per match. It’s pretty hard to get into. Skilled Doomguys can annihilate a demon in a seconds using techniques that never clicked for me, so no matter which side I’m on, I feel like the underdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cloks posted:

hell yeah

i played around with some of the NG+ stuff in the most recent Ratchet and Clank but getting a platinum trophy and immediately turning the system off is way too satisfying for me to continue playing most games after I've finished them

Yeah to be frank most games have a pretty good stopping point before the platinum so the platinum is really close to seeing a lot of what a game has to offer.

A big exception is under tale, you only need to do like 75% of the game to get a platinum there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finished off this long weekend with platinum 362: The Pathless.

This was a really enjoyable game kinda like shadow of the colossus meets journey.

Not sure what to start on next. I think I want to start a bigger game. I've been doing a lot of (kinda short) games that ended in plats so I should pick something in my backlog that's not necessarily going to be going for plat.

Looking forward to Omori and AI the sominum files nirvanA Initiative for June.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 31, 2022

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
There it is! It took a little over a month of off-and-on play, but I've officially cleared Arkham City. It was definitely a grind, but I still had fun with most of it aside from a few really frustrating challenges.

I'll probably start up Knight soon and go for the trifecta. I'm kind of glad that Origins has so many multiplayer achievements, otherwise I might be tempted to go for 100% in that one as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jokymi posted:

There it is! It took a little over a month of off-and-on play, but I've officially cleared Arkham City. It was definitely a grind, but I still had fun with most of it aside from a few really frustrating challenges.

:hfive: Arkham City Plat/Oh God What Am I Doing With My Life Club represent!

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Dewgy posted:

:hfive: Arkham City Plat/Oh God What Am I Doing With My Life Club represent!
:hfive: Heck yeah!

Definitely ran into a few roadblocks. That Nightwing challenge where you have to get 3/3 headshots among the other challenges sticks in my mind. Any predator challenge requiring the line launcher really threw me for a loop too, especially that Batman one where you had to kick two thugs after changing directions combined with not taking any damage. Never again!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would hunt down another 200 riddler trophies if it meant not having to do those challenges, they are the reason I don't have plays in Arkham Knight/city. One challenge I can do. Three in a row? gently caress no.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the platinum in Blasphemous, which I bought around release but didn't play long. Since then they've made several QOL and gameplay improvements and eased up on some of those most egregious missables. . .but there's still some egregious missables. For one of them, you need to backtrack and deliver items you find in a zone before you fight the boss of the same zone or the trophy is missed. Several times in a row. The other two involve a late game quest and you need 2 playthroughs. For the first, you need to know that partway through the quest you have to go back to the beginning of the game and talk to an NPC to get a key item (if you don't, you miss 2 trophies). For the second, you need to intentionally ignore or miss an early-mid game quest and finish the late game quest first and then go back and progress the other one. . . never in a million years would have done that without a guide. I combined the 2nd one with the half-game speedrun where I skipped a ton of things and didn't realize just how much more of the game I had to go and had to fight multiple bosses severely underpowered. Luckily it's a really good game.

Also got the platinum in Golf Club Wasteland, a really cool game where you play hazard golf in the ruins of Earth while having the narrative delivered through a radio station, the environment, and diary entries. But, it has one really aggravating trophy. After you beat the game you unlock iron man mode. If you exceed par you have to start all over, which would be tough but fun on its own, but it also makes you start all over if you hit a single hazard. Given the game is almost purely about avoiding hazards, I cannot imagine a single person did this without quit to dashboard / cloud save shenanigans. It wasn't terribly long in actual time spent but the constant reloading of the game every time I missed landing the ball on a tiny platform was rough. I read a book during load screens.

Snowrunner came out with a next gen 60fps version a few days ago so I decided to start over on PS5. The game has an absolutely absurd amount of content now, bummer that the DLC areas don't have trophies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I decided to start up Tom Hawk 1+2 (I'm leaving the typo) and this game is uh, a bit harder than I remembered. I'll plug away at it a little bit each day.

Thinking about going through Full Throttle for a platinum this weekend.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
What's your game plan when it comes to completing longer/difficult games? Do you try and stick to one game for the entire time, or do you have 2 or 3 in an 'active' roster?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ionicpsycho posted:

What's your game plan when it comes to completing longer/difficult games? Do you try and stick to one game for the entire time, or do you have 2 or 3 in an 'active' roster?

So it depends. If the game is very long I probably stick it on a roster. Sometimes I'll just focus on one or two games until it's completed out to the platinum. If it's 12 hours or less I'll probably end up doing it in one go (meaning not touching another game until it's done).

Usually though what happens is I need to get to a point where I can figure out how to get a game broken down into mangable chunks. For example I've got a shmup and an action rpg on the roster. The shmup I just do one or two playthroughs (they're usually 20-30 minute cycles) , focusing for a certain trophy. The action rpg, needs me to S rank all levels so I just do 2-3 a day.

This is why with shorter or story based games I might just stick to it until it's done. That's what will happen this weekend with Full Throttle and it's how I get through like The Pathless or Yoku's Island Express.

I try not to have more than 4-5 games max active (right now I do have 5)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jokymi posted:

I'll probably start up Knight soon and go for the trifecta. I'm kind of glad that Origins has so many multiplayer achievements, otherwise I might be tempted to go for 100% in that one as well.

Awesome job

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ionicpsycho posted:

depends on the game and how much i like it and what i'm doing as far as chasing achievements at the time.

for this year-long streak, i have been doing one short game and one longer or more difficult game at a time, rotating in a new short one when the last is done as a means to keep the streak alive. however, if it is a long game i really love, i have focused on just that game, ie i finished dragon quest xi during this streak with no other games to keep the streak alive because dqxi is a game i was more than happy to just marathon through.

outside of streaks, it will largely depend on the game. i often will play through a game once without really focusing on achievements, then come back months or even years later to mop up any remaining achievements. if a game has online achievements, i will often focus on getting those done first, especially pvp-oriented ones as frankly i don't find pvp very fun anymore so i'd rather just get it outta the way and then ignore it forever.

also if a game is a gamepass game, i will focus a lot more on achievements during my first playthrough, as that may be the only playthrough i ever even have time for before the game is gone anyway.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I was able to focus Judgment from start to platinum (nearly 200 hours) but I'm realizing that's cause it had incredibly diverse gameplay. Snowrunner, even though I love it, burns me out because it's just haulin'.

For sanity's sake, having a few games going at once is probably a good thing. It's supposed to be a fun hobby, after all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I think that's one of the key to success is having a few shorter games you just pick up and finish up to make you feel like you haven't stagnated.

I do remember doing like assassin's Creed origins in one long streak and even dragon quest XI which I finished in 2 weeks and 5 hours. And that's a long game to plat!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Finally platted Jurassic World Evolution today! A little repetitive, but still overall really fun. Trophies mostly weren't too annoying, though getting certain dinosaurs to take certain actions while I was ready to take a picture of it was a little tedious.

With this, I've also now hit 80% completion ratio on TT. :woop:

Maybe A Short Hike next?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 4, 2022

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Platted A Short Hike. Super charming game! Took me maybe 4 hours?

That brings me to 199 plats. Not sure yet if I'll try and do anything special for #200...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

A. I. The Sominum Files NirvanA Initiative? It's out in a few weeks.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hmmm, I did love the first one...

I'd need to find something to play until then that I likely won't plat, then. I'll be moving for half that time, maybe I'll play more Slay the Spire...

Edit: played a run of Slay the Spire and beat the heart for the first time! yaaaay

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 7, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Currently working on a plat for Greedfall. Basically need to speed run the plot to get a particular ending and some side trophies related to a choice halfway through the game. Never a fan of these kinds of trophies, but it gives me something to do while catching up with podcasts.

I actually started the game in like 2019 but took a break from it for a while, have been on a bit of a backlog kick and loaded it up, especially since they announced a prequel.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Some of these Slay the Spire trophies seem nearly impossible. Beat the game in under 20 minutes? I'm fairly sure all my successful runs have been significantly over an hour. Beat the game with only a single artifact? Oof.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Some of these Slay the Spire trophies seem nearly impossible. Beat the game in under 20 minutes? I'm fairly sure all my successful runs have been significantly over an hour. Beat the game with only a single artifact? Oof.

I have this on switch and so haven't trophy hunted, but from my experience, once you climb ascension ranks the earliest one becomes very easy due to how much you've learned. I'd do both of those with ironclad, the first with an aggressive build basically ignoring armor and picking up whirlwinds (there's gamespeed options you can tweak to go faster too IIRC) and the second one just playing regularly on the easiest difficulty. I checked and I recently had a 21 min run without trying to go fast on A5 with defect and the lightning-hits-everyone card but it'd be too much RNG to pray to get that quick for the 20 min run. . . might be worth keeping an eye out while playing regularly though.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I guess I'm probably just too slow and deliberate with my play. As you say, I'm sure with experience it'll go faster...

Most likely I'll just keep this as a no-plat game though. My poor ratio!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

:toot:

My 40th platinum earned nearly a year to the day I earned my 1st platinum! Thanks for all the support y'all.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

40 in a year! Very well done.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hell yeah!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Congrats! That's a lot of work completing all those Snowrunner tasks.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Grabbed the final trophy in Skyforce: Anniversary on PS4 this evening. Pretty good vertical SHMUP similar to 1942.

Grinding for the last passive upgrade (Cards) at the end took a bit, but the 100 Medals trophy was satisfying, really pushes your system mastery to the limit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/355050/Sky_Force_Anniversary/

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

apophenium posted:

:toot:

My 40th platinum earned nearly a year to the day I earned my 1st platinum! Thanks for all the support y'all.

You went into this hardcore dude. 40 platinums since earning your first a year agobis impressive! It took like 3 years from earning my first to just getting to ten.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Vadun posted:

Grabbed the final trophy in Skyforce: Anniversary on PS4 this evening. Pretty good vertical SHMUP similar to 1942.

Grinding for the last passive upgrade (Cards) at the end took a bit, but the 100 Medals trophy was satisfying, really pushes your system mastery to the limit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/355050/Sky_Force_Anniversary/

Oh drat, I forgot about that game. I'm only at 38% for completion, so I'll slot that into my "Medium-Term Length, Child Friendly category".
On a brighter note I've finally got my platinum in Soul Calibur 6 on Monday and should have my platinum in Medievil in the next couple hours to give me my first double plat week since the third week of lockdowns.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah I've got Slay the Spire on my trophy list with a single trophy of beating the first boss, and I get the feeling I'm never going to play it again. Shame.

Platinumed Greedfall the other day, then picked up Rift Breaker because eh, sale.

Also eyeing Death's Gambit: Afterlife. Really not looking forward to the speedrun trophy to beat the game in four hours without quitting the game or levelling up. Speedrun trophies suck.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the platinum on Nick All-Star Brawl, which is up this month on PS+. It was quick and easy, though I've played a poo poo ton of smash bros so it was familiar and I had fun playing the 50 online games. I gelled with a few different characters but Reptar was best for slamming quick online wins. All his moves are good and most players can't easily punish his poor recovery. I doubt this game is gonna have a long shelf life so if you're intending to play it, I'd do it soon while there's plenty of people playing Quick Play.

Also got the platinum for Lost in Random. It felt like a long-lost PS2 game with its extreme linearity and innovative combat system that needs a sequel that will never happen to really flesh out. Due to the linearity there's loads of missables. For the most part, any self-respecting completionist would naturally pick them up but there's a few like harassing the narrator or others within very tight windows before a point of no-return that make me recommend looking at a missable guide. Probably my most hated modern gameplay trend is dialogue being dripped to me while my character slowly walks around. That's way worse than just having a cutscene, which I could probably skip if I wanted to. It's why I'm not really keen on ever 100%'ing the FF7 remake.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just platted Skyrim for the first time. Took over 120 hours but I did it. I still have so many more quests to do! It’s a shame my character is practically a god and now the game is boring.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
So Cuphead just got removed from a lot of people's Perfect Games tab on Steam since the expected DLC achievements just got added. Didn't realize it was given a release date. June 30th.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I just platinumed the ps5 version of The Gardens Between to get platinum #369 and I hit trophy level 700 so now I have a bigger, shinier gold star.

Working on Ape Escape so I can have a true ps1 platinum in the collection!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

And Ape Escape platinum acquired! That was a nice shorter one. I love this new ps+ premium service.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just got Wild Arms for free (no idea why, I don't remember ever buying the original PS game), and it has trophies so might be that I end up more than an hour or two into it this time.

But first, this Guardians of the Galaxy plat...

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I just got Wild Arms for free (no idea why, I don't remember ever buying the original PS game), and it has trophies so might be that I end up more than an hour or two into it this time.

But first, this Guardians of the Galaxy plat...

Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun plat I loved that game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Doggir posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun plat I loved that game.

Yeah I've been really enjoying it, some great characters and writing. I have a collectibles guide open next to me while I play, having a pretty chill time. It really feels like I'm playing/watching some sort of miniseries, looking forward to making my way through the rest of it (currently on chapter 8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I loved Guardians of the Galaxy. Ran through it on Steam and wouldn't be opposed to doing it again sometime on PlayStation.

Ineffiable posted:

And Ape Escape platinum acquired! That was a nice shorter one. I love this new ps+ premium service.

So, I have no experience with any of the gaming subscription models besides the legacy PS+, where once you claimed a monthly game it was yours forever (with an active sub). Is that the same with the extra & premium tiers? There are like a half dozen games that I've had on my wishlist and would absolutely "claim" in the new model, but won't realistically get to them for some time. If they rotate out similar to GamePass then it's only worth claiming when I'm ready to play.