Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked up the 919 today. Got about 15 minutes away from the seller's house and noticed when giving it moderate throttle in sixth the revs were climbing like the clutch was slipping. The bike has 40k on it but the seller had the clutch replaced 2 months ago, so I figured they either did a poo poo job or it needed adjusting.

Gave it more throttle in a lower gear and no its not the clutch, the back end was squirming around on me. Looked in the mirrors and realized pretty quick it had dumped out all its oil, I was leaving quite the streak behind me. Pulled over just in time for the oil pressure light to start flickering, flicked the kill switch and coasted into a parking spot where it proceeded to puke out the last quart or so. The drain plug was nowhere to be found. I guess the same shop who serviced it didn't properly tighten it.

Luckily my wife was my chase vehicle, so we started the search for a replacement plug in the middle of cow country NJ. It's an oddball size (M12x1.5), no part stores had one. Checked a few hardware stores as everything was quickly closing being the Sunday before Memorial Day at 4PM. Very last place I checked (an ACE) had a bolt in the right pitch, but it was way too long. Bought that and a hacksaw and spent 20 minutes cutting 2/3 of the threads off. Got it done, threaded in cleanly and snugged up with no issue (my other concern was hosed threads) with a new crush washer the seller luckily included, along with the extra oil he also included.

The rear tire was completely soaked in oil and super sketchy. Luckily the place I coasted into had a hose and I was able to wash off the worst of it, and puttered the 1hr home barely giving it any lean as I wasn't confident I got the chicken strips clean. Finally got home about 4 hours late. Didn't expect to have to Roadkill this drat thing but we made it and my wife was a trooper.

Now to give it a proper going over before I ride it again because who knows what other fuckery I'll find. I should also get an actual drain plug and not a hacked down hardware store bolt, though it seems to be doing the job well enough for now. Also need to figure out how to clean the oil streak off the back of my mesh jacket.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I just have a disaster and a small success.

Guess that's why my fork seal was leaking. God. Gonna try to rehab what I can I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdG5fjJVnfo

Returned the carbs to the stock air/fuel settings. Seems to like it!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

opengl128 posted:

Now to give it a proper going over before I ride it again because who knows what other fuckery I'll find. I should also get an actual drain plug and not a hacked down hardware store bolt, though it seems to be doing the job well enough for now. Also need to figure out how to clean the oil streak off the back of my mesh jacket.

Good job not dropping it.

Did dumping four quarts of oil on the ground make you second-guess buying an ICE bike at all?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't missing my Zero while stranded in a puddle of oil, lol. But I've been riding ICE bikes for 15+ years now, nothing new there. Was just a short few months of being EV-only. This thing is a blast though and I enjoyed the rest of the ride home despite being too spooked to lean much. The tires need to be replaced anyway, they're mismatched and the front is from 2012, the rear from 2014 (of course the listing said "newer tires". at least i was able to knock him down $500 when I pointed out yes they have tread but they are aged out and starting to dry rot). May throw a set of Q3's on there as they have been my go-to all rounder in the past unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Spent the afternoon giving it a thorough cleaning. There was just an impossible amount of grease and grime from the tank down. I'm convinced he never washed it other than the painted surfaces in those 40k miles. Took some serious scrubbing and rinsing and scrubbing with all manner of stiff brushes and towels with dish soap. Didn't want to risk using any kind of degreaser with how much aluminum there is. It looks a million times better now, and I can actually work on it without needing to power wash myself afterwards.

Also pulled the Two Bros exhaust but hit a wall trying to reinstall the OEM system, installing the Y pipe requires removing the rear shock, but I don't have a center stand nor a good way to suspend the bike. I need to figure that out anyway to pull the wheels to drop them off for new tires. May finally have to get a front stand and rig up either a ladder for the rear or mount something to the rafters in my garage.

Also ripped out like ten red LEDs with customary horrible PO wiring.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Christ you saved some weight there. And reduced fire hazard.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

factory chain guard installed + undertail LED’s. a rare combination

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

yummycheese posted:

factory chain guard installed + undertail LED’s. a rare combination

It wasn't even just undertail, I kept finding these fuckers everywhere. 4 were undertail, those two long strips one was under the tank and one above the header, 4 more little ones under the tank held on with medical tape, and 2-3 more just stuck randomly all over the engine. Oh and naturally wired directly to the battery so you can leave them on while hard parked and drain it.

e: Cleaned up pretty nice, engine looks passable now

OEM exhaust ready to go on. Mufflers came off a 2k mile bike and the Y pipe donor had 4 actual miles. Waiting on an order for some bolts and a new gasket.

Cluster area cleaned up decent, this was caked in grime before. Just some dumb keychain marks and light gouges from my guess fork servicing.

opengl fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 31, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

Good job not dropping it.

Did dumping four quarts of oil on the ground make you second-guess buying an ICE bike at all?

I mean. Completely making GBS threads all the oil out is far from a common occurrence.

Unless we’re talking early 2000’s Triumphs, but that’s a different animal entirely.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Energicas have oil drain plugs too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bar end mirrors installed, same ones I put on the Zero. I likes em.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

opengl128 posted:

Picked up the 919 today.

I did that to my TLS. Sadly I couldn't blame the shop.

In "I actually did something" content: I started my dad's R65 and noticed the fuel line from the tank was weeping a ton of gas. To the point where it was dripping on the exhaust. Eek. I shut it off, and since I was still in front of the garage, I sprayed the side of the bike with the hose, just to cool things off. I had some Tygon tubing on hand for the R100GS's old rear end, rock hard lines, so I took a few inches off that and replaced the bad braided line on the R65.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My old oxford heated grips started failing in the long weekend. +2c /36f over the mountain passes with heated grips that would stay on anything from 2 secs to 3 mins at a time before needing to be turned on again was very very annoying.
Checked the cabling and it looked ok, and it would happen when sitting perfectly still also, so it was the controller itself.

I removed the old grips and controller and installed the new thermistor based oxfords. Difference is that the old one was % based. so set it on lowest and it will be on 20%(of a combined 2 amp). new variant is temp based. so you set it on lowest (35c) and it pulls 3.8 amps combined until the grips are at 35c. So it's much faster to heat up and you can set and forget it, not juice iut up to 100% to get temp and dial it back down when its actually varm.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Decided to give Angel GTs a shot this time. Will get them mounted this weekend once I go pick up a center stand so I can get the wheels off. The proper ones you leave attached are stupid money now if you can even find one, but there's a guy who welds up a cheap service stand that doesn't bolt to the bike. Or he used to. Found a guy locally selling one. I need to lift the frame and not the swingarm because I still need to pull the shock to reinstall the OEM Y pipe.

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 3, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

opengl128 posted:

Bar end mirrors installed, same ones I put on the Zero. I likes em.

Which mirrors are these? Seems like actual good bar end mirrors are either CRG ($$$) or Rizoma ($$$mortgage$$$); if there are other options out there that aren't pot metal in a fancy box sold on Amazon I'd be interested

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XT7RQDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are really well made and not cheap feeling at all.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Tonight I removed the bar risers the PO installed, apparently plumbing-sourced. Looks like he lost a washer in the installation process.

I'm short like him and I already liked the ergos so I might regret the change, but I want to try out the stock setup and pull these bolts out before they rust any worse. Really appreciate the guy saving the stock parts to pass along with the bike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

And I'm bad at attachments.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Uh yeah those are fuckin pipe bushings

Even got a heat number on them, it looks like

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

And I'm bad at attachments.

That's .. buh.... hwhat....?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

That's .. buh.... hwhat....?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Schedule 40 Bar Risers

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

This is what they looked like installed. The heads of the bolts that come up from underneath also had a pretty healthy coat of orange fuzz you can't see in the pictures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I washed my Zuki and then rode it for 3 hours :)
It was filthy. Lots of that sticky sugary stuff that certain insects excrete.

The engine should be cooled off enough to mount the bottom fairing. Then it'll look perfect (for a well used 23 year old bike that is) again. The bottom fairing was off to paint some paint chipping caused by rocks hitting the very front bit of it, and some big scratches because i overestimated my ground clearance once.
SV is not a supermoto.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

This is what they looked like installed. The heads of the bolts that come up from underneath also had a pretty healthy coat of orange fuzz you can't see in the pictures.

Ergonomics aside, please don't put those back on.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What's wrong with them if they work?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked up that service stand and whipped off the wheels. Will drop them off tomorrow with the new tires. Also pulled the shock so I can finally get the exhaust installed once my gaskets come in.

It's a stupid simple design but works great

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

Actually woke up decently early for a change and was able to get out on the road around 10am to hit Forks Of The Credit, and there was no one immediately in front or behind me, and I could ride my ride without worrying about closing in on some slow moving suv. Score!

Then got back to Toronto and I swear it took an hour to get from the highway to home. At least it wasn't too toasty in full leathers. Filled up for the first time this year and yeesh.

I went through the Forks last weekend, beautiful spot. Have you been through Hockley Valley?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Spent about 5 hours yesterday degreasing the swingarm and everything around the chain. PO was great about keeping the chain lubed so it and the sprockets are in great shape, but I don't think he once cleaned anything around the chain (a recurring theme with this bike).

It's not perfect, I'm getting some smaller brushes to finish the little nooks and crannies, but you couldn't even SEE the rubber chain guide before. Everything was completely coated in thick, tar like, waxy old grease. The inside of the front sprocket cover had just enough room for the sprocket, every other bit of volume was packed with old grease. It was a complete nightmare to clean and I had to throw away every brush and towel I used. The chain needs another pass but I'll do that once I have the wheel back on.

When I ordered the exhaust gaskets I threw a bunch of fasteners on there that need refreshing too. Of course those showed up before the functional parts I need.

These bolts on the grab rail stood out in a bad way, got some new ones and new caps for them too. I may still remove it and repaint it as it's a little manky even after a deep clean. I grabbed a can of this stuff that somebody here mentioned is a good match for Honda's aluminum finish, we'll see how it turns out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

surivdaoreht posted:

I went through the Forks last weekend, beautiful spot. Have you been through Hockley Valley?
Not yet! It's on the plan for the next time I'm up that way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cleaned it, finally. Only took half a dozen "man your bike is dirty" comments for me to finally do something about it. :v:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

opengl128 posted:

Spent about 5 hours yesterday degreasing the swingarm and everything around the chain. PO was great about keeping the chain lubed so it and the sprockets are in great shape, but I don't think he once cleaned anything around the chain (a recurring theme with this bike).

These bolts on the grab rail stood out in a bad way, got some new ones and new caps for them too. I may still remove it and repaint it as it's a little manky even after a deep clean. I grabbed a can of this stuff that somebody here mentioned is a good match for Honda's aluminum finish, we'll see how it turns out.

Kerosene is absolutely godly for cleaning greasy swingarms. Just a little bit in a small can with a stiff nylon brush will destroy chain buildup and brake dust. Keep the dirty kerosene in the can and cover it, you can re-use it for cleaning chains and stuff.

The rattle can recommendation is mine, try some on a test piece first to check for color match. It's the closest thing I've found. It's very good at matching engine case color too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man I feel like a dummy. Because I already have a big can of kerosene I use for chains (that I did use on this chain too) but didn't even think of it for this job. I was using this which worked reasonably well but still took a lot of scrubbing and rinsing on the really stubborn sticky stuff I was finding slung everywhere. I didn't want to risk any kind of aluminum staining with anything harsher but I may finish the job with kerosene now.

And cheers on the paint rec! I'm definitely gonna do a test spray before committing to anything with it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just an uncommon amount of free time starting now.

I split ‘em, too, so. Burn some sage for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's not too bad at all you'll be out in a year, two years tops

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Revvik posted:

Just did the same thing so I can offer some encouragement. I split them down the middle and re-combined from another set I split. Check the jets to make sure they are 145's and have the K-Star on them. If you're lucky the pilots will have a screw slot in them and are threaded in. Make sure you put the washers back on the linkages and the little plastic tube at the bottom of the plenum with an o ring on it. Some really good details here:

https://www.randakksblog.com/gl1100-carb-details/

After reinstallation I re-synced them and not surprisingly, cylinders 1/3 (right side) were wildly different than 2/4 (left side). I would be extremely surprised if yours didn't also need it. You can use a high E guitar string (.013) to thread through the pilot jets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revvik posted:

Please tell me you used a bandsaw and not a table saw or circular saw

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 9, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sold the SV650

:rip:

It sucks and I loved the bike but I never rode it. It was a waste to have it sitting around.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sold the SV650

:rip:

It sucks and I loved the bike but I never rode it. It was a waste to have it sitting around.

You know what to do more Goldwings

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

You know what to do more Goldwings

I'm gonna buy a Goldwing 1800 and then sell my 1200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm gonna buy a Goldwing 1800 and then sell my 1200

not gonna lie, everyone says the DCT is amazing, and my god you wont believe how big that engine difference is. what year are you thinking or you gonna go new?