Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

Do you have no external windows?

I do but this single hose thing we picked up draws air from inside and blows out. a dual hose does not do that negative pressure and draws outside air instead I guess? idk. I just don’t want hallway air and I’m wondering if it’s a worthwhile concern.

e: oh we have angled vinyl siding in a rental with 2 inch walls, no window unit allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Siamang posted:

I found a pretty good breakdown of SA's reported COVID deaths vs excess deaths. There's definitely a decoupling in some provinces.

https://www.samrc.ac.za/reports/report-weekly-deaths-south-africa

Before putting too much stock into this, be advised: it takes months for the data to be fully updated and a bit more than that for the model to be updated as well.

The ZA excess death reports are pretty stable, but reporting still takes time.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
The CDC is literally the only lab in the US that can directly test for monkeypox. How long before they get overwhelmed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ebola Roulette posted:

The CDC is literally the only lab in the US that can directly test for monkeypox. How long before they get overwhelmed

probably pretty soon, they seem really quite dedicated and competent, as most Americans ageee

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/523147567899877376

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
spotify recommended this to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIT1I5oR08s
wu-tang is for the children

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Internet Janitor posted:

Has anyone had success sourcing disposable gloves rated for viruses like monkeypox? What should I be looking for?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Are normal latex gloves insufficient?

I only learned this last week in the thread, but you want nitrile gloves rated ASTM F 1671

Someone posted a link to this vendor, here's a search for that specification. Unfortunately the cheapest ones seem to be on backorder right now.
https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/catalog/search/products?keyword=astm+f+1671

Grainger seems to have some too.
https://www.grainger.com/search/saf...&searchBar=true

And Zoro has these. The mediums are more expensive unfortunately.
https://www.zoro.com/ansell-exam-gloves-with-low-dermatitis-potential-nitrile-powder-free-blue-m-100-pk-n732/i/G3865687/#specifications

Gloves.com has some listed on sale, but at least two people in this thread ordered them and received completely different gloves that didn't meet the standard, so I'd avoid them for now.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

mawarannahr posted:

probably pretty soon, they seem really quite dedicated and competent, as most Americans ageee

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/523147567899877376

When you try to chart a middle of the road approach not based on facts or data to please capital and politicians, what do you expect? The CDC should have just stuck to the loving science and let the government and corporations gently caress it up on their own instead of being complicit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ebola Roulette posted:

i thought your post said what happens when they get overwhelmed and went to find this image so here we are

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

hot witch divorcee posted:

sometimes you got things you gotta work out with a professional (and apologies to trixie if i came off as glib about that) but living with people i actually like who take covid seriously, and playing lots of video games, and exercising outside regularly, have done wonders for keeping the screaming within my heart

I think anybody can feel any way they want about therapy it’s just a weird experience that when I share like a personal thing about my therapy I get a bunch of people responding to me that therapy is a waste of time/they don’t need therapy. It’s kinda like if every time I mentioned my cat a bunch of people responded to me that cats loving suck. I think it’s one of those things that I know isn’t directed at me but having people respond the same way every time starts feeling like I’m getting negged.

Rauros posted:

how would you distinguish between these two:

One is named Maverick and the other Renegade.

Zantie posted:

drat you, Trixie Hardcore!! drat you and your love of cool sounding nicknames!

https://github.com/cov-lineages/scorpio#scorpio

:coolspot:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

When you try to chart a middle of the road approach not based on facts or data to please capital and politicians, what do you expect? The CDC should have just stuck to the loving science and let the government and corporations gently caress it up on their own instead of being complicit.

Fauci was doing this poo poo in the 80s, so it's clear that the American populace are loving morons rather than the CDC having had (presented) an aura of credibility in the past.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/tripler-investigating-possible-monkeypox-case/

quote:

HONOLULU (KHON2) — Health officials identified and are investigating a probable monkeypox case in a Hawaii resident on Friday, June 3.

According to the Hawaii Department of Health, the individual is an adult from Oahu who is currently hospitalized in stable condition. A spokesperson for the Tripler Army Medical Center stated they are also investigating this probable case.

haha i'm in danger

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asporegeoisis?

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1532850596071497728?s=21&t=YMHlh9NxZ490TnqfcXWYNQ

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"Not my problem."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Prognosis: Negative

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

ouchie

stump collector
May 28, 2007
massive brain tumor with covid not of covid

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

You idiots are on an island in the middle of the Pacific. These viruses couldn't get to you if you'd stop letting them!!!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lol why you posting the t2s useless rear end sequence imo. Gimme them big beautiful flairs.

Another case of damned if you do damned if you don't really. If the radiologist didn't mention it on the initial scan, that's a miss and should have been followed up by contrast images. Ultimately I doubt it would have made much difference considering how rapidly it grew in 6 weeks, like would neurosurgery/oncology even do anything if they did originally have contrast and they found some tiny subcentimeter mass and got put into the oncology referral line to be seen in 3 months?

Anecdotally, contrast right out the gate is almost always a waste of time. Only time I've ever seen contrast elucidate pathology that wasn't already apparent on the routine images is in the case of leptomeningeal mets/infection. Also I hate trying to get ivs when I'm by myself after close and the patients are always incredibly dehydrated and no veins and then they loving throw up during the injection and it's all ruined anyway.

For clarity, I only saw the first axial t2. That is very obvious on the flair and a failure of radiologist to recommend contrast and/or failure of whoever originally ordered to follow up on doing contrast

Asproigerosis has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Jun 3, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A brain tumor killed my dad, that's a pretty horrible thing to watch someone succumb to.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Radiology didn’t mention it originally lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Don't read the article, just enjoy the headline:

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/cdc-says-its-too-soon-to-say-if-monkeypox-endemic-in-u-s posted:

CDC says it's too soon to say if monkeypox endemic in U.S.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

You idiots are on an island in the middle of the Pacific. These viruses couldn't get to you if you'd stop letting them!!!

sadly we are a us state and you can't tell fat white arrogant mainland american tourists to stay out because of the constitution :(

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I'm always surprised how much better elastrometrics are than paper N95s. It's unreal.

And cheaper. And offers better protection. And waterproof.

It's wild that I don't see more of them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pooky posted:

I'm always surprised how much better elastrometrics are than paper N95s. It's unreal.

And cheaper. And offers better protection. And waterproof.

It's wild that I don't see more of them.

COVID is over
😡

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Edit: this joke was probably too funny and I don't want to see people get hurt.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Jun 4, 2022

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

Radiology didn’t mention it originally lmao

At least once a week I do a scan and there is stuff the radiologists don't mention. About half the time it's probably relatively inconsequential, but I've had to call the reading room and say hey please look at this study again nobody said anything about the enhancing corpus collosum lesion or nobody said anything about the obvious obstructive gallstone lodged in the oddi sphincter.

Right now there is a iv drug user inpatient who has full blown septic pulmonary embolism and extreme intractable back pain. Tried 4 times yesterday to scan her and all the drugs didn't do anything for her pain (:shrug:). I called neurosurgery today hoping to talk to them all hey I only got the low res localizers on this lady but I'm pretty sure I can see paraspinal/psoas muscle fluid so maybe you might want to intubate if this is important? I don't know who this patient is they aren't on my list call the attending then when you get the images we can talk about.

You loving dunces I'm calling because YOU WERE CONSULTED AND TOLD THEM TO ORDER MRI AND SO IM CALLING YOU TRYING TO TELL YOU I CANT GET THE IMAGES UNLESS YOU DO SOMETHING

Whatever, I'm sure whatever they give her for the septic emboli MRSA will work on the paraspinal infection.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ACIP meeting is scheduled

https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1532805210480988160?s=21&t=QP-JvtAbG3PGNWxmSnwocg

Also it’s been pointed out that June 20th is a federal holiday so lol if that fucks this up.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Mar 18, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

At least once a week I do a scan and there is stuff the radiologists don't mention. About half the time it's probably relatively inconsequential, but I've had to call the reading room and say hey please look at this study again nobody said anything about the enhancing corpus collosum lesion or nobody said anything about the obvious obstructive gallstone lodged in the oddi sphincter.

Right now there is a iv drug user inpatient who has full blown septic pulmonary embolism and extreme intractable back pain. Tried 4 times yesterday to scan her and all the drugs didn't do anything for her pain (:shrug:). I called neurosurgery today hoping to talk to them all hey I only got the low res localizers on this lady but I'm pretty sure I can see paraspinal/psoas muscle fluid so maybe you might want to intubate if this is important? I don't know who this patient is they aren't on my list call the attending then when you get the images we can talk about.

You loving dunces I'm calling because YOU WERE CONSULTED AND TOLD THEM TO ORDER MRI AND SO IM CALLING YOU TRYING TO TELL YOU I CANT GET THE IMAGES UNLESS YOU DO SOMETHING

Whatever, I'm sure whatever they give her for the septic emboli MRSA will work on the paraspinal infection.

😡

Contrast

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
paXLovid

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
There was another person that I saw in an elastrometic around my town and they recently switched to a printed cloth mask. My disappointment was palpable.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I hate doing contrast because almost every single patient I do now is a loving disaster and claustrophobic and big babies that can't just lay still in the tube for 30 minutes so anything that prolongs the length of an exam is absolute agony.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Seems bad. Should I be getting sick as much as possible to build my immunity?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Seems bad. Should I be getting sick as much as possible to build my immunity?

I feel confident in stating that their analysis will show very few people died of long covid. At least I feel this gives the game away:

quote:

(..)
A spokesperson for the CDC said the agency is “working on identifying any deaths attributed to … long Covid-19” and plans to publish the numbers “soon.”

There is no test for long Covid, and the CDC and the medical community have no official definition.
(..)
The CDC analysis is pulling death certificates that have words like “long Covid” or “post Covid,” which could indicate that someone has died as a result of the condition.
(..)

That said - yes - you should obviously get as many disease in the shortest amount of time if you want the maximum amount of protection*.

*by joining the ranks of the post-living.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pingui posted:

Don't read the article, just enjoy the headline:

Americans have never seen a disease they dont want around forever.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
every once in a while it's fun to think about the covid cases in south korea early on where people would get masks, food, thermometers, tests, etc all delivered to their homes for free so they could quarantine. it would have been a very interesting and different pandemic if every country cared about keeping people alive

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
guys if most rubber gloves aren’t virus proof enough for monkeypox

it’s time

to double glove

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

guys if most rubber gloves aren’t virus proof enough for monkeypox

it’s time

to double glove

You say that now, but then in two weeks you recommend degloving.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Project Zomboid level graphics, lmao i cant believe i watched that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
PCR results coming in a couple days but at this point feeling confident that me and ~*my fiancé*~ managed to not get covid at MDF by simply taking proper respiratory precautions

also there must have been so much fuckin covid there bc this is the literal first time I've ever seen this notification

hosed up though...a friend of mine managed to make it safely through going to some kind of wrestling event in Vegas with the respirator heeding my advice. unfortunately he made the mistake of having a teacher for a roommate so he got got after getting back :(