Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My mom is 65 and averages 180-190 off the tee, can get it out there 220 when she actually tees it up high enough. She's easily a +7 AoA with driver but still tees it like she's still hitting an old persimmon from the 60s. The crazy thing is that she uses those martini tees that tell you how high to tee up the ball but pushes them into the ground further than the little barrier ring wants you to, lol. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Not sure what I'm doing wrong (or right?) but my 8 iron is my actual 150 yard club and I'm pretty consistent with it, but when I pull 9 or PW to hit it 120-140, they also go 150 yards on a full swing or 100 yards when I lay off a bit

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MustardFacial posted:

Played the Ridge course today and we’ve got a tee time for the Predator course tomorrow morning.

Great course so far, definitely lives up to the trope of large BC courses having a couple par 4’s and 5’s where the tee shot is off the side of a mountain 70ft above the fairway. Spectacular views as well. I’ll post a bunch of pictures later.

Played in the absolute pouring rain this morning on the Predator course. But it cleared up around hole 6. The Predator course is definitely harder but I lost fewer balls, so I guess that makes it a better course overall?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Prurient Squid posted:

So why does no one ever shout "fore"? That was the stereotype I had in my head and in 14 hours of footage I've never heard it.

They yell "fore" (usually fore left or fore right) *all the time* on the tour. Not sure what streams you're watching!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I'll listen harder I guess. See if I hear any in Round 2.

Edit:

A something is being shouted about 5 seconds after a stroke. Hard to make out. It might very well be "fore right" or "fore left".

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 3, 2022

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I had 6 birdies today but only shot even par thanks to one awful tee shot, one awful wedge, and a couple bad chips. Feels bad.

The PRGR radar unit I got seems very accurate. It does seem to miss practice swings and ball speeds sometimes but overall based on quite a few swings it has had very accurate numbers.

FWIW: My good drives are 107-108mph club head speed and 160ish ball speed. I can swing up to almost 120mph but have absolutely no control when I try to do that. I feel like I should be able to work on this and start hitting drives at 110-112 mph without changing too much but it’s going to take some practice.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 4, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm 40 and according to both Garmin R10 and GolfShot, I average....189 on my drives.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
6 birdies is nice—good bit of offense.

I wish I could be in contention my club championship, but that’ll never happen. There are like 8-10 guys who are +3 index or better. I can’t shoot 65 in tournament conditions and they can.

Edit: Since everyone is posting swing speed, I’m mid-30s and 115-117. I can hit 122ish but that’s got big dispersion.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 4, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Omne posted:

I'm 40 and according to both Garmin R10 and GolfShot, I average....189 on my drives.

I average a mere 245 carry on my driver. You and I are the weak boys in this thread.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

My last fitting, I didn't gain distance with my new irons (despite the assurances from the fitter), but my average went up because slight miss hits just didn't lose any real distance. Embrace the new tech, old guys.
You’ll take my blades from my cold dead hands

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Kirios posted:

I average a mere 245 carry on my driver. You and I are the weak boys in this thread.

My average is brought down a lot because of my shanks and slices, but yeah, the top end of my drives is 220-230.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I was going to ask how you guys always seem to know how many yards you hit the ball. Is there some kind of computer thing at work?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GPS units and laser rangefinders make it pretty easy. Most shots leave a pitch mark when the ball lands so you can tell exactly how far it flew. Anyone who plays regularly should have a pretty good idea of how far each of their clubs typically carry, but you also have things like wind and slope that can make a big difference.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Suprfli6 posted:

GPS units and laser rangefinders make it pretty easy. Most shots leave a pitch mark when the ball lands so you can tell exactly how far it flew. Anyone who plays regularly should have a pretty good idea of how far each of their clubs typically carry, but you also have things like wind and slope that can make a big difference.

Where the hell are you playing that most shots leave a mark on impact? The only time I've ever seen those is mud golf in Florida when the ball plugs in the fairway (sometimes after skulling a drive).

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
The driving range I go to has a bunch of sensors installed. You can download an app or use a screen they have at the bay.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Omne posted:

I’m 38 and my R10 also gives me an average total of 189 on my drives. If I come absolutely out of my shoes and the stars align I can do 220-230 but I have no control at that point so I’m always dialing it back a bit. I think if I practiced a bit more on swing consistency and keeping the club face more closed on impact I could put more club head speed into it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Where the hell are you playing that most shots leave a mark on impact? The only time I've ever seen those is mud golf in Florida when the ball plugs in the fairway (sometimes after skulling a drive).

I was talking mostly about hitting the green but it’s pretty common to have soft conditions following a rainy day or two here in NY. Sometimes my drives bounce and roll 50 yards and other times they are a few feet from their pitch mark.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

I was going to ask how you guys always seem to know how many yards you hit the ball. Is there some kind of computer thing at work?

Our club has two trackman stations, so you can reserve a time and get all your stats.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Prurient Squid posted:

That particular screenshot is from the Garmin Golf app, using data from my Garmin R10, which is a portable launch monitor (i.e. it has crazy cameras and can track my ball when I hit it on the driving range and give me all sorts of data: carry, distance, apex, various angles, etc.).

As stated, most players either use a rangefinder (looks like binoculars, but when you look through it it tells you distance to a point in front of you) or the GPS on their phone or watch. I use the GolfShot app, which knows when I hit a shot, and when I hit my next shot, it knows how far the previous shot went.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Well, I just made my way through 14 hours of footage. Now onto Round 2. I have a little blanket around my legs and I like to wiggle my toes. This has been a journey discovering that 'm into golf and find it relaxing to watch. I emailed a friend of mine and told him I was into golf now and he told me gently that he thought golf was boring but that he can relate because he watches snooker to relax. I guess we all have our things.

Maybe someday I'll play I don't know.

edit:

Ah, the holes are in different positions in Round 2. That mixes it up a bit.

edit:

Right, typically when Royal St George hosts the open it's rare for more than one person to get under par on the first round. Last year was actually unusual in that a fair few have done so. I don't know if that makes it more of a tussel or if the first round doesn't matter on it's own so much. Kind of interesting though. Maybe it's just a tough course.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 4, 2022

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I seriously love this journey for you.

One of my big revelations over the past year of getting back into watching a lot of golf is the availability of feature group coverage. I get a muuuch better feel for the course and get to usually follow my favs. I love them for thurs-sat golf viewing.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Oh hey thanks!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Shot 76 today but lol at this front 9.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Nothing wrong there, a truly dumb card has to have a chip in for bogey instead of par though. It's a rule.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Amazing scrambling!

I’m not shooting 70’s but I had a round early this year where I shot 82, a personal best. My ball striking was middling at best and I was getting similar GIR, but was chipping decently and really putting well. This really convinced me that all the time I spend on full shots on the range falls way behind the time I devote to short game.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I think one thing I really like is Sam Torrance's commentary. He just has such a soothing voice.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

We have the US Open Sectional qualifier tomorrow at my home course. It’s very inspiring to watch these bros just pure the poo poo out of the ball. I mean, look at these divots.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Bad idea: 4-man worst ball scramble.

Everyone thinks it’s all fun and games until you get to the green and it dawns on you that if 1 person misses the putt, you all have to go again.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pine Needles looks so good today. I'd shoot 200 but I'd love to be out there playing it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Bad idea: 4-man worst ball scramble.

Everyone thinks it’s all fun and games until you get to the green and it dawns on you that if 1 person misses the putt, you all have to go again.

Potentially... forever

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

According to the R10, I hit my longest drive ever today at the range: 245 whole yards. Overall, not nearly as much slice, and also not as much pushing to the left. Hit my new hybrid pretty well, and finally started connecting with my 5 iron.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

According to the R10, I hit my longest drive ever today at the range: 245 whole yards. Overall, not nearly as much slice, and also not as much pushing to the left. Hit my new hybrid pretty well, and finally started connecting with my 5 iron.

Have you found that referencing the data has actually helped your game at all?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I find the data fun to look at and It's adjusted my club selection by about 5 meters, fwiw. I'm interested to do a comparison over time of distance between summer and winter months.

edit; I should add, the data seems to be extremely accurate on lower clubs, to the point where I would say it's almost perfect up to a 7-iron. I can hit a 7-iron at the range and it looks like it's been mirrored onto my phone screen, it's that good. Very rarely it miscalculates one (maybe 1/10) as the wrong shot shape, but that's about it. But, as you get into longer clubs, and especially driver, it starts to fail a lot more - the distance is still pretty accurate afaik (it's hard to tell on a range how far your balls are going exactly) but it gets the shape and launch angle wrong probably 30% of the time.

abigserve fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 6, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mederlock posted:

Have you found that referencing the data has actually helped your game at all?

Absolutely. It's told me just how bad I am at golf.

But in all seriousness....I'm terrible at judging distances, and it's really helped me see where I'm hitting clubs. I don't look at all the stats - frankly there's so many it's easy to get lost - but I can compare shots and see which ones I clearly came over the top and how that forced the sidespin to do what it does vs. shots that went straight or had a nice fade, and how I can try to repeat that. As an example, it's helped me really see that as I've worked to fix my slice, I push everything straight left, and I can see it in the clubface and path measurements. Meanwhile, my irons don't have the same problem, from short to long.

abigserve posted:

But, as you get into longer clubs, and especially driver, it starts to fail a lot more - the distance is still pretty accurate afaik (it's hard to tell on a range how far your balls are going exactly) but it gets the shape and launch angle wrong probably 30% of the time.

I saw a bit of this today, but the guy next to me was hitting angled shots at the same time so I think my unit was a bit confused

Omne fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 6, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It looks the LIV Golf tour is holding an event in my backyard from June 30th to July 2nd. Should I bother getting a ticket there?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

$70 a pop for tickets, probably a hard pass for me to watch some has beens and never wases.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

$70 a pop for tickets, probably a hard pass for me to watch some has beens and never wases.

Wait for the inevitable free tickets and it might be worthwhile?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Well that's settled.

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1533888177777295360

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah here's his announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm very tempted to get that Saturday ticket in Portland now.