Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Replace 'culture' with 'faith' and you have my critique of the religion map as well. I don't understand how I'm supposed to meaningfully interact with these systems while playing wide.

For faith, I generally find that vassals are pretty good about converting their counties, and you can at least directly ask them to convert if they go to another faith. I have never really had problems managing a mono-faith large empire. Mono-culture, sure, but that's not actually desirable. I kind of like that you don't necessarily need to convert your empire to all one culture, and it's actually more beneficial to have a small cultural core but large empires are generally multicultural.

Elias_Maluco posted:

These are 2 things I dont like in CK3: tech (innovations) being tied to specific cultures and the speed you get these innovations being related to average development of the culture (which means smaller cultures are in advantage)

I honestly think CK2 system was better

Completely disagree, county-by-county tech was awful especially since mostly you just cared about your capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

For faith, I generally find that vassals are pretty good about converting their counties, and you can at least directly ask them to convert if they go to another faith. I have never really had problems managing a mono-faith large empire. Mono-culture, sure, but that's not actually desirable. I kind of like that you don't necessarily need to convert your empire to all one culture, and it's actually more beneficial to have a small cultural core but large empires are generally multicultural.

Completely disagree, county-by-county tech was awful especially since mostly you just cared about your capital.

Oh yeah, as I pointed out one of the things I think is cool about the cultural system is that you're incentivized to mix your culture. It's just that for the past 200 years in my game, the only people with my hybrid culture have been the nobility of my realm. It's only in the last 50 or so where I forcibly had my steward convert Rome and Paris that it even appeared on the map. Which seems like utter nonsense that because the 1% know how trebuchets work or the latest in tax collection methods the rest of the realm reaps the benefits.

It's not like the peasants' culture has the farming innovations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now I need to wait until I die so the kid I had with the Cid inherits the Kingdom of Valencia.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Did the El Cid achievement starting as Urraca in Leon and also ended the struggle with domination and formed Hispania. I really like the idea of the struggle system but tbh I feel like the numbers on phase changes need to be tweaked. The first phase was compromise so I just started doing truce break border raids over and over so I wouldnt gain land and thus not be able to truce break anyone and it took like 100 years to get to hostility. If the effects of some actions had more value for phase change it would
cut out a lot of the waiting imo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there any reason not to grant your vassals ghazi status as a Muslim? Especially in Iberia, it seems all upsides and no downsides.

Edit: Trying my usual Umayyad game, with the dissolution faction waiting in the wings to fire any moment, you can't afford your two wars. If you surrender in the independence war, you lose your vassals in Toledo and Portucale, but you also get rid of Alfonso's war for Portucale against you, saving you 120 prestige by not surrendering to him first.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 2, 2022

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I still do not understand what the 'war target' is, it's incredibly opaque and even the wiki says something like "yeah, the game doesn't tell you". Sometimes I think I'm close to figuring out what the game means by war target, but right now I'm consistently losing war score because 'attacker controls war target'. The only thing the UI gives me to go off of are the flaming crown icons (which it's obvious what that's supposed to signify) and then the glowing red border. So I'd assume the territory with the glowing red border is the war target, however, my side absolutely completely controls that territory.

This would have been a white peace if not an outright victory a long time ago but it's just getting ticked down and is turning into a war of attrition. I'm thinking there is something off going on because the title in question is an empire, maybe? the attacker (my husband lol) is the king of Lotharingia, which is de jure part of the empire of Germania, which has been created. However, when I examine the title page for the Germania title it consists entirely of a bunch of uncreated duchies. Did I screw something up by getting too eager and greedy to create the Germania empire title? Or does my husband control the war target due to some strange computation of his duchies or counties 'held'?
This war is against my husband (who I'm friends with) in support of my 7 year old my cousin/half brother/nephew, so at least I have some classic CK action going on here. And being confused also seems to be classic CK. My baby cousin holds 1 county and my husband holds 33 counties that consist of Germania, so I'm guessing it is that but it would be very nice if the game could give me any more detail. I also control my husband's realm capital, so who knows.

Never give away an empire title to a soon-to-be-murdered family member, I suppose. But... but... the dynasty renown!!

edit: oh my god am i going to have to conquer 33 counties hoping that i can do so faster than how the 'war target' is ticking against me? unless I somehow stumble across *the* county that changes it all. lmfao

edit 2: ahahahaahahahahaa now i am even more baffled, despite the war score being very positively in my favor, it only counts for 4 points in my husband's calculus? because i have never seen 'base reluctance' get scored like this

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 2, 2022

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Oh jesus loving christ it's because only the war leaders can resolve the war. Ignore the entire post, I guess. Actually, no, this still doesn't answer what the 'war target' is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think in this case the war target would be the Empire of Germania?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
What my tiny brain has managed to grasp so far is that "War Target" is the reason for the war being declared. When the war is over a certain county or duchy, then you need to conquer or defend that targeted territory within a certain timeframe, otherwise the war score will slowly start ticking against you. If the war is for anything else / anything bigger, the war target doesn't matter as much and you're just expected to beat the everliving poo poo out of each other to the best of your abilities.

Basically, war for small-ish territory: focus on conquering/defending that territory
Any other war: you can raise your war score however you want

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

global tetrahedron posted:

Oh jesus loving christ it's because only the war leaders can resolve the war. Ignore the entire post, I guess. Actually, no, this still doesn't answer what the 'war target' is.

In your example, the war target is the Empire of Germania. So if we start smaller, with say a duchy level holy war, the attacker controls the war target when he controls all counties the defender holds in that duchy. Imagine the duke of Barcelona controls all but one of the counties of the duchy of Barcelona, the last one (Rosello) being part of France. Then a Muslim neighbor declares a holy war against the duke of Barcelona for the duchy of Barcelona. As long as the duke of Barcelona keeps all his counties in the duchy of Barcelona unoccupied, he controls the war target. And if the attacker sieges down all the duke's counties in Barcelona, he controls the war target. The county of Rosello held by a French vassal doesn't factor into this, neither for the defender nor for the attacker. And it also doesn't matter whether the attacker sieges down the duke's county in Mallorca for example.

This is usually pretty straightforward. Most external wars are wars for specific areas, either to outright conquer them, or to vassalize them. Those are the war targets.

It gets more tricky with internal wars. If an independence factions fires, then those fighting for independence will get a ticking war score for holding the war target as long as none of their holdings have been sieged down. The former liege will control the war target when he has sieged down all the holdings of the vassals seeking independence.

Claimant factions are the most tricky to figure out. I think that your husband gains war score as long as he holds your nephew's capital, which is your nephew's only county in the empire of Germania? In general, recapturing an occupied capital should always be a top priority.

As for lack of acceptance, once war score reaches 100% in your favor, their reluctance to accept peace doesn't matter anymore, you can just force them to surrender.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Blimpkin posted:

Is this working as intended?

I'm hoping that after I conduct a Hajj and get rid of my domain penalty it'll be all good.

Looks familiar

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So the War Target is the provinces that must be held in order for ticking warscore to begin to accumulate. As you've said, it depends wildly based on what exactly the CB is, and you kind of just have to know. But it does outline the war target on the map for any war you're in, it'll be outlined with blue dots.

Some of the common ones based off personal experience:
  • Liberty War: Liege Capital.
  • Independence War (declared): Liege capital.
  • Independence War (faction): faction leader capitals (no I don't know why these are different...)
  • Claim War: the title in question. So for a county it's just the county, for anything bigger it's the complete territory, you must hold/occupy the whole thing to get ticking warscore.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In large-scale wars with huge war targets it's usually best imo to engage your opponent's armies to try to get hostages, and then siege their capital for hostages, and then if that doesn't get you enough war score actually try carpet sieging the war target. If you click the actual war screen I think the war target is outlined in light blue.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I really really love this game:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Has anyone gotten a detente win yet? So far the hardest part of it for me is getting the game to actually move to reconciliation. It seems like everything the AI does moves to hostility like 2x as much. Oh and moving towards hostility for building farms is dumb.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What are the thoughts on absolute crown authority once you’re at empire size? I kind of enjoy watching my vassals map paint without any effort on my part and I have plenty of levies and gold income.

I like having absolute crown authority but handing out kingdom titles. That way the dukes under them are able to spread the borders through outliers but they don't mess with large and established kingdoms. Force partition if any one king gets too big. This way you still expand slowly but you can still designate heir.

If I was actively trying to conquer the world, yeah, I'd just leave it at 2 or 3.

Elias_Maluco posted:

These are 2 things I dont like in CK3: tech (innovations) being tied to specific cultures and the speed you get these innovations being related to average development of the culture (which means smaller cultures are in advantage)

I honestly think CK2 system was better

With royal court you can just diverge right away and be a one province culture no matter where you're at. But I think something like total development would make more sense.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

So the War Target is the provinces that must be held in order for ticking warscore to begin to accumulate. As you've said, it depends wildly based on what exactly the CB is, and you kind of just have to know. But it does outline the war target on the map for any war you're in, it'll be outlined with blue dots.

• Independence War (faction): faction leader capitals (no I don't know why these are different...)
  • Claim War: the title in question. So for a county it's just the county, for anything bigger it's the complete territory, you must hold/occupy the whole thing to get ticking warscore.

The problem with the blue dots being that they're really hard to see, and if you've done something like declare for multiple disjointed territories good luck picking them out at higher levels of zoom. They really should do something else to visualize this.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

In your example, the war target is the Empire of Germania. So if we start smaller, with say a duchy level holy war, the attacker controls the war target when he controls all counties the defender holds in that duchy. Imagine the duke of Barcelona controls all but one of the counties of the duchy of Barcelona, the last one (Rosello) being part of France. Then a Muslim neighbor declares a holy war against the duke of Barcelona for the duchy of Barcelona. As long as the duke of Barcelona keeps all his counties in the duchy of Barcelona unoccupied, he controls the war target. And if the attacker sieges down all the duke's counties in Barcelona, he controls the war target. The county of Rosello held by a French vassal doesn't factor into this, neither for the defender nor for the attacker. And it also doesn't matter whether the attacker sieges down the duke's county in Mallorca for example.

This is usually pretty straightforward. Most external wars are wars for specific areas, either to outright conquer them, or to vassalize them. Those are the war targets.

It gets more tricky with internal wars. If an independence factions fires, then those fighting for independence will get a ticking war score for holding the war target as long as none of their holdings have been sieged down. The former liege will control the war target when he has sieged down all the holdings of the vassals seeking independence.

Claimant factions are the most tricky to figure out. I think that your husband gains war score as long as he holds your nephew's capital, which is your nephew's only county in the empire of Germania? In general, recapturing an occupied capital should always be a top priority.

As for lack of acceptance, once war score reaches 100% in your favor, their reluctance to accept peace doesn't matter anymore, you can just force them to surrender.

I held my nephew's capital, which is still confusing me. And the entire empire is outlined with the blue line.

PittTheElder posted:

This was a claim war, but there is no specific county, it's for the Empire of Germania, that's it.

Fun game, but there are just so many systems man. wow! Anyway I should probably be treating my husband a little better instead of my bratty nephew.

e: also, is being close to 'glorious' for level of splendor in 1279 a decent start if i'm looking to get to legendary? I didn't start focusing on it right away, previously was earning 6-9 renown a month but now I'm up to 19/mo after a big breeding campaign and title shuffle. Math says at this rate I'll garner 41,000~ more renown by the end, looks like 37,000 is required for legendary. I expect to be adding more modifiers to boost the rate, too.

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 3, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I held my nephew's capital, which is still confusing me. And the entire empire is outlined with the blue line.

This was a claim war, but there is no specific county, it's for the Empire of Germania, that's it.

The fun part of a claim war is that you need to claim every holding in the entire claimed title to get ticking war score. So you need to siege every single county, but you'll get enough war score from occupied counties that you'll never reach the ticking war score threshold anyway.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Ha, that was what I had speculated but it seemed so unlike many of the other smaller conquests I'd done I didn't quite believe it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It seems artificially hard to end the Iberian struggle as an outsider, or I'm encountering a bug. Did Spoleto->Italy->Rome in the 867 start, and I haven't been able to end the struggle through the Struggle screen or the "Iberian Foothold" decision despite meeting the criteria for both. When the Hostility phase comes around, the decision to end the Struggle by force still says it isn't in the Hostility phase, despite being so (I've seen this through two full cycles of the phase). For the Foothold decision, I own the Kingdom of Navarre title (still de jure Hispania) and the Kingdom of Valencia (which borders it) has de jure drifted into the Roman Empire. Despite this, the decision checkboxes for "Own an Iberian Kingdom Bordering a Non-Hispania Empire" and "own the title for 15+ years" remain unchecked (I've had this situation with multiple rulers who had the title for 20+ years each, the decision never became available).

The requirement to have your primary kingdom title be monocultural is pretty annoying too, apparently just being a shared religion isn't enough. It took centuries to convert Italy to my custom Italo-Andalusian hybrid. I should have just picked Iberian heritage to become involved in the Struggle when hybridizing...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is there a good way to figure out which, if any, army is being lead by an enemy war leader? I've had a few revolts end abruptly as I stack wipe a force and capture the enemy leader a week into the revolt, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this other than trying to see which ones have a "being lead by ruler" buff.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Warmachine posted:

Is there a good way to figure out which, if any, army is being lead by an enemy war leader? I've had a few revolts end abruptly as I stack wipe a force and capture the enemy leader a week into the revolt, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this other than trying to see which ones have a "being lead by ruler" buff.

Right click on the leader, click that button that sends you to his location

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Right click on the leader, click that button that sends you to his location

:evilbuddy: Wonderful. Between this and the level 3 Pillage dynasty perk, putting down uprisings will be easy. Not that my 90 year old viking emperor has had to do that in a while now...

I've just been rolling with the Control the Mediterranean bug since it is a nice glimpse at what the other perk paths give. I still prefer Blood as my number one, because positive congenital traits and +5 years of life expectancy are really good even in a vacuum. This synergizes well with Kin too, since Graceful Aging can now turn the old Beautiful Herculean Geniuses you can get from Blood into absolute monsters as old age benefits compound.

Pillage would be ranked 3rd on my list, if only because its more narrowly focused than Blood and Kin. Level 3 and Level 4 Pillage are amazing. I'm currently sitting on somewhere around 25k gold by just being a warmongering rear end in a top hat who gets 5 gold for ever 100 enemy casualties inflicted, and ransoms every prisoner ever. I still have like 80 people in jail because no one can afford ransoms anymore.

I haven't tried the Iberian stuff, but the other perk paths are less appealing in relation to how much effort it takes to get dynasty perks after your 10th. Blood and Kin are good all day every day, and Blood is especially good as your first picks since you want to start the breeding program early. It feels like as the game goes on the number of eligible marriage candidates with traits in the wild starts to drop dramatically, and I'm not sure if this is because they all marry up, or if it is because the rate that traits are passed on eventually breeds them out if you aren't artificially selecting for them in your marriages.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I strongly dislike Blood because it's simply too good. Really trivializes the game if every character you play is a beautiful genius. And I never liked the Robust line of perks anyway since it makes your characters live forever.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I just got every dynasty perk because Control the Mediterranean is clearly bugged right now and I get 3100 renown per month.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to do an intrigue run what are my bread and butter moves? Like stack dread I guess, but what else in it really shines? Don’t pick a religion that is incompatible with intriguey things? sell hooks? Profit?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Intrigue mostly an individual character type of thing, good for pushing self and family up the ladder and annoyances down the stairs, but I'm unsure of its merits as a persistent dynasty theme.

I don't think the dread tree is really needed as you're either starting small enough that you have plenty of time to build dread the natural way, or are already at the top and can't get much from the lifestyle anyways. Get hooks, sells hooks, blackmail everybody, be aware that the leftmost tree is stronger than it looks as you can have a murder plot always on the cooker and you'll have tons of friends to make sure it always succeeds. Get your kids married favorably to foreign thrones for juicy reknown thanks to fabricated hooks, get all the good genes/eugenics/40+ stat counselors via marriages as their previous spouses/betrothed keep dying mysteriously (especially that betrothed to the 2nd in line to empire heirs, gently caress 'em), dissolve enemy alliances by killing off the married couples right before you wardec, and if you're feeling pervy go full hog on sleeping with your daughter and having 30 lovers. You will eventually roll the 5% chance to being exposed on murders, oh well! Likewise for infidelity. It's a combined -30 combined iirc, which is rough, but can be worked with. Also infinite cash from the pope as you keep having hooks on him, oops.

The fallout from all this is that your successor can't use find secrets in your own court for a generation or two as the previous ruler has literally hundreds of skeletons in the closet, but it's a small price to pay for causing absolute pandemonium in central europe for a whole lifetime.

edit: I suppose its worth saying that if you really wanted to lean into it and play a small/tall "not-wide" run, intrigue is a good way, as you're gonna want to get your dynasty installed onto all the major thrones across the globe, "peacefully" at that.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 4, 2022

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Does anyone know offhand if there's a way to add area into a struggle zone? Say I'm playing a duke and dejure drift into a spanish kingdom, can I then join the struggle?

Trying to find a way for how to have my capital remain in Cagliari while becoming part of the struggle.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Regions don't change, so that's not possible.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
This is the scariest populist uprising I've had in Crusader Kings. I wonder if my 12k MAA can mow down 200k peasants.

e:

It was the closest I've been to losing a war in 200 years.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 4, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's like 10,000 gold for vikings, goddamn.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The most annoying thing about those size of uprisings is the magically transporting populist leader. Who you’re now chasing down 100 miles away.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does the new expansion pack/update gently caress up older saves at all?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

The most annoying thing about those size of uprisings is the magically transporting populist leader. Who you’re now chasing down 100 miles away.

That's exactly what happened, all the while the War Score ticks negative for me because the uprising which is now besieging 40 counties at once is doing so unmolested. I guess it's actually kinda realistic that way, but at most the leader should only be able to dart away to another army within x distance only. I took his 22k army out in western Germany, and had to capture him in Croatia.

Sidenote, I had a wish for the game that the unit graphics were a little more fun for the style of map we have. For example, and I'll try my best, instead of one unit representing an army a generated "carpet" roams the map like an amoeba. Scale the size of it up or down based on size, add in special units as glistening pixels, siege units creating a ripple in the movement, etc. I think it would just be so cool and engaging to see these in action, raiding and conquering.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The save I'm currently playing was started before the patch and I kept playing through it and my first crash came now just a few minutes ago. I had gotten up to 1360 something, and I think I'll try to push through. Make a backup of the save and give it a go.

I'm playing vanilla though, any mods you might have invalidate my experience.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 4, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

FreudianSlippers posted:

I found two new counties added in FoI to have no religion and no culture, but outside Iberia, it seems fairly ok. But I'll wait until they release hotfix for renown bug mentioned in this thread.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Haven't had any major issues with the patch/DLC playing my pre-patch Roman Empire except for the bug I've mentioned with insane renown payouts for Control the Mediterranean.

I fully control Iberia in my empire, but I assume all of the Iberia stuff doesn't apply because I have no idea if there is a struggle at all since I painted that part of the map 100 years before the patch dropped.

I assume the new dynasty tiers are unique to Iberian dynasties as well? I was expecting Metropolitan to appear on mine, but I just have the usual spread.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Haven't had any major issues with the patch/DLC playing my pre-patch Roman Empire except for the bug I've mentioned with insane renown payouts for Control the Mediterranean.

I fully control Iberia in my empire, but I assume all of the Iberia stuff doesn't apply because I have no idea if there is a struggle at all since I painted that part of the map 100 years before the patch dropped.

I assume the new dynasty tiers are unique to Iberian dynasties as well? I was expecting Metropolitan to appear on mine, but I just have the usual spread.

Yeah, it looks like the new traditions are culture gated like the Norse ones (though I have to imagine Metropolitan will be changed/made available to Merchant Republics, whenever we get those again). My next game will be trying to get Holidaying in Iberia, will see if I can get a Norse/Iberian hybrid with every tradition set in the game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

One thing that I was expecting was to see a Dissolution Faction hit my massive Roman Empire. I have half of Africa, half of the Arabia, all of mainland Europe and Britain painted. The Mongolian Empire was eating up Asia and I was actually stoked to have us meet up and have a throwdown, but they got hit with a Dissolution Faction and the AI absolutely cannot handle it from what I've seen so far. My vassals love me too much to even try it apparently.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

One thing that I was expecting was to see a Dissolution Faction hit my massive Roman Empire. I have half of Africa, half of the Arabia, all of mainland Europe and Britain painted. The Mongolian Empire was eating up Asia and I was actually stoked to have us meet up and have a throwdown, but they got hit with a Dissolution Faction and the AI absolutely cannot handle it from what I've seen so far. My vassals love me too much to even try it apparently.

The Arabian and Byzantine Empires were both hit with dissolution in my last game. Given the frequency of civil wars they each had before FoI, I wouldn't count on either empire lasting past 1000 in most future games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The HRE got hit with a dissolution in my latest Jimena game lmao