Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Slotducks posted:

who cares they'll get bodied by oosterhoff in 2026 after doug takes over the federal leadership after pierre gets exposed as a closetted foot enjoyer
You misspelled Mikey Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Randalor posted:

While the Manitoba NDP party has been regularly making noise, and some press are actually sorta-kinda actually doing their job, seeing this elections results fills me with dread for next year.

I wouldn't lose hope - the NDP candidates here are in the news all the time for good things and call out these pieces of poo poo. Manitoba is an entirely different story than Ontario.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Sashimi posted:

Not a single campaign reached out in my riding in any capacity, not even with a flyer in the mail.

I got bombed with NDP fliers, door hangars, people at my door, texts, phonecalls, it was a bit much frankly.

Liberals didn't do much I think I saw an ad.

Greens left door hangars and showed up on YouTube ads.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
At the provincial level, the Liberals have been eliminated as the left wing opposition to the Cons in favour of the NDP everywhere west of Quebec.

Now how to expand that to the federal level.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Here's a genuine lol on this dark day:

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1532680432742965248

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

less than three posted:

At the provincial level, the Liberals have been eliminated as the left wing opposition to the Cons in favour of the NDP everywhere west of Quebec.

Too bad the NDP are gradually shifting to the right to become the new liberals.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

less than three posted:

I'm sure the Tories would love permanent control over the government of Canada, but I think that's a pretty lovely deal for Canadians.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I think the waiting list to see my family doctor is around 9 months now for non-urgent matters. By the time I can see her I'll probably have to deal with Kaiser Permanente Canada or some bullshit.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

less than three posted:

It would be great if that were actually true IMO but unfortunately more people voted liberal than NDP this election.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Vintersorg posted:

I wouldn't lose hope - the NDP candidates here are in the news all the time for good things and call out these pieces of poo poo. Manitoba is an entirely different story than Ontario.

Yeah the Manitoba NDP are a lot better than ONDP I agree, but never underestimate the stupidity of the average voter.

Having said that, the NDP share of the vote is a lot more efficient in Manitoba too, so even if they win the popular vote by only 3 or 4%, they'll have a good shot at forming a majority. It's just too bad we're still 16 months away from election day and getting rid of these shitheads.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Randalor posted:

While the Manitoba NDP party has been regularly making noise, and some press are actually sorta-kinda actually doing their job, seeing this elections results fills me with dread for next year.
Manitoba (and for that matter all the Western provinces) is effectively a two-party system. There's not a ton of vote splitting by comparison to Ontario, and so despite it being more right wing by most standards than Ontario, the NDP has a good chance of gaining power in the next election.

Same thing in Alberta. Saskatchewan is lost.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

less than three posted:

In BC the Liberals are the Cons.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Starks posted:

It would be great if that were actually true IMO but unfortunately more people voted liberal than NDP this election.

Are two terms in the wilderness enough for the libs to start thinking about proposing some type of proportional representation?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Azerban posted:

Are two terms in the wilderness enough for the libs to start thinking about proposing some type of proportional representation?

Could you trust them to implement it afterward?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

SilverMike posted:

Could you trust them to implement it afterward?

Of course not, I just want to hear them say the words

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McGavin posted:

In BC the Liberals are the Cons.

And sadly the NDP are the libs :(

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
BC politics are weird

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Is that the one she's trying to get her cult to pay for?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah it's just all our politics are an entire step to the right, which sucks. The cons here only exist on paper because the BC Libs are happy to take aboard alt-right christian fascists AND urban realtors who just want to have weaker financial regulations. The NDP then just exist to be the generic centrist party for folks who want to support are job creators and mom and pop landlords but don't really hate gay people or want money laundering legalized. The left simply doesn't exist, I mean it doesn't really anywhere in Canada. But we don't even have a centre-left party that supports unions, Horgan's NDP have been deeply hostile to unions since day one and constantly giving lip service and handouts to business owners and landlords. But he knows he can gently caress unions because who else are they going to vote for, the even more anti-union libs?

And the BC Greens are just conservatives who have purchased a tesla which they use to drive to their oceanfront vacation home which they want to make sure no clear cutting occurs near as it could harm the property values. The BC greens worry that bike lanes could slow down electric vehicles, and if you think about it that's pretty anti-environment.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Even in Ontario, it seems like the NDP is mostly coasting on a pro-union reputation vs. actually proposing doing anything union friendly. The union stronghold cities are still extremely solidly NDP (Horwath got like 60% of the vote here in hamilton), but I can see that starting to bleed to the PCs if they keep up their "liberal, but orange" policies.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Here's a refutal of that national post genocide denial article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opinion-residential-schools-unmarked-graves-denialism-1.6474429

I'm glad to see someone calling it out.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Baronjutter posted:

yeah it's just all our politics are an entire step to the right, which sucks. The cons here only exist on paper because the BC Libs are happy to take aboard alt-right christian fascists AND urban realtors who just want to have weaker financial regulations. The NDP then just exist to be the generic centrist party for folks who want to support are job creators and mom and pop landlords but don't really hate gay people or want money laundering legalized. The left simply doesn't exist, I mean it doesn't really anywhere in Canada. But we don't even have a centre-left party that supports unions, Horgan's NDP have been deeply hostile to unions since day one and constantly giving lip service and handouts to business owners and landlords. But he knows he can gently caress unions because who else are they going to vote for, the even more anti-union libs?

And the BC Greens are just conservatives who have purchased a tesla which they use to drive to their oceanfront vacation home which they want to make sure no clear cutting occurs near as it could harm the property values. The BC greens worry that bike lanes could slow down electric vehicles, and if you think about it that's pretty anti-environment.

Ehhhh it's a bit more complicated than that - the BCNDP are way better than the federal libs on a bunch of stuff like the recent pushing for drug decriminalization, the effort to actually crack down on money laundering, a bunch of massively improved renter's rights legislation, stopped the privatisation of crown corps, the big push to educate people on First Nations history and reconciliation etc...

However they completely loving suck on environmental stuff/resource extraction and are really sorta iffy on labour rights - they rolled back some of the damage the BC Libs did but haven't done much beyond that.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

eXXon posted:

43% turnout. lol, lmao. So proud of our freedoms and democracy.
My vote has never once mattered any time I cast it and I know it and cast it anyways; what the hell's everyone else's excuse?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Alctel posted:

Ehhhh it's a bit more complicated than that - the BCNDP are way better than the federal libs on a bunch of stuff like the recent pushing for drug decriminalization, the effort to actually crack down on money laundering, a bunch of massively improved renter's rights legislation, stopped the privatisation of crown corps, the big push to educate people on First Nations history and reconciliation etc...

However they completely loving suck on environmental stuff/resource extraction and are really sorta iffy on labour rights - they rolled back some of the damage the BC Libs did but haven't done much beyond that.

Getting rid of the $75/month for the Medical Service Plan was nice too. It was kind of weird being the only province that had to (directly) pay for health insurance.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
At least the BCNDP brought back card check, that's pretty cool

Less cool is refusing to build any meaningful amount of social housing or co-ops. Or any? Maybe one in Vancouver's river district??

E:card check means union organizers only need to get a majority of workers to sign union cards for the union to be created.

In BC I believe the threshold is 55% for it to happen without going through the old bs system, which was a majority signing cards + election period in which the employer has free reign to intimidate and propagandize the workers, then election day, THEN the results to see if a union has been created or not

Samuel Glompers fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 4, 2022

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

ontario bad

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2022/5/30/1_5925332.amp.html

Cops training to go undercover is apparently as gross and as stupid as you can imagine! We can only hope it was expensive as well

"Ok Johnson, pretend I'm a mafia don. Prove your loyalty! Let me pee in your mouth"

Samuel Glompers posted:

At least the BCNDP brought back card check, that's pretty cool

Less cool is refusing to build any meaningful amount of social housing or co-ops. Or any? Maybe one in Vancouver's river district??

They built 3 apartment buildings out here in the valley that I know of. Obviously not a meaningful amount but it doesn't seem like they're refusing :shrug:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Blood Boils posted:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2022/5/30/1_5925332.amp.html

Cops training to go undercover is apparently as gross and as stupid as you can imagine! We can only hope it was expensive as well

"Ok Johnson, pretend I'm a mafia don. Prove your loyalty! Let me pee in your mouth"

"He said if I was a proper mujahid, I'd wiz in my own mouth. ... It felt really bad, brother. It's not too tricky once you get the aim right, but it just feels... like really proper wrong. Wee splashing off your teeth."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Your final test of loyalty is the Slurp Ramp.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Blood Boils posted:

They built 3 apartment buildings out here in the valley that I know of. Obviously not a meaningful amount but it doesn't seem like they're refusing :shrug:

Iput the qualifier meaningful right there man! You said it's not meaningful dog!! Vancouver rent's up 26% this year with no meaningful action bro!!!

It's very strange to see them do something, but not something that meets the crisis. It spells out that they know the solution and choose not to do it

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Wait so they're cops, on a course run by cops, and they all know everyone's also a cop, and they're so committed to this hypothetical they're doing that stuff in training?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Oxyclean posted:

what a great political system

OK now I wish I hadn't voted for the NDP just to make the vote number an even 1111111

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

acumen posted:

Wait so they're cops, on a course run by cops, and they all know everyone's also a cop, and they're so committed to this hypothetical they're doing that stuff in training?

It's hazing

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MNIMWA posted:

ontario bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Your final test of loyalty is the Slurp Ramp.

that scandal is in british columbia not toronto

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alctel posted:

Horwath is gone thank gently caress, two elections too late. At least that is one bright spot
:hmmyes:

It's also not like only blue voters turn out for the party name / colour alone. My riding was a nail-biter between the NDP incumbent who fought and spent like crazy to win, and the Liberal candidate who didn't even campaign yet got within a thousand votes of the seat. The CPC candidate looked like he currently goes to the high school up the road from his own campaign office and he still got ~25%.

Also there are ~200 white supremacists and ~1000 anti-vax Don't Say Gay cry babies near me. Great neighbourhood.

Drakyn posted:

My vote has never once mattered any time I cast it and I know it and cast it anyways; what the hell's everyone else's excuse?
...so, yeah. My vote mattered. Always does.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 4, 2022

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm in my 30s and have never been represented at a provincial or federal level by the person I've voted for, it rules.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Tippecanoe posted:

It's hazing

That overwhelmingly was done against female officers based on the descriptions I’m seeing.

Some hosed up pigs getting their jollies off

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Baronjutter posted:

And sadly the NDP are the libs :(

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

BC politics are weird

Not disagreeing but a lot of the difference is that Horgan is in power.

Horwath would have governed to the right of Horgan 100% That is in some bizarro reality where she somehow became Premier, despite having spent the last decade proving that's an existential impossibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Blood Boils posted:

Oh yeah the province also bought up a bunch of hotels in Victoria and turned them into supported housing for homeless people, that was cool

It's these glimmers of actual Good Policy that make it more infuriating when they are lovely