Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I love old school shooters like Quake or Unreal Tournament. It sucks that it's kind of a dead genre. You get some indie devs going into it with some twists or gimmicks but you never hear much of them.

UT99 and UT2004 were some of my favourite games because I could just switch off my brain. I do way too much thinking in my life and a game where you just acted and did, and had fun not thinking was the best. I like story heavy games, and puzzles and intricate systems and all that poo poo, but sometimes I just want to not think and blow stuff up.

Been playing some Serious Sam 4 lately for that itch, and it's nice. The story is deliberately non existent, and the writing is hilarious. They introduce a character and then immediately you forget about them, because none of it matters. But the movement is floaty and old school quick, the shooting is continuous, and it satisfies the brain off urge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

As opposed to what? Going on a payment plan with your service provider? Or is there some kind of crazy phone discount system that I'm totally unaware of?

Buy a phone that's not a just-released newest model still selling for the highest price it will ever be

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

syntaxfunction posted:

I love old school shooters like Quake or Unreal Tournament. It sucks that it's kind of a dead genre. You get some indie devs going into it with some twists or gimmicks but you never hear much of them.

UT99 and UT2004 were some of my favourite games because I could just switch off my brain. I do way too much thinking in my life and a game where you just acted and did, and had fun not thinking was the best. I like story heavy games, and puzzles and intricate systems and all that poo poo, but sometimes I just want to not think and blow stuff up.

Been playing some Serious Sam 4 lately for that itch, and it's nice. The story is deliberately non existent, and the writing is hilarious. They introduce a character and then immediately you forget about them, because none of it matters. But the movement is floaty and old school quick, the shooting is continuous, and it satisfies the brain off urge.

Have you played New Blood's games? Dusk and Amid Evil are excellent and are just what you are looking for.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Give Amid Evil a try if you haven't, it's great.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Buy a phone that's not a just-released newest model still selling for the highest price it will ever be

Yeah, if you aim for "good enough" rather than "cutting edge" you can get something new for like $100-$350 depending on what your needs are.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Definitely gonna check those out, thanks y'all!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm pretty sure the post I was replying to meant "new" as in "not pre-owned" as opposed to "the newest model." If not, then never mind.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I think i like Judgement more than any yakuza game though my love of detective fiction is def making me bias

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

runnypoops posted:

I think i like Judgement more than any yakuza game though my love of detective fiction is def making me bias

i'm playing Lost Judgment now and i think i agree. they have tighter plotting, a little bit less dumb bullshit, and i really like the Tak/Kaito bromance so much

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I can get adrenaline every time my ward breaks. If I go champion I get 25% hp and lose all ailments on me each time I gain ward. Now I can instantly restore my ward with flasks. If I use flask recovery mechanics I should be able to get my ward pretty often. To ensure I break the ward I can use self damage mechanics such as storm secret/gluttony eye of innocence.

I'm so smart. This is a great idea it can't possibly fail.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 3, 2022

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I know someone who took out a personal loan to buy a top of the line new macbook (that he couldn't afford) when he went back to school, instead of just using a cheaper laptop.

I seem to recall there was a period of time about 15 years ago where some schools were being a bit 'highly suggestive' that you needed an Apple computer, specifically. Sort of like how teachers would go, "You'd better have a TI-8X or TI-9X, because if you're using anything else you're not going to use it on tests and you're not getting help from me on how to use it."

Heck, even in non-Apple PCs, I remember a guy whose sister was getting ready to go off to college and the school sent them a spec sheet for the computer they needed to have seemed pretty hefty at the time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

runnypoops posted:

Might it have anything to do with the language?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Duck and Cover posted:

I can get adrenaline every time my ward breaks. If I go champion I get 25% hp and lose all ailments on me each time I gain ward. Now I can instantly restore my ward with flasks. If I use flask recovery mechanics I should be able to get my ward pretty often. To ensure I break the ward I can use self damage mechanics such as storm secret/gluttony eye of innocence.

I'm so smart. This is a great idea it can't possibly fail.

?????

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Duck and Cover is talking about Lemmings.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What's the name of the fps game that's written in a fairly obscure (for video games) programming language? Like the dude singlehandedly wrote an engine in like perl or fortran then made a wicked game.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's the name of the fps game that's written in a fairly obscure (for video games) programming language? Like the dude singlehandedly wrote an engine in like perl or fortran then made a wicked game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/824600/HROT/

quote:

A custom engine written in Pascal imitating 1990s software-style rendering with unfiltered textures and polygon jitter.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

is "custom engine in outdated programming language" actually an effective marketing hook for anyone? I mean, besides bald beard guys.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 3, 2022

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

is "custom engine in outdated programming language" actually an effective marketing hook for anyone? I mean, besides bald beard guys..

The genre of the game is 'boomer shooter' and the entire vibe is trying to replicate early 90s FPS games made by a few dudes who were all insane programming savants with no social skills, so

in this extremely specific niche

yes actually

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

no those were the bald beard guys i was talking about, they don't count

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Duck and Cover is talking about Lemmings.

Me exploding them is merciful as they'd starve to death forever standing there.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Street Fighter 6 has an open world mode and I think that I speak for all of us when I say that it's high time that this thankfully almost ubiquitous mechanic is finally being applied to the fighting game genre.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Breetai posted:

Street Fighter 6 has an open world mode and I think that I speak for all of us when I say that it's high time that this thankfully almost ubiquitous mechanic is finally being applied to the fighting game genre.

:dafuq:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

https://www.nme.com/en_au/news/gaming-news/street-fighter-6-confirms-open-world-mode-with-new-trailer-3239629 posted:

The open world “world tour” mode is described as “a single-player immersive story mode that pushes the boundaries of what a fighting game is and allows you to leave your own legacy within Street Fighter 6 with your player avatar.”

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
do not need any story at all except cool character backstories like "is actually a boy but was raised as a girl by nuns in a convent and hits u with a yoyo" and "street brawler who became a catholic priest and also has a jaguar head"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's probably just gonna be something like the Soul Calibur campaign modes, some of which owned hard, but they're calling it open world

or it's gonna be a terrible and hilarious abomination like the Mortal Kombat open world PS2 games

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

is "custom engine in outdated programming language" actually an effective marketing hook for anyone? I mean, besides bald beard guys.

"besides the entirety of the hardcore gamer demographic" lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't see why it won't be like Virtua Quest, a small hub zone where you do quests which all culminate in fights. I think its gonna be way more similar to that or Yakuza 0-6 than like, Assassins Creed.

Reminder, Virtua Quest sucked

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

"besides the entirety of the hardcore gamer demographic" lol

hardcore gamer demographic means teenagers who own mountan dew branded underwear

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Breetai posted:

A few months ago I played an open world fighting game. It was released in early 1989.

And then another one was released two weeks later.

Honestly, the first one, Hissatsu Doujou Yaburi, is a really forward thinking, ambitious design that got let down because mo one knew how to make fighting games yet. The other one, Keru Naguruu wasn't as ambitious as it basically married a fighting game to a Dragon Quest style map and just had you search the whole thing for ability upgrades. It plays a bit better, though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Random Stranger posted:

it basically married a fighting game to a Dragon Quest style map and just had you search the whole thing for ability upgrades. It plays a bit better, though.

Can't wait to spend hours grinding in order to unlock a Shin shoryuken maybe they can make it like COD where in order to access certain abilities in multiplayer you need to get xp and the sell xp booster packs for real world money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like that's kind of going back to the roots where fighting games diverged from beat em ups.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wasn't there a Tekken on the PS3/360 that did some sort of blended fighting game/beat 'em up mechanic? I think they were two separate game modes, though, or maybe the BEU mode let you toggle your stance to go into fighting game alignment. Can't fully remember.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
nothing can compete with the pinnacle of open world fighting game, Dragonball Xenoverse

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

hardcore gamer demographic means teenagers who own mountan dew branded underwear

I'm not picking that up it drops unidentified and is probably crap.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure SF6's open world mode will be a mostly or entirely single player feature, basically a new take on the classic campaign mode. If you're a hardcore gamer who just wants to jump into online 1v1s you'll still be able to do that.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Don't give a poo poo about SF6. I cared about Street Fighter 2 in like, 1992 when we'd gather around the SNES. My interest in the genre has dwindled through the years to absolute nothing, it kinda trips me out that people still play fighting games in tyool 2022.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's fun to push butan and punch dudes

fighting games also have pretty much the best community of all "competition-focused" game genres. i think because it's mostly 1v1 it ends up being waaaaay less toxic than team-based stuff like overwatch or league of legends. instead most of the community is focused on having a positive self-improvement mindset which is great

e: also because the genre originated from arcades where people would actually touch grass interact with each other face-to-face and not just through a computer screen

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 4, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tekken rules in this day, as it has since the day digital god descended from on high and granted us mortals Tekken 3

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Also one of the top fighting game community players is a queer POC furry and the salt that causes among bigots is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A woman is (part? Majority?) owner of the largest fighting game tournament in English.