Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Extra row of tits posted:

If im writing a question in a body of text, and its not a quote, do I need to put quote marks around it still?

Example:

When considered as the question Did the coach make the objectives of their session clear? The following comparisons can be made

You could do that, or you could reword it:

"When the question of whether the coach made the objectives of their session clear is considered, the following comparisons can be made:"
"When we consider the question of whether the coach made the objectives of their session clear, we can make the following comparisons:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://imgur.com/a/3iCyeiQ

So, I made these hardboiled eggs. Only one of them turned out looking alright (you can tell which from the pics, it's the only one that doesn't have gross stains on it). What is going on with my eggs? I bought these free-range eggs a few days ago and they've been refrigerated perfectly. To cook them, I pop them in the pressure cooker for 4 minutes and immediately vent after.

If I eat these eggs, are they gonna make me sick? Is it bacterial? Did I just get unlucky and buy the grossest batch of eggs at the supermarket or what.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

P sure that's just the yolks settling close to the bottom of the egg. If you slice them in half you'll see the yolk is all on one side.

That doesn't happen as often if you boil them in a pot of water because they are floating around

E: the yolk will also get a little discoloured if one part gets extra heat. I think? I don't like hardboiled eggs :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 4, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah those look fine, though imo hard boiling is just about the worst tasting way to cook and consume eggs! Soft boiling is where it’s at.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kedo posted:

hard boiling is just about the worst tasting way to cook and consume eggs
But it's step one to creating devilled eggs, the most delicious way to consume eggs.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You have me there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I watched "Green Book" last night, and it got me wondering - how do they do scenes in movies like this where an actor has to (fairly convincingly) play an instrument at a very high level? There's no way the actor can get up to that level for the movie, so obviously they're not actually playing what we hear. Do they just train at good faking? Is there some super tricky camera work or CGI going on that I missed?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hooah posted:

I watched "Green Book" last night, and it got me wondering - how do they do scenes in movies like this where an actor has to (fairly convincingly) play an instrument at a very high level? There's no way the actor can get up to that level for the movie, so obviously they're not actually playing what we hear. Do they just train at good faking? Is there some super tricky camera work or CGI going on that I missed?

There are people who train actors to look like they're playing instruments (which is different than training them to actually play the instrument) and depending on the budget of the movie they will get some amount of time with the trainer. But more importantly they will frame the shots so that you rarely see the actors hands and face in the same shot--when you just see hands that is another person who actually knows how to play. (This is broadly true in any scene showing an actor doing something technical or athletic: if you don't see their face in the shot, it's not the actor, it's someone else.) Also some instruments are given more attention to looking "realistic"--guitars and pianos are usually done well, ie when you see the fingers on the instrument, it's pretty close to looking like they're playing what we're hearing on the soundtrack. But other instruments are notorious for movies getting them wrong--if you ever see someone playing a harmonica or a trumpet on screen they are almost never acting like they are playing anything resembling what we are hearing, I guess directors don't give a poo poo since you can't see the actors mouth.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hooah posted:

I don't know about the specific example, but in some cases, the actor actually plays the instrument (low chance). In other cases, the camera subtly (or not) omits the actor's face or the instrument, allowing for a double to play the part.
Or, you know, they get two weeks lessons which is enough to fake it for enough for most people.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's worth bearing in mind that movies get poo poo wrong all the time...because the stuff they're getting wrong is stuff that most people don't have any context for, and won't be able to identify as being wrong. If you ask an expert about how X is depicted in a movie, at best they'll say "well, it's clear they did their research, but they had to make a bunch of compromises for the sake of getting the movie out the door". More common is "it's clear they did the bare minimum of research and just slapped together a scene that would look plausible to the person on the street, because this is completely wrong."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's worth bearing in mind that movies get poo poo wrong all the time...because the stuff they're getting wrong is stuff that most people don't have any context for, and won't be able to identify as being wrong. If you ask an expert about how X is depicted in a movie, at best they'll say "well, it's clear they did their research, but they had to make a bunch of compromises for the sake of getting the movie out the door". More common is "it's clear they did the bare minimum of research and just slapped together a scene that would look plausible to the person on the street, because this is completely wrong."

see this whole series of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbmiqUpTL4w

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
To add some context, I do have musical training (undergrad in music, but not on piano), so I was wondering how they managed to make the piano playing in that movie look fairly convincing. Sounds like this instance was more of the "train the actor to fake it well" since a lot of the shots had both his face and hands.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
(My favorite example of breaking down how a movie had to make compromises is this extremely extended series of blog posts about the Battle of Helm's Deep in the movie version of The Two Towers, and how it compares to both the book and actual battlefield tactics and strategy)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

hooah posted:

To add some context, I do have musical training (undergrad in music, but not on piano), so I was wondering how they managed to make the piano playing in that movie look fairly convincing. Sounds like this instance was more of the "train the actor to fake it well" since a lot of the shots had both his face and hands.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used some kind of CGI for that movie. Ali started learning to play piano for that role. For most actors, I would expect that would be enough to learn how to sit at a piano and look like you know what you're doing, but maybe they drilled the particular sections you see him play, and he was able to play it confidently enough and close enough that the dub looks like it makes sense.

And, just a bit of movie making: The piano was almost certainly overdubbed, even if he was a pro piano player. That's just how they get movie audio to sound good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

Yeah those look fine, though imo hard boiling is just about the worst tasting way to cook and consume eggs! Soft boiling is where it’s at.

I think I'm just going to stop pressure cooking them and start steaming them instead. I think it may be happening because I'm overshooting the mark by a minute or two but that's enough to cause those gross reactions to happen. Soft boiled is the best, but I'm eating them at work and prefer hard boiled. Soft boiled is for luxurious eating at home, hard boiled is utilitarian and efficient.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Eggs go grey if you overcook em. Poached is a great way to enjoy egg imo.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah pressure cooking to hard boil eggs seems like a recipe for disaster, the margin of error between good and overcooked is already just a few minutes in a regular pot and I can only imagine pressure cooking reduces that to one minute or less, which might be equivalent to the pressure release time or something

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I tried to connect dual monitors (win 8.1, displayport to TV and oldstyle monitor cable to pc monitor) and my PC poo poo the bed in a serious way and I'm afraid to try it again without like downloading some software or something. Any help?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I tried to connect dual monitors (win 8.1, displayport to TV and oldstyle monitor cable to pc monitor) and my PC poo poo the bed in a serious way and I'm afraid to try it again without like downloading some software or something. Any help?

What actually happened? If you have a graphics card, do you have the software associated with it? For example, Geforce Experience or the aptly named Radeon Software?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My wife and I have about 100 GB of mp3s between us, and we have a nice stereo with an aux input that we sometimes hook a phone up to or whatever. We'd love some kind of crappy lil computer that we can just leave over by the stereo, with a thumb drive full of our mp3s. Bonus points if it can also stream stuff but not necessary.

The natural choice seems like some kind of raspberry pi thing, or maybe even a sansa clip or something but I don't think those hold enough memory... ideally I'd just like it to be compact, simple, and easy to turn on and off. Any thoughts? I have a raspberry pi with a media center on it but it's a mess of wires and a bulky keyboard so that's my only hesitation on that avenue, but if there's a neat way to do display and input then I'm willing to do the work of setting it up

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

alnilam posted:

My wife and I have about 100 GB of mp3s between us, and we have a nice stereo with an aux input that we sometimes hook a phone up to or whatever. We'd love some kind of crappy lil computer that we can just leave over by the stereo, with a thumb drive full of our mp3s. Bonus points if it can also stream stuff but not necessary.

The natural choice seems like some kind of raspberry pi thing, or maybe even a sansa clip or something but I don't think those hold enough memory... ideally I'd just like it to be compact, simple, and easy to turn on and off. Any thoughts? I have a raspberry pi with a media center on it but it's a mess of wires and a bulky keyboard so that's my only hesitation on that avenue, but if there's a neat way to do display and input then I'm willing to do the work of setting it up

Can always go the network attached storage route, https://www.synology.com/en-us/products?tower=ds_j%2Cds_plus%2Cds_value%2Cds_xs

Some can be pretty pricy, but also some budget brands that you might be interested in.

QNAP is another brand that you can look into as well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing nearly that complicated. A little computer with attached physical storage with all our mp3s on it, and a simple interface to browse and play them, bonus points if it can parse id3s but if not we have them well organized in directories anyway

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

What actually happened? If you have a graphics card, do you have the software associated with it? For example, Geforce Experience or the aptly named Radeon Software?

I don't think I have a graphics card on this PC

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I don't think I have a graphics card on this PC

It's probably an issue with the resolutions being different. I'm assuming you have the TV as the primary, then a smaller monitor that you're trying to use as an extended display? And the TV is way higher resolution than the smaller? If you make the lower res monitor your primary, then duplicate rather than extend the displays, you should at least be able to verify if that's the issue.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

I think I'm just going to stop pressure cooking them and start steaming them instead. I think it may be happening because I'm overshooting the mark by a minute or two but that's enough to cause those gross reactions to happen. Soft boiled is the best, but I'm eating them at work and prefer hard boiled. Soft boiled is for luxurious eating at home, hard boiled is utilitarian and efficient.

Oh, yeah, are you pressure cooking them submerged in the water? Mine come out perfect at 4 minutes and immediate release because I use the steamer basket

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

alnilam posted:

The natural choice seems like some kind of raspberry pi thing, or maybe even a sansa clip or something but I don't think those hold enough memory... ideally I'd just like it to be compact, simple, and easy to turn on and off.
The lowest hassle solution is a bluetooth receiver for that aux input. Fairly cheap too.

If you really want it to be its own thing, perhaps an old secondhand phone with a big sd card you leave attached permanently? There are bluetooth remote controls you could use to control a music player on that.

Anything else that's halfway slick is going to be expensive.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

It's probably an issue with the resolutions being different. I'm assuming you have the TV as the primary, then a smaller monitor that you're trying to use as an extended display? And the TV is way higher resolution than the smaller? If you make the lower res monitor your primary, then duplicate rather than extend the displays, you should at least be able to verify if that's the issue.

They seem to be the same resolution. PC considers the TV the primary. Duplicate does work fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Yeah pressure cooking to hard boil eggs seems like a recipe for disaster, the margin of error between good and overcooked is already just a few minutes in a regular pot and I can only imagine pressure cooking reduces that to one minute or less, which might be equivalent to the pressure release time or something

Did this for years before going vegan. You just release the pressure and remove the heat at 4 minutes. Perfect eggs every time.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

alnilam posted:

If you have a Smart TV that's also connected to this, DLNA is probably supported on the TV and you can just host and stream the music from any PC in the house.

Alternately, if the stereo supports Airplay and you're iPhone users, that's a fantastic option. Either stream straight from the phones or leave an old PC running iTunes and use the "Remote" app on iOS to stream from that PC.

However, the other suggestions in thread are equally solid. If you're happy with the Pi other than the mess of cables, consider getting a compact, wireless keyboard.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I "hard boil" mine in an air fryer (specifically an Instant Pot Duo Crisp) and they come out great. 250 degrees for 16 minutes. Make sure you stick them in an icewater bath after you pull them out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

alnilam posted:

You could buy a crappy old/refurbished touchscreen phone for like 50bux on ebay? Get one with an sd card slot and just stick a 128gb sd card in there (~$15-$20).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, that sounds like a job for a refurbished smartphone/tablet and a big micro-sd card. You'll never beat it for size and cable management, and display/input are built in.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

What would my software associated with my graphics be if I don't have a graphics card?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

What would my software associated with my graphics be if I don't have a graphics card?

Just the driver, probably provided by the OS when it detected the card

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mescal posted:

You'll still have a driver associated with the graphics hardware in your CPU. Do you know what model the CPU is?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I found the drivers, my PC said they were current, and I got a more recent driver from Intel's driver wizard anyway. Backed up my old ones and we'll see what happens after I restart!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

I am watching “Une Mère Parfaite,” why is this girl in a French prison wearing a Minnesota shirt??

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Koivunen posted:

I am watching “Une Mère Parfaite,” why is this girl in a French prison wearing a Minnesota shirt??
Prisoners in France apparently just wear normal civilian clothes provided by the prison. Likely whoever orders clothes for the prison cares more about cost than style and Minnesota shirts were cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I kind of like the idea of prisoners being promoted or demoted to shirts from more or less attractive vacation destinations depending on their behavior. “Your bunk’s not made again, Dubois; take off that Venice sweatshirt and put on this Nebraska one.”