Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
NASCAR 2022: this is some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Safety isn't important in a non-points race, but rules are. They couldn't send Blaney down pit road without making him lose position in an exhibition race why? Oh, because a petty tyrant with the rulebook probably thought it was obnoxious of him to assume he won when only they say he did.

It's a shame that there are so many ways that NASCAR beclowned itself that we will talk about besides the fact that it was terrible to move the all-star race to one of the most boring tracks they run. I hope they find that whatever sweetheart tax break Abbott gave them to do it wasn't worth it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lol

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Pinecone Sample posted:

It's a shame that there are so many ways that NASCAR beclowned itself that we will talk about besides the fact that it was terrible to move the all-star race to one of the most boring tracks they run.

It's not like Charlotte is really any different than Texas, so with the exception of the 2020 race at Bristol (which only happened because even North Carolina wasn't willing to go as far down the "COVID is just the flu and/or a hoax and if a bunch of old farts have to die for the sake of the economy, well, that's a sacrifice we're willing to make!" rabbit hole as Tennessee), that's just par for the course.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I didn't miss anything by reading insead of watching the poo poo show.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

what even is the point of the all star race? it's just a normal race but with stupid rules and cody ware isn't there

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The irony in all this is that NASCAR actually called a rule correctly yet, had it cost Blaney in the end, the uproar would have been (deservedly) even more deafening than it is.

They're lucky he still won. Really, REALLY lucky.

e-

chamois posted:

what even is the point of the all star race? it's just a normal race but with stupid rules and cody ware isn't there

It used to be a unique race with fun rules and special paint schemes which were unique specific to the event.

Then the Brian France era happened and it, eventually, became a normal race with stupid rules and the paint schemes aren't so special because every team has like 6 sponsors now. The fun rules (invert the field after one of the segments) became "The leader at the end of the stage, whose number is taken and divided by the square root of Pi, plus the year of their birth, minus 3 will start the final stage in 17th".

It was also considered a home game for race teams because it was run at Charlotte and the Open could at least have the benefit of being a test session for the 600 if you didn't advance. The idea of rotating it between tracks is A Bad Idea because, unlike FOOTBAWW/baseball/hockey/basketball, every venue is not fairly similar to all the others and so, by moving it, you run the risk of running it at a turd of a racetrack. Like Texas Motor Speedway.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 23, 2022

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

If they're gonna keep the Cup schedule the way it is right now with only one off weekend all season, the All Star race really should be in Charlotte, just to give the teams some time at home.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

to me it seems clear that bristol dirt should be the all star race. give texas the bristol date if you have to (but actually just do 3 bristol dates a year)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

chamois posted:

to me it seems clear that bristol dirt should be the all star race. give texas the bristol date if you have to (but actually just do 3 bristol dates a year)

Texas got the All-Star Race because Eddie Gossage said NASCAR would run a race at COTA over his dead body and, welp, they moved one of his dates to COTA anyway and had to fend off what would inevitably be a temper tantrum.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Texas got the All-Star Race because Eddie Gossage said NASCAR would run a race at COTA over his dead body and, welp, they moved one of his dates to COTA anyway and had to fend off what would inevitably be a temper tantrum.

Fun fact about Texas -- when it was new, they had a huge problem with the substrate on the track. I was at an event there in the '90s and the track would literally shift under your feet, you could move it back and forth... and that was in the middle of a turn. :ohdear:

I'm headed to Charlotte this weekend, anyone else going?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

meatpimp posted:

Fun fact about Texas -- when it was new, they had a huge problem with the substrate on the track. I was at an event there in the '90s and the track would literally shift under your feet, you could move it back and forth... and that was in the middle of a turn. :ohdear:

I'm headed to Charlotte this weekend, anyone else going?

i went to the first three races and boy was it great watching this zillion dollar race track completely forget how drainage or asphalt works

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I’m so glad this sport is done with that empty-headed prick

quote:

R: A track isn’t much different than a house in that random things are likely to need attention. The challenges TMS has faced are pretty well documented -–the weepers in Turn 2 nearly two decades ago, drainage problems and the events that led to the recent repave and reconfiguration. Was there any challenge you were hit with and genuinely didn’t know how you were going to end up?

EG: Turn 2 is a handful. I don’t think you apologize for that. They didn’t apologize for the tunnel turn in Pocono. You don’t apologize because the track is so narrow at Darlington. There’s bumps in Turn 4 at Charlotte. There were weepers at Richmond. There were weepers at Kansas. That’s unfortunately not unique to us. The tough one was those first couple of years. The geometry as you’d come off of (Turns) 2 and 4, and then the water coming through the track, had to be addressed. People that don’t live here don’t have a full appreciation for how much the earth moves in North Texas.

Ultimately, we had to build a bridge. People don’t realize the track sits on a concrete bridge underground now so that it won’t move and so that it has a way to drain. I’m not an engineer. I did not design this place. To this day, I don’t have anything to say. I’m not involved in the paving or the mix, it’s not what I do. No track president does.

He is also a weird dude who is probably lying here

quote:

But the thing about this place is that since that (first) phone call, it’s been 24/7. I’ve been 110 percent committed. There’s been nothing else, unfortunately, in my life, really, except do this. Even when I’m not here, you’re thinking about it. Ask the staff, they’ll get an email from me at 2 a.m. or 9 p.m. or whatever. I don’t stop because I’m constantly thinking about it. That’s the only way I know to do what we’ve done here. I’m not asking them to answer my email at 9 p.m. or 2 a.m. It’s just, that’s what I’m thinking is I need to tell them, ask them whatever it is and they can answer the next day. They all know that, but the brain is engaged all the time. I don’t want to be that engaged.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Got an email from CMS that my tickets to the 600 were changed. Terrace Box seat that I had already downloaded a ticket for is no longer available and they bumped me up to a vip suite. Is this good?

It looks like my seat changed from the entrance to pit road to the end of Turn 4. I know the food will be better, but will we lose the impact if we're behind glass? We plan on hitting the xfinity race on Saturday and it'll just be grandstand seating, so I think we'll get the experience covered overall, but is there anything I should be concerned about?

Edit: Also, I have already bought pit passes, and the VIP tickets include that... can I give the pit passes to the rando behind me when I check in?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 26, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

they check IDs for infield passes so probably not

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1529825258412204042?s=20&t=iOmSRbLA_Ukxe5OEz_43qg

This sounds cool as hell

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Got an email from CMS that my tickets to the 600 were changed. Terrace Box seat that I had already downloaded a ticket for is no longer available and they bumped me up to a vip suite. Is this good?

The suites are super comfortable and will keep you out of any weather/sun. Ask around when you get there, with a suite ticket you should still be able to get down around the track for at least a restart or something. Charlotte sounds the best after about a lap or so to let them get up to speed. You used to be able to get right down by the fence but I don't know anymore.

kidcoelacanth posted:

they check IDs for infield passes so probably not

Do they check for cold passes? I've never had them at Charlotte, just work related passes. I've never had to give an ID, just wave the little placard around and wander off.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i believe so yes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/bubbawallace/status/1530216324449845249?s=21

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently Cody Ware's high school bullies set him on fire with a molotov cocktail

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
1, 2, trackhouse! Jesus that 99 car is fast!

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Not any more oof.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MJ and Denny need to fire every crew member on the 23.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Holy poo poo that was a long race. Tons of cool pics from the last two days, though. The highlight was my son getting to sit in Austin dillons backup car.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo that was a long race. Tons of cool pics from the last two days, though. The highlight was my son getting to sit in Austin dillons backup car.

they shoulda put him in the primary car and let him run the 600

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The DJD Mayfield podcast this week is really good.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

What a drat rabbit hole. I know we all jumped on the Methfield jokes but drat. Dude got screwed, it sounds like.

I love that Junior is still using his voice to ask questions that drivers and crew members haven't historically been able to ask. Between his podcast and Door Bumper Clear I always look forward to listening. I'm excited about the adopted Indy podcast as well.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mischief posted:

What a drat rabbit hole. I know we all jumped on the Methfield jokes but drat. Dude got screwed, it sounds like.

I love that Junior is still using his voice to ask questions that drivers and crew members haven't historically been able to ask. Between his podcast and Door Bumper Clear I always look forward to listening. I'm excited about the adopted Indy podcast as well.

Dude got royally hosed all the way around. NASCAR hosed him and that snitch that hid poo poo on his property and then claimed Mayfield was running a burglary ring. Crazy poo poo.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

This xfinity series race in Portland is mayhem.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It’s very stupid. Just so very stupid.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Ungratek posted:

It’s very stupid. Just so very stupid.

That's a weird way to spell amazing.

That poo poo was awesome.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

As a race, it was awful. As television, it was fantastic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dumping the leader under caution is sure something, it was Ty Gibbs though so it's hard to be upset.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

big nipples big life posted:

Dumping the leader under caution is sure something, it was Ty Gibbs though so it's hard to be upset.

Yea I laughed

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

mearn posted:

As a race, it was awful. As television, it was fantastic.

Agreed. I'd say the only racing that happened was for the lead at the end but at least that was good. I also can't believe they didn't have 1 good camera angle of what happened between Creed and Gibbs. Like did Ty lock up and take them both out or was he looking for payback on the earlier bump Creed gave him and accidentally took himself out with him?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Ross did nothing wrong!

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

there seems to be some massive contingent of hamlin fans on twitter. i can't be the only one who thinks the guys is a kyle busch level dickhead, right?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

chamois posted:

there seems to be some massive contingent of hamlin fans on twitter. i can't be the only one who thinks the guys is a kyle busch level dickhead, right?

He's an rear end in a top hat for sure

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hamlin is an rear end in a top hat but he definitely got punted today by Chastain today.

Kyle is the best though not sure where that opinion comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I don't know what to make of that but Denny sure made an rear end of race control.

Is it that the consensus up there was that Ross deserved it so NASCAR just let it go on and on? Is it that Denny has found he can just take on endless warnings if he doesn't go as far as spinning someone out? Is it that TV really wanted a beef to go even further than that so they could get some promo footage?

He should have been black flagged, maybe parked.

I just think everyone's gotta see that you just about can't get a penalty or punishment that's not equipment or pit related, and I'm not sure where that leads.

Track seems okay. And I did not need to see every drat Cardinals hat in the crowd but that's FOX for you.