Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think players who act like the game doesn’t involve actual people with actual emotions tend to lose. Like that’s why Mike lost. He wasn’t a bad dude and he didn’t treat people badly but he could only see his game from his own perspective and rationalizations of “I only betrayed you because you betrayed me first”. He couldn’t see how his actions affected the Jury until it was too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Studio posted:

A huge part of Survivor is that they're not total strangers by the end of the game, or even early vote outs, and many of the players end up staying friends post-game. Emotions are good, bring 'em on!!!

My comment was more about the escalation to "gaslighting" for someone who you've peripherally known for like 4 days. Like, a lie in a game like survivor doesn't work unless you commit, and Hai is relentless with questions/etc as we saw so yes Romeo needed to be persistent with his lies or get called out on them. It's the structure of the game, not gaslighting. People who get upset that someone lied in a game of self preservation and deception (particularly with the new insane twists that encourage blindsiding) need to chill.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

SweetJahasus posted:

My comment was more about the escalation to "gaslighting" for someone who you've peripherally known for like 4 days. Like, a lie in a game like survivor doesn't work unless you commit, and Hai is relentless with questions/etc as we saw so yes Romeo needed to be persistent with his lies or get called out on them. It's the structure of the game, not gaslighting. People who get upset that someone lied in a game of self preservation and deception (particularly with the new insane twists that encourage blindsiding) need to chill.

Totally agree on a logical level. But who knows how I would feel after weeks with no food, exhaustion and could only talk to people who are constantly lying to me. I like to think I’d be immune to the gameplay and be a gracious loser, but sometimes you just dont like a dude and want to make sure someone else wins the million

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Leatherhead posted:

I really dug Hai all season, but I think 'gaslight' is a bit strong to describe lying on Survivor. From the exit press I read, it sounds like he was irritated because Romeo kept invoking his religion when lying, and Hai is an atheist.

He and Hai are cool now. Hai has been posting photos from the finale party, and it seems like people were hanging out in cliques. Hai's photos have all been of him hanging out with Romeo, Drea, Chanelle, Lydia, and Tori.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pandaal posted:

No, the immediate post-vote "reunion" is terrible. After a predictably near-unanimous vote, at one point Jeff asked the jury if any of them were going to vote for Mike (just to twist the knife I guess) and got some half-hearted "eh maybe" responses that Mike got to try to ruminate on while housing cold pizza. It was a mess lol.

Does anybody actually buy the "I don't already have my mind made up" line from the folks who have been hanging out at Ponderosa together for a week+? How many of the last 5 seasons have been unanimous or nearly so? How is the audience supposed to believe that the jury interview matters and doesn't just make for a little drama before they pick the winner?

That said, I'm stoked Maryanne won. The edit made it pretty predictable but she seems like an all around sweet person and she played the modern game post-merge.

I think it's kind of the benefit to Jeff reading the votes and then moving into the reunion right away. The jury can have a pretty honest look at themselves and actually not have their mind up and also know / remember that their mind was not made up when Jeff asks that question. I think there's a pretty good chance many jury members in the past have been pretty honest in asking the jury questions and being swayed on who to vote for. And really if everyone on the jury went into the final tribal every season, knowing who they would vote for, I think that the producers would reduce the amount of importance they put on the final jury questions.

I also think of all the seasons, Maryanne's jury speech most definitely swayed some votes her way, although she likely would have won the majority anyway. I can't imagine the jury went into the tribal going to go 8-1 for Maryanne. With everyone sharing advantages and idols this season, it likely was a pretty loving big deal that she pulled out an idol that she'd had since the merge and nobody knew about it.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 29, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I can't remember but why didn't Maryanne play her idol on the last chance?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

CODChimera posted:

I can't remember but why didn't Maryanne play her idol on the last chance?

To prove how in control she was late game, since she was still idoled in that vote. It's very slick

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Important news, Cameo Prices are out for S42.

Jackson having a cameo is extremely funny, imo.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Studio posted:

To prove how in control she was late game, since she was still idoled in that vote. It's very slick

oh right yeah that was the last vote in which mike gave her his one. just stunning stuff all round

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

With everyone sharing advantages and idols this season, it likely was a pretty loving big deal that she pulled out an idol that she'd had since the merge and nobody knew about it.

Not quite merge, she found it I believe at final 8 after playing her first one with Drea at the split tribal the night before.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Studio posted:

Important news, Cameo Prices are out for S42.

Jackson having a cameo is extremely funny, imo.

It there was one thing I was certain of before I clicked that link it was that Rocksroy was absolutely not getting anywhere near that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Hai is using “gaslight” in the late millennial/early gen-z meaning of the term, which is to say “disagreeing with me or telling me I’m wrong, or being deceitful or manipulative.”

He is not using it in the accepted use of the term, which is “an orchestrated campaign to drive one insane through making them doubt their own perceptions by purposefully changing reality then convincing them it was that way the whole time.”

Which it suddenly occurs to me was part of the mental torture used on Filitov in Cardinal of the Kremlin, but before the word was associated with the idea.

Anywho, I think Maryanne won in tribal. She clearly has public speaking training she employed (but is still young and inexperienced enough to not slow down enough) but pulling the idol and detailing the plan cinched it.

The closest any final tribal candidate has come to flat out saying “yeah I lied, it’s part of the game. It doesn’t reflect on how I treat people out of the game, any more than bluffing in poker or being ruthless in monopoly does” is Lil the scout master.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheCenturion posted:

Hai is using “gaslight” in the late millennial/early gen-z meaning of the term, which is to say “disagreeing with me or telling me I’m wrong, or being deceitful or manipulative.”

He is not using it in the accepted use of the term, which is “an orchestrated campaign to drive one insane through making them doubt their own perceptions by purposefully changing reality then convincing them it was that way the whole time.”

Which it suddenly occurs to me was part of the mental torture used on Filitov in Cardinal of the Kremlin, but before the word was associated with the idea.

https://twitter.com/giangyhai/status/1530973378181582854

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

TheCenturion posted:

The closest any final tribal candidate has come to flat out saying “yeah I lied, it’s part of the game. It doesn’t reflect on how I treat people out of the game, any more than bluffing in poker or being ruthless in monopoly does” is Lil the scout master.

Actually (and I only know this cause I just rewatched Cook Island with a friend), Yul Kwon says almost exactly that in response to Penner's final tribal council question. Which coincidentally is the same season Penner says "There's no villain in monopoly. There's no villain in a poker tournament."

Also, cool to see Hai acknowledge the weird choice of words.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

This is cool and good that Hai at least recognized the gaffe and copped to it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think it's bad, but only because there's a day left in Meltdown May

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm back on the Hai train

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's a great example of someone just being like my bad instead of doubling down it y enjoying weasel words

I misspoke and I'm sorry. Done. Respect.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Cool, good on him.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Great season and a fun time!

Interested in more survivor?!

I'm running the next Something Awful Survivor and am looking for a launch in late June. If you're interested in participating (new players and veterans alike are encouraged to apply) head over here and apply! It's going to look a bit different from previous survivor seasons, but it should still be a fun and good time!

https://forms.gle/tA69kyHHnpMt1Brd6

Chili fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 31, 2022

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

(What's a FRG)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Studio posted:

(What's a FRG)

Forum Reality Game, think these sorts of games are more commonly referred to as ORG (online reality game).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I absolutely buy that Maryann won that in tribal. It wasn’t just that perfectly timed and described idol reveal and strategy lay out, it was Mike just completely missing what the jury wanted him to say. If Mike owns his poo poo and gives them what they want and/or Maryann doesn’t have that bomb then that felt like it was going the other way.
I think even if Mike gave them what they wanted, it would've been tight since Maryanne also delivered. People really went in I think wanting to vote Maryanne but not knowing if there was a case, and then she won them all over, and if that part of FTC stays the same it would've been neck and neck even with a decent Mike performance.

Interestingly Maryanne apparently didn't pull out the unused idol until after FTC was almost over. Jeff was ready to call the vote and the jurors asked for more time before she ended up showing that off.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hai may not have won but I feel like he's the hero of s42. Helping Romeo come to terms with his sexuality was very cool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

I think even if Mike gave them what they wanted, it would've been tight since Maryanne also delivered. People really went in I think wanting to vote Maryanne but not knowing if there was a case, and then she won them all over, and if that part of FTC stays the same it would've been neck and neck even with a decent Mike performance.

Interestingly Maryanne apparently didn't pull out the unused idol until after FTC was almost over. Jeff was ready to call the vote and the jurors asked for more time before she ended up showing that off.

I do agree that the idol bomb probably would have got her the win even if Mike had done a better job. But it might not have been so lopsided. I felt like that tribal went in feeling like Mike played the best game but not really happy about rewarding him unless he owned it. Whether that means they wanted to give Maryanne the win I don't know but I definitely think they were looking for her or Romeo to convince them of something they hadn't seen. Ultimately she did with that idol pull and end game strategy. Without that I dunno what happens. My guess is a split vote but I don't know who takes it.

I mean not Romeo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/romeoesco2/status/1532180473723559937

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Your bi-annual cup of postseason drama comes from Omar talking on RHAP about his negative Ponderosa experience due to certain things Drea said about and to him. It's the last 20 minutes of the video (start around 3:08:00), someone on Reddit also provided a transcript if you just want to read through what he said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjeXRVvdMs

https://old.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/v4cmr4/complete_transcript_of_omars_ponderosa_comments/

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Lord have mercy, I hope Romeo thrives in his community after this. Go grl!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Your bi-annual cup of postseason drama comes from Omar talking on RHAP about his negative Ponderosa experience due to certain things Drea said about and to him. It's the last 20 minutes of the video (start around 3:08:00), someone on Reddit also provided a transcript if you just want to read through what he said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/v4cmr4/complete_transcript_of_omars_ponderosa_comments/

Thanks for sharing this. I dealt with someone like this in my own life, I can't imagine having it magnified by being far from home, on television, while trying to win money.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat dude, just straight bullying at Ponderosa, wonder if they caught any of that on camera

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had heard that one of the reasons that there weren't any ponderosa videos this season was because of how Shan acted in 41 but maybe this was why. Big bummer either way, especially because I had been hoping Drea might get a shot in a returnee season.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They didn't film Ponderosa for 42, so if they did catch it on camera it was likely accidental/not meant for production

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Wow the comments on that reddit post are so bad. I mean, I know it's reddit, so that's to be expected, but still!

That's a real shame that he went through that bullying. He's so clear-headed and generous when talking about it though. I really liked Drea on the show, so it's disappointing to hear how awful she was to him (and others, it seems!)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's really disappointing about Drea, Shan too I guess. But as much as they were fun players, I'm now very very okay with not seeing them on TV again.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Propaganda Machine posted:

That's really disappointing about Drea, Shan too I guess. But as much as they were fun players, I'm now very very okay with not seeing them on TV again.

All the more reason to bring back Cydney from Kaoh Rong instead!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Leatherhead posted:

All the more reason to bring back Cydney from Kaoh Rong instead!

She's not coming back until her bodybuilding career is permanently over. Survivor can prematurely end that

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

See, I actually take issue with this video. Throughout it, Omar is mixing facts with a whole lot of conjecture. Was Drea angry with him at Ponderosa? She wouldn't be the first person to be bitter about being voted out!

But given his exit interviews where he refused to own up to that he lied during the game, I think it'd be wise to take what he says with a grain of salt, and not totally villainize someone based on his word alone. Especially given the fact that despite him saying he healed his relationship with everyone at Ponderosa except for Drea, it seems like everyone in the cast still has a good relationship with Drea based on social media, and not him.

Omar was a very entertaining character on the show, I feel bad that he had a terrible time at Ponderosa, but I don't necessarily believe everything he's saying.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’m just wondering if we’re going to see race become a factor in people’s strategy.

“Well, they’re dominating challenges, have an idol and two advantages, and great social game, but another POC was just booted out, so……”

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Shan stuff is just a rumor afaik. Everything official concerning the lack of Ponderosa says it’s because they were short staffed due to covid. There was some noise about someone making an HR complaint about a Ponderosa producer, but Shan has said that did not come from her nor was it about her.

Nihonniboku posted:

See, I actually take issue with this video. Throughout it, Omar is mixing facts with a whole lot of conjecture. Was Drea angry with him at Ponderosa? She wouldn't be the first person to be bitter about being voted out!

But given his exit interviews where he refused to own up to that he lied during the game, I think it'd be wise to take what he says with a grain of salt, and not totally villainize someone based on his word alone. Especially given the fact that despite him saying he healed his relationship with everyone at Ponderosa except for Drea, it seems like everyone in the cast still has a good relationship with Drea based on social media, and not him.

Omar was a very entertaining character on the show, I feel bad that he had a terrible time at Ponderosa, but I don't necessarily believe everything he's saying.
Drea is allowed to be mad at being betrayed, but what he’s describing is a series of malicious lies about him, including weaponizing his religion, which is another thing entirely. You’re wrong about no one having a good relationship with him postgame, as he and Maryanne have been hanging out and doing joint appearances and Chanelle tweeted that she was proud of him in response to this interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think they meant that Omar is the only one who's not getting along with Drea.

I'd also imagine that Drea was also particularly mad about getting clowned out of the game.