Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/SqhSJeE.mp4
Sound on required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Did the goons in this thread somehow manage to miss the insane media clickbait blitz of footage from the Amber Heard v. Johnny Depp trial that's been going on for two months? Criminal trials can't be filmed, but civil trials absolutely can.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Criminal trials are filmed all the time too, aren't they? And now there's a bunch of hilarious court zoom meetings to watch as well.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
It took no little effort to avoid the Depp v. Heard stuff. Please don't rehash it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Goons ITT not understanding that the US legal system, including what can be televised, varies state by state.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Criminal trials can't be filmed,

Of course they can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsn4UxSqr_M

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Did the goons in this thread somehow manage to miss the insane media clickbait blitz of footage from the Amber Heard v. Johnny Depp trial that's been going on for two months? Criminal trials can't be filmed, but civil trials absolutely can.

I had to shut off a loving ton of TikTok/YT Shorts channels and reddit threads trying to throw that horseshit at me, but in the end it wasn't that hard to avoid. Pretty much every sentient pile of toad smegma was waving it around as some culture war banner and it was very, very clearly not worth their company to check out any of it. If you weren't keeping track, the clickbait was more and more blatantly just a stupid loving circus and even easier to ignore as the case went on. "Something something bombshell today!" like jesus gently caress dude it's a civil case grow the gently caress up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Goons ITT not understanding that the US legal system, including what can be televised, varies state by state.

The US legal system is whatever the richest person in the room at the time wants it to be.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dr. Clockwork posted:

A lot of us managed to avoid the majority of it and the topic in general, but thank god you showed up and brought it to us here in the funny pictures thread!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think it involved Johnny Depp attacking Atlantis and thats why theyre not making aquaman 3, especially after khal drogo went to Dune.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

A lot of us managed to avoid the majority of it and the topic in general, but thank god you showed up and brought it to us here in the funny pictures thread!

lmao I'm just citing it as an example of something you couldn't fully avoid for two months, I certainly don't want to talk about it and nobody should.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cartoon Man posted:

The OJ Simpson trial was must see TV back in the day.

I was glued to it, yeah.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Here is a link to if you can film in court and when

that link I guess posted:

History of Cameras in Courts

Electronic media coverage of criminal proceedings in federal courts has been expressly prohibited under Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 53 since the criminal rules were adopted in 1946. Rule 53 states: "[e]xcept as otherwise provided by a statute or these rules, the court must not permit the taking of photographs in the courtroom during judicial proceedings or the broadcasting of judicial proceedings from the courtroom."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that’s just for federal circuit courts though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Robobot posted:

Criminal trials are filmed all the time too, aren't they? And now there's a bunch of hilarious court zoom meetings to watch as well.

Yeah.

I mean, notably the entirety of the OJ trial was broadcast. People watched that poo poo for MONTHS.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Johnny Depp v Amber Heard?! Tell me more, I bet that is an interesting case that deserves lots of intense scrutiny. I'm sure that the facts of the case will be respected and people will respond impartially. No one could use something like this to fuel self-serving, regressive political narratives or to draw baseless generalisations about wider society from the actions of these two high profile individuals. Can't believe I've missed it, and can't wait to find out more about the case and the positive, mature and constructive public reaction to it :) :)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

All i came away with the Heard- Depp trial is that they are both horrible people that should be banished to the deserts for wasting our time.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Hihohe posted:

All i came away with the Heard- Depp trial is that they are both horrible people that should be banished to the deserts for wasting our time.

I knew that before the trial started. I know absolutely zero about the trial or even the verdict but I know they're still terrible people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Data Graham posted:

For real, “program” felt like an antiquated term in 1998.

“Program Files”, ffs Microsoft, next thing you’ll be demanding I know whether it’s x86 or 64-bit

No it didn't lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The term apps was popularised by Apple, specifically because they wanted to differentiate exciting and snappy mobile apps from dreary and unwieldy computer programs. It took like five years for the term to be also applied to PC programs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bike tory posted:

Johnny Depp v Amber Heard?! Tell me more, I bet that is an interesting case that deserves lots of intense scrutiny. I'm sure that the facts of the case will be respected and people will respond impartially. No one could use something like this to fuel self-serving, regressive political narratives or to draw baseless generalisations about wider society from the actions of these two high profile individuals. Can't believe I've missed it, and can't wait to find out more about the case and the positive, mature and constructive public reaction to it :) :)

That guy is very predictable

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ignoring celebrity trials is the new "I don't even own a television"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Soul Dentist posted:

Why would anyone want to pay attention to loving Depp? He's like JK Rowling and Dave Chappelle on the list of people who should take their money and just gently caress off forever.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sorry, who?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Goon Boots posted:

they must get compensated for appearing on tv right?

Yeah, but nothing really worth talking about; if I remember right, it was 100$ for a half day (they shot on Saturdays and you were only told if your case was in the morning or the afternoon), just enough to convince people who might be working to take a day off.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Paladinus posted:

The term apps was popularised by Apple, specifically because they wanted to differentiate exciting and snappy mobile apps from dreary and unwieldy computer programs. It took like five years for the term to be also applied to PC programs.

Java "applets" (anybody remember those?) may also have been an influence.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

It's not that they're celebrities, I doubt there'd be as much venom if the trial was just Depp being dunked on for 6 weeks

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Thank you for posting a funny picture

I have one too, I hope its ok to post images in this thread, cant really tell from the last couple pages

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paladinus posted:

"application" was used to describe software with a significant gui long before people started talking about apps.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://i.imgur.com/wxYCz0d.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This is why they poo poo on peoples cars.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Goon Boots posted:

i'm so old that i've never actually used a computer, just a phone

wät

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hihohe posted:

Honestly the bigger story is how much money alt-right media has been pushing into promoting it from a "Depp did nothing wrong, #MeToo is dead, women do be crazy!" angle. That one super short rear end in a top hat whos name I blessedly cannot recall is apparently neck deep in it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Data Graham posted:

"Dad, how do I open pdf?"

ive never got the pdf meme because they just open. all .pdf just open in my default browser is there something im doing right or wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly the bigger story is how much money alt-right media has been pushing into promoting it from a "Depp did nothing wrong, #MeToo is dead, women do be crazy!" angle. That one super short rear end in a top hat whos name I blessedly cannot recall is apparently neck deep in it.

Vladimir Putin?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ultrafilter posted:

"application" was used to describe software with a significant gui long before people started talking about apps.

Yeah, and “application” was the preferred term in Mac land since the 80s

I’m reasonably sure it’s not because apple is in it lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I played Elden Ring and watched baseball and the cool movies on the Criterion Channel and a bunch of episodes of the Adam West Batman instead of paying attention to the Depp trial.

Sorry if that makes me a horrible monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

The Anime Liker posted:

I played Elden Ring and watched baseball and the cool movies on the Criterion Channel and a bunch of episodes of the Adam West Batman instead of paying attention to the Depp trial.

Sorry if that makes me a horrible monster.

Don't worry you're a horrible monster for completely unrelated reasons.