Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Just got the Goliath, which nearly completes my collection with Minotaur and Conqueror, this thing was worth the grind - my first game i got 187k.

Destroyers next, I am not good with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bounced hard off the Drake. It just felt like it was a citadel magnet that wasn't maneuverable or long ranged enough to really work well in WoWS.

Was I wrong, or is there some way to work around it?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I bounced hard off the Drake. It just felt like it was a citadel magnet that wasn't maneuverable or long ranged enough to really work well in WoWS.

Was I wrong, or is there some way to work around it?

It's incredibly powerful, you go rear end in and kill everything. You can even outburn British BBs. It makes the Ibuki weep.

e: I have a nearly 70% winrate in Drake lol

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I didn't mind Drake too much, Albemarle was terrible and I FXP'd it, Drake was really powerful with a smoke DD, but without you could bait shots and bounce if you were slightly angled, anything else you super-healed away and set fires to everyone.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are there any stinkers in the German BC line above tier six?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Unlocked the Des Moines and I absolutely love it. Makes suffering through the buffalo worth it.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Will the Massachusetts ever come back for sale?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

wdarkk posted:

Are there any stinkers in the German BC line above tier six?

For ships that are meant to be driving towards the enemy, or at least maintaining secondary distance, Rupprecht has a counterintuitive kiting setup on the 6 gun main battery.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

NTRabbit posted:

For ships that are meant to be driving towards the enemy, or at least maintaining secondary distance, Rupprecht has a counterintuitive kiting setup on the 6 gun main battery.

Almost no ship in world of warships at any time ever wants to be driving towards the enemy. Sometimes it must, or can because of a large advantage, but the strongest position for all ships at all times is stern towards a target that is approaching them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

toadee posted:

Almost no ship in world of warships at any time ever wants to be driving towards the enemy. Sometimes it must, or can because of a large advantage, but the strongest position for all ships at all times is stern towards a target that is approaching them.

Kiting to the map edge doesn't get caps.

Rupprecht has 6 short range guns and 4 of them point backwards, it's not a great setup when extending the range severely cuts your damage output.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 4, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

serious gaylord posted:

Unlocked the Des Moines and I absolutely love it. Makes suffering through the buffalo worth it.

It’s my favorite boat! Now you just have to unlock the Legendary Mod which is stupidly locked behind the Research Bureau.

Minenfeld! posted:

Will the Massachusetts ever come back for sale?

I feel like it usually comes up around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I rebought the Drake and played some Ranked with it. It's a fun bote. I tried to hang behind my first line so I wouldn't get focused and sure enough those guns do a lot of work and start a LOT of fires.

Due to not playing the game for a few months I missed most of the Dockyard event. Is the Atlantico actually good or fun? I have more money than good sense so whaling it isn't a problem if it's fun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Rupprecht has 6 short range guns and 4 of them point backwards, it's not a great setup when extending the range severely cuts your damage output.

Do you mean the Zeitan? Rupprecht has 4 turrets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

Do you mean the Zeitan? Rupprecht has 4 turrets.

Yes that one, got the wrong name while phone posting from work. The one with the weird as gently caress bridge tower.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 4, 2022

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I rebought the Drake and played some Ranked with it. It's a fun bote. I tried to hang behind my first line so I wouldn't get focused and sure enough those guns do a lot of work and start a LOT of fires.

Due to not playing the game for a few months I missed most of the Dockyard event. Is the Atlantico actually good or fun? I have more money than good sense so whaling it isn't a problem if it's fun.

No. Atlántico is a standard battleship and tops out at 22 knots, but is theoretically a secondary battleship. It also has only AP, and the secondaries are mediocre at best despite the high caliber. I expect to play mine maybe twice a year for events.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I said stern in toward an enemy pushing at you, not driving to the map edge. Killing overextended ships near a cap and making it so that anything in the game can then just drive into it and have is absolutely how you do take caps though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Velius posted:

No. Atlántico is a standard battleship and tops out at 22 knots, but is theoretically a secondary battleship.

Uh, a 22 knot secondary battleship sure is a decision. Sad to hear it's not that good, people on the official forums were making it sound a lot better. Thanks for the heads up!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlantico is 25 knots base, you can toddle along at 28 knots with the unspotted speed skill and speed flag, and 26.5 spotted iirc

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Okay. 25 is still awful. But the real issue is having no HE access and no improved AP, coupled with slow speed and a secondary focus. If an NC just bows in on you you’re totally impotent, or almost any other cruiser or battleship you’ll face.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Atlantico is an amazing ship. One of the more fun ships I've played in a long time.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah Atlantico is being undersold. Its guns are almost identical to Bismarck's, overall, but with 2 extra barrels. It also has a very tanky hull and incredible concealment and it even has functional AA (probably second only to the Kansas at T8) - it completely rips apart T6 planes while being ineffectual against T10 planes (like all T8 AA). The speed is second-worst in class/tier, but far from the horror of the Kansas. I like it.

Here's my Tier list of the Dockyard ships I have:

A-Tier
ZF-6

B-Tier
Atlantico
D7P

C-Tier
Anchorage
Hizen (would have had this B-Tier pre-Kearsarge, but when I compare these two ships it makes Hizen seem very, very sad)
Marlborough

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It’s my favorite boat! Now you just have to unlock the Legendary Mod which is stupidly locked behind the Research Bureau.

I feel like it usually comes up around Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Massa is always on sale as a black ship during black friday.

And ref the Des Moines, I'm having reasonably good damage games in it but I always feel like I'm not quite contributing enough. Too much island humping while dumpstering battleships & fire damage but not really having a huge impact in the game.

I do like it though, fun boat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stanley Pain posted:

Atlantico is an amazing ship. One of the more fun ships I've played in a long time.

Please elaborate! I am v. conflicted here.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'll defend Atlantico. The speed isn't too much of a problem if you're running brisk, it's also decently manoeuvrable. The guns are quite nice but of course you're getting it for the secondaries.

Having 11.5km detection and 11.3km secondary range is the key. You will catch so many players with their pants down and those 234mm guns are great at raw damage while the smallers set fires nicely. It has decent armour, the guns are okay but really you're wanting to get yourself into spots where your 234mm's are doing the bulk of the heavy lifting. Most games I finish with more raw damage from secondaries than primaries.

The unique thing the 234mm's let you do is really effectively trade with bow in BB's and CA's because those guns shred superstructures. It doesn't uptier as well as something like a Massachusetts because you dont have 406mm's, dont have a trick heal and once the 234mm's start bouncing off higher tier decks you would rather have the better fire starting of the 127mm's.

The biggest downside is needing at least a 17pnt captain on a nation where you're unlikely to have anything already. Only if you've got enough CapXP should you bother because at a minimum you need all the secondary skills and concealment to make its gimmicks work. It isn't worth a big whale buy but for the cost of 3-4 stages, yeah, it's a good ship. I think it'll also be really cool if T8 small-team brawls ever return because it'll chew apart ze germans.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Please elaborate! I am v. conflicted here.

The biggest thing for me are the Goliath secondaries on this thing. You can routinely get 5k volleys into bow in BBs. They have a higher flight arc. The fire chance is icing on the cake.

She's pretty tanky as well. Really good at just backing into cap areas and being a nuisance.

The guns are decent and surprise people if you catch em broadside. I've got like a 63% random WR in it and like 80% ranked WR in it.

She's slow and brisk is mandatory.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK I am coming around on the Drake. Just had a ranked game where the enemy CV kept talking poo poo the entire game about how GG EZ it was and how their team were miles better than ours (he of course didn't do poo poo and sank about 5 minutes into the game).

Came behind to steal the win at the last moment by hammering down their Marco Polo. He didn't have any more poo poo talk for me after the game even though I asked :(

What equipment should I put in the last slot, though? The rank increase seems like it might be useful because 15.9km at T9 isn't amazing but with a spotter plane it might be doable. More DPM?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In theory the Drake's weakness is range so you take the range mod.

I don't remember if I went with theory or just gave in to 'shooot mooooore'

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Okay. I finally got Atlantico myself so can talk about it in more concrete terms. Basically it was a solid ship, then it just got hammered over and over again with nerfs. It used to have hydro, improved AP pen angles and short fuse, 10%+ faster main battery reload/damage, to make up for it having AP only. Now it's a gimmicky ship at best, where you try and leverage incredibly inaccurate secondaries to do anything. The ONE round I had meaningful secondary performance was when I was on two brothers and two enemy cvs decided to hide by the channel and I walked between them. I see no reason to get it instead of Mass or the German battlecruisers, of which the Zeiten is pretty okay. Or why you wouldn't just play Tirpitz.

February 11th:
VIII Atlântico
Hydroacoustic Search consumable: removed
AP shell fuse delay, ricochet angles, and arming threshold: reduced to standard values
Secondary battery:
Accuracy of 127 mm guns: increased to the level of German battleships
Accuracy of 234 mm guns: increased to the level of Georgia and German battlecruisers
Ballistics adjusted: all shells have a more arcing trajectory.

With the above changes, the ship's secondary battery will see an overall increase in performance, while still having a harder time scoring hits on destroyers due to the slower shells. The improved accuracy will allow it to reliably score hits on the decks of enemy battleships and deal more damage on average to larger targets, even from behind island cover, thanks to the more arcing trajectory of the shells.

March 3rd:

VIII Atlântico
- Main battery reload time increased: 28 to 29 s.
- Maximum damage for AP shells reduced: 11,700 to 10,700.

March 10th:

VIII Atlântico

- Main battery reload time increased: 29 to 30 s.

March 30th they gave it the one buff it's gotten:

VIII Atlântico
- Parameters of the 234 mm secondary battery shells were changed:
​ ​ ​ ​ - Maximum damaged increased: 3,350 to 3,850
​ ​ ​ ​ - Armor penetration increased: 39 to 59 mm
- Main battery firing range increased: 17.4 to 18.6 km.

So now its secondaries can actually damage battleships, but they're still wildly inaccurate. I can see trying to make it work but it’s such effort to do it I don’t get why you wouldn’t just play a German bb.

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 5, 2022

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Unlocked the Iowa as well today. Was having fun until I got seriously tilted by a seriously fun and engaging gaming experience involving a Sub, a Nakimov and an Annapolis.

5 fires, 2 floodings and dead within 2 minutes.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Subs seem unfun. They're not super difficult to deal with or anything, just unfun. Not sure what they are meant to add. Especially as they're a strategic asset.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Minenfeld! posted:

Subs seem unfun. They're not super difficult to deal with or anything, just unfun. Not sure what they are meant to add. Especially as they're a strategic asset.

They are completely unfit for the game. People rightfully said from the start that there would be no way to balance them. They'd either be useless, or completely OP. And since WG want to sell people premium subs and prop up their player numbers, they will be broken OP.

But even more than that, as Flamu has pointed out, they take slots away from surface ships. A couple of DDs, a CV, a sub and suddenly 1/3 of the team is ships that you will practically never see, and never really engage in surface battles. It makes games seem very empty.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'd be more inclined to enjoy things like CVs if the game let you take manual control of AAA and your secondaries like War Thunder does. May even add to the game as ships with DP guns like DDs have to give up shooting at other ships to use the DP guns on planes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Subs should have been a hard counter to CVs and then both of them could gently caress off to do their own thing and leave the rest of us alone.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Alaska feels like cheating in T8-9 ranked.

Especially with Roons that keep giving you broadsides.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Now that I'm playing this again, is it still impossible to get goons to division with you?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Alaska feels like cheating in T8-9 ranked.

Especially with Roons that keep giving you broadsides.

The Alaska is disgusting, it feels like an even more powerful crutch than the Kita. Sure I'll take an unkillable ship with 30s radar that deals a reliable 10k a volley to angled battleships.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

wdarkk posted:

Now that I'm playing this again, is it still impossible to get goons to division with you?

EU GOON is pretty much dead on it's feet. People play as you can see from the clan stats but it's mainly people dropping in for a few games then going. I played pretty much every day for a couple of months April/May and never even got chat updated, I think the last message in chat is from New Years. I'd disband the clan but we have got some sweet bonuses stacked up over the years and it seems a waste, and I was going to purge everyone who hasn't played in over a year but I'm not actually that bothered.

If you want to div up, try another clan, and that's not me being snarky it's simply the truth.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

General Battuta posted:

The Alaska is disgusting, it feels like an even more powerful crutch than the Kita. Sure I'll take an unkillable ship with 30s radar that deals a reliable 10k a volley to angled battleships.

"Unkillable" until someone with hands in a Kitakaze just shoots you for a minute and you burn to death

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't like the DM, Alaska, etc. :shobon: Those ships just never clicked for me. Now the Goliath, that's my kinda ship :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burt posted:

EU GOON is pretty much dead on it's feet. People play as you can see from the clan stats but it's mainly people dropping in for a few games then going. I played pretty much every day for a couple of months April/May and never even got chat updated, I think the last message in chat is from New Years. I'd disband the clan but we have got some sweet bonuses stacked up over the years and it seems a waste, and I was going to purge everyone who hasn't played in over a year but I'm not actually that bothered.

If you want to div up, try another clan, and that's not me being snarky it's simply the truth.

Yeah, it's pretty dead. It might be better to ask for in game names and add people to friend lists to catch them when they're online. I'm playing regularly now, so I'm online in the EU goon guild most evenings at least for an hour or two.