Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

haveblue posted:

yeah if you actually want this project to ever be finished work out the full design first and do not expand on it. you will go down endless rabbit holes and wind up working on the game for five years

finishing projects is genuinely awful, just start a bunch of crazy awesome projects and give up when you run out of enthusiasm, otherwise you'll always be trapped by the mediocre sensibility of your past self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Echi wants to make a career change so he in fact should try and finish something he can show other people

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah if you don’t want to finish it ignore what I said and spend six months on the shiv upgrade tree and another six on the grow op management mode or whatever

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

PokeJoe posted:

Echi wants to make a career change so he in fact should try and finish something he can show other people

come on man it's the idiot spare time projects thread not the 'responsibly parent other posters' thread. you should really introspect why you would want to sabotage and cast self-doubt on a aspiring true artist that could be spending the next fifty years on the streets making the dwarf fortress of crime

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sounds like some people might appreciate the old game LIBERAL CRIME SQUAD, literally same makers of Dwarf Fortress

Recruit people ideologically, press-gang them into petty crimes and begging, agitate to get liberal justices and politicians in power, maybe make a move like infiltrate / attack a police station then go down in an blaze of glory. Or escape, that could happen too.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

PIZZA.BAT posted:

crime time: build a time machine so you can commit crimes in the past, present, and future

a crime machine, if you will

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

redleader posted:

a crime machine, if you will

BBC produced a terrible sci-fi series Crime Traveller back in 1997, sadly the time machine was used to solve crimes not commit them - [video type="youtube"]Fi4B12VWwSg[/vi

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I stored some audio on a flash IC because I need some canned sound this year for a silly holiday ornament. You can play it back without a DAC. (Or, I guess, any low-pass filter is enough of a DAC). Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwwIXt0twD0

Skipping to the demo,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwwIXt0twD0&t=71s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

beware scope creep, I recommending having a tight end goal in mind because you're gonna add a bunch of poo poo anyway as you think of it

hmm yes indeed.

this ue5 version is mostly a see if the game is fun etc and a way to think thru the issues while using tools I know

making this into a webpage would be the end goal, although doing what I’ve done is makes me realise how challenging it might be, or at least that i’ll need to learn different ways to do things in a webpage that I find easy to do in OOP in a game engine

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Make it in some JavaScript bullshit if you wanna do webdev

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PokeJoe posted:

beware scope creep, I recommending having a tight end goal in mind because you're gonna add a bunch of poo poo anyway as you think of it

I can confirm this absolutely kills your project. Have some ending points/objectives that you can stop at.

The other big killer is looking at entire sections of code and rewriting them every single week because you're not happy with how the code looks.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Make it in some JavaScript bullshit if you wanna do webdev

yeah i’ll have to :cry:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I can confirm this absolutely kills your project. Have some ending points/objectives that you can stop at.

in the past i’ve run out of steam when I progress from the framework to the content

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cant believe I spent all afternoon on this lol

takes long time to put imaginary ideas in your head into real life huh

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

looks good

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I absolutely cannot wait to play this game and commit crimes in it. It's 2:25AM here and I'm already tempted to go stand on the sidewalk in front of my apartment and loiter in anticipation.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

Thats the prestige mechanic except you have a small spacetime tunnel that you can increase the bandwidth if to receive n% of your income from pre prestige

prestige button has to be labeled HOOLAGAIN

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

cant believe I spent all afternoon on this lol

takes long time to put imaginary ideas in your head into real life huh

i have already stolen some watches in order to sell in this game when it comes out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

looks good

lol thanks

i mean I know it looks poo poo but that’s why i’ve drowned it in lens flares

the bloom effect in unreal engine is so good, when something gets bright and glows it really feels like it’s blinding you lol

GWBBQ posted:

I absolutely cannot wait to play this game and commit crimes in it. It's 2:25AM here and I'm already tempted to go stand on the sidewalk in front of my apartment and loiter in anticipation.

thanks to unreal engine it’ll about probably about 400mb which is pretty good for a game with 0 textures. there is a way to get unreal engine games running in a browser and the content in this game is probably less than a mb or so so you’d think it’d be able to be done easy

the absolute basic framework is working, but it’s sorely lacking in content. suppose that’s because I haven’t been working on it

I’ve made the game in a very inefficient way

each “crime” is its own independent game entity, and when you “employ” a criminal, it spawns new criminal objects and each one of them has a countdown and spins by itself and when the countdown is down it send a signal back up the path. the criminals take a 25% cut and only earn you 25% notoriety. but I can’t help but feel this is an extremely inefficient way of doing it. but it works and I like it because it lets me do cool easy things.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
might see if I can commission chaosbreather for some crime content

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's spelled notoriety btw if im not mistaken

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

it's spelled notoriety btw if im not mistaken

gently caress. I thought I checked that. think it was one of those things where I've looked into it but then managed to lock the wrong spelling into my brain. lol

unreal engine has this blackbody node in the material node graph and I love it so much, wish it was in blender*
anyway, you just put a temperature into it and not only is the colour correct but it glows like it's legit hot. it's just a cheap and easy way to make something like bright as gently caress

*blender has one but it only gives the colour, not like a bright as gently caress HDR value

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

echinopsis posted:

I can’t help but feel this is an extremely inefficient way of doing it. but it works and I like it because it lets me do cool easy things.

make it work and make progress any which way you can shall be the whole of the indie game dev law

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ynohtna posted:

make it work and make progress any which way you can shall be the whole of the indie game dev law

thank you for playing wing commander, lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ynohtna posted:

:agreed:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nz4dk8/everything-you-know-about-fallout-3-is-a-lie

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The other big killer is looking at entire sections of code and rewriting them every single week because you're not happy with how the code looks.

this is absolutely true, and you shouldn't worry too much about the fact that half of your code is hacks held together with bubblegum and prayers. i can tell you for a fact that AAA games ship with engine code that has "TODO: fix this after E3 2004" still in it ten years later

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah redoing code that already works for the sake of future direction changes is for when you get paid to code. if it works and it doesn't prevent you from doing what you want at this exact moment, it's good enough to finish a hobby project

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah for real.

I think this process is helpful, because it’s so quick and easy to hack something together in unreal engine, I can use it to see if the principle of the game is fun, and the pitfalls etc become quite clear, so
when or if I do it in something that could be on a webpage, which would mean learning a poo poo load of
new things and processes, I’m not also nutting out the game logic and ideas

idk if anyone else here has played around in unreal engine much but it’s amazing how easy it is to get the ball rolling, once you know how to use it. that last part is the challenge of course, but once you do.. because there’s no compiling that you have to deal with, it just happens behind the scenes. change the code and hit play. world glass AAA game engine at your fingertips. ten years ago this poo poo cost many thousands of dollars and now it’s totally free and there’s mountains of support and examples and tutorials. epics model of making it free for anyone making under a million in revenue was genius. whenever I get back into it I forget how much I love using it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im running into a problem where I am going to have to rip the bandaid off and just learn html/js/css (I was always going to have to but ug)

right now I just want to do the layout and style. I looked for a few shortcuts design wise but came up sorely lacking, and trying to do the design in illustrator program isn't really helping.

gonna have to learn flexbox and make that poo poo myself

also a cool idea that's beyond my ability to implement: crime tech tree, you can't access certain crimes until you've met prereqs and maybe even researched them lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

im running into a problem where I am going to have to rip the bandaid off and just learn html/js/css (I was always going to have to but ug)

right now I just want to do the layout and style. I looked for a few shortcuts design wise but came up sorely lacking, and trying to do the design in illustrator program isn't really helping.

gonna have to learn flexbox and make that poo poo myself

also a cool idea that's beyond my ability to implement: crime tech tree, you can't access certain crimes until you've met prereqs and maybe even researched them lol

tech tree probably isn't as hard as you're thinking it is. give it a try. go learn what a tree (data structure) is

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
can’t do armed burglery until youve done burglery before and have also equipped a weapon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

can't sell watches without boosting a truckload of watches first

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stock management you say?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as I continue to dream about this, and continue to incorporate all the great ideas people bring in, the model evolves

and so I would like it so that some crimes take literally a week to commit.

perhaps this is too much although I hope it's not, is to have it benefit logging in, because when you hit go, i'll calculate the end time for the crime and so when you re-visit the site, you'll have completed the crime. hence giving a reason to re-visit the site.

I realise this would mean probably moving past javascript and client side operation, and the only thing I know of that can do what I am talking about is django because I dont know many web words but I believe django handles logins etc very nicely, and i'll need to learn databases

some cool pathway of my dreams:

save up and buy a burglary kit (bargaining stats give you a discount)
do a heist, and roll the dice, and maybe your luck stats help here or not, and you manage to burgle 15 watches
and then your crew of people go and sell them.

spose I should just focus on crime committer alpha, the client side only version first. maybe?

today though I am actually just working on css and creating a layout and colour scheme I like. css aint that bad. it's not bad like javascript is lol

if I was really desperate to use helvetica, can I pay a licence and host the font file?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
istp: phone system

things that went well:

* i ordered a voip.ms DID and figured out how it works

things that didnt go so well:

* ordered a Grandstream cordless phone and thought it would have wifi or a cat5 on the base, but it's JUST a DECT handset. I went ahead and ordered the base to pair it with.
* I bought a polycom 501 off ebay in Used shape but the display was dead (has dialtone, webui is fine, just no screen)
* Still trying to figure out how to expose the FreePBX vm on my linux machine so that it's accessible from outside localhost. ugh iptables rules and nat poo poo.

And things that went well:

* I sent a "uhh did you test this?" message to the seller of the polycom and they instantly refunded me no questions asked so i have a spare poe injector and handset for
* the two more guaranteed and tested polycom 501's that shipped today

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yes it's pretty awful

but I am only just learning css, and at this stage it's purely just trying to put things into the right place.

love that flex box poo poo

anyway, I love doing this kind of stuff because there's a sort of satosfying problem -> research -> fix loop

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wife is interviewing for a teaching position for small children, which means I get to use computers for the amusement of children. My first project is to get the HP printer out of the garage onto my home network and find the sticky note that has the HP username and pass.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
see the mother fucker thread w/r/t needing a password use a printer

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah it is a motherfucker who caused this problem.

All of the hard parts are done. I carried and trouble shot a printer for a girl, thus echoing back to 20 year old me in the dorms. Then I went into my ratsnest of power cables and chose the correct one by staring really hard at the prong and the numbers on the prongs. Like 4 months ago I bought a print trey on ebay because we lost the old print trey in the move. 3 months ago we found that lost print tray. Paper in the machine, mac address in the access list, so many dumb rituals complete.

Except my wife's HP username and password. Lol. But I'm gonna print out some pictures of animals, then I'm gonna glue those to some cardboard paper to give them heft. It will be used in a word game where children have to determine if the held up animal can climb, run, swim, or fly. I'm hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KirbyKhan posted:

I carried and trouble shot a printer for a girl

a tale as old as time