Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Now I know it's a product of this scenario being exclusively possible in fiction created by very not omniscient people. But I hate how characters always go for the most boring cookie cutter questions when confronted with some form of all knowing being.

I, personally, have remembered every argument I've gotten into in real life and online as well as a long list of things I think are true but cant prove. So the single most important thing is to have this perfectly omniscient being tell me every single time I was 100% correct and exactly how correct I was. And the current location of everyone who ever disagreed with me so I can send them a recording of god saying I was right.

I'd defo want to know if I got a few things right but I also imagine Allison has death on the mind atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hm i dont like the big spikey stabby thing in the seat of the (hm) big universe machine (hmmm)

Reminds me of something...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Anti-Aircraft cock

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wanna see the creative process behind how H.R Geiger developed his style.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want to use a time machine to make a reality show about Freud psychoanalysing Geiger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought fortune tellers were just all about cold reading and giving generic prophecies, I didn't realize until this thread that they were assholes determined to give people nightmares of the future.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I thought fortune tellers were just all about cold reading and giving generic prophecies, I didn't realize until this thread that they were assholes determined to give people nightmares of the future.

paranoia makes for good returning customers

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TwoPair posted:

Sometimes they sell services or fake jewelry that helps stave off the bad fortune.

"I see you dying in a plane crash, but I also see you avoiding that fate by wearing this emerald necklace that I will lease you for $150 a month until you turn 46."

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

People keep saying Jadis is in pain, maybe she exists in an infinite point in time. It could go beyond just knowing, but experiencing everything at once as well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I poo poo you not, a fortune teller at the state fair told me I was going to be eaten by a bear. I was 12.

I was so upset my mom took me to a different fortune teller, who told me I'm going to be hit by a bus.

So if I ever see a bus driven by a bear, welp, nice knowing y'all.

I have bad news. You misheard the first fortune teller. The next time you're in Louisiana you're going to be cannibalized by a drunk bus driver named Troy Hebert.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 4, 2022

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's something far more insidious; She tells the absolute truth.

This is closer, I think.

It's like watching a train wreck; if you have absolute prescience, then you have no power to actually change what you see because what you see is the absolute truth of what will be. You cannot react to it, you can only watch it happen.

The alt text is from the part of her that's stuck observing, because even her own body is a slave to the cycle.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheCaardvark/status/1533236173308579840

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Why does this work so well?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Grill Six Billion Cheese Sandwiches

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Reach Heaven Through Wensleydale

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Wyld Karde posted:

Wallace represents the eighth and most deadly sin - being English

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I mean, he did eat (part) of the moon.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Reach heaven through starving the Irish

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reach heaven through Rube Goldberg devices

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reach Heaven Through Lancashire

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

82 Trousers Born in Emptiness Return to Be Wrong

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Wyld Karde posted:

It’s all Swiss cheese. The universe is full of holes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

maswastaken posted:

82 Trousers Born in Emptiness Return to Be Wrong

This is the best one.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if this isn't really Jadis and it's just the machine. Like Jadis used the machine and then became the crystal cube lady who died fighting Jagganoth.

The thing talking to Allison is the memory of Jadis stuck in the machine's Ram cache.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Donkringel posted:

I wonder if this isn't really Jadis and it's just the machine. Like Jadis used the machine and then became the crystal cube lady who died fighting Jagganoth.

The thing talking to Allison is the memory of Jadis stuck in the machine's Ram cache.

"It looks like you're seeking strength beyond strength.

Would you like help?"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As we know, remote login is a lot like astral projection

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oobey posted:

"It looks like you're seeking strength beyond strength.

Would you like help?"

Reach heaven through Clippy

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Donkringel posted:

Doesn't have to be a memory, it could be a form of recording. If she can see the entire future, then she can have conversations with people after her death and record replies based on what they're going to say. Depending on how set in stone the future is, Jadis can then brute-force her replies to lead people to whatever course of action best benefits her schemes.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That does lead to the possibility that Jadis as we see her now is the villain part of her timeline, and that perhaps her entombment self is her after some different revelation that things are gonna go off the rails.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Donkringel posted:

Given the shadow version we see of her in the cover page, I wonder if she somehow split herself in half as a coping mechanism.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I am in camp 'Jadis is very much dead already'. I like the idea that knowing the future she prerecorded her holographic/mental projection to show Allison what she was always going to see. They open up the machine and find OG Jadis's body just a desiccated husk on the inside, and just unceremoniously huck her out and put Allison in the robot infinity machine.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Being a massive nerd, Allison knows full well that getting in the Capital-M Machine is perfectly fine. Nothing bad ever happens when you get in the Machine.

Get in the Machine Allison.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the most wild, "ah gently caress me" poo poo would be if the machine contained the barely-functional corpse of Megatron, who lives.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“You’ve used me to glimpse the true shape of The Wheel for the last time, Starscream!”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

After the last volume, I'm half expecting Operant to slam on the gas unannounced and unexpected

like, we were just handed 180 plus pages with an accelerating plot so gloriously intense that it can best be characterized as a pair of flaming tire tread marks scorched into the asphalt and crashing into the climax so hard that it burst through that climax into another climax four or five times before finally killing two gods, locking a third and fourth into Literally God Knows What The Actual gently caress That Was, and introduced us to Universe Machine which is apparently able to translate the shape of the word "I."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

the most wild, "ah gently caress me" poo poo would be if the machine contained the barely-functional corpse of Megatron, who lives.

I'd guess Jadis is integrated inside the machine as part of it, and always was.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Given the shadow version we see of her in the cover page, I wonder if she somehow split herself in half as a coping mechanism.
Worked for YISUN.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

There's definitely gotta be something going on with it, because otherwise why not project brainghost to the meetings of the demiurges instead of existing as an incoherent icecube? Why make her lackeys constantly be struggling to transcribe and interpret prophecies?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

There's definitely gotta be something going on with it, because otherwise why not project brainghost to the meetings of the demiurges instead of existing as an incoherent icecube? Why make her lackeys constantly be struggling to transcribe and interpret prophecies?

That implies that Jadis has the ability to choose anything. The last decision she made was to turn the God Machine on. After that, every event in her existence, every word, mannerism, and thought has been preordained. Her lackeys struggle to interpret her pronouncements because that is how it is supposed to happen. It cannot happen any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I don't think Abaddon is going to have a character in the comic do entirely arbitrary and potentially incoherent things just because there's a tautological in-world justification