Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pretend I linked that recent Botchamania ending of Excalibur doing the GLaDoS speed-reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
excalibur running at 1.5x speed is hilarious but i do think that they should give the card rundown more time so that the dude still has vocal cords three years from now

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
If you ever want to attract casual fans, you need to read things slowly.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 4, 2022

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

that guy's name backwards is e-mad rovert so ignore

holy poo poo

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

they have a point. let Jim Ross speak at 100mph.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

wait but what “lot of things” does it sum up? Ex has too much to read? There is too much going on in AEW? The lead up to an interim title is too convoluted?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It's not Excalibur's fault that he has to try to squeeze in live copy ad reads and lengthy announcements from backstage at poorly chosen times which are often during main event matches

TK tells him to read something and he does his job as best he can given the circumstances. TK really needs to pick better spots for this poo poo though. It takes away from the ongoing match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/AngeGold/status/1532927915905761281

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
omg lmfao

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

*lmfao voice* sorry for garethposting

https://mobile.twitter.com/WWEGareth/status/1532889052550246400

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllDayAndi/status/1532949622649413632

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The reads are kind of disruptive, and it’s hard to tell why. I can tell you that on the indie shows I’ve worked, the play by play commentator works out the ad reads/match plugs ahead of time, and they’ll cut to the commentary table for it.

Obviously it’s different in live television, but they could re arrange the timing of the reads to make them less disruptive, and do more graphics pop ups with no commentator read. I’d love to see how AEW commentary and production work. One of my commentary goals is to see if I can get backstage and shadow production if AEW comes to the Bay.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 4, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think this one was more egregious because of both Jericho not understanding the situation making it more confusing and Tony seemingly still working out the details of the title situation while the show was airing. Like, I think this was the rare case where 'tune in on Wednesday or check out AEW's social media for more on this developing situation!" would've been better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ToddMartinMMA/status/1533128851680813057

Incredible takes after the last few weeks where Danielson, Darby, Jeff Hardy, Hangman and other big stars have all done clean jobs and Brit took a clean fall on TV.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'here's why having several dozen wrestlers all arguably at the top of the card is a bad thing: you can't tell which one or two are the best'

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think this one was more egregious because of both Jericho not understanding the situation making it more confusing and Tony seemingly still working out the details of the title situation while the show was airing. Like, I think this was the rare case where 'tune in on Wednesday or check out AEW's social media for more on this developing situation!" would've been better.

I really get the feeling that Jericho saying Punk had to vacate kinda of forced them to rush a graphic/announcement and that's why it read terribly

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's amazing that even someone like Gareth can recognize that just watching the same 12 people wrestle every single week isn't entertaining but will then turn around and talk about how AEW needs to fire half it's roster. That's how you get to the first problem isn't it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I really get the feeling that Jericho saying Punk had to vacate kinda of forced them to rush a graphic/announcement and that's why it read terribly

I'm glad Jericho said anything definitive because at least the fact that he said something definitively wrong made them clearly announce what was going on. I was deeply confused by Punk's promo.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

Incredible takes after the last few weeks where Danielson, Darby, Jeff Hardy, Hangman and other big stars have all done clean jobs and Brit took a clean fall on TV.

Man I haven't heard about Todd Martin in loving years. I didn't know he was still around-ish.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

MassRafTer posted:

Nah there's something to this. Remember the 2021 Eliminator tournament where Preston Vance was in it? They had a tournament to determine the #1 contender and the first round had Preston Vance, Dustin Rhodes, Lance Archer, and Hobbs in there.

They had a bunch of big names available, but they were all doing other programs, so they didn't want those guys to take a pin in the middle of it. So you get Moxley vs 10 for some reason.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's not Excalibur's fault that he has to try to squeeze in live copy ad reads and lengthy announcements from backstage at poorly chosen times which are often during main event matches

TK tells him to read something and he does his job as best he can given the circumstances. TK really needs to pick better spots for this poo poo though. It takes away from the ongoing match

Absolutely, that’s how I read Trevor’s post as well. Excalibur is too good at his job and TK is running him at 100% constantly. Regal will try and toss a line to the man in the mask and he has to get back to the incessant reminders about what’s coming next.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Nah there's something to this. Remember the 2021 Eliminator tournament where Preston Vance was in it? They had a tournament to determine the #1 contender and the first round had Preston Vance, Dustin Rhodes, Lance Archer, and Hobbs in there.

They had a bunch of big names available, but they were all doing other programs, so they didn't want those guys to take a pin in the middle of it. So you get Moxley vs 10 for some reason.

The reason was because that was in the midst of Mox's heel turn. He faced 10, and he was going to face Orange Cassidy to prime him for a program with Hangman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jackofarcades posted:

Because the whole idea of the tournament was Mox was going to be this hyperviolent killer and so he loving killed 10, a guy you thought they might give some offense to in the match since Mox had beaten him handily in the past. But since Mox went to rehab we didn't finish that off until he came back.

(And when the example that comes to mind is from last fall it is a sign it isn't a big problem with the TV.)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2022

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
the show should be nothing but the top stars wrestling other top stars and they should all win as much as they lose

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

the show should be nothing but the top stars wrestling other top stars and they should all win as much as they lose

Obviously not, but when it's for a chance to fight for the world title, a guy who hasn't won all year on Dynamite should not be involved.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if this might result in the aew representative being a shocking result instead of mox, it winds up being adam cole or even adam page

There's so many ways it can go from here, from MJF or Wardlow or Danielson or just going with Mox, or even having it be someone surprising stepping up, like Lance Archer, Keith Lee, Ricky Starks, Christian, Fenix, Penta...

I kinda hope it's not Danielson and maybe we get a rematch at forbidden door

Danielson v Suzuki

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Assuming it's gonna be vs. Tana at the PPV... I kinda want it to be Jungle Boy. Jungle Boy vs. Tanahashi would have amazing face vs. face energy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Generico posted:

Assuming it's gonna be vs. Tana at the PPV... I kinda want it to be Jungle Boy. Jungle Boy vs. Tanahashi would have amazing face vs. face energy.

nobody would be able to pay attention to the match, everyone would just be marveling at the hair

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

alvarez, once again, was always right

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Alaois posted:

nobody would be able to pay attention to the match, everyone would just be marveling at the hair

yes, and? a-are you arguing that that's bad, in some way? :confused:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i wake up every day and thank the lord i am not this insufferable

https://twitter.com/KJackewicz/status/1533200168467800064
https://twitter.com/KJackewicz/status/1533202679064936450

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 4, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

4 Million Artsy Dilettantes

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

What gets me about this poo poo is that it's always predicated on an Infinite Growth Mindset. Like... if AEW doesn't get any bigger, does basically these numbers forever, that's fine? It is profitable already it seems like, so it's not in danger. Not everyone in the world has to become a wrestling fan! and to the extent people will, i think that basically comes by putting on good wrestling anyways. honestly, i /don't/ want aew to get any bigger than it is- if there's gonna be more growth in the industry, it should be from having more viable promotions, not AEW becoming as big as WWE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

oh no, I hate it when things don't redound to my advantage.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Nea posted:

What gets me about this poo poo is that it's always predicated on an Infinite Growth Mindset. Like... if AEW doesn't get any bigger, does basically these numbers forever, that's fine? It is profitable already it seems like, so it's not in danger. Not everyone in the world has to become a wrestling fan! and to the extent people will, i think that basically comes by putting on good wrestling anyways. honestly, i /don't/ want aew to get any bigger than it is- if there's gonna be more growth in the industry, it should be from having more viable promotions, not AEW becoming as big as WWE

It's because late stage capitalism is entirely predicated on infinite growth. We live in a world where like anything less than high double digit growth is seen as disastrous.

If AEW were to maintain these numbers without any radical shifts in platform availability for say, the next five years, they'd be in excellent shape because cable subscribers will keep dwindling and that's the only platform they're on. The viewership argument is, of course, bad faith because WWE's viewership numbers have slid literally every year for like a decade now at an even higher rate than cable cancellations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

This dude definitely knows what it's like in LA

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Alaois posted:

4 Million Artsy Dilettantes

THE MILLIONS.... AND THE MILLIONS OF ARTSY DILETTANTES!!!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Imagine writing this, one of the dumbest things ever said.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/KJackewicz/status/1533205333212114944?t=O_P1jatwboevXiHjxuP-EQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/KJackewicz/status/1533247915312939008?t=tgPZ0wa61NhmQ9qkZiQ3xg&s=19

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

As someone who stopped watching wrestling as a youngun circa 2002 and came back to it in 2021 for AEW specifically(and have recruited a couple of other lapsed viewers who also love it), I never understand what about it was supposed to put me off. A lot of the things that get cited often by online weirds with axes to grind are things I found intriguing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lol I love Gareth realizing that WWE is bad.

That is a hurting roster. 25 non-injured men, 8 non-wrestlers, 7 active women.