Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

So you're saying we should all be trembling in fear of the Egyptians and Greeks.

The Turks, actually.

Never mind that, we should fear the era spanning might of the San Marinans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My aunt retired to France. I enjoy trolling her friends by reminding them that the best sparkling wine in the world is English and the best cheese in the world is American.

e: Seriously why would anyone ever buy Champagne when Cava and Processco exist, are just as good, and cost less than $10.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 4, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

My aunt retired to France. I enjoy trolling her friends by reminding them that the best sparkling wine in the world is English and the best cheese in the world is American.

e: Seriously why would anyone ever buy Champagne when Cava and Processco exist, are just as good, and cost less than $10.

If you can’t tell the difference among champagne, cava, and Prosecco you probably shouldn’t be commenting on who has the best food and drink.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I miss super cheap delicious Prosecco while in Italy.
Get me a pair of bottles and my evening was perfect.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you can’t tell the difference among champagne, cava, and Prosecco you probably shouldn’t be commenting on who has the best food and drink.

I can, but for me the difference doesn't translate to a $30 premium.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

If you’re ever in Sigonella, super cheap Nero d’Avola is awesome and hardly ever exported.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I'm really not sure what you're arguing against.

We lost the Vietnam war the moment we decided to get involved.

edit: Let me put it this way: If France had the resources that the United States wasted in Vietnam, the Vietnamese would be a subjugated people to this day. If the United States had the political will and military objectives that France did, I dunno, we'd probably have ended up in another Korean War situation with China. Maybe even outright WWIII.

I misread the tone of your comment. My bad.

I thought you were saying that "we never lost a battle/we are winning when I left/military won-politics lost" poo poo. Apologies. I'm cranky.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

I'm partial to Martini and Rossi "champagne" myself. $15 is right up my aisle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

Not in France it doesn't!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I misread the tone of your comment. My bad.

I thought you were saying that "we never lost a battle/we are winning when I left/military won-politics lost" poo poo. Apologies. I'm cranky.

I can tell!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I enjoy Prosecco as much as anyone but a good Prosecco is like a good hamburger. A good champagne is like a good steak.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
People in the south of France don't drink champagne, they drink their local cremant

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Cheap sparkling wine is usually just force carbonated plonk. Spumante wines are almost universally not worth their significantly lower price but many frizzantes (and Lambruscos!) can be as enjoyable as champagne. But the second best sparkling wines behind champagne are still just other loving French sparkling wines too! Burgundy makes some beautiful ones, and Loire valley sparklers are also dope.

Er, sorry can you make sunflower wine? (No) Do the Ukranians grow grapes? I know Croatia, Hungary have an extremely long history of delicious wine

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Soul Dentist posted:

Cheap sparkling wine is usually just force carbonated plonk. Spumante wines are almost universally not worth their significantly lower price but many frizzantes (and Lambruscos!) can be as enjoyable as champagne. But the second best sparkling wines behind champagne are still just other loving French sparkling wines too! Burgundy makes some beautiful ones, and Loire valley sparklers are also dope.

Er, sorry can you make sunflower wine? (No) Do the Ukranians grow grapes? I know Croatia, Hungary have an extremely long history of delicious wine

Georgian wine is great, especially the weird ancient method stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Prosecco is the good poo poo. It's what my very Catholic paternal grandmother drank.

Mind you I don't usually drink sparkling wine unless it's set in front of me at a celebration.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Soul Dentist posted:

Croatia has some delicious alcohols. I brought home an amazing gin, red wine based liquor and a honey brandy.

Man I miss Croatia too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can tell the color of a wine on sight with over 90% accuracy.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

lol uhhhh what is the cheese you're talking about?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Grip it and rip it posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I kind of want to just post a picture of Velveeta.

edit: correction, the great value knockoff

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I love me some pasteurized processed cheese food substitute.

Edit: love that image of the jizzing milk bottle that carefully avoids making the actual claim the product contains milk.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 5, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

When you're not legally allowed to call it "cheese", and the focus groups advise against calling it what it is, an abomination wrought by science.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Back before Kraft figured out processed cheese American cheese just meant cheddar.

Actual good American cheese is still just cheddar or Colby prepared with an emulsifier at an elevated temperature. Those are just labeled “process American Cheese”. If it says “process American cheese food” then it’s only 51% cheese and the rest is some other dairy products. If it says anything else then it’s a not legally distinguished product and could be anything.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

A.o.D. posted:

I love me some pasteurized processed cheese food substitute.

Edit: love that image of the jizzing milk bottle that carefully avoids making the actual claim the product contains milk.

"Pasteurized process cheese food" gets a bad rap. The main ingredient is required to be actual dairy cheese, and the stuff that's allowed to be blended in is mostly cheese-adjacent dairy products like whey and cream. Most importantly, they're permitted to blend in emulsifying salts to prevent it from "breaking" when melted (meaning it stays creamy and doesn't have the oil separate out). This is why American cheese is so fuckin' good on a burger.

https://www.seriouseats.com/whats-really-in-american-cheese

"Pasteurized Process American Slices" are the no-cheese vegetable oil based substitute. Also, as Lopez-Alt says, be a little more skeptical of products using labels which sound similar to "Pasteurized Process Cheese Food" but aren't actually one of the FDA-regulated labels.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BobHoward posted:

"Pasteurized process cheese food" gets a bad rap. The main ingredient is required to be actual dairy cheese, and the stuff that's allowed to be blended in is mostly cheese-adjacent dairy products like whey and cream. Most importantly, they're permitted to blend in emulsifying salts to prevent it from "breaking" when melted (meaning it stays creamy and doesn't have the oil separate out). This is why American cheese is so fuckin' good on a burger.

https://www.seriouseats.com/whats-really-in-american-cheese

"Pasteurized Process American Slices" are the no-cheese vegetable oil based substitute. Also, as Lopez-Alt says, be a little more skeptical of products using labels which sound similar to "Pasteurized Process Cheese Food" but aren't actually one of the FDA-regulated labels.

my dude, the label literally starts the nomenclature with "imitation". It is legally distinct from cheese or cheese food. The closest this product gets to cheese is the use of casein. The main ingredient is vegetable oil.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I like how salty it is

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I had a cheese dealer in Germany. I've never met a cheese dealer since I got back. Europe cheese > Murica cheese.

(I literally mean dealer. He had some five year aged gouda and I asked him jokingly if he had anything older. He no poo poo, did the over-the-shoulder cop check before pulling a case out from under a hidden drawer in his cart)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

I had a cheese dealer in Germany. I've never met a cheese dealer since I got back. Europe cheese > Murica cheese.

(I literally mean dealer. He had some five year aged gouda and I asked him jokingly if he had anything older. He no poo poo, did the over-the-shoulder cop check before pulling a case out from under a hidden drawer in his cart)

1. Cheese *monger*

2. After he went through the trouble you bought some, right? RIGHT?!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

1. Cheese *monger*

2. After he went through the trouble you bought some, right? RIGHT?!

1. No. People with storefronts, who purchase inventory from wholesalers, are cheesemongers. This dude was a straight-up cheese dealer

2. gently caress yes, 11 year aged gouda. You remember that gum that advertised "flavor crystals"? I found out where they got the idea

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

1. No. People with storefronts, who purchase inventory from wholesalers, are cheesemongers. This dude was a straight-up cheese dealer

2. gently caress yes, 11 year aged gouda. You remember that gum that advertised "flavor crystals"? I found out where they got the idea

oh yeah that's the good poo poo.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1533237198970974208?t=R9DRyx1wOv8s-ZnRi2rgQQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1533237383776194560?t=bkykvzIRrMw_ve8Xs0AH6g&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1533237538567008256?t=vbhuW4s9T9g48xrfDiQTJQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1533237807908417536?t=r9VwJPE8mVC7ag3mR5muDg&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1533237888791457793?t=k2nsiepsElU4sqyBvgY7gA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1533237994747940864?t=WztWq-AhWAe3tZzZgs0Law&s=19

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

GD_American posted:

https://twitter.com/nescartridges/status/1527715617201180672

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GD_American posted:

smuggling cheese is a surprisingly big organized crime thing. up to an including cheese heists.

It makes sense though, everyone likes cheese and no one really cares where it comes from if the price and taste is right, it's super value dense, it's always a low priority crime as far as police are concerned and a couple guys with a panel truck can steal $100,000 of the stuff in a couple hours.

maybe not the most glamorous organized crime, but hey you also aren't getting a 30 year prison sentence for stealing cheese. Sanctions on cheese in the last decade have only increased the market for smuggled cheese, too.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

A.o.D. posted:

my dude, the label literally starts the nomenclature with "imitation". It is legally distinct from cheese or cheese food. The closest this product gets to cheese is the use of casein. The main ingredient is vegetable oil.

Don't want to derail more but I was responding specifically to "pasteurized process cheese food", which most people assume is imitation cheese since it sounds weasel word as gently caress even though it actually is real cheese. Sorry if I missed some context!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This is one of those images that is supposed to troll someone but instead gets a :hmmyes:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

holy poo poo, this raises a memory.

I asked the guy one day how strong bleu cheese got, and he gave me a hunk of the creamiest, most delicious, but also definitely fragrant bleu imaginable. I bought a half-kilo of it, and one Thursday afternoon to gently caress with my wife, while I was waiting to pick her up from work (she worked on the same base I did, as a housing inspector- she got off before me every day but Thursday), I started eating it in the car like an apple. It stunk up the whole car (hell, it stunk up the minifridge at work I used to store it that day), and she was grossed out, so yeah successful joke, but I found out something dark about me-

I'd have eaten that whole goddamned chunk right then and there, no bread or anything. It was that fantastic.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GD_American posted:

...but I found out something dark about me-

I'd have eaten that whole goddamned chunk right then and there, no bread or anything. It was that fantastic.

:hmmyes:

The first time I went to the Portland Saturday Market I happened across a cheese guy who was so happy to hand out samples I just had to buy some product otherwise I would've eaten him right out of his booth. Likewise I asked him for the strongest bleu he had, and to this day that remains some of the best cheese I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GD_American posted:

This is how you properly cheesepost in GIP.