Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Cromwell had a cornish accent.
So a vampire hunter sounding like the old guy from Hot Fuzz would be watchable as hell.

Edit: 11. 11 is one less than the amount of millions Prince Nonce of Noncenton paid to keep his noncing out of the papers.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

So a vampire hunter sounding like the old guy from Hot Fuzz would be watchable as hell.

Edit: 11. 11 is one less than the amount of millions Prince Nonce of Noncenton paid to keep his noncing out of the papers.

Cornish? He was from the Cambridge area.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cornish? He was from the Cambridge area.

Aha, indeed my mistake.
I remember Mark Steele saying he would have had a rural accent.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Aha, indeed my mistake.

It's interesting to watch some of those videos of Shakespeare done in the accents that would have applied at the time. They're definitely not RP and with our modern use of RP for Shakespeare various puns and rhymes are missed.
https://youtu.be/qYiYd9RcK5M

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
yeah everybody in themdays spoke probly like folks in the west country or rural norfolk and it's a shame that isn't the case today imo

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

happyhippy posted:

He was born in East Anglia- he sounded like an East Anglian.

God's Englishman did not sound like he was recovering from a serious head injury.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet Charles did right at the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dogatron posted:

God's Englishman did not sound like he was recovering from a serious head injury.

Would be inconsistent with most of the other englishmen if he didn't.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I wasn't that big a fan of The Canterbury Tales til I saw it at Bradford Alhambra narrated by Brian Glover, in full force broad Yorkshire. It loving ruled.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/lesmisofficial/status/1533010724171223040?t=yJWiJxy5Nf46dZ7mcUafYw&s=19

This seems inconsistent with the themes of the novel

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Finally a plate for those crowds of woke union flag waving monarchists.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

lmao gottein

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Finally, 20 points ahead:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1533135353472815113?s=20

I note this was field work up to 22nd May.
Wonder if things have got better or worse for tories since then.

Unrelated:

Apparently "The Palace" chose this passage for the Prime Binbag of Custard to read out:

Quoting a passage from Philippians 4:8, the Prime Minister said: "Whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable … think about these things."

Re the booing:
"One Twitter user, John West, said in response to footage of Mr and Ms Johnson walking into St Paul's Cathedral, with a stir in the background: "Crowds of woke, Union-Jack waving, left-wing monarchists and nobility boo the Johnsons.""

(Source: daily hexx)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 4, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61691816

the sensible centrist brain really knows no limits in its determination to see both sides eh

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what a stupid oval office

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Bloody French, already negotiating their surrender in a war they aren't even in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean he is right in that that doesn't historically work out very well for anybody. Nobody is willing to actually invade Russia over it (and that would be stupid and just get countless more people killed) so necessarily it's either got to end in a negotiated ceasefire or Ukraine losing. And they aren't going to agree to a ceasefire unless it gives them a "way out" as he says.

Macron might generally be an idiot but I don't think he's incorrect about that specifically.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i disagree i think russia should be isolated and humiliated as much as possible

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Teabag Russia

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the russian army has been doing a fine job of humiliating itself, mind

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The only time Russia didn't look embarrassed and out of its depth in all this was when labrov was dealing with Liz truss.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

thx BBC for that thoroughly creepy close up image

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

for a while every article they had on monkeypox led with a detailed image of what the rash looked like :wtf:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Aha, indeed my mistake.

Rural Cambridge accents are now and were back then even more of a thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially among the Puritans, being Nene conformists.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1533166412486918145?s=20&t=2xrKKguCAp69AzHh-f3AzA

I'm not saying they're doing this because she's actually dead (more that she's clearly too decrepit and tired for this poo poo), but there's clearly some sort of CGI/deepfake thing going on here, right? It's so obviously uncanny

(... on the old lady, I hasten to add, not the cartoon bear)

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
A billion pound spectacle of insane jingoism, topped off by Diana Ross singing Chain Reaction is one of the all-time weirdest and most depressing things I've witnessed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1533166412486918145?s=20&t=2xrKKguCAp69AzHh-f3AzA

I'm not saying they're doing this because she's actually dead (more that she's clearly too decrepit and tired for this poo poo), but there's clearly some sort of CGI/deepfake thing going on here, right? It's so obviously uncanny

Apparently it's real!

(well not the bear obviously!)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/04/paddington-bear-takes-tea-and-marmalade-with-queen-in-jubilee-video

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Answers Me posted:

Priti Patel is going to deport that furry scrounger back to Peru.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not-lol, my old employer, who couldn't afford to keep a nice facility in Kent open, so that they could keep producing critical products in *checks notes* loving Sturgis? Yeah I'll bet that the people from the one place in the US that was happy to host half a million bikers in August 2020 would be super careful when it comes to consumer safety

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Accents chat:

This is an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXv3Tt4x20

I can definitely hear my nan's accent in there reflected in the early 16th century bit. (She was from West Bromwich).

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

the sensible centrist brain really knows no limits in its determination to see both sides eh

Ah yes the old "We must give in to the bully because imagine what they might do if they lose!"

*checks notes*

"They might... invade another country and commit numerous horrific war crimes!"

*shuffles papers*

"erm..."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

Putin has said, and this is very close to quote-unquote, that there is no point to the world existing if Russia has no place in it. This is not something you want to hear from a man who has over 6,000 nuclear warheads at his disposal and very few restrictions on him using them. Macron is 100% correct that Putin needs to be left with a means to stop fighting, because he's also made it abundantly clear that he won't stop if he wins in Ukraine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Russia can have a place in the world if the Holy Rus cult that started all this gets utterly humiliated to the point of irrelevance instead.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jedit posted:

Putin needs to be left with a means to stop fighting, because he's also made it abundantly clear that he won't stop if he wins in Ukraine.
I'm pretty sure the Russian troops know the way back to loving Russia and with 100 percent control of the state media Putin can pretty much make up any poo poo he wants to save face.

The problem is not the west not providing an exit ramp. The problem is working out if its an ideological opposition to Ukrainian existence in Putins mind, or if its all about monopoly gas field access and development.

Those yellow areas contain 3.5x more gas than the entirety of Norway and there's already a huge pipeline right to europe... Those also cover some very familiar areas.

At least that's my theory. Its all about monopoly gas and not allowing them to cut hundreds of billions of dollars into Russias biggest market.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mebh posted:

I'm pretty sure the Russian troops know the way back to loving Russia

I think there's a greater-than-50:50 chance that the soldiers of Captain rank and higher know how to go back home, but I'd be skeptical that the grunts do.
Given how the war has been described in Russia, there's a fairly decent chance that Pr. Alexey Nurmatov thinks he's fighting a ground battle to secure Rylsk rather than Buryn (to choose two arbitrary towns a similar-ish distance from the pre-war border).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

crispix posted:

Said it in the Ukraine thread, but Macron is giving off major energy of a guy who just can't accept that his golf club buddy got blind drunk and brutally attacked a neighbour with a tyre iron. "But - he's cool, he's my bro, he wouldn't do that! The other guy must have provoked him!"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

crispix posted:

Yes, it worked out very well when we did it to Germany after WW1.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It worked out much better after WW2 when we humiliated the ideology instead, removed it's symbols, destroyed it's altars.

Give Putin an out where he can blame the whole thing on Kyrill and Dugin and hang them upside down outside a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

It worked out much better after WW2 when we humiliated the ideology instead, removed it's symbols, destroyed it's altars.

Give Putin an out where he can blame the whole thing on Kyrill and Dugin and hang them upside down outside a garage.

The last two posts are exactly it. If we humiliate and isolate Russia, the Russian people will bind more closely to Putin or the next nationalist whackjob who comes along. If we humilate and isolate the regime, and we restrict that to the boundaries of the war, the message is sent: Russia has a place in the world, imperialist murderers are the ones we have a problem with.