Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

The "squee" notes in that song are all over the place, but I think they're being used more as a texture and a contrast than a "note" specifically. They could be replaced by screeching feedback and it wouldn't really be any different. And that's okay! It's more of a texture/percussive riff.

Well before that, Bach used to throw his "signature" in fugues, and that's Bb A C B.

Ehh I wouldn’t say they’re all over the place, there’s a very deliberate chromatic movement between half steps, which is emphasised by the fact that they are played as slides. In particular there’s this thing modern metal guitarists love where they play a half step diad across two strings which really emphasises the clanging tone of the most dissonant interval and creates a kind of clanging effect. It wouldn’t be the same if they were truely random tones.

Also feedback is never a truely random tone either, it’s somewhat random but it’s always a harmonic of the note being held. One of my favourite bands Whores uses this very well.

E; top of the new page. Here’s a song a goon skated in with a few years ago and dropped and it’s been in my playlist ever since https://open.spotify.com/track/5DUHXcBWExWFrgyFgToNTx?si=dTFj1p4BSomnDcmpjDQVbQ

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

landgrabber posted:

sure. i called it an interval because it's more along the lines of a power chord usually... the jeff rosenstock one is a simple example. C, D/F#, G are the first three chords. you'd play the D/F# like 254XXX. i have my guitar in my lap as i type this and just tried it with barre chords, and it sounds the same if you just play C, D, G, all majors.

which could make it feel like kind of a modal Gmaj thing, but crucially, Gmaj7 doesn't work right in the song -- and the little cadence riffs do F, G, F, G, Cmaj7 during a lot of the song, and there's the long ambient part in the middle that goes between Cmaj7 and Fmaj7. so at the very least some murky key stuff.

I missed some context so feel free to correct me but I’d just say it’s a V of V. DMajor to Gmajor to Cmajor is V/V then V then I. It is basically in g Major as you said but v of v makes sense as well.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Weird BIAS posted:

I missed some context so feel free to correct me but I’d just say it’s a V of V. DMajor to Gmajor to Cmajor is V/V then V then I. It is basically in g Major as you said but v of v makes sense as well.

yeah it's just hard for me to calculate numeral analysis on the fly so i kind of just strip everything to chromatics, when it comes to chord borrowing... cause there's always a chromatic explanation for it. maybe i have the terminology wrong, what i'm trying to say is i just prefer stripping it back to the notes themselves and seeing how they move

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

massive spider posted:

Ehh I wouldn’t say they’re all over the place, there’s a very deliberate chromatic movement between half steps, which is emphasised by the fact that they are played as slides.

Eh, that's fair. I think part of it is trying to recreate the same sort of squealing like what you hear on Mayonaise or a thousand other songs.

massive spider posted:

Also feedback is never a truely random tone either, it’s somewhat random but it’s always a harmonic of the note being held. One of my favourite bands Whores uses this very well.

It's definitely not always a harmonic of the note being held. Feedback can be caused by a lot of things, harmonic vibration of one of the strings is one of them, but it can also be a product of distance from the speaker and room reverberation if you have microphonic pickups or it can be straight up the pickups getting the EM vibration directly from the speaker.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I assume some the information in the OP is valid for classical guitars (regarding shopping for one as a beginner), I just need brand recommendations so I know what to look out for.

I went to a music store today and will probably avoid Lucinda, and maybe Ortega?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I just want to line those guys up and

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not rushing yet having just built one, but I'm looking for a 335-alike kit for a new project. Looking around there's seem to be a few decent UK options, which I assume use similar or identical Asian-manufactured part simply collected together and sold as a kit.

I'm a bit tepid on Kit Built Guitar's offering just for the pale fretboard, although maybe after staining the maple that can be set off better? It also comes with what I assume is a knock-off Bigsby trem.
https://kitbuiltguitars.co.uk/guitar-kits/diy-335-style-hollow-body-mahogany-build-your-own-guitar-kit/

Guitar Fabric have three versions, the main stated difference being wood and fitting colours, although the Chrome/Mahogany one comes with one of those Bigsby-alikes and apparently a little extra detailing on the headstock.
https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/products/diy-guitar-kits/electric-guitar-kits.html?body_type=5656&p=5

Coban have a huge range of combinations of bodies, hardware, woods etc so helpfully have a "semi-hollow" search filter. Which is full of solid body guitars as well. It's a bit hard to look over all the variants because of that and the naff phones they have, including many that seem mismatched to what's described, but here's a better example:
https://cobanguitars.co.uk/product/semi-hollow-guitar-diy-kit-es230-flamed-maple-veneer-chrome/

I'm leaning toward guitar fabric one, although it looks like if I go for the Bigsby one I'll need to do some drilling? Can't see how it's fitted otherwise. Coban have more variety of woods that might be worth a look but probably need to talk to them for clarity on what I'd be getting. Plus maybe I should get one without a trem and buy and actual Asian-built Bigsby instead? I'm interested in exploring a bunch of aftermarket parts but this is probably cheaper than trying to get a body and neck and then everything else separate.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That Old Ganon posted:

I assume some the information in the OP is valid for classical guitars (regarding shopping for one as a beginner), I just need brand recommendations so I know what to look out for.

I went to a music store today and will probably avoid Lucinda, and maybe Ortega?

I've got a Cordoba C5 and like it a lot. Yamaha also makes great guitars.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

landgrabber posted:

anyway: more in this thread's interest:

i sold my tube screamer recently 'cause i needed the money and it wasn't really being used that much... i didn't like the sound of it that much on my humbucker guitar, especially compared to the RAT.

so now my pedalboard's looking pretty basic/bare... what should i get?? thinking about a big muff of some kind... maybe a carcosa.

these days i mostly play through my amp on clean since the dirty channel on a hot rod amp is um... "special". so i like dirt pedals that really saturate the signal a lot.

i really want to be able to get a sound like the right channel guitar on this sing -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRqR-pXoUk kinda raspy and textured.

There's been a few other recommendations for Big Muff pedals, and that is certainly the ballpark to aim for. The standard EHX Big Muff pedals aren't super expensive, as far as pedals go, at around $100 new. I'm having a little trouble finding cheaper mini clones of the Big Muff on Amazon, so EHX might have gotten the obvious ones taken down for now. There are all kinds of handmade clones on Reverb across a wide range of prices.

One of the mainstream evolutions of the Big Muff design is the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. They clearly signal it is based on the Big Muff with the name (jokes!), but the added controls allow it to be more versatile than what you would get in one of the normal 3-knob Big Muffs. That might help get closer to the sound on the right channel guitar from that Weezer song, which sounds a bit more mid-pushed to me. A Swollen Pickle is a bit more expensive than the standard Big Muffs but stays under $150 new.

The official Way Huge demo videos leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion, so here's a Swollen Pickle Mk II demo from a random guy on YouTube. He's playing through an older, bigger version of the pedal and goes through the range on the controls, including the trim pots on the inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rq0XaEJg60

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
FWIW I sold my pickle when I switched over to the rat. I wanted a less scooped sound and beyond that there wasn't enough difference for me to justify it.

The SF300 on the other hand has a well deserved slot on my board for gnarly ugly metal sounds.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Major Operation posted:

There's been a few other recommendations for Big Muff pedals, and that is certainly the ballpark to aim for. The standard EHX Big Muff pedals aren't super expensive, as far as pedals go, at around $100 new. I'm having a little trouble finding cheaper mini clones of the Big Muff on Amazon, so EHX might have gotten the obvious ones taken down for now. There are all kinds of handmade clones on Reverb across a wide range of prices.

One of the mainstream evolutions of the Big Muff design is the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. They clearly signal it is based on the Big Muff with the name (jokes!), but the added controls allow it to be more versatile than what you would get in one of the normal 3-knob Big Muffs. That might help get closer to the sound on the right channel guitar from that Weezer song, which sounds a bit more mid-pushed to me. A Swollen Pickle is a bit more expensive than the standard Big Muffs but stays under $150 new.

The official Way Huge demo videos leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion, so here's a Swollen Pickle Mk II demo from a random guy on YouTube. He's playing through an older, bigger version of the pedal and goes through the range on the controls, including the trim pots on the inside.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802589390861.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

This is my second favorite Muff after my v6 boutique clone and just before my Hizumitas clone (idk if that counts), also beating out an EHX Green Russian reissue (for most things, anyway), a hand built Rams Head, and one w/ a bandaxall tone stack instead of standard. Its a triangle

There's a couple things I assume are the same on Amazon from the typical brands

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The only fuzz I have is an EQD Hoof, which is apparently based on the Russian Big Muff, and I'm really happy with it for Muff-related needs. I'd like to pick up another kind of fuzz at some point, maybe a fuzz face-type circuit

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Major Operation posted:

ooh i like how this sounds. the weezer song is definitely mid-pushed... my general impression of the blue album guitar tone (which i always loved, that's basically what i'm always striving for if playing dirty) is that in a lot of cases it's kind of just a Mesa-y Classic Rock tone, maybe dialed up or broken up a little more than usual. like, the mesa tones on Nevermind aren't too too far off...

blah.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i figured nevermind was recorded on a $100 guitar into some hosed up fender champ or something via a beer-soaked muff and butch vig applied $8700 of neve to bring it all back into fighting trim

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

in utero is a sansamp into a twin

sansamp does a real good mesa for something you can get a clone of for $40

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i figured nevermind was recorded on a $100 guitar into some hosed up fender champ or something via a beer-soaked muff and butch vig applied $8700 of neve to bring it all back into fighting trim

on a right handed guitar probably flip-strung without refiling the nut even

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jonny 290 posted:

I have no idea what guitar Kurt used but Butch was laying the shine on at every level past that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Based on the description of Nirvana's recording sessions in Dave Grohl's autobiography, that's probably pretty accurate

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ColdPie posted:

I've got a Cordoba C5 and like it a lot. Yamaha also makes great guitars.
Bless.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

landgrabber posted:

ooh i like how this sounds. the weezer song is definitely mid-pushed... my general impression of the blue album guitar tone (which i always loved, that's basically what i'm always striving for if playing dirty) is that in a lot of cases it's kind of just a Mesa-y Classic Rock tone, maybe dialed up or broken up a little more than usual. like, the mesa tones on Nevermind aren't too too far off...

blah.

I've read the internet rumors about how they recorded the Blue album with Ric Ocasek, and that matches up with your impression. Supposedly it was an old Les Paul Junior with a P90 into a old Mesa, possibly a Mark I, into a 4x12. But then they recorded it a low volume somehow? I don't know how we're supposed to tell how much of that gear mattered versus whatever double tracking or engineering tricks they might have done.

Another thing to try when you are searching for how to get a specific sound out of dirt pedals is to get an EQ pedal. There is no way to make marketing copy for EQ pedals sound exciting, and there's not really much innovation happening with them, so I think you just don't hear about them very often. The best seller in EQ pedals has probably been the Boss GE-7 for 40 years. However, nearly every YouTube channel that covers pedals seems to have a video on how EQ pedals add versatility to the gear you already have, especially fuzz and distortion.

Here's a video Brian Wampler did on EQ pedals with fuzz, but I've definitely seen others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZktA4Sqbsg

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It isn't news but gosh the Carbon Copy is good. I need to move the GE-7 in to the signal chain I am using too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Oh man, back in my old days, my bandmate wired up one of those radio shack stereo graphic EQs into his rig; left side took his guitar input and fed it into the amp, right side was in the effects loop of the amp. He could dial up any distortion or amp feel he wanted, it was pretty amazing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
EQ pedals should probably be on just about every pedal board unless you're doing some straight into the amp purity tone sort of thing. Try it in front and behind dirt pedals and in the effects loop, you can get a lot of tone shaping out of a relatively cheap pedal. They're super useful.

You know what else is super useful? A loving metronome. I'm the worst about it and most days would rather cut off one of my thumbs than sit there and run through exercises with a click but its really really helpful to increase accuracy and left-right hand synchronization. I've been trying to learn this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmX_lGwL1l4

and my normal strategy of "play with the song slowed down on youtube until I can get it up to speed" was not getting anywhere near to cutting it. The whole goddamn song is nothing but alternate picked 16ths at like 6 billion bpm. I finally broke down and started practicing the riffs with a click and it honestly works. I'm still no where close to album speed, but I was able to get it much more accurate at like 70% and I'm pretty sure I can close in on album tempo in a few days/weeks. So consider this post yalls daily reminder to use a dang ol metronome.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Nile rips 🙏

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Anyone have any thoughts on the JHS Colourbox? I play a Strat and Tele through a Deluxe Reverb. Seems like a cool pedal with a lot of uses. Thinking about scooping one up but they’re not cheap.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

DangerousSmells posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the JHS Colourbox? I play a Strat and Tele through a Deluxe Reverb. Seems like a cool pedal with a lot of uses. Thinking about scooping one up but they’re not cheap.

What are you hoping to do with it? What does your pedalboard consist of now? I'm not that familiar, but it does seem like a pedal with a very specific purpose in mind. It's unique no doubt, but it'd be a hard sell for me.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Major Operation posted:

I've read the internet rumors about how they recorded the Blue album with Ric Ocasek, and that matches up with your impression. Supposedly it was an old Les Paul Junior with a P90 into a old Mesa, possibly a Mark I, into a 4x12. But then they recorded it a low volume somehow? I don't know how we're supposed to tell how much of that gear mattered versus whatever double tracking or engineering tricks they might have done.

Another thing to try when you are searching for how to get a specific sound out of dirt pedals is to get an EQ pedal. There is no way to make marketing copy for EQ pedals sound exciting, and there's not really much innovation happening with them, so I think you just don't hear about them very often. The best seller in EQ pedals has probably been the Boss GE-7 for 40 years. However, nearly every YouTube channel that covers pedals seems to have a video on how EQ pedals add versatility to the gear you already have, especially fuzz and distortion.

Here's a video Brian Wampler did on EQ pedals with fuzz, but I've definitely seen others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZktA4Sqbsg

oh i am one of the top experts in blue album guitar tone.

rivers’s tracks were recorded with the superstrat he played at the time — a JB in the bridge, through a mesa mark 1. such an early mark 1 that it was actually 60 watts, not 100. they sold it under the name Mesa Super 60 for a little while. the amp was quiet while recording.

the original rhythm guitarist left the band during the recording sessions, so rivers had to record over all his parts too. for this, ric ocasek’s les paul jr. was used through electric lady’s marshall (i imagine a JTM of some kind).

so you have kind of a punk version of the classic les paul + telecaster combo — beefy humbucker, bright single coil.

a fun fact is that the say it ain’t so riff was played on ocasek’s jaguar. everyone thinks it’s a strat, but you can totally hear that cool jaguar “quack”.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

edited a dumb post

duodenum fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 6, 2022

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021

nitsuga posted:

What are you hoping to do with it? What does your pedalboard consist of now? I'm not that familiar, but it does seem like a pedal with a very specific purpose in mind. It's unique no doubt, but it'd be a hard sell for me.

I was hoping it would make me a better guitar player. Barring that, I would mostly use it for a mild overdrive and an EQ. Seems like it adds a nice character to clean sound as well, but I’m bad at describing sound so who knows. Seems useful for other instruments as well. I have a Moog Grandmother and want to scoop up a bass at some point.

Right now the only pedals I have are a BF-3, a Rat, and a DM-2.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

DangerousSmells posted:

I was hoping it would make me a better guitar player. Barring that, I would mostly use it for a mild overdrive and an EQ. Seems like it adds a nice character to clean sound as well, but I’m bad at describing sound so who knows. Seems useful for other instruments as well. I have a Moog Grandmother and want to scoop up a bass at some point.

Right now the only pedals I have are a BF-3, a Rat, and a DM-2.

Don't let me get in your way. The reviews are generally positive, and they do indicate it's nice in front of an amp as well as going direct into a board. You might be able to do similar things with a separate EQ and overdrive pedal though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

#ngd

The Nu>x Tape Echo ndd-7 is a Space Echo clone with 3 “tape heads” that I think isn’t out until July but one dude on Reverb is shipping out of Hong Kong

The Reuss Plasmatron is the signature pedal from Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai, it’s a parallel Op Amp Big Muff & Danelectro Fabtone distortion with a blend knob

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

The Nu>x Tape Echo ndd-7 is a Space Echo clone with 3 “tape heads” that I think isn’t out until July but one dude on Reverb is shipping out of Hong Kong

Whoa, yeah. Any first impressions? Also, do you know if its clone of the Space Echo generally or one of the Boss pedal things? The price is very right and have been kinda regretting selling my RE-20 earlier this year

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

JamesKPolk posted:

Whoa, yeah. Any first impressions? Also, do you know if its clone of the Space Echo generally or one of the Boss pedal things? The price is very right and have been kinda regretting selling my RE-20 earlier this year

AFAIK it’s “inspired by” the original RE-201 Space Echo. Sounds fantastic to my uncultured ears, but I’ve barely gotten into it. Tons of settings to dial in, but basically anything I do with it sounds really really nice.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

My G string (wound) has some noticable bumps in it. Did I break a winding, and how concerned about that should I be? I have another set of strings ready, should I pop them on just to be safe?

I've been practicing a full bend, and I'm wondering if it cut loose. Acoustic 12s, if its relevant. As an aside, this bend is a huge pain, and I wonder if I'd be better sliding up instead.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I am never going to be a good guitarists, because if I want to do something more competent I will hop on to a piano. I am fine with that. I like playing around with chord progressions and things on guitar though and having something to sing on top of at home to relax. I have gotten super lazy, though. I totally just stick with like two strum patterns now, and half rear end a lot of things. I used to be less awful at some point.

I might go find a local teacher to help smack me back into something half decent, but is there a reasonable online rhythm guitar class that isn't a hundred percent beginner but also isn't specialized skills necessarily. Like, general skills development or practice? There are so many online resources that I got pretty overwhelmed when I looked. I think I likely need some organized structure though.

I likely need to do a bunch of exercises to pull more things back into my comfort zone so that when I sit down to relax I have those things to draw from. I'm willing to spend some money if the quality is there.

Apologies if this is covered. Looked through the first post and the last couple of pages.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 7, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

T.C. posted:

I am never going to be a good guitarists, because if I want to do something more competent I will hop on to a piano. I am fine with that. I like playing around with chord progressions and things on guitar though and having something to sing on top of at home to relax. I have gotten super lazy, though. I totally just stick with like two strum patterns now, and half rear end a lot of things. I used to be less awful at some point.

I might go find a local teacher to help smack me back into something half decent, but is there a reasonable online rhythm guitar class that isn't a hundred percent beginner but also isn't specialized skills necessarily. Like, general skills development or practice? There are so many online resources that I got pretty overwhelmed when I looked. I think I likely need some organized structure though.

I likely need to do a bunch of exercises to pull more things back into my comfort zone so that when I sit down to relax I have those things to draw from. I'm willing to spend some money if the quality is there.

Apologies if this is covered. Looked through the first post and the last couple of pages.

https://justinguitar.com is what you’re in need of I think. It’s OK to be where you are, music is a lifelong endeavor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MalleusDei posted:

My G string (wound) has some noticable bumps in it. Did I break a winding, and how concerned about that should I be? I have another set of strings ready, should I pop them on just to be safe?

I've been practicing a full bend, and I'm wondering if it cut loose. Acoustic 12s, if its relevant. As an aside, this bend is a huge pain, and I wonder if I'd be better sliding up instead.

Are the bumps around the frets? Might just be bent from that. It's not the end of the world either way, I'd probably just play through it until one breaks our they get too old to cut the mustard and change em then.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Probably not the problem you're having, but I accidentally kinked a string i was restringing with and I could not figure out what the problem with the buzzing was. I took it to the tech I go to and he figured it out in like 5 minutes. Sometimes a string just gets hosed

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
loving around with this and i'm getting there... https://vocaroo.com/1i7WXI5fc3V4 (mario 3 overworld theme)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

T.C. posted:

can't comment on justin guitar, i'm sure it's good, but i got this type of stuff out of using a method book - leavitt "modern method for guitar", but any comparable series should have the same stuff. lots of little sections called "rhythm accompaniment" going through different chord forms and rhythms. if you already know a different instrument you could probably get a lot out of it... very solid foundation. of course, a teacher is always great!!