Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Glagha posted:

Consentacle is a game that I find the concept of very interesting and I think it's a cool thing but I also wish it was literally any other theme possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Been meaning to give that expansion a try yeah.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wish I could get A Divorce of Druids to the table but that one's a tough sell because my fiancee doesn't like the idea of playing a game where we're asked to take on the roles of a couple of druids who are amicably separating and trying to divide up their estate as equally as possible. That and the whole game kinda changes depending on which goal you pick. The game was designed to be about both players wanting the estate to be divided as equally as possible without taking too much/too little from the other player or giving yourself too much/too little. The other play styles have a player specifically trying to give as much as they can to the other player and keep as little to themselves as possible or choosing to try to keep as much to yourself as possible and give as little to the other player as you can. Kinda really alters the game's schtick when suddenly there's an outright winner/loser in the divorce rather than amicable separation without maliciously hoarding & excessively generous charity.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

silvergoose posted:

Been meaning to give that expansion a try yeah.
Same, Fog of Love is my favorite 2 player board game that doesn't involve dice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

girl dick energy posted:

Same, Fog of Love is my favorite 2 player board game that doesn't involve dice.

just wait until you hear the thrilling epic of Malibu and Bowser

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

Same with Tragedy Looper IMO

Tragedy Looper made sooooo much more sense to me when I finally read Higurashi.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know it's funny Fog of Love came up because I have a friend who got Consentacle and the thing I brought up when we talked about it was oh yeah there's a similar game with a less embarrassing theme called Fog of Love.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
How do people feel about Terra Mystica vs. Gaia Project in 2022? Looking for opinions mostly when playing at 2p, or potentially solo now that TM has a solo expansion. My general impression is that Gaia Project works better at lower player counts and has more interesting tech tracks, but I like the look of TM more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
General consensus is that GP is better. I still have a soft spot for TM but it definitely does tend to be more same-y in high level play. GP does work better at lower player counts too but I don't know that I'd really be interested in either of them for 2p.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

the holy poopacy posted:

General consensus is that GP is better. I still have a soft spot for TM but it definitely does tend to be more same-y in high level play. GP does work better at lower player counts too but I don't know that I'd really be interested in either of them for 2p.

I personally don't believe that there is anything, excepting possibly theme, that Terra Mystica does that Gaia Project doesn't do better. And I've played a lot of both.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just a matter of taste. GP is wider in both tactical and strategic space and while generally that's a good thing I still have a fondness for the more knife-fight feel TM provides. I don't know if I would feel that way if I hadn't played a shitload of TM before GP came around, though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i just put an order in for GP after being made aware of it only recently; despite TM being a favorite and getting a lot of plays. Looking forward to it even more now

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Glagha posted:

You know it's funny Fog of Love came up because I have a friend who got Consentacle and the thing I brought up when we talked about it was oh yeah there's a similar game with a less embarrassing theme called Fog of Love.

Other than being about a relationship, I don't think they are very similar. In Consentacle, players are trying to accomplish the same thing, with arbitrarily limited communication; I would say the "better" iteration on that theme is The Mind. In Fog of Love, players have different agendas and are telling the story of a relationship through the game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought the presentation, quality, documentation, and ESPECIALLY the "how to play" approach in Fog of Love was amazing, and the kind of thing the hobby could use a lot more of.

Regrettably I didn't think it was much of a "game", really, but the attention paid to design quality on all fronts is fantastic and the kind of thing one should strive to emulate in the game world :sun:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

I thought the presentation, quality, documentation, and ESPECIALLY the "how to play" approach in Fog of Love was amazing, and the kind of thing the hobby could use a lot more of.

Regrettably I didn't think it was much of a "game", really, but the attention paid to design quality on all fronts is fantastic and the kind of thing one should strive to emulate in the game world :sun:

Totally agree. I think even especially for a game that is more a collaborative story than a game, a clear design vision and very easy ways to engage with the game state are a huge help. Tabletop games and RPGs could both benefit from more of it. If it were easy, though everyone would do it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think both Terra Mystica and Gaia Project have their places, but admittedly I am wholly addicted to GP right now, especially now that I've connected to my friends on it in the app. Now I have a constant drip feed of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah I fully agree with this.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So there will be a new big Uwe Rosenberg game in Essen this year.

You are trying to balance farms and Nature in Ghana and the theme is really intriguing.

Rules can be found here:

https://lookout-spiele.de/en/games/atiwa.html

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Looks like a Feast for Odin in Africa. Sounds good to me, I'll definitely give it a shot in Essen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huh, well, that's a compelling summary to me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flying foxes are cool and good

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Uwe goes batshit.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Uwe goes batshit.

silvergoose posted:

Huh, well, that's a compelling summary to me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

Gold and fruit bats are supposed to be in unlimited supply. If you ever run out, please improvise.
:sickos:

quote:

Trained families do not eat fruit bats. (You could say this is a disadvantage of training.)

quote:

Come up with your own solo challenges and tell us about them on our social media outlets using hashtag #atiwa4one!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A cute animeeple game that might be compelling?!

Hot drat, please don’t be NYZ or raccoon tycoon or llama land. But who am I kidding, it’s an Uwe game.

I’m still going to be hyped and let down later.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Looks like AAG is doing a big pre-order thing and in two weeks or so a kickstarter (for the same thing but... different?).

In the list of new games will be:

- 21Moon
- 1822PNW
- 18SJ
- 18GB
- 18NY

We've talked about moon already here a bit but does anyone have any experience with the others here? None of them are really standing out to me at the moment and information is a bit sparse.

Thanks for this. NY seemed like the most interesting of the bunch.

VVVV

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 2, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
All of them apart from 22PNW are on .games to try out. Here's my impressions from play there.
22PNW is another '22. I have no further details.
I played SJ a while ago, so it may have developed, but it was a not very interesting game of '30 on a different map.
GB is a run good companies game of tile laying and tokening, that plays surprisingly quickly. My sole experience with games like that is '22. GB is more reasonable in scale. The main gimmicks are fully restrictive tile placement, which means you must be able to run on the new track, and if that track is gated behind a tokened out city then you can't upgrade that tile. And a weird tile set with lots of OO cities that upgrade to strange tangles of rail. I enjoyed it, but i don't think it will replace 60, so I'm not getting it.
NY is a game of little minors building track and taking loans until one cataclysmic merger event absorbs most of them into the NYC. I have played it once but completely forgot about it until looking at the map while starting another game. Going from two guys in the discord, it's divisive!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
18GB I've played twice, a long time ago. It's a chip off 1825/60 and is kind of interesting, especially if you've played neither of those two, though from what I've heard they're making a bunch of changes so I don't know how those will affect it.

1822PNW I have not played myself but have talked to people that have played it in person and it sounds like a fairly interesting twist on the 22 formula. The big thing is that instead of bidding on concessions which let you open majors later, you can only form majors via merging minors. There's a bunch of other small stuff but that's the main change.

18NY I have played a decent amount, both the old version and the currently everchanging "v2". Full disclosure, I game with the designer every Saturday. There are some interesting things, like the fact that you're never train tight since you can voluntarily scrap trains, the hostile takeovers/mergers, and the formation of the NYC. There's a lot of interesting maneuvering early on with the minors which is probably the best part of the game. The end seems possibly rather overly determined by who gets the 4DEs in the current version, whether or not that's an improvement over the old version where it was overly determined by who got the 5DEs remains to be seen. I liked the v2 version where they buffed some of the crappier companies by making their presidencies 30% certs, not so certain I'm a fan of how they buffed the west side of the map though.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I've played all but PNW - but SJ and Moon only once.

GB
- Very operationally focused game, very much a chip off the 25/60 block. I think I like this more than both of those; it plays quicker than either of them. The one thing I really appreciate about 25 branch games is how witholding is often a strategic decision rather than a desperation move. Features Double/triple/Quadruple jumps.
NY
- Extremely Cash-rich game with a fairly linear board and relatively similar track development each time. Has Hex Trains and fiddling with minors that usually end up in a pig of a nationalised company (The NYC) but sometimes the NYC is actually lucrative. Minor merging/shenanigan potential.
SJ
- It'sOK. It's a partial cap game with nationalisation and extra track lays for building the designated government route, and 4! different bonuses you can pick up. I tihnk the bonuses are a little too much, the nationalisation is a little too random.

21Moon
- Not a huge fan. It's like a bastard lovechild of 2038 and 1841. Double homes, the ability to split your runs by using different trains from different bases, a weird form of partical capitalisaiton and copany ownership, towns that decrease in value as you go on - just feel there's a lot of different things going on that don't really gel/click, an lots of things done differently just to be different. I may be biased against it because it's an entirely fictional setting.

As for 22PNW
The changes as highlighted by the designer from 22MX (other than the lack of the NdeM) are:
- No concesssions (You have a designated minor that will grow up to be a major, major formation is by merging the minor with the any toher minor) - 7 majors in total.
- Lumber (Works like coal in 1817)
- 2 Megacities, Portland/Seattle, but only one set of value upgrade disks - only one of them can go to $100
- Builder cubes return
- Ski resort private
- 7 trains can outrun Es in specific circumsstances

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone received their Riverfolk Hirelings pack for Root? If so, can you tell me what the "3 Tarot Cards" listed on the back of the box are? There was nothing in mine, and Google/BGG/Youtube unboxings are of no help. It's not listed on the component list on the website either: https://ledergames.com/products/root-riverfolk-hirelings-pack

Anyway, Marauders arrived. It's beautiful. Keepers in Iron seem a bit unwieldy, rules-wise, but Lord of the Hundreds looks really clever and fun. Looking forward to finally having some satisfying 2-player play with the hirelings.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Jewmanji posted:

Has anyone received their Riverfolk Hirelings pack for Root? If so, can you tell me what the "3 Tarot Cards" listed on the back of the box are? There was nothing in mine, and Google/BGG/Youtube unboxings are of no help. It's not listed on the component list on the website either: https://ledergames.com/products/root-riverfolk-hirelings-pack

Anyway, Marauders arrived. It's beautiful. Keepers in Iron seem a bit unwieldy, rules-wise, but Lord of the Hundreds looks really clever and fun. Looking forward to finally having some satisfying 2-player play with the hirelings.

They're in the second photo on that link, it's the actual cards for the hirelings. If you bought multiple things on the kickstarter, odds are they're packaged with the other hireling cards.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

They're in the second photo on that link, it's the actual cards for the hirelings. If you bought multiple things on the kickstarter, odds are they're packaged with the other hireling cards.

Oh I see, that dimension card is colloquially called a "tarot". Got it. I'm a dummy. Thank you!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A bit bittersweet, just sold my copy of Xia. Was the first game I backed on KS, and one I had a lot of fun with, even if the gameplay is inherently flawed a bit.

Looks like I've also managed to sell Root Maruaders + Twilight Struggle. A bit rough on these ones, but being able to flip them towards repairing my PC is going to help immensely

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Survived putting my first Folded Space together yesterday and today. The box is clearly unhappy with me, but I've got Aeon's End (plus 1 expansion), AE: War Eternal (plus 1 expansion) and most of AE: Legacy (the market cards and the replayable nemeses) living under one lid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

This game is in effect a giant roll and write style engine builder game of many tracks and bonuses that all have synergy. There were many times where I played a card, moved up a few spaces on one track, got bonuses that cascaded to moving up elsewhere, which unlocked more bonuses, etc. When approached that way and not as a traditional tableau builder where I wanted to strategically play cards, the game really opened up and things took off. Instead of working towards a big animal card I had or multi turn plans, I just focused on stacking bonuses everywhere and suddenly everything clicked and I was cruising along. I'm not saying this is the correct or best way to play, but it's certainly the most reliable way to do well because you can't rely on a strategic card based strategy, despite that being the heart of the game. It's a tactical race, not a grand strategy game. The most thought I had to put into later turns was "what level do I have to let this card get to?" which is good for keeping game moving along, but also not very satisfying for a game this big.

Little bit behind but I just had my first game of Ark Nova and there's a lot in this post that matches my experience. The action card system felt pretty great and is a very satisfying backbone for the game but there is just too much cruft on top of it. Fun game in the end but it took some wrestling with it to get there.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Speaking of the action card system from Ark Nova. Has anybody tried the Terra Incognita expansion for Civilization A New Dawn?
I picked up the base game last year, with the intention of supplementing it with the expansion. Before I bought it I heard the expansion made an unremarkable game into something truly great. Now the expansion is finally back in stock in my country. So was wondering if the praise is to be believed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

uncle blog posted:

Speaking of the action card system from Ark Nova. Has anybody tried the Terra Incognita expansion for Civilization A New Dawn?
I picked up the base game last year, with the intention of supplementing it with the expansion. Before I bought it I heard the expansion made an unremarkable game into something truly great. Now the expansion is finally back in stock in my country. So was wondering if the praise is to be believed?

I have the expansion but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Civ New Dawn is pretty good just with the base game, though.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

uncle blog posted:

I picked up the game + expansion for cheap a few months ago. I have only played it with the expansion so it's hard to compare to the base game, but I have really enjoyed the game. I think the action card system is really novel, and it seems like it was improved upon in the expansion with faction-specific techs.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Im not sure if this is the right thread:

War of the Ring players, what's the best trick for playing sauron? The person who taught me how to play didnt have me using the Stacking rule so I destroyed him with cartoonish armies with 15+ units on them.

Then I played with a different guy and found the stacking rule. And then my army got poo poo-slaughtered at Minas Tirith, and I rolled eyes and orbs and no mustering or army squares and aragorn kind of just conquered all of mordor while Frodo was smoking a bowl in edoras.

So it seems playing defensively works both ways. Having a big army matters less than having lots of elites, which matters the absolute most.

Also, do leaders and heroes like aragorn count as "army units" or is that just the orange and blue guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Im not sure if this is the right thread:

War of the Ring players, what's the best trick for playing sauron? The person who taught me how to play didnt have me using the Stacking rule so I destroyed him with cartoonish armies with 15+ units on them.

Then I played with a different guy and found the stacking rule. And then my army got poo poo-slaughtered at Minas Tirith, and I rolled eyes and orbs and no mustering or army squares and aragorn kind of just conquered all of mordor while Frodo was smoking a bowl in edoras.

So it seems playing defensively works both ways. Having a big army matters less than having lots of elites, which matters the absolute most.

Also, do leaders and heroes like aragorn count as "army units" or is that just the orange and blue guys?

Leaders and heroes do not count as army units. The good guy player can only stay super defensive for so long, as they have limited armies that do not get replenished when they die. The shadow pieces go back into the supply when killed, so they would eventually overrun the dwindling good forces.