Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
shanley also used to date weev, the man who for my money seems to have been trying to break the record for 'largest swastika tattoo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1533022340887486466

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What a loving username my god

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://twitter.com/SuperFoxcade/status/1533144010759364608

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s funny is people thought Sony orchestrated this as some 5D chess move

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1533205862956773376?t=Kggp6cAKib8s9kIKwPT3YA&s=19

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Just you wait, butterflies! One day penguins will evolve flight. Then you'll be sorry.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tree Bucket posted:

Just you wait, butterflies! One day penguins will evolve flight. Then you'll be sorry.

I like to think they didn't really want to harm the butterfly so much as it just provided entertainment to chase it

Wouldn't be much of a snack after all, especially divided among them

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is people thought Sony orchestrated this as some 5D chess move

They sure got the film back in theatres fast after that totally organic meme bombardment started, huh. A failed publicity attempt is still a publicity attempt.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every generation has to learn the limits of irony, both on the business side and the meme side.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
So the real question, what other stupid meme property could we trick studios into wasting a ton of money on?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sassassin posted:

They sure got the film back in theatres fast after that totally organic meme bombardment started, huh. A failed publicity attempt is still a publicity attempt.

So you really believe they were able to make an insanely popular meme from nothing but couldn’t get people in the seats

You really gonna die on that hill

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you really believe they were able to make an insanely popular meme from nothing but couldn’t get people in the seats

You really gonna die on that hill

No, but they don't need to make it from scratch. Just take a mildly popular one and pump up it up further.

Also, I don't really know how movie distribution works, but would they even really lose any money on distributing the movie again? The distributor would just send the file back out to theaters and with this movie's age, I feel like most of the ticket price would be going to the theater instead of the studio, based on some quick googling. Like, it seems like purely a publicity thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Okay so what are you basing that on. What’s your evidence for this conspiracy theory? That there is no way a bad movie could be a meme?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KnowNothingTV/status/1532909889391140865?t=4rYEgL9HiNQ4wWhrbYGfug&s=19

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Okay so what are you basing that on. What’s your evidence for this conspiracy theory? That there is no way a bad movie could be a meme?

Mostly that all the memes really took hold a month and a half to two months after the original "it's morbing time" tweet without any real iteration or alteration of the joke.

Why do you care so much? Like, it'd be one company making an attempt at a bad marketing move, which is hardly a conspiracy imo.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A company not capable of making a watchable superhero movie but somehow capable of making a successful meme campaign but also not capable of using that successful meme to rerelease bad movie?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/shirtsthtgohard/status/1533109614006312960?t=zsOOyN4YaVoGO0MhOzcEEA&s=19

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kazil posted:

A company not capable of making a watchable superhero movie but somehow capable of making a successful meme campaign but also not capable of using that successful meme to rerelease bad movie?
Oh my god shut the gently caress up your inability to understand systems is not someone else's problem

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Mostly that all the memes really took hold a month and a half to two months after the original "it's morbing time" tweet without any real iteration or alteration of the joke.

Why do you care so much? Like, it'd be one company making an attempt at a bad marketing move, which is hardly a conspiracy imo.

A lot of memes don't follow a predictable life cycle. I've read plenty of of knowyourmeme.com explanations where the story is like some guy two years ago said something and it got mild attention and morphed a couple times and died off and then out of nowhere someone stumbles across it again, reposts it or otherwise revive it somehow and it blows up.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1532901164697665536?s=20&t=_BrZEtz_0x7b2Tb_DZWU4w

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mind the walrus posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up your inability to understand systems is not someone else's problem

no need to morb out about it :(

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

kazil posted:

I mean, they did rerelease it though. The theaters could've just said no to showing it again.

Also, I went to see how morbius compared to the first suicide squad and how the hell did that movie make $746 million? I never really was one to go to the theater to watch movies, so I hadn't realized how hard covid had hit the industry.

Anyway, tweets.
https://twitter.com/kibourainbou/status/1532844328757907460
https://twitter.com/gorangligovic/status/1532323571833491458
https://twitter.com/ivysaurre/status/1532221994548224000?t=4375sabgi_csoG8jZ1o-8Q&s=19

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Morbius is a Marvel movie about some C-list Spiderman villain, starring Jared Leto. No one needs to watch it or even look at a review to know that it is an absolute dog turd. It is a movie absolutely nobody wanted, produced by a Blockbuster studio. Of course people were going to make fun of how ill-conceived an idea it was; it was always going to become a meme and would at best be a cult classic commercially. None of that is the least bit shocking, other than Morbius being greenlit in the first place.

Like Margot Robbie actually has fans, and there were people who wanted a Suicide Squad movie. You can't really compare them.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
It's a superhero comicbook movie. Of course it stinks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mean, they did rerelease it though. The theaters could've just said no to showing it again.

I think they were hoping it would be a The Room kind of thing that people would go see to make fun of?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

gleebster posted:

It's a superhero comicbook movie. Of course it stinks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's really underselling it; superhero movies typically wind up being massive commercial successes. It stinks by comic book supehero movie standards.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's really underselling it; superhero movies typically wind up being massive commercial successes. It stinks by comic book supehero movie standards.

I was going to joke about how it's bad by video game movie standards, but it did make about twice as much as Super Mario Bros.

It has not, however, surpassed Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.

e: I'm wrong, I was reading the wrong line. Morbius surpassed all three in box office.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh good now we are in goons need to be edgy portion of whenever comic book movies come up. We get it your not like the other girls

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh good now we are in goons need to be edgy portion of whenever comic book movies come up. We get it your not like the other girls

what?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Nobody asked, but X2 was my favorite superhero movie when I was a kid and is probably still my favorite to this day (no doubt due to nostalgia).

I was also obsessed with Blade 1 and 2. :kiddo: I wanted to be a vampire hunter when I grew up.

I am most definitely not a vampire hunter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People just jumping in to an unrelated discussion just to tell us how much they hate Comic book movies.

We get it goon get popular thing, you don’t need to tell hs every time it comes up

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

🎼One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong... 🎵

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

People just jumping in to an unrelated discussion just to tell us how much they hate Comic book movies.

We get it goon get popular thing, you don’t need to tell hs every time it comes up

You... okay there, buddy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Also, I went to see how morbius compared to the first suicide squad and how the hell did that movie make $746 million? I never really was one to go to the theater to watch movies, so I hadn't realized how hard covid had hit the industry.

Suicide Squad had Margot Robbie and Will Smith and while, as we can tell from Morbius, Jared Leto himself doesn't necessarily but butts in seats, the Joker does. A poo poo ton of people saw Suicide Squad, just most of them didn't like it. And again, even among people who didn't like the movie, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn was specifically very popular, hence making two more movies with her playing that character.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Hyperlynx posted:

🎼One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong... 🎵

Look dude, I don't know what kind of charmed life you've led if you never hosed around and created an MLM company by accident.

At least once a month I'll be making dinner and next thing I know it's like aw gently caress, my spaghetti is Amway again???

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Look dude, I don't know what kind of charmed life you've led if you never hosed around and created an MLM company by accident.

At least once a month I'll be making dinner and next thing I know it's like aw gently caress, my spaghetti is Amway again???

He was talking about the TayTay account. The rest are Gaga stans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you haven't already you should probably call it a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

You... okay there, buddy?

I don't think I've ever seen CharlestheHammer in a state that I would readily describe as 'okay'.