Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Alctel posted:

Oh yeah the province also bought up a bunch of hotels in Victoria and turned them into supported housing for homeless people, that was cool

It's these glimmers of actual Good Policy that make it more infuriating when they are lovely

As someone in an industry that has had historical difficulties unionizing, the new union-process rules were an unexpected small bit of good news. We have to do 1000% more to deal with the housing catastrophe here in BC… and the rest of the country… but I’ll appreciate wins where I can get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The BC NDP suck rear end but they've done plenty of good things, it's just never even close to enough. It's maddening they're almost certainly going to lose the next election to a party that has zero intention on meaningfully solving the problems people are worked up over (housing, health care, gas prices, etc.) and in fact make a ton of things worse. This country loving sucks rear end.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I really hope the Ontario NDP and Liberals do some serious soul searching. They’ve really run an absolutely lacklustre campaign and have only themselves to blame for Ford winning again.

I don’t mean to be shilling for the PCPO because I didn’t vote for them. But if you don’t have any political interest beyond election season which is true for a lot of people, the Ford government is not some Christian nationalist movement Conservative party. Ford is a populist. For a lot of people who still drive to work for their jobs or deal with kitchen table issues he’s actually delivered things that at least on paper sound pretty good.

Your average Joe doesn’t care how the license plate renewal money will be offset by cuts or taxes elsewhere. He just sees the ford govt issued them a $390 dollar check. Then there’s that right to disconnect law.

14 years of liberal rule and two golden opportunities for the NDP and it took a conservative govt to codify my right not to be hassled after work by my employer?

I work for a company that has people plugged in all the time. People who know me know how incredibly stressed out I am by all the emails and phone calls I get on a non stop basis expecting immediate response or else people complain. There’s zero respect for personal boundaries or work hours. I don’t get paid to read emails, answer calls and work after hours and with this latest legislation I’m no longer just informally allowed to be unreachable after business hours, now it’s my right under provincial labour laws. I’m sure the law falls short in a variety of ways but we need more of that kind of stuff where people actually get something instead of just being told their taxes are gonna go up while the OLP or whoever cozy up to bay street for another cycle and give me gently caress all and diddly squat.

This is less a vote of confidence for Doug and more my utter disappointment and lack of enthusiasm for anyone else. The NDP better start listening to their grassroots because if another wet blanket like Horvath gets in I’ll find it difficult to even bother showing up to vote at this point.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kraftwerk posted:

. The NDP better start listening to their grassroots because if another wet blanket like Horvath gets in I’ll find it difficult to even bother showing up to vote at this point.

Welcome to the 57%

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The "ban all future" part is laughable.

Dear Pierre:

You won't be remembered in 10 years. You certainly don't get to make decisions for other governments in 10 years, especially decisions that are based on public health.

Also, when you pretend that you can make decisions that are binding forever, your tiny dictator-weenie is hanging out of your shorts.

If you really want to be remembered or make decisions that people will continue to refer to years from now, you'll have to actually build or create something, which is an actually difficult thing to do that requires an actually intelligent person, so neither your party and especially you are going to be able to do that so let's stop pretending.

Sincerely,
Rational Canadians

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

The "ban all future" part is laughable.

Dear Pierre:

You won't be remembered in 10 years. You certainly don't get to make decisions for other governments in 10 years, especially decisions that are based on public health.

Also, when you pretend that you can make decisions that are binding forever, your tiny dictator-weenie is hanging out of your shorts.

If you really want to be remembered or make decisions that people will continue to refer to years from now, you'll have to actually build or create something, which is an actually difficult thing to do that requires an actually intelligent person, so neither your party and especially you are going to be able to do that so let's stop pretending.

Sincerely,
Rational Canadians

He's gonna be a big shot caller in PM Dougie's government and they're going gently caress over shitloads of people because our democracy is a sham

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tighclops posted:

He's gonna be a big shot caller in PM Dougie's government and they're going gently caress over shitloads of people because our democracy is a sham

I'm pulling for the inevitable heart attack for Dougie before that's even an issue. Not wishing it on him specifically, but he's not living like he's planning that far ahead so why should we worry about it either.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm pulling for the inevitable heart attack for Dougie before that's even an issue. Not wishing it on him specifically, but he's not living like he's planning that far ahead so why should we worry about it either.

lmao if you think you're gonna get that lucky then start playing the lotto my droog

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
PP Is 100% going to be PM. This country is doomed. DooooooooooooooOOOooOOooomed!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

PP Is 100% going to be PM. This country is doomed. DooooooooooooooOOOooOOooomed!

Are you reacting to that Toronto Star article where they said he signed up 300,000 members to vote for him?

I am a bit concerned PP might win leadership and PM status too. I think a voter apathy is building up coupled with trucker convoy adjacent die hards and people who want pandemic restrictions gone who might put him in office.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I didn’t think PP was gonna win the leadership but lol if the competition is gonna be Charest and Patrick Brown

we’re also due for a “kick the bums out” election where we swap between red and blue teams

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kraftwerk posted:

14 years of liberal rule and two golden opportunities for the NDP and it took a conservative govt to codify my right not to be hassled after work by my employer?

I work for a company that has people plugged in all the time. People who know me know how incredibly stressed out I am by all the emails and phone calls I get on a non stop basis expecting immediate response or else people complain. There’s zero respect for personal boundaries or work hours. I don’t get paid to read emails, answer calls and work after hours and with this latest legislation I’m no longer just informally allowed to be unreachable after business hours, now it’s my right under provincial labour laws. I’m sure the law falls short in a variety of ways but we need more of that kind of stuff where people actually get something instead of just being told their taxes are gonna go up while the OLP or whoever cozy up to bay street for another cycle and give me gently caress all and diddly squat.

Where are you getting that from? The law is just that they have to have a policy, not that the policy gives you the right to not be hassled.

quote:

https://www.ontario.ca/document/your-guide-employment-standards-act-0/written-policy-disconnecting-from-work

Written policy requirements

The employer’s written policy must be on “disconnecting from work,” which is defined to mean not engaging in work-related communications, including emails, telephone calls, video calls or sending or reviewing other messages, to be free from the performance of work. As the list of work-related communications is inclusive, and not exhaustive, other types of work-related communications could also fall under this definition.

The employer must include the date the policy was prepared and the date any changes were made to the policy. Other than these requirements, the ESA does not specify the information the employer must include in the policy nor does it specify that the policy must be a particular length. The employer determines the content of the policy itself.

The ESA does not specify that the policy provide a right for the employee to disconnect from work and be free from the obligation to engage in work-related communications.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm curious what PM PP does. In campaign mode he's very good at staying juuust this side of the line so he can plausibly claim he didn't actually do a racism etc. If he does the same in power, he'll be indistinguishable in practice from the last decades of rule (though we'll never hear the end about the breaches of decorum).

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Where are you getting that from? The law is just that they have to have a policy, not that the policy gives you the right to not be hassled.

If that’s true what’s the point of this?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's less good than it could be bit it does at least force expectations to be explicit, which helps cut down on abuse ime - similar to requiring every business to have a harassment policy, safety training, accessibility policy, privacy policy, etc.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Are you telling me that the law that they passed about this thing is that all the businesses have to say out loud that they aren't going to do it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bleck posted:

Are you telling me that the law that they passed about this thing is that all the businesses have to say out loud that they aren't going to do it.

welcome to the Ford government

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kraftwerk posted:

I mean, you thought it was something a reasonable person would think. So they get some credit without actually doing anything. And it's a nudge, making employers have the policy makes them want to have a policy that's competitive with other places in this kind of tech hiring climate I guess. I've been watching this one for a while and a surprising amount of people think it gives them a right to not be hassled after hours. You should ask your HR department for a copy of their policy on Monday because they should legally have it in place now.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
the actual voter tally

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Samuel Glompers posted:

At least the BCNDP brought back card check, that's pretty cool

Less cool is refusing to build any meaningful amount of social housing or co-ops. Or any? Maybe one in Vancouver's river district??

E:card check means union organizers only need to get a majority of workers to sign union cards for the union to be created.

In BC I believe the threshold is 55% for it to happen without going through the old bs system, which was a majority signing cards + election period in which the employer has free reign to intimidate and propagandize the workers, then election day, THEN the results to see if a union has been created or not

They've also brought in this Community Agreement stuff for big projects which seems like a pretty union friendly thing and a significantly different approach than the public-private partnership approach of the BC Liberals.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018PREM0057-001406

I fully expect them to play big time hardball whenever the various public employees unions contracts come up, but other than that I feel like this has been a government that has been passing legislation to help unions.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Femtosecond posted:

I fully expect them to play big time hardball whenever the various public employees unions contracts come up, but other than that I feel like this has been a government that has been passing legislation to help unions.

Public service union is having a strike vote right now

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

urf posted:

the actual voter tally

Have seats allocated by vote share but including people who didn't vote. The share of the vote that is unaccounted for goes towards representatives that are randomly chosen by lottery. Doesn't get more proportionally representative than that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

Are you reacting to that Toronto Star article where they said he signed up 300,000 members to vote for him?

I am a bit concerned PP might win leadership and PM status too. I think a voter apathy is building up coupled with trucker convoy adjacent die hards and people who want pandemic restrictions gone who might put him in office.

Mostly because a lot of people aren't taking him as a serious threat and are underestimating scared white people and the "team sports" voters. Conservatives seem to have figured out what NuPolotik looks like while everyone else is still playing the old game.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Stanley Pain posted:

Mostly because a lot of people aren't taking him as a serious threat and are underestimating scared white people and the "team sports" voters. Conservatives seem to have figured out what NuPolotik looks like while everyone else is still playing the old game.
Sounds a lot like the 2016 American election...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sashimi posted:

Sounds a lot like the 2016 American election...

Picture perfect isn't it. 🤮

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kraftwerk posted:

Now you’re starting to understand.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Have seats allocated by vote share but including people who didn't vote. The share of the vote that is unaccounted for goes towards representatives that are randomly chosen by lottery. Doesn't get more proportionally representative than that.

Or just switch to a system like STV

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

It seems weird to say this about a party that lost their third election in a row less than a year ago. They got those memberships from PP’s stance on pandemic restrictions, which isn’t going to mean much by 2025. And thanks to the NDP-Lib agreement an early election is not in the cards.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blood Boils posted:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2022/5/30/1_5925332.amp.html

Cops training to go undercover is apparently as gross and as stupid as you can imagine! We can only hope it was expensive as well

"Ok Johnson, pretend I'm a mafia don. Prove your loyalty! Let me pee in your mouth"

This doesn't even make sense. Those are not things normal people would happily do, but they are not illegal. So if you are a criminal mastermind playing Fear Factor with your new recruits, you'll know that anyone who guzzles pee without complaint is either a cop or a pervert.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Is it necessary for me to drink the CO's urine? Probably not, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste!"

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Am I missing something or are the complaints about bill s-7 all missing the mark? I've seen a bunch of articles and poo poo about how it's an erosion of freedom but as far as I knew before they didn't need a reason at all to search your phone and poo poo. Maybe I'm missing something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It involves pre-clearance, which is a thing that should not exist in any sense beyond allowing US officers the rights of civilians to perform inspections. If that's not enough for them, then let us go through customs and immigration in the US, or, equally, insist on the right of CBSA to perform arbitrary inspections on United States soil for flights destined to Canada.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 5, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Coxswain Balls posted:

Elect all seats by random ballot -- one ballot is chosen at random from the riding and that ballot decides the winner. No other votes are counted.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I say randomly chosen I don't mean out of the pool of candidates that signed up. Someone in the riding just gets a letter in the mail saying "congrats, you're now an MP. Here's the salary and benefits, good luck!".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I say randomly chosen I don't mean out of the pool of candidates that signed up. Someone in the riding just gets a letter in the mail saying "congrats, you're now an MP. Here's the salary and benefits, good luck!".

gently caress me, I'd prefer jury duty.

EDIT: Actually, no, I wouldn't. Salary and benefits of an MP sounds like a perverse incentive for me not to vote under the proposed system, in fact.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 5, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

I kinda like this system when things are functioning normally. When things are a disaster though this feels like it could be aggravating when the balance of power is held by a rando who spends too much time on 4chan.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

PT6A posted:

If that's not enough for them, then let us go through customs and immigration in the US, or, equally, insist on the right of CBSA to perform arbitrary inspections on United States soil for flights destined to Canada.

I think the CBSA have that right but the government has never bothered to implement it. Probably easier for the Americans to do given most Canadians heading down to the states do it from one of only a few places.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Coxswain Balls posted:

A parcel, containing a letter, and a ringing cell phone with 83 messages and 400 unread emails

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Entropic posted:

Elect all seats by random ballot -- one ballot is chosen at random from the riding and that ballot decides the winner. No other votes are counted.

The Serene Republic of Canada has a nice ring to it if we kick out the Queen along with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

StealthArcher posted:

The Serene Republic of Canada has a nice ring to it if we kick out the Queen along with.

I’d go with “The Unified Republic of Canada” to signify the several distinct nations within Canada.