Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

It’s not the typical Wild West, but Laird Barron’s The Men From Porlock is a great short story set in a late 19th or early 20th century logging camp in the Pacific Northwest. It’s in his Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All collection.

Sasquatch involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s not the typical Wild West, but Laird Barron’s The Men From Porlock is a great short story set in a late 19th or early 20th century logging camp in the Pacific Northwest. It’s in his Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All collection.

Well that’s reason to get around to that. Thanks.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ Is that the one that starts out with the Pinkerton detective? I loved that one. Beautiful Thing might've been my favorite Barron, of the three I've read (Occultation / Imago)

Andy Davidson's Valley in the Sun is a western vampire story. His second book was great. I haven't read that one though.

There's a whole bunch of "Splatter Westerns" with cool covers but I doubt they're worth reading.

There is a story in that Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All collection... the last story.... Thomas Ligotti, Ellen Datlow, and a bunch of other authors are characters in a story. It's strange and feels a little mean spirited. I would like to hear other people's thoughts on that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Discord has failed me.

Can anyone here suggest a good horror story set in the Old West?

Joe Lansdale has a whole bunch. Check out Dead in the West.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Hunger by Alma Katsu is good horror set in the old west.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is amazing. Maybe I'm pushing it a bit on recommending that as horror though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Any of y'all write?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Joe Lansdale has a whole bunch. Check out Dead in the West.

Looks fun, but no Kindle version.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

escape artist posted:

Any of y'all write?

We dabble

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Charlz Guybon posted:

Death's Head Press has a whole series of "splatter westerns" if that's your thing.

https://deathsheadpress.com/collections/splatter-westerns

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bulldozer is another good one like that, I think from occultation?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Count Thrashula posted:

Death's Head Press has a whole series of "splatter westerns" if that's your thing.

I'll take all of these, thanks.

Leave me alone, I will never read a good book.

Actually trying to wrap up Lovecraft's Monsters before I start Necroscope 5 again and the story The Same Deep Waters As You about the animal psychic going to see the prisoners from the Innsmouth raid was extremely cool and good.

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 3, 2022

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

escape artist posted:

Any of y'all write?

Relentlessly.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

escape artist posted:

Any of y'all write?

No, I just think about it a lot. My husband is an actual writer though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

Any of y'all write?

Yes.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So recently I've been getting into what I call "investigative horror". Stuff where the story is told through a standard narrative, but also through the use of police reports, pictures, witness statements, etc.

I've read Devolution Max Brooks, Carrie by Stephen King, and The Troop by Nick Cutter.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm really hooked on the stuff now but am not sure how to search for it on Kindle.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I enjoy the "looking through a collection of documents" horror story because of The Call of Cthulhu.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Untrustable posted:

So recently I've been getting into what I call "investigative horror". Stuff where the story is told through a standard narrative, but also through the use of police reports, pictures, witness statements, etc.

I've read Devolution Max Brooks, Carrie by Stephen King, and The Troop by Nick Cutter.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm really hooked on the stuff now but am not sure how to search for it on Kindle.

I'll assume you've read them already but that's Max Brooks' whole thing, so if you liked Devolution you'll like WWZ and Zombie Survival Guide.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Untrustable posted:

Check out The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Untrustable posted:

The Boss In the Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil by Avram Davidson is great and has one of my favourite ever confront the ghost scenes.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Wylding Hall by Elizabeth Hand is a great little folk horror story framed as the recollections of a 60s band about a recording session.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 5, 2022

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I had picked up FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven and finished it in a sitting. It's seriously good.

It's a series of interviews with the survivors and others surrounding a giant amusement park that is rendered inaccessible by a massive hurricane. Over 40+ days the hundreds of workers at the park go a little bit crazy.

I also found out that "investigative horror" has an actual name: "epistolary horror".

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 5, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

The Boss In the Wall: A Treatise on the House Devil by Avram Davidson is great and has one of my favourite ever confront the ghost scenes.
This is a great recommendation that bears repeating.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Matt Wesolowski's series 'Six Stories' is a faux podcast covering a single fictional crime that have a horror element to it. It's a little True Crime flavored but not obnoxiously so. It's mainly one person, 'Scott King', investigating and interviewing various people related to each incident. The first book is called 'Six Stories' but so far there is six novels in the series. I think Changeling is my favorite of the series, for the forest horror portion. It hits the sensation of vulnerability quite well.

There's also Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall which does have a variety of media transcripts, like video transcripts, interviews, photo descriptions, etc. Though it also features in universe occurrences, so it's not entirely a post incident recounting. However it's Young Adult genre and features teenagers as the main cast. It's no The Fisherman by John Langan, but can scratch an itch if you don't mind tolerating the fact that you're not the intended audience.

By the way, Knifepoint horror is great, big thanks for the rec. I'm slowly listening through the whole archive, and so far I love 'Occupiers'. What a great story, really nicely put together.

Spoilers for Occupiers by Knifepoint Horror.

The grey horse being the Pale Horse that Death rides from the christian bible was a lil on the nose but I do love the ensuing symbolism. And the arrow stabbed into the horse's left flank, sinister side, and not quite hobbling it. A physical, constant reminder of interior and exterior trauma caused by the way, by other humans. drat.

How Mephra(sp?) is so terrified of death that he eventually becomes it, literally bound to the grey/pale horse as an avatar of Death itself, unable to escape or break away from the trauma war has done to him.

I also love the ending! I didn't expect that. By choosing to not continue being a soldier, or to fire his weapon, by waiting and watching and in some way also choosing mercy like the young blonde woman did, he survives. He survives in some way, and is able to return to society. I mean, that's the way I heard it.

I also like the alchemical symbolisms, I think?? The square the horse draws around must be a house, and of all if them present during that only the young blonde woman and the mc soldier returns to said 'house'. Also is gold / blonde the alchemical opposite of silver / grey? I'm not sure. This might be a reach But there's that too. ALSO the religious symbolism, wow.

A drat neat story.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I told you, hoss. Knifepoint owns.

Tell me when you get to "fields".

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

value-brand cereal posted:

Matt Wesolowski's series 'Six Stories' is a faux podcast covering a single fictional crime that have a horror element to it. It's a little True Crime flavored but not obnoxiously so. It's mainly one person, 'Scott King', investigating and interviewing various people related to each incident. The first book is called 'Six Stories' but so far there is six novels in the series. I think Changeling is my favorite of the series, for the forest horror portion. It hits the sensation of vulnerability quite well.

I checked this out, and the first three novels are currently available in one collection on Kindle for 99 cents. Picked it up.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Knifepoint Horror is interesting also because I feel like these stories would absolutely not work in text form (and afaik before the podcast some of them were self published to little acclaim) but are fantastic as audio.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I told you, hoss. Knifepoint owns.

Tell me when you get to "fields".

It sure as poo poo does. I'm marked down for scared and excited for Fields. I'm working my way back chronologically lest I miss one, and I'm only on 'Excursion'. What the hell.

ravenkult posted:

Knifepoint Horror is interesting also because I feel like these stories would absolutely not work in text form (and afaik before the podcast some of them were self published to little acclaim) but are fantastic as audio.

Absolutely agreed. A lot of times when I check out a podcast I think eh, I'd rather just read the transcript. Nothing against most voice actors or casual podcasters, but I prefer my 'head voice' over listening to other voices. The voice actors, Soren Narnia et al, do a wonderful job making it feel completely natural and not like they're reading a script out loud to their iphone.

Untrustable posted:

I checked this out, and the first three novels are currently available in one collection on Kindle for 99 cents. Picked it up.

Nice!! I hope you enjoy it!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ever read Ambrose Bierce? Can Such Things Be is pretty great as I recall. Its also free

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Old Gods of Appalachia does indeed pick up, just stick with it. This season’s even focused on the the ‘people’ sworn to the Things Under the Mountains, so a lot more gnarly poo poo is happening.

Pseudopod is also an excellent horror story podcast. Unwell is good too, for those of you who like an ongoing story. The White Vaults and first season of The Black Tapes along a similar vein.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Untrustable posted:

I also found out that "investigative horror" has an actual name: "epistolary horror".

Don't forget Dracula, the OG epistolary horror.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flopstick posted:

Don't forget Dracula, the OG epistolary horror.

Frankenstein is epistolary and predates Dracula by a good 80 years. And I don't think even that was the first epistolary horror novel; the form goes well back into the 18th century.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Thank you Xiahao Dun for sending me a copy of Between Two Fires!!! I cannot wait to read it!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Hey so I bought Red Station immediately after you posted this and I just picked it up. I'm about ten pages in and it's really got a lot of character. The author definitely knows how goofy western novels are written.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Hey so I bought Red Station immediately after you posted this and I just picked it up. I'm about ten pages in and it's really got a lot of character. The author definitely knows how goofy western novels are written.

That's actually the only one in the series I've read! They're all by different authors and aren't necessarily connected, so you can just pick up whichever one. I really enjoyed Red Station.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

The 13th Koyote is by the only author who's ever been gross enough I just quit the book. (The Night Stockers)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Hey whoever recommended knifepoint horror, it was pretty great. The production values are very nice and the stories suitably creepy

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Ooh...Definitely gonna check this out

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh hey, new Ellen Datlow anthology? It's called Screams from the Dark and it features thread favorites Nathan Ballingrud, John Langan, and Laird Barron. Here's the full table of contents. I just picked it up, but I'm very excited for Mr Stephen Graham Jones and Ms Priya Sharma. I remember quite enjoying Sharma's Ormeshadow, though that was a few years ago. Going by the copyright, it looks like all new stories? I'm not personally sure, but it looks like a great selection.

quote:

You Have What I Need by Ian Rogers
The Midway by Fran Wilde
Wet Red Grin by Gemma Files
The Virgin Jimmy Peck by Daryl Gregory
The Ghost of a Flea by Priya Sharma
The Atrocity Exhibitionists by Brian Hodge
“The Father of Modern Gynecology”: J. Marion Syms, M.D. (1813–1883) by Joyce Carol Oates
Here Comes Your Man by Indrapramit Das
Siolaigh by Siobhan Carroll
What Is Love But the Quiet Moments After Dinner? by Richard Kadrey
The Island by Norman Partridge
Flaming Teeth by Garry Kilworth
Strandling by Caitlín R. Kiernan
The Special One by Chịkọdịlị Emelụmadụ
Devil by Glen Hirshberg
Crick Crack Rattle Tap by A. C. Wise
Children of the Night by Stephen Graham Jones
The Smell of Waiting by Kaaron Warren
Now Voyager by Livia Llewellyn
The Last Drop by Carole Johnstone
Three Mothers Mountain by Nathan Ballingrud
Widow-Light by Margo Lanagan
Sweet Potato by Joe R. Lansdale
Knock, Knock by Brian Evenson
What Is Meat with No God? by Cassandra Khaw
Bitten by Himself by Laird Barron
Burial by Kristi DeMeester
Beautiful Dreamer by Jeffrey Ford
Blodsuger by John Langan

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Howls from the Dark Ages is OK. The quality has been pretty variable but most of the stories are at least interesting in their settings. It's cool that some are set outside Europe.

I really dislike the tone of the segments between stories where a cheeky narrator introduces an object from the stories. I'm not opposed to the idea when done well - I just find something irritating about this execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah honestly after the first two I just started skipping those interludes. I didn't feel like they added anything and were mostly just mildly eyeroll-worthy.